Wild Card Weekend - Wild Card Weather

1 minute ago, GottaRun said:

TMRW (Tomorrow app) shows 6" snow Saturday and 5" Sunday with 22mph wind Sunday.  Not ideal but hopefully they can clear the Saturday snow from the stands and field so all we are dealing with is Sunday's weather.

Are there worse forecasts out there?

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/orchard-park/14127/daily-weather-forecast/2128285?day=3

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, GottaRun said:

TMRW (Tomorrow app) shows 6" snow Saturday and 5" Sunday with 22mph wind Sunday.  Not ideal but hopefully they can clear the Saturday snow from the stands and field so all we are dealing with is Sunday's weather.

As many others have said, you shouldn't be trusting any sources that aren't NOAA/NWS or 2/4/7 when it comes to lake effect.

https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lat=42.773700000000076&lon=-78.78695999999997

• Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Play the game.  Josh can still throw the ball.

I gotta agree…belichicks face when Josh started throwing darts into the wind in that infamous wind game was priceless.  The result of that one was an absolute fluke and people take it like it’s gospel.

we’ve won all of the high wind games I can think of but that one 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

57 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

That report has been shot down, however that was prior to the forecast that came out this morning.

IMO, it would make the game a home game for the Steelers and the Bills would lose their home field advantage.

Steelers fans will be able to travel safely to Cleveland without a worry about the storm.

Bills fans would need to drive through the storm to get to Cleveland.

With all due respect I really don’t think that’s the issue. I believe the consideration is that of general public safety, not home field advantage. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, SoCal Deek said:

With all due respect I really don’t think that’s the issue. I believe the consideration is that of general public safety, not home field advantage. 

Not sure I implied differently. 

IMO, it would make the game a home game for the Steelers and the Bills would lose their home field advantage.

With all due respect, if you followed this thread I've been giving caution to the general public about this weather event since... the very first post. 

6 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

They can consider multiple things at the same time lol and given the clock has pretty much run out on moving it and still having the game at 1 Sunday, its likely they prefer a reschedule over moving it if the weather gets too bad 

17 minutes ago, GottaRun said:

Is that 6” throughout the day or later in the day happening?

6 minutes ago, WEATHER DOT COM said:

Not sure I implied differently. 

With all due respect, if you followed this thread I've been giving caution to the general public about this weather event since... the very first post. 

No personal attack implied. 

from NWS Orchard Park for Sunday

Snow before 8am, then a chance of snow showers between 8am and 11am, then snow after 11am. The snow could be heavy at times. Areas of blowing snow before 8am, then areas of blowing snow after 11am. High near 24. Windy, with a southwest wind 26 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.

If I’m the Buffalo Bills I’d rather play the Steelers on a neutral site, preferably indoors, when my roster is clearly stronger than Pittsburgh’s as opposed to having something as fickle as weather serve to level the playing field. 

• Agree 6

24 minutes ago, BrettFavre said:

Enjoy your weather posts, not a shot at you.

It feels like WNY is losing its generational winter coping abilities since we don't get consistent snow anymore. And now a funny thing is happening where people think every storm is going to be a 5 footer. We used to get a foot or two all the time. Carpool if you don't have a snow vehicle, drive slow, don't spin your tires, pack some supplies and a shovel in case. It's not the end of the world.

There will likely be 8-12 inches of fluffy lake effect snow in the stadium. Brush it off, trudge through it, toss a snowball at your buddy, bask in the glory of weather that only happens in a handful of places in the world. 

If you lived thru last year's winter and were south of Williamsville, you would get it.

Last year almost broke me and I grew up here and have lived here my whole life outside of a 12 year period in my college years and the 8 years after. 35+ years.

In the snow belt areas.

It's simply changing. The heavier storms are becoming more frequent due to the lakes often being at record warm temperatures now and the amount of moisture that can be sucked up and then dumped is directly proportional to the difference between the air and water temperature, which is becoming higher and higher over time.

I'd much rather get 7 feet over 4 weeks than have 7 feet in 2 days and then nothing for the other 3 weeks and 5 days. That's the main difference 

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

27 minutes ago, SCBills said:

This is killing my excitement for the game.

Just hoping we find a way and move on.

Fight so hard for 18 weeks to get to a point where we’re potentially looking at, not a football game, but a test of which side can handle blizzard conditions better. 

It's not right. There's way too much that goes into this for a playoff game and a team's season to be decided by the weather.

• Agree 6

4 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

If you lived thru last year's winter and were south of Williamsville, you would get it.

Last year almost broke me and I grew up here and have lived here my whole life outside of a 12 year period in my college years and the 8 years after. 35+ years.

In the snow belt areas.

It's simply changing. The heavier storms are becoming more frequent due to the lakes often being at record warm temperatures now and the amount of moisture that can be sucked up and then dumped is directly proportional to the difference between the air and water temperature, which is becoming higher and higher over time.

I'd much rather get 7 feet over 4 weeks than have 7 feet in 2 days and then nothing for the other 3 weeks and 5 days. That's the main difference 

Agree with you. Rather have first 7 feet of snow 4 weeks something like that. Rather than hit all at once. Hitting big at once is awful.

I don’t know if it’s been said upthread, but in the unlikely event the game is moved to Cleveland it’s advantage Bills despite the loss of home field. If the weather is decent there then the bills can fully release Josh the Kraken! I don’t think it will happen but I would be fine with it. In a way I wish it would happen. The bills are the better team. I think the forecast in Buffalo helps Pittsburgh a lot more than us.

4 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

It's not right. There's way too much that goes into this for a playoff game and a team's season to be decided by the weather.

Were supposed to have an advantage in "our" weather and in our stadium.   Run the ball better, scramble better, play D better, punt better and win the turnover margin.

Why do you guys root for a northern team if you're just going to b-- and moan every time we have to play a game in winter weather?  Root for the Jaguars if you don't like it -- they need the extra fans more than we do.

Edited by BillsFanSD
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

If I’m the Buffalo Bills I’d rather play the Steelers on a neutral site, preferably indoors, when my roster is clearly stronger than Pittsburgh’s as opposed to having something as fickle as weather serve to level the playing field. 

Right. The Bills probably beat the Steelers 8 out of 10 times in a dome.

In a snowstorm? Maybe 5 or 6 out of 10. It increases randomness, which plays to the benefit of the lesser team.

Maybe we should've played Kyle Allen last week in Miami ....

12 minutes ago, nucci said:

Snow before 8am, then a chance of snow showers between 8am and 11am, then snow after 11am. The snow could be heavy at times. Areas of blowing snow before 8am, then areas of blowing snow after 11am. High near 24. Windy, with a southwest wind 26 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 45 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%.

That sounds rough.

Years ago I was at RWS when Bledsoe was the qb and we were playing Arizona.  It wasn't snowing but the winds were insane. He tossed a little screen and the wind blew the football backwards.

45 mph is rough but winds like this would give Josh a decided edge against really any other passer in the world imo.

3 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

When does the NFL have to make a decision on when the game is going to be played or if it’s moved? 

I’m not sure, but I’d think it would come down early tomorrow morning at the latest.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Why do you guys root for a northern team if you're just going to b-- and moan every time we have to play a game in winter weather?  Root for the Jaguars if you don't like it -- they need the extra fans more than we do.

There’s a difference between a team being built to win games in cold, wind, snow.. 

We are. 

It’s why we drafted Josh Allen.

We have focused heavily on the lines and look to have finally got it right.  

The forecast for Sunday (potentially) isn’t anything you can prepare for.  

So, by all means, pretend this is “tough guy northern football”… if the worst case scenario plays out, it’s not … it’s completely random and makes a mockery of the sport. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

Well, it's happening. Chance of precipitation on Sunday in Orchard Park is 100% and the forecast is for 8-12" Saturday Night on top of that.

Latest forecast:

"Saturday Night

Snow. The snow could be heavy at times. Areas of blowing snow. Low around 21. Windy, with a southwest wind 28 to 36 mph, with gusts as high as 60 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%. New snow accumulation of 8 to 12 inches possible.

Sunday

Snow before 7am, then a chance of snow showers between 7am and 10am, then snow after 10am. The snow could be heavy at times. Areas of blowing snow after 10am. High near 24. Windy, with a southwest wind 26 to 30 mph, with gusts as high as 44 mph. Chance of precipitation is 100%."

I'm getting the sense that they're looking for the worst part of it to take place in the overnight hours on Sat night, with a slowdown during the fist part of the day Sunday, then a re-enforcing shot cranking back up again later on Sunday, possibly not until late afternoon or evening.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

In the snow belt areas.

I hear ya, I'm a major snow lover. I live around Elmwood and we had 7' drifts last year. I was walking around in the teeth of it all day just for fun, plus Cole's was open 🍻. It was the most incredible natural occurrence I've ever witnessed.

But my point is that the less frequent medium sized storms are causing Buffalonians to forget how to handle snow. I'm 37 and none of my buddies prepare properly. We used to get a foot overnight and just drive over it in the AM. Now it's 50° or 5' of snow, nothing in between.

This is shaping up to be like the Colts game last year, but significantly windier. That's a very rare weather game. But we got a rare QB and rare fans, so let the chips fall where they may. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

So if I were a Miami fan, I should be fine if my team had to play in a hurricane?  I mean watching professional athletes try to navigate a blizzard is always cool, for about two minutes.  After that, it’s a boring game of two teams forced to run all game and try not to turn the ball over, let alone its knee injuries waiting to happen.  Plus, it lessens our passing attack advantage.  And that doesn’t even get into the public safety logistics.  To each their own, although that’s my reasoning for not getting excited about playing in a blizzard.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

Right. The Bills probably beat the Steelers 8 out of 10 times in a dome.

In a snowstorm? Maybe 5 or 6 out of 10. It increases randomness, which plays to the benefit of the lesser team.

Maybe we should've played Kyle Allen last week in Miami ....

Implied odds of Pittsburgh winning are 20% at +365. Plenty of money to be made if anyone thinks they have a 50% chance.

5 minutes ago, BrettFavre said:

I hear ya, I'm a major snow lover. I live around Elmwood and we had 7' drifts last year. I was walking around in the teeth of it all day just for fun, plus Cole's was open 🍻. It was the most incredible natural occurrence I've ever witnessed.

But my point is that the less frequent medium sized storms are causing Buffalonians to forget how to handle snow. I'm 37 and none of my buddies prepare properly. We used to get a foot overnight and just drive over it in the AM. Now it's 50° or 5' of snow, nothing in between.

This is shaping up to be like the Colts game last year, but significantly windier. That's a very rare weather game. But we got a rare QB and rare fans, so let the chips fall where they may. 

Haha, then you should move away from Elmwood because you miss out on the majority of the lake snow events. 

Yeah, it's definitely becoming more irritating and as I get older I am getting more and more tired of the giant snowpiles to deal with are becoming more frequent. Never had a 7 foot snow event until 2014 and that was described as a "once in 1000 year storm" and it literally happened again 8 years to the day later.

• Like (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

So if I were a Miami fan, I should be fine if my team had to play in a hurricane?  I mean watching professional athletes try to navigate a blizzard is always cool, for about two minutes.  After that, it’s a boring game of two teams forced to run all game and try not to turn the ball over, let alone its knee injuries waiting to happen.  Plus, it lessens our passing attack advantage.  And that doesn’t even get into the public safety logistics.  To each their own, although that’s my reasoning for not getting excited about playing in a blizzard.

This is a good analogy.  

In Miami, you expect heat, humidity and rain.  You, as a fan, prepare for that.  The team trains for that.  The team is likely built to play in that. 

In Buffalo, this time of year, you expect cold, wind and snow.  We, as fans, prepare for that.  The team trains for that.  The team is built to play in that. 

What we’re seeing forecasted is equivalent to Miami earning the two seed, only to host a playoff game as a TS/Cat 1 hurricane moves over the stadium. 

You can play through it… but it’s not football. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Agree 3

10 minutes ago, Simon said:

I'm getting the sense that they're looking for the worst part of it to take place in the overnight hours on Sat night, with a slowdown during the fist part of the day Sunday, then a re-enforcing shot cranking back up again later on Sunday, possibly not until late afternoon or evening.

From what I am reading it seems the bands will be moving more than normal, steering the heaviest snow to different areas

• Thank you (+1) 1

This could be a positive if they let Allen throw the ball and stack the box on defense. Rudolph doesn’t have the arm strength to cut through strong winds and it’s limits the Steelers already limited  offense. I’m not saying Buffalo should air it out the entire game, but I don’t want it becoming like the Pats/Bills game a couple years ago where they don’t let Allen throw the ball until it’s too late.

So hypothetically speaking... If they did cover the new stadium... would it survive 2+ feet of snow in a 24 hour period?

I genuinely don't know, I'm not asking rhetorically thinking I already know the answer.

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ

12 minutes ago, BrettFavre said:

I was walking around in the teeth of it all day just for fun, plus Cole's was open 🍻. It was the most incredible natural occurrence I've ever witnessed.

:thumbsup:

image.thumb.png.2646cbb04322c76447f23609a90f5519.png

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Haha, then you should move away from Elmwood because you miss out on the majority of the lake snow events. 

Yeah, it's definitely becoming more irritating and as I get older I am getting more and more tired of the giant snowpiles to deal with are becoming more frequent. Never had a 7 foot snow event until 2014 and that was described as a "once in 1000 year storm" and it literally happened again 8 years to the day later.

Elmwood certainly isn't the Southtowns, but we get blasted more than people think. On the same lake effect path that hits the airport. 2001 was the first 7 footer I remember, but it spanned a week from Christmas Eve to NYE.

NWS snowfall projections for Sunday should come out tonight yeah? 

37 minutes ago, nucci said:

Yes and 8-12 inches Saturday night prior to this.

1 minute ago, BrettFavre said:

Elmwood certainly isn't the Southtowns, but we get blasted more than people think. On the same lake effect path that hits the airport. 2001 was the first 7 footer I remember, but it spanned a week from Christmas Eve to NYE.

Yes...Buffalo is showing 22.2" currently as the projected storm total thru Monday morning

12 minutes ago, Simon said:

This is exactly the same thing I'm seeing from all of the LOCAL forecasts here around Buffalo.

You guys with the sky is falling attitude (nice play on words there) need to relax, you sound like a bunch of little school girls for cryin out loud!

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, BrettFavre said:

Got this so far, but predicting this kind of event is a bit of a lark, imo.

StormTotalSnowWeb.jpg

• Agree 1

31 minutes ago, BillsFanSD said:

Nobody’s trembling in their boots here. It’s a legit discussion about some severe weather. Maybe you should step outside and suck in some of those nice hot Santa Ana winds and get over yourself. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.