What’s with the dueling Monday Night games?

peterpan

I have always thought that the league limiting tv stations to 3 games between the 1 and 4 pm starts was super weird.  Why not just allow 4 games on? That’s seems like the easiest way to increase revenues.  

But this isn’t a bad idea either. I have non interest in the nfc game, but would watch the afc matchup. I do agree a staggering start time would be nice.  The 830 games go too late for an old fart like me

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, strive_for_five_guy said:

It’s an “experiment”

I'd love the idea if both of the games were good; or maybe even if just one of them was good.

Although I do think they should offset the kickoffs by about 20min so you could fully enjoy the end of both.

• Agree 1

It's week 14. Almost all of the tens of millions of fantasy football leagues around the world have their final regular season matchups this week. Fantasy players don't care about whether the game on TV is a good matchup. They care about their players and their opponents' players. In my 12-person league there are 10 teams who have players playing tonight. Five of those teams are still battling for position (regular season places/payouts plus playoff positions) and tonight's games will be the final deciding factor. 

ABC/ESPN no doubt realized this is one week where a lot of people will be watching whether the games are dogs or not. No doubt they paid for an extra game this week because they know millions of watchers will be using the back button as they switch between games, depending on who has the ball. And it's no big deal for a sports bar to have two games on instead of just one. 

That's my guess anyway. Pick the week 14 game in April. If it's a dog there will be the regular number of viewers plus a handful of extras rooting for their fantasy players. Make it two games in week 14 and have a better chance of at least one of them not being a dog, plus double the handful of extras watching as they pull for and against multiple players.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Yeah it's weird.

I have no idea why networks cannibalize their own audience, just like with the Manningcast thing.

I don't get it.

A double-header? Sure. Or even staggering it by 90 minutes, so that if the first game stinks, you can switch at halftime. But starting them at the exact some time? Bizarre.

Edited by Logic

42 minutes ago, peterpan said:

The League has done an early and a late MNF game in the past, but I can’t remember them ever having competing games at the same time in prime time.  What’s the reasoning here? Testing a new concept??

https://www.sportingnews.com/us/nfl/news/two-nfl-games-monday-night-football-doubleheader/164c3af4e262e4ae9a0a40f7

"Why are there two NFL games tonight?

"There is not a specific reason for the two games being put on Monday. ESPN said only in its release that by having two games at the same time, "ESPN and the NFL transform a Sunday afternoon environment into a primetime window."

"The latest schedule innovation during ESPN's most comprehensive NFL season in the company's history, features multiple games with playoff implications," the release said."

Just now, nucci said:

I know. I think they should for early games...105p...115p, 125p. That way there's always a game going on

Yeah, I've thought that too. Sort of like a March Madness model.

Start at 12:30 and kick them off every 10 minutes; then between 330 and 430 networks could just run down the line showing the end of a bunch of different games, at least some of which would be good enough to keep folks in the LR and out of the kitchen.

• Like (+1) 1

55 minutes ago, peterpan said:

The League has done an early and a late MNF game in the past, but I can’t remember them ever having competing games at the same time in prime time.  What’s the reasoning here? Testing a new concept??

The same week that there is NO FOOTBALL on Saturday.  (Except Army Navy). Why, why why?

They kind of did this last year when the bills played the Titans and the Vikings played the Eagles.

7:15pm and 8:30pm, respectively.

They are testing it out is my guess to see what is the best way to get the most viewership in both games.  This one just happens to be at the same time.

1 hour ago, Simon said:

I'd love the idea if both of the games were good; or maybe even if just one of them was good.

Although I do think they should offset the kickoffs by about 20min so you could fully enjoy the end of both.

Yeah, I’d say they need to be offset by at least an hour.  This week has not been the scheduler’s finest job. 

8 minutes ago, mannc said:

You’re going to change your mind when the Titans give Miami all they can handle.

Wouldn’t be shocked if the Titans win, honestly.  They have the right type of team to give Miami trouble. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

This is the first year there has been more than one week of two MNF games (in fact, three this year) and the first time it is so late in the season.

45 minutes ago, Tuco said:

It's week 14. Almost all of the tens of millions of fantasy football leagues around the world have their final regular season matchups this week. Fantasy players don't care about whether the game on TV is a good matchup. They care about their players and their opponents' players. In my 12-person league there are 10 teams who have players playing tonight. Five of those teams are still battling for position (regular season places/payouts plus playoff positions) and tonight's games will be the final deciding factor. 

ABC/ESPN no doubt realized this is one week where a lot of people will be watching whether the games are dogs or not. No doubt they paid for an extra game this week because they know millions of watchers will be using the back button as they switch between games, depending on who has the ball. And it's no big deal for a sports bar to have two games on instead of just one. 

That's my guess anyway. Pick the week 14 game in April. If it's a dog there will be the regular number of viewers plus a handful of extras rooting for their fantasy players. Make it two games in week 14 and have a better chance of at least one of them not being a dog, plus double the handful of extras watching as they pull for and against multiple players.

This is the exact explanation I heard on some show on Fox Sports Radio this week.

• Like (+1) 1

It sucks for those who love to watch football regardless of who is playing, but if you're mainly a fan of your team I doubt it makes much difference. If the NFL really wants to get innovative my suggestion is to allow viewers to pick the game they want to watch at a particular time period rather than just assigning games to particular regions. Bills games are appointment tv for me. Otherwise, I really don't care all that much. The Bills-Eagles game is a good example. AZ didn't get that game so I only was able to watch the end of the game (as painful as that was). Before that I barely paid attention. Perhaps they don't want to hurt the Sunday Ticket or NFL Redzone, but I actually think overall ratings would be better.

They are trying to prepare and see what it will be like when they get the European teams & the Mexican, and South American teams just how much they can saturate the American public with football when they get up to like 40 teams .

More is always better so push it as much as possible right to the limit Roger ...

19 hours ago, Simon said:

Good idea but that does not always work since you can have overtimes and some games just run faster with a lot of running plays.

I'd love a split screen with subtitles on muted game but since my sports package does not have ESPN and NFL Network I choose package with NFL Network.

1 hour ago, benderbender said:

At least double box it. The lack of a 2 window feed is insulting. Especially if you've paid for both channels. 

They are trying to convince people to have less channels.

Yes their reasoning is schizoid. 

5 hours ago, T master said:

They are trying to prepare and see what it will be like when they get the European teams & the Mexican, and South American teams just how much they can saturate the American public with football when they get up to like 40 teams .

More is always better so push it as much as possible right to the limit Roger ...

Product is already diluted, any more and it’ll be the NBA.  Seems to be what they want though.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.