McDermott’s Defense against #1 Offense? Discuss

BringBackFergy

If I were a bird, I'd be one who targets mcds parked car enough to draw bb gun fire.

He lost the plot in the second half vs Philly, but post bye week he's turned a corner.

It's not play calling and scheme, that's been great mind you, it's how prepared and reved up and confident the guys are.

Phillips and Lawson made real impacts on the game, stepping up for injured players and being responsible while being on tilt and aggressive.

I've pointed out all the things that our team breaks my heart with, and how that is quite often largely related to coaching, so the least I can do is point out when the coaches have the team like some wolves in a pack just slaughtering a convoy.  

Even the garbage time drives had the cowboys having to earn every yard.

• Like (+1) 1

I’ll tell you what it’s not fair for me to have killed this dude when it was going bad and hide now. The last 2 weeks the defense was wonderful. Great job great coach, great job defense. And also what an excellent move by Beane to get Douglas. Very pleased to be wrong about the defense. They have absolutely stepped up. Hope we can sneak in here because we are the best team in the AFC

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

I have been critical of some of the DC work Sean has put out there this year...  but the past 2 weeks he has done a really nice job, both in terms of scheme and playcalling. 

He knows how to scheme.  No question.  Miami.  Shut them down.  Philly first half.  Dominant.  Kc.  Good team D....Dallas.  dominant.  

He's been amazing against good competition.   Too vanilla vs bad. 

Was tired of hearing for years that we have to improve our tackling but we tackled really well today. All the more impressive given the size of our linebackers.

The Bills were always swarming to the ball on D and it was really impressive. Pass rush without the need for blitzes was good too.

Given the injuries to key players, it's all the more impressive. I wasn't happy with McD for a long time but he's done well lately.

Dallas only TD drive was against mainly backups and even then everything was hard for them...as soon as they were catching the ball their receivers were getting absolutely drilled...

Dak had nobody open, even the underneath stuff was covered well.  

McD with another masterclass performance.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

Give it to McDermott. 

Whatever the media or fan narrative, the players are playing their guts out for him. 

The are playing hard for sure. The players left it all on the field the last two games. They are razor focused and playing well. Hopefully, it's not too little too late. 

You have to give praise and when deserved. Certainly, McD deserves the upmost "flowers" for his game plan and his players' focus, execution, and effort. There's no quitting on the Bills team. 

Today's game was so much fun to watch. Let's enjoy it and quickly move on to the Chargers. The Bills have to remain focused and take one game at a time. No let up. 

Side note. I may be going to the game since I'm only a couples of hours from LA. 

McD and the defense were phenomenal. If I'm going to bash him repeatedly I,have to acknowledge when he was lights out. Called a near perfect game in all facets.

Doesn't take away the fact his defense choked away last drive losses multiple times this season. 

If they don't make the playoffs it is squarely on McDermott for hiring Dorsey and for his defense folding against the Pats, Broncos, and Eagles(twice).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Worth saying we are 12th in total defense and 4th in points allowed. Which given the three key pieces we have been without for practically the entire year, including two first team all pros, is really impressive. I think some of the gameplans and late game playcalling have been bad at times, but equally those overall numbers given the injuries are pretty strong. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

12 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

Fire his ass!!!!

first is was a great game, no BS.  Second: one great game does NOT wipe out all the last drive of a half/game/ OT failures. Sorry, it does NOT.  This team if he had done his damn job wouldn't be worrying about playoffs right now, we would have at least 10 wins.  So we can stop the sarcastic BS.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

47 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

first is was a great game, no BS.  Second: one great game does NOT wipe out all the last drive of a half/game/ OT failures. Sorry, it does NOT.  This team if he had done his damn job wouldn't be worrying about playoffs right now, we would have at least 10 wins.  So we can stop the sarcastic BS.

You mad, bro?

What a game he called. Guy finally didn’t run into a deep shell and give a team whatever they wanted underneath. Very aggressive which works out. 

The old adage goes… Pressure bursts pipes. 

Cowboys were way off from looking even remotely competent. 

2 hours ago, BringBackFergy said:

I didn't realize McDermott was coaching Tyler Bass to miss FG's he made automatically last year.

Excuses are for losers. This is the NFL. Pull up your big boy pants.

I like how McDermott has stepped his game up since Dunne's article but I still want him fired if this team misses the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

The frustrating thing about McD in his entire time here is that he is so inconsistent in these big games. He has gotten so many big games right . Yesterday the team look prepared and they executed almost flawlessly. Then other games where they look woefully unprepared in all areas (like Cincy playoff game etc).  Yesterday might have been in McD's top 3 as coach.

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

I have been critical of some of the DC work Sean has put out there this year...  but the past 2 weeks he has done a really nice job, both in terms of scheme and playcalling. 

Since Brady has taken over it does seem to have lightened his load and given him a second wind, can't count the Jets game 1st game with Brady and also the Jets don't have an offense. He started to do it against the Eagles then it's like he had a relapse starting in the second half. But it does feel like they're building steam right now and it's a hell of a time to do it.

16 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Sean has to take a lot of credit for a defensive performance that rivals any in years. These players were prepared to be physically dominant and fundamentally sound. No stupid penalties, great tackling and pressure when needed was what we served up today. Dallas walked out of Buffalo a beaten and demoralized team. What an incredible game.

That team came into Buffalo as a top Super Bowl contender and walked out questioning their existence.

• Like (+1) 1

16 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Sean has to take a lot of credit for a defensive performance that rivals any in years. These players were prepared to be physically dominant and fundamentally sound. No stupid penalties, great tackling and pressure when needed was what we served up today. Dallas walked out of Buffalo a beaten and demoralized team. What an incredible game.

The McDermott Era is full of great games and dominant performances. Yesterday was no exception. But can they play that focused week after week after week?

That's always been the issue under McDermott. The lack of consistency. They'll play a great game, maybe two great games in a row. But then follow it up with a stinker where the team is out of synch, tight, unmotivated, unfocused, etc.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Wayne Arnold said:

The McDermott Era is full of great games and dominant performances. Yesterday was no exception. But can they play that focused week after week after week?

That's always been the issue under McDermott. The lack of consistency. They'll play a great game, maybe two great games in a row. But then follow it up with a stinker where the team is out of synch, tight, unmotivated, unfocused, etc.

Watch more teams, that’s everybody. Including the SB winners.

• Like (+1) 3

13 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

If they played that focused week after week after week we’d have won 6 straight Superbowls and remain undefeated. Life doesn’t work like that. Your demanding perfection in a week to week league. 

Other than the perfect game vs NE, I don't think I've seen Buffalo play with such determination, physicality and preparedness as they did yesterday vs what is considered a good team.  Even the DB's...the coverage was STICKY.  And the hitting was crazy...some of it seemed like it was borderline late but hey, it sends a message.  Just a great game by McDermott.  Props to him for getting the team to play like that.  They defended every blade of grass.

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

53 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Watch more teams, that’s everybody. Including the SB winners.

45 minutes ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Not like McDermott's Bills.

Someone already mentioned the Chiefs. How about them Cowboys, who beat the crap out of the defending NFC champs and then got dominated by the Bills?

How about the Dolphins, who pinned 70 points against the Broncos and then got torched by the Bills.

Or the Eagles, currently the #2 seed in the NFC standings, who nearly lost to the Bills and got destroyed by Dallas.

The whole league has been inconsistent.

• Like (+1) 3

Look at what they have done against #1 receivers since the Bucs game:

Evans 3 catches 39 yards

Chase 4 catches 41 yards

Sutton 8 catches 53 yards

G. Wilson 2 catches 9 yards

AJ Brown 5 catches 37 yards

Kelce 6 catches 83 yards

Lamb 7 catches 53 yards

That's pretty damn good defense against the other teams best weapon. They are starting to put it all together now and peaking at the right time.

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Agreed, but somehow this feels different. I think Sean is focused on defensive preparation and coaching physicality with the entire squad and he’s stressing discipline and cutting out penalties. Brady is calling plays that enhance the talent on the team and especially the O-line because they are playing with aggression run blocking for good backs. Too bad it took 3/4 of the season to get there.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, WhoTom said:

Someone already mentioned the Chiefs. How about them Cowboys, who beat the crap out of the defending NFC champs and then got dominated by the Bills?

How about the Dolphins, who pinned 70 points against the Broncos and then got torched by the Bills.

Or the Eagles, currently the #2 seed in the NFC standings, who nearly lost to the Bills and got destroyed by Dallas.

The whole league has been inconsistent.

Yep.

Every team has a random sleep walking inexplicable loss, except for the 1972 Dolphins.

It's the NFL. Always has been.

2 hours ago, Wayne Arnold said:

Not like McDermott's Bills.

Follow up question, what current coach didn't have head-shaking stinker in the NFL? This team lost 3 games in the regular season last year.

This is legitimate myopic, insane critique.

Edited by FireChans
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

3 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Since Brady has taken over it does seem to have lightened his load and given him a second wind, can't count the Jets game 1st game with Brady and also the Jets don't have an offense. He started to do it against the Eagles then it's like he had a relapse starting in the second half. But it does feel like they're building steam right now and it's a hell of a time to do it.

That team came into Buffalo as a top Super Bowl contender and walked out questioning their existence.

If they can run the table they’ll be favorites to get to the SB.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.