Is Diggs done?

harmonkillebrew

4 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

He got slammed HARD to the ground (right on his back) in both the Jets and Chiefs games. Can't feel too good, I imagine, especially for a guy who does everything possible to avoid the big hits (he instinctively and smartly goes to the ground quickly rather than fight for the extra half yard and risk injury/fumble).

I remember Reed being a different player in the Super Bowl against the Giants after they hit him again and again. 

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, BBFL said:

If that is reaching then so is your point of acting like everything is hunky dory. There is an issue underlying somewhere and that needs to be addressed. You’re completely masking my point with other statements that I was not appertaining to or mentioning… 

I will repeat: he is having a lack of separation and several uncharacteristic drops. I’m not seeing where people can’t “be on him” for that. 

This coming from the same guy that claims they are “only going to utilize Diggs” a month ago, that Davis needs competition because of drops but also said he was going to be perfectly fine during the off season back in April… Two sides of an argued opinion here. Things change… And Diggs play has done just that. 

You’re also the same guy who claimed Higgins is a “bonafide #1 on any team”. Stats between Gabe and Tee aren’t far off when you consider Higgins has had 98 more targets and 90 more receptions over the same span of years… So what does that mean for a guy who questions Davis as a number 2 but screams similar production is that of a bonafide numer 1...

After Diggs there is a drop off. A significant one. That is my only concern with his play as of late. A valid one at that. 

No doubt there is a drop off from diggs

sure I know Kincaid is a rookie but I feel over the next several years he becomes a solid number two but yes I agree we need a number 2 here other than Gabe 

New OC and game plans that have really featured hitting our RBs and TEs in the flat or on screens.

They have tried to use him on some of those screens, but results have been mixed.

The timing and ball placement on those is a bit different from how we normally use him so I think there have been more drops and times when he and Allen don't seem to be quite in sync than we would like to see.

Brady probably has to figure out other ways and use of motion to get Diggs into favorable match ups as you can see defenses make it a priority to take him out of the games.

I don't think the change in production is much more than that - adjusting to being used differently.

Edited by WideNine

7 minutes ago, WideNine said:

New OC and game plans that have really featured hitting our RBs and TEs in the flat or on screens.

They have tried to use him on some of those screens, but results have been mixed.

The timing and ball placement on those is a bit different from how we normally use him so I think there have been more drops and times when he and Allen don't seem to be quite in sync than we would like to see.

Brady probably has to figure out other ways and use of motion to get Diggs into favorable match ups as you can see defenses make it a priority to take him out of the games.

I don't think the change in production is much more than that - adjusting to being used differently.

Well, that pick play that the Chiefs used to spring Kelce open might work for Diggs.....

....seriously though, one of the differences between being a 26 yr old athlete, and a 30+ athlete, is that it just takes longer to heal up from every ding.

One of the funniest football interviews I heard was between Zo Alexander and Steve Smith Sr - I've forgotten the show they were on, but they really got talking back and forth.  Topics were taking care of their bodies, how young guys just roll out of bed on Monday and Tuesday and as they get older it was "nuh uh, Not Today, give me that deep acupuncture, give me that massage"

Anyway it's a good question whether it's how he's being used, or whether he's picked up some bruises and bumps and nagging dings that are hindering him.

He does get extracurricular hits and twists on almost every play, despite the best efforts of his teammates to get there fast and shut things down.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

He’s done as a Bill after this year. Not saying I do or don’t want that to happen, it just is what it is, I don’t see him back here, I think he gets his way and goes to Dallas with his brother and Jerruh likely over pays us in the process.

That being said, hopefully Beane works some magic, clears lots of bloated cap numbers, and finds a way to land Waddle and Higgins next year so Josh can win multiple superbowls regardless of clappy on the sidelines…

He should be gone next year but we always hold onto players that fans like too long and it hurts the team.  I would like to see the back half of Josh’s career with some fresh guys.

Edited by Governor
  • Dislike 1

10 minutes ago, Governor said:

He should be gone next year but we always hold onto players that fans like too long and it hurts the team. 

Riiiiiiiight.  Beane and the rest of the Front Office aren't looking at dead cap hits and trade value and last year's grading and anything like that.

They're making their decisions just based on which players the fans like. 🙄

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Beck Water said:

Riiiiiiiight.  Beane and the rest of the Front Office aren't looking at dead cap hits and trade value and last year's grading and anything like that.

They're making their decisions just based on which players the fans like. 🙄

If you believe in buy low, sell high (we don’t) then 1/3 of our roster has been here 1-2 years too long. There’s no trade value for any of our older players. That’s why you don’t operate like that. Those are mistakes made by a GM. Fan shock/anger absolutely factors into those decisions in a small city like Buffalo. 

Perfect example is White. He should’ve been traded before he even got injured, like well before, when he was at peak value. He was already at his ceiling. We missed badly on that one and you do that a few times and there’s your difference in staying good and not staying good for long.

Theres people on Reddit and probably here too that want/expect Diggs to play here two more full seasons. lol.

Edited by Governor
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

15 hours ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Funny you and others say it as "Diggs hasnt played..." while Erik and other analysts are talking more about the scheme and how Brady is using him.

What was the big change at the week 10 drop off?

If you listen to Cover 1's Film Room on this he said this actually started during the last two weeks of Dorsey so it isn't so cut and dry about being the OC change.

diggs2.thumb.png.a61adcdc407b0d2c1a7c1eaaec595e48.png

On one hand it's really good that more receivers are getting involved.  Josh getting the ball to other players makes the offense harder to defend.  At the same time, Diggs needs to be more involved than he has been and he needs to catch the damn ball.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

digg3.thumb.png.d4d3a666789cced83dbd3d6586a56ef8.png

2nd down seems to be where his biggest problem is

For those that want to watch/listen.  It is over hour and a half long and it is not all about Diggs though.  There is stuff on the defense/Von, stuff on Cook, etc.  If you watch on youtube you can select what you want to watch/hear from the scrub bar though.  He has them labeled.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 hours ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

Meh … he loves Buffalo because he made his rep here as a true WR1 and one of the best at his craft. However, I’m sure when his Bills career is over, he’ll move on to a burg that better fits his apparent lifestyle and not look back. Just doesn’t seem to be a shot and a beer and a snow shovel kind of guy. Nothing wrong with that. 

I spoke w a former bill the other day.  This bill works w the organization still. I asked him if he thought Diggs was gone and he stated “Diggs loves buffalo and he’s going no where”.  

30 minutes ago, bigduke6 said:

Diggs is still near the top in most receiver metrics this season.  not worried one bit about him.

Im not worried about diggs. I AM worried about this fake pressure for Allen / OC to always look to him first or try and force it. Go elsewhere 

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

Diggs is not done, lol.  But catch the dang ball. His hands are a bit clumsy at times this season. Although against KC at least one, maybe 2 WR screens would’ve been blown up  and maybe even negative yards. 

Since we know that he protects himself, maybe those were intentional drops to keep from being smashed.

• Like (+1) 1

The frustrating thing to me is all of his targets of late have been at the line of scrimmage or just beyond. Brady seems to not have any downfield throws designated his way. On one hand, I get it. He's always covered mightily and it's wise to go to open people. But you have to try from time to time and the line of scrimmage isn't his game.

4 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

The frustrating thing to me is all of his targets of late have been at the line of scrimmage or just beyond. Brady seems to not have any downfield throws designated his way. On one hand, I get it. He's always covered mightily and it's wise to go to open people. But you have to try from time to time and the line of scrimmage isn't his game.

I don't think this is true.  You might consider watching The QB School Week 12 analysis of the Eagles game, for example.  There are places where Diggs is downfield, and even could be argued to be open, and Josh targets someone else (he acknowledges that could be the order of the reads).  There are also places where Diggs was double covered downfield and Josh still threw to him.

1 hour ago, Ga boy said:

Since we know that he protects himself, maybe those were intentional drops to keep from being smashed.

That would be stupid if intentional.  As Isaiah McKenzie used to say, "you're going to get hit either way so might as well catch it".  Count the number of flags thrown because a player covering a WR hit the WR after they dropped the ball.  I don't think you'll find many, if any.   LB and DB don't pull up and not hit WR who drop the ball because 1) at the point where they're boring in, they usually don't know that he dropped it 2) what if he did some kind of fancy-butt 1 hand juggling catch then they'd look like a 'fool with their pants on the ground' 3) it's not something the league penalizes unless they target the neck or above - and then it's a penalty whether or not they catch it.

19 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Diggs just needs his James Lofton on the other side. 

Agreed.  More reliable talent in the WR2 spot would go a long way. The easiest way to do that would be a high investment in the WR room R1. 

https://theathletic.com/5138908/2023/12/15/stefon-diggs-buffalo-bills-drops-cowboys?source=user-shared-article

Stefon Diggs on decreased production, increased drops: "It's not because of me"

Through his first 66 targets, Stefon Diggs was all-galaxy.

Over his next 66 targets, Diggs’ production wouldn’t send him to the Pro Bowl.

The Buffalo Bills’ top receiver has been double-teamed all season, but his stats have plummeted significantly and he’s dropping passes at the worst rate of his career.

“It’s not because of me,” Diggs said during a Thursday news conference in which he conceded the past seven games have been “rough” and “frustrating” and his most effective role has been the upbeat, sideline cheerleader.

“It’s rough, man,” Diggs said. “Even earlier in the year, I saw a lot of the doubles, but they’ve been doing a great job, especially when you put those first seven to eight games on tape of what you like to do. They’ve been doing a good job.

“For me, personally, I’ve been trying, bro. I promise you I’ve been trying. It’s not because of me.”

“We’ve just got to continue to make plays and, I guess, spread the ball around,” Diggs said. “We’ve been winning so far. In a perfect world, I want the ball. I want to have success. At the end of the day, we’re winning games. That’s what I’ve got to tip my hat to, but I’m still chasing greatness each and every day. It’s not because I don’t want it. I promise you that.

“I want to still continue to play at a high level, but I’ve got to play within the scheme and be me with us. We’ve got a slogan or words to live by: ‘Be you with us.’ I’m going to still be me. I’m not going to stop, but hopefully we get some things rolling.”

I'll be honest, I've been getting a little sick of Diggs lately. If you're gonna dish out your frustrations to other player you have to be willing to take accountability when you're not playing well. This whole interview rubs me the wrong way.

EDIT: I did not listen to the interview. Based on comments below it sounds like Tim Graham took quotes out of context to make it look worse. Nothing to see here...

Edited by HappyDays
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Dislike 4

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

https://theathletic.com/5138908/2023/12/15/stefon-diggs-buffalo-bills-drops-cowboys?source=user-shared-article

I'll be honest, I've been getting a little sick of Diggs lately. If you're gonna dish out your frustrations to other player you have to be willing to take accountability when you're not playing well. This whole interview rubs me the wrong way.

what? He isnt blaming other people on his team, hes talking about defenses are doing to him and how thats opened opps for players (mainly our RBs). You are looking for something that is not there...and most likely just to back up your dislike for Diggs because he was wrongly labeled as a diva for years.

the "not because of me" is in reference to how much attention defenses are giving him

Edited by PaattMaann
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I didn't get that vibe.  I took it as he's working his butt off to get open and other teams are doing a good job taking him away..  I saw the presser on Youtube and he sounded kind of resigned to the media like..hey guys, it's not for lack of trying or working to get open, I'm doing my all but.. 

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He didn't say it in a way that was accusing anyone of anything. He said he was being doubled a lot, which opens up other guys to make plays. He effectively said he wasn't doing anything different this year vs other years, so "it's not because of me." It's because of how opposing DCs are scheming against him and how the Bills are addressing those opposing schemes. It was very much in the vein of, "Glad we're scheming against that well, glad my guys are making it happen when I'm doubled, but sure, I want the ball. I'm not doing anything different. And maybe when we gash them with other guys, that'll get me more chances."

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I put the rolled eyes emoji on your post but I want you to know that I am sitting here rolling my eyes IRL right now also. I almost fell backwards out of my chair

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.