Steelers Damontae Kazee Suspended Rest of Season

BuffaloBillyG

Was wondering why they never showed the reply during the game.  Now I see why.  

hopefully Pittman recovers but the colts lose every game.

OT-  I forget which poster was telling me Gabe Davis was equal to Michael Pittman and would get paid as much as him, if not more, this offseason?  😂. Who is you??  Own it!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3

I thought he might have killed the Colts receiver with that hit...it was brutal...but it was equally brutal on Minshew for throwing that ball to that location. You gotta be better as a QB and know you can't make that throw leading your receiver into that type of situation. That's why Minshew is a backup. Dude is going to get his receivers killed eventually.

Unacceptable throw by Minshew.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Vomit 1
  • Dislike 1

17 minutes ago, MJS said:

Wow, suspended the rest of the season? That seems pretty harsh.

Not if the league is serious about player health, sends a message to everyone, and that is a good thing imo, 😁👍

• Thank you (+1) 1

The penalty seemed a little harsh ... until I looked at his history:

https://www.si.com/nfl/steelers/news/nfl-fines-pittsburgh-steelers-damontae-kazee-fifth-time#:~:text=Kazee was one of nine,of which have been %2411%2C806.

Prior to this hit, he was fined 5 separate times for unnecessary roughness this season.

There's a clear history and intent here. This last one could have paralyzed his opponent. The suspension was the correct move.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 6

7 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

Very brutal.  And not condoning the hit like that.

What was his other option though?  Slow down and then hit him? (NOT being sarcastic)

Yes pretty much. Or at least keep your head UP so he can see what he is hitting and how he is going into contact. Dropping your head and launching towards guys needs to be an automatic suspension, if not outright ban from the league. Enough is enough with this crap. It's just poor, lazy technique.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

I thought he might have killed the Colts receiver with that hit...it was brutal...but it was equally brutal on Minshew for throwing that ball to that location. You gotta be better as a QB and know you can't make that throw leading your receiver into that type of situation. That's why Minshew is a backup. Dude is going to get his receivers killed eventually.

Not if the defender just tackles him instead…, just sayin, 

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Not if the defender just tackles him instead…, just sayin, 

No...because you assume when you are putting your WR in a defenseless position when 3 defenders are bearing down on him that the worst is going to happen. That's one of the first rules you learn as a QB, not to put your receivers in those positions.  He will be getting an earful from his OC/QB coach today when they watch the film.

5 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Not if the league is serious about player health, sends a message to everyone, and that is a good thing imo, 😁👍

Apparently, he has a history of that this season. So, I can get behind the suspension.

If this was a first time thing, I think it would be far too severe.

No...because you assume when you are putting your WR in a defenseless position when 3 defenders are bearing down on him that the worst is going to happen. That's one of the first rules you learn as a QB, not to put your receivers in those positions.  He will be getting an earful from his OC/QB coach today when they watch the film.

How about the rule that prohibits purposefully trying to injure an opponent…, is that one to be disregarded?

Rename him Damontae Kamakaze

• Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, TampaBillsJunkie said:

Jack Tatum would call that a routine hit. My have the rules changed. It was pretty reckless though.

Yeah, those types of hits used to be celebrated. I think it's good that things have changed, but sometimes it feels like any hard hit is going to get a flag, even if technically within the rules, which sucks.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Unacceptable throw by Minshew.

So QBs who throw to open spaces in zones are making unacceptable throws? We see that multiple times a game by QBs good and bad every week. Granted, the throw lacked a finer touch but it was a good attempt nonetheless. The only unacceptable aspect of the play was Kazee’s criminal lack of self control. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

How about the rule that prohibits purposefully trying to injure an opponent…, is that one to be disregarded?

The rules don't really try to govern intent. They try to govern the actual, physical actions of the players.

Even a call like intentional grounding, with intent in the name, is not actually governing intent. They have physical rules around it (no receiver within X amount of yards, etc.).

5 minutes ago, K-9 said:

So QBs who throw to open spaces in zones are making unacceptable throws? We see that multiple times a game by QBs good and bad every week. Granted, the throw lacked a finer touch but it was a good attempt nonetheless. The only unacceptable aspect of the play was Kazee’s criminal lack of self control. 

Bad throw, bad ball position and leading his receiver into a defenseless position where he is likely to get murdered.  It was a bad throw with inaccurate ball placement and serving his receiver up on a silver platter to get hit hard without the ability to protect himself. So yes, that's bad QB play and there won't be one actual QB that played in the NFL that says otherwise.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 2
  • Disagree 2

Just now, MJS said:

The rules don't really try to govern intent. They try to govern the actual, physical actions of the players.

Even a call like intentional grounding, with intent in the name, is not actually governing intent. They have physical rules around it (no receiver within X amount of yards, etc.).

Well maybe the rule should be refreshed to include intent with these sort of hits that are known to be injury causing, what ya think in this sort of case? 

Bad throw, bad ball position and leading his receiver into a defenseless position where he is likely to get murdered.  It was a bad throw with inaccurate ball placement and serving his receiver up on a silver platter to get hit hard without the ability to protect himself. So yes, that's bad QB play and there won't be one actual QB that played in the NFL that says otherwise.

So disregarding overt hits to cause harm is okay then…, it goes both ways, 

23 minutes ago, MJS said:

Explains the intentional grounding call when Allen had the horse collar non-call. Apparently the refs don't think Gabe Davis counts as a receiver anymore either.

Edited by Brit
  • Haha (+1) 3

2 minutes ago, Don Otreply said:

Well maybe the rule should be refreshed to include intent with these sort of hits that are known to be injury causing, what ya think in this sort of case? 

So disregarding overt hits to cause harm is okay then…, it goes both ways, 

Not saying it at all...just saying the QB should know better.

• Disagree 1

Just another hit in virtually every other game prior to 1990s… I’m surprised someone wasn’t killed during all those vicious years of play.

I think todays athletes are so much bigger and faster and maybe that’s why the smaller slower less athletic players of yesteryear were able to get away with it.

• Agree 3

14 minutes ago, MJS said:

I think it's good that things have changed, but sometimes it feels like any hard hit is going to get a flag, even if technically within the rules, which sucks.

The ridiculous call on the tough hit Shakir took yesterday is a good example of that.

• Angry 1
  • Agree 1

The NFL has gradually allowed more contact in the secondary to slow down offense's and keep games closer and outcomes less certain...........and one aspect of that is that they have backslid on the player safety with regard to hits in and from players in the secondary.......and now they gotta' correct it.    

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Any QB worth his salt would say he needs to make a better throw in that situation. But QBs make those throws all the time. Minshew missed. Simple as that. It was a poor throw, not a poor decision because the receiver found the open area in the zone and that’s where the ball is supposed to go. 

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.