Questions for 12/31 home game.

skijef

Hi Mafia: 

I'm coming with my two boys (one is Giants fan, my fault) from NJ this weekend for their very first NFL game. I was an UB international student in the 90s. The last Bills home game I attended the QB was Rob Johnson. So please bear with me since I haven't been there for a long time.

First, can we enter the stadium with water bottles(with water)? I've checked the Bills site which doesn't say yes or nay. Also, any suggestions on the parking? We will be heading east after the game. Last, which tailgate party shouldn't we miss?

Thank you in advance and any info would help.

Jeff

• Like (+1) 1

You cannot bring water bottles into the stadium.

Here's a complete list of what you can/cannot bring

https://www.buffalobills.com/stadium/gate-entry-and-permitted-items

You can put any food items inside the 1 gallon plastic bag. I've personally brought in stuff like a bag of chips and a wegmans sub and never had problems. 

• Like (+1) 3

Make sure the boys dress warm, then add some layers to that. Just like NFL wins, there are no style points for attending.

They sell hot chocolate in the stadium and your boys will prefer that to water.

I also come from the east and like Lot 4.  After the game, a left out of the lot onto Southwestern, then a left on McKinley Pkwy gets you to the east and out of the muck in pretty short order.

Edited by BillnutinHouston
  • Like (+1) 3

I recommend parking off site on Webster road (to head east). You walk 1/2 mile but you don’t get stuck in a lot leaving. port-a-pot and owner onsite. I usually cook Italian sausage, peppers. 

stadium $6 expensive water inside. hot chocolate for the true experience—great stuff at 33F

dress like you are camping in rain or ski. 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/BGmyphUDDmyLBLuL7?g_st=ic

Edited by Since1981
  • Like (+1) 2

Looks like temps in the 30’s with a 35% chance of precipitation. On top of staying warm, you’ll want to stay dry. Is there anything worse than 35 degrees and raining? If you don’t have proper foul weather gear, you can get ponchos that fold up smaller than a deck of cards for a couple bucks each anywhere, like the Target camping section. If you don’t need them, that’s great. You can use them for something else. 

I have to suggest at least checking out Hammers Lot, but you’ll have a blast anywhere. Enjoy the special experience with your boys! I took each of mine when they turned 16, and it was amazing! 

• Like (+1) 3

I’d recommend parking on Big Tree (20A) in one of the private lots on someone’s front lawn for $20-$30. On the SOUTH side of the road.  Right around the Kings Ct area.

Then, after the game you have an easy right back onto Big Tree and then a smooth merge onto the 219 northbound (and then eventually that becomes the 90 eastbound).

Have done this since the 2018 season with very few issues.  Only game I can remember where it was pretty dicey traffic-wise was last season’s SatNF game against Miami, but that’s because it was coming down pretty hard after the game.

Don’t do this if you don’t feel like walking a little over a half mile, though :)

• Like (+1) 2

30 minutes ago, Augie said:

Looks like temps in the 30’s with a 35% chance of precipitation. On top of staying warm, you’ll want to stay dry. Is there anything worse than 35 degrees and raining? If you don’t have proper foul weather gear, you can get ponchos that fold up smaller than a deck of cards for a couple bucks each anywhere, like the Target camping section. If you don’t need them, that’s great. You can use them for something else. 

I have to suggest at least checking out Hammers Lot, but you’ll have a blast anywhere. Enjoy the special experience with your boys! I took each of mine when they turned 16, and it was amazing! 

I always recommend wool socks and a good pair of boots.  Keeping your hands and feet warm is key part of the battle.  Fur trapper hats are money too.

• Like (+1) 3

1 minute ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

I always recommend wool socks and a good pair of boots.  Keeping your hands and feet warm is key part of the battle.  Fur trapper hats are money too.

As a little kid half the fun of going to the Rockpile in the winter was stuffing our boots with newspapers, getting bundled up in layers and taking that HOT bullion in for when you needed it.  Yes, you could take a thermos in back then. I suppose it’s a better and safer idea than rolling in a pony keg! 

Hands and feet are critical, but hands are easier to protect. I never wore anything but sneakers all winter long, except when I was going to be sitting still at a Bills game in the cold for hours. 

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, RiotAct said:

I’d recommend parking on Big Tree (20A) in one of the private lots on someone’s front lawn for $20-$30. On the SOUTH side of the road.  Right around the Kings Ct area.

Then, after the game you have an easy right back onto Big Tree and then a smooth merge onto the 219 northbound (and then eventually that becomes the 90 eastbound).

Have done this since the 2018 season with very few issues.  Only game I can remember where it was pretty dicey traffic-wise was last season’s SatNF game against Miami, but that’s because it was coming down pretty hard after the game.

Don’t do this if you don’t feel like walking a little over a half mile, though :)

I agree with this.  I would suggest Best Spot (linked below) or anywhere east of it on the south side 20A.  It's important to note that they shut 20A down right at One Bills Drive, so it'll impact where park. I can make it back to Rockland County in about 5:25 from there, so if you are going all the way home it's the only way to fly...  PM me if you have questions. 

https://maps.app.goo.gl/HLLPrK2iKrT7MXC27

As for tailgating, Hammer's and his buddy right across Abbot are both great...

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

You cannot bring water bottles into the stadium.

Here's a complete list of what you can/cannot bring

https://www.buffalobills.com/stadium/gate-entry-and-permitted-items

You can put any food items inside the 1 gallon plastic bag. I've personally brought in stuff like a bag of chips and a wegmans sub and never had problems. 

You would be surprised what stuff I’ve seen people around me bring in. 

4 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

The good news is that you can still piss in the bathroom sink for another 4 years. But after that, nothing is guaranteed. 

Agree - for over 22 years straight....in thru the out door piss in the sink and good to go!!!

• Like (+1) 1

I always like to remind folks that it isnt a quick game inside a stadium. It's a 6+ hour outdoor arctic adventure. Possibly way more if you are tailgating.

Layers. Snow pants. Ski Jackets. Sorel Caribou-type boots. Heat packets.

If it's going to rain - all of the above plus slickers over the top

• Agree 1

Hate to hijack the thread a bit, but what are the best wing joints near the stadium?  I’m staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Hamburg.  I see there is a Duffs in OP which would be cool.  Was thinking maybe trekking to Wingnuts or Bar Bill though.  Any thoughts?  I just don’t want to wait 2 hours for a table.

To get to the Duffs in OP, it is where Southwestern and Union Road meet . Take Union Road north and where OP Road  spits off to the left is Duffs. Bar Bill has 2 locations- Clarence and East Aurora. both 10 miles from the stadium. Have no idea where Wingnuts is.

Edited by Wacka
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, RiotAct said:

This is easily the best place to park around the stadium if you're heading east.  I've done it the last few years (most recently after the Giants SNF game) and it is light years better than messing with any of the official stadium lots or dealing with the lots along Southwestern or north of the stadium on Abbott.

I've used the same guy's lawn right at the corner of 20A and Kings Ct, I think it's roughly $25.  I can get onto 20A within a minute or two and be out of dodge shortly after the end of the game.  We typically stay at the Hampton in East Aurora and we're back there in about 15 minutes after we get to the car.

• Like (+1) 2

10 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

Hate to hijack the thread a bit, but what are the best wing joints near the stadium?  I’m staying at the Holiday Inn Express in Hamburg.  I see there is a Duffs in OP which would be cool.  Was thinking maybe trekking to Wingnuts or Bar Bill though.  Any thoughts?  I just don’t want to wait 2 hours for a table.

Duff's in OP will suit you just fine. There might be better places around, but they arent remarkably better, and Duff's should be easier to get into.

• Like (+1) 1

Parking should be based on where your seats are, generally, If you are in in 101-120 park on the east side (Route 20) , 121 to 143 west side ( Route 20A).  You can use the same logic with the upper deck. 

I have been doing to Bills games for 40+ yrs and figured its better to walk an extra 5-10 minutes than spend 45+ minutes in the lot.  i would go to a private lot and tell the attendant that you have a long drive after the game and need to leave quickly, I will often slip them $10+.  This has never failed me.

I also live in NJ and have the same Giants issue (lol) and know your pain. 

PS-take them to the Hammer Lot.  He will be a Bills fan for life!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Johnny Hammersticks said:

If you don't get any good suggestions, at least after your first night's stay you should know exactly where all the best spots are. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.