NFL owners approve game in Brazil for 2024 (5 total: 3 London/1 Germany/1 Brazil)

chongli

Just now, Nextmanup said:

KILL ME NOW.

The day will come when there is NFL on every day/night of the week...and the players' health will be the least of the league's concerns.

And they will make it an international sport, if they can.

Both of these are definitely what the NFL is going for. They keep adding days to test it out. Black Friday game this year. Wednesday game next year. And they are determined to shove the international thing down our throats. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Brail is two hours earlier than Eastern Time. They do not observe Daylight Saving Time, so early in the season they are only one hour ahead of Eastern Time. Perfect for a late DH game here in the US.

Game might involve the Dolphins as Muami has a huge ex-pat population from Brazil.

8 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Touchdown Jesus

IMG_3909.jpeg

Miami plays Jacksonville next year, as do we. But all AFC teams only have eight home games next year, so it would have to be Miami at an NFC team probably.

Edited by chongli
  • Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, WotAGuy said:

Touchdown Jesus

IMG_3909.jpeg

more like "incomplete" Jesus

6 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

Both of these are definitely what the NFL is going for. They keep adding days to test it out. Black Friday game this year. Wednesday game next year. And they are determined to shove the international thing down our throats. 

don't watch

• Haha (+1) 2

10 minutes ago, PetermansRedemption said:

They keep adding days to test it out. Black Friday game this year. Wednesday game next year.

That's what I thought when I read the subject line, but the tweet says that on Wednesday, they'll be announcing it. I don't think the game itself will be on a Wednesday.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

• chongli changed the title to NFL expected to announce on Wednesday regular season game in Brazil for 2024
9 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

That's what I thought when I read the subject line, but the tweet says that on Wednesday, they'll be announcing it. I don't think the game itself will be on a Wednesday.

Thanks...I changed the title to make it unambiguous.

• Like (+1) 1

The league can only require teams to play overseas in seasons they have 9 home games, though teams can volunteer to play games otherwise. But Miami (alone) has Brazil as an international home market, so it might. As mentioned earlier, it also has a large Brazilian ex-pat population.

Edited by chongli

39 minutes ago, chongli said:

LOL:

Hard for the NCF West as Brazil is either four or five hours ahead of them, depending on time of the season.

Yeah, I'm just thinking "marketability." I don't know if a Falcons-Titans game would excite Brazil, for example lol.

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

KILL ME NOW.

The day will come when there is NFL on every day/night of the week...and the players' health will be the least of the league's concerns.

Actually this is a way to extend the regular season to 18 weeks. I would expect the 2 Wednesday night teams would have the weekends before and after off. Each Wednesday game would eat up two weekends for those teams. At least there wouldn't be a major time change involved.

KILL ME NOW.

Regarding first statement not worth the effort.

NFLPA has more concern about getting players off fines and suspensions than their health proven by them objecting to safety equipment being made mandatory.

Why should NFL nor care more about the money?

2 hours ago, chongli said:

Brail is two hours earlier than Eastern Time. They do not observe Daylight Saving Time, so early in the season they are only one hour ahead of Eastern Time. Perfect for a late DH game here in the US.

Game might involve the Dolphins as Muami has a huge ex-pat population from Brazil.

Miami plays Jacksonville next year, as do we. But all AFC teams only have eight home games next year, so it would have to be Miami at an NFC team probably.

Cuba would be better for the North Cuba hairless marine mammals.

• Haha (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Actually this is a way to extend the regular season to 18 weeks. I would expect the 2 Wednesday night teams would have the weekends before and after off. Each Wednesday game would eat up two weekends for those teams. At least there wouldn't be a major time change involved.

In my original title I meant the NFL is expected to make the announcement Wednesday, but the Brazil game will be during normal days.

• Like (+1) 1

KILL ME NOW.

Federal law will not let it be on past 6pm on Fridays.

I think it's also something about Saturdays

49 minutes ago, boyst said:

Federal law will not let it be on past 6pm on Fridays.

I think it's also something about Saturdays

I'm wondering. This is what is in wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sports_Broadcasting_Act_of_1961

"Sports Broadcasting Act of 1961

The act withdrew antitrust immunity for any pro football telecast if a high school or college football game is being played within 75 miles (120 km) of the broadcasting station on Friday and Saturdays from the 2nd Friday in September until the 2nd Saturday in December. This provision, intended to protect high school and college football attendance, has the effect of barring national broadcasts of NFL games on those days, since virtually all of the country is within 75 miles of at least one high school game on every Friday night in September and October."

So I am wondering if this applies when the game in abroad.

[I was also going to post this in response to someone's post on @Ethan in Cleveland's thread about Saturday last week being the most boring day for sports, but I was not able to find that thread at the time.]

20 minutes ago, CircleTheWagons99 said:

Are they annoucing it on Wednesday or is it a Wednesday game?

They are announcing it Wednesday.

• chongli changed the title to NFL expected to announce on Wednesday (Dec 12) there will be a regular season game in Brazil in 2024
9 hours ago, khlax3 said:

Within the next few seasons there will be 16 international games a year. Every team will have 8 home, 8 away, and 1 international game. Likely split between 6-7 countries. 

There's an owner's vote today to decide if the minimum of international games increases from 4 to 8 from the 2025 season. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.