Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

1 hour ago, JÂy RÛßeÒ said:

So it was pretty accurate then...

https://myfox8.com/news/north-carolina/piedmont-triad/davidson-county-sheriff-investigating-after-calf-shot-killed/

you be the judge. the opening line they gave me - "it was a friendly cow".... jeesh. thanks.

52 minutes ago, Sherlock Holmes said:

Pleaseeeeeeeee do

i did 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, Warcodered said:

I think at least one of the quotes and the things he wrote around it were something he hung on to for a while. The part around the whole 13 seconds thing he's quoting someone and says that they're currently happy on another team and the way the whole thing looks it's probably either Levi Wallace or Jerry Hughes but neither of them are even starting anymore. So it's like he wrote it a while ago and didn't think that things might not be going so great for them anymore.

I think you've been incorrectly assuming that when he wrote "One defensive starter" he meant that player is currently a starter. When really, it more likely refers to a player who was starting on Defense for the Bills in that 2021 game.

1 minute ago, Mango said:

He went walked away from HC of the Bills to become the OL coach of the Jags, who at the time were terrible. Had an opportunity as interim, to which they kept him and he had 1 "good" season, where he finished 10-6 carried by the defense. Marrone ultimately finished his time in Jacksonville with a .348 record. Had he been with a franchise with a real owner he would have lost his job much sooner than he did. 

Afterwards he has strictly been an OL coach. 

Marrone 100% flamed out of the NFL HC circle. 

It's fascinating that he's an OC, but has never had a successful offense, and has always had a top 3 defense.

I wish McD were as good at hiring OCs as Marrone was at hiring DCs.

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ehh, maybe. But most of what I see about Belichick from former players is how funny he actually is. Almost the opposite of McD who has a nice, friendly public demeanor but can't relate to his players. Belichick has a gruff reputation, but behind the scenes players think he's one of the funniest guys of all time.

https://www.si.com/nfl/patriots/news/new-england-patriots-bill-belichick-humor-funny-ezekiel-elliott-juju-smith-schuster

https://www.irishstar.com/sport/other-sports/bill-belichicks-funniest-moments-new-30364964

https://theathletic.com/2889665/2021/10/29/its-fun-at-gunpoint-the-comedy-stylings-of-bill-belichick/

Thank you! This line of "well, every coach has a parade of people eager to destroy him" is total BS. 

I mentioned it yesterday, but everyone knows why some players didn't like Belichick. He can be a grumpy miserable guy, and will demand absolute adherence to his methods. 

You only get a multiple part series when someone is trying to portray themselves as something they are not. What would Belichick's be? He's like a grumpy old uncle and loves to embarrass players during film sessions for screwing up, most of all Tom Brady? Wow, you don't say! 

Football players and coaches can handle that stuff because it's fact. You missed a block here. You made a bad read. Etc. 

2 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

I think at least one of the quotes and the things he wrote around it were something he hung on to for a while. The part around the whole 13 seconds thing he's quoting someone and says that they're currently happy on another team and the way the whole thing looks it's probably either Levi Wallace or Jerry Hughes but neither of them are even starting anymore. So it's like he wrote it a while ago and didn't think that things might not be going so great for them anymore.

I still blame levi wallace for that.  I don't care what freaking defense is called.  You cant line up across from no one.  

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

https://myfox8.com/news/north-carolina/piedmont-triad/davidson-county-sheriff-investigating-after-calf-shot-killed/

you be the judge. the opening line they gave me - "it was a friendly cow".... jeesh. thanks.

i did 

Aww man, I'm really sorry to hear this. Those cows didnt deserve that. :(

Nice hat and pretty cows in the vid.

Again, really sorry. What a bummer. *****in bumpkins.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Aww man, I'm really sorry to hear this. Those cows didnt deserve that. :(

Nice hat and pretty cows in the vid.

Again, really sorry. What a bummer. *****in bumpkins.

i had been wearing this 90's shania twain tshirt (farm shirt) all day and my wife made me change it.

il_680x540.3904213523_gphn.jpg

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Man I have criticized McDermott's coaching but he doesn't deserve this. He's a good man.

Coach McDermott is a good man. Okay we get it the Bills aren’t having the season we all expected but that doesn’t mean you go out and try to sabotage his name. If the Bills were 9-3 does this article come out? No. That’s why I don’t respect it. Easy to kick a man when he down.

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I didn't say that.  Obviously the 2018 & 2019 Allen was a work in progress and far from the elite QB he is today.  What I was responding to was your continued parroting of the false narrative that McD did a good job "developing" Allen.  IMO the evidence from those two years, particularly 2018, was that Allen was thrown to the wolves.

The fact is that McD had a "plan" for Allen's development that was poorly designed and executed (sound familiar).  The plan involved bringing AJ McCarron in as the "vet" QB Allen could learn from.  The problem was that no one told McCarron before he signed that was going to be his role and he wanted no part of it.  Then the plan was to let Allen sit and learn while Peterman was named the starting QB.  And how long did that last?  It lasted until Peterman had set a new NFL record for consecutive offensive possessions without getting a 1st down in game 1. In what alternate universe are we going to call this a good plan?

There was no plan.  Allen succeeded in spite of Sean McDermott not because of him.  They treated the offense like the least important thing on the team.    Just rehash the personnel moves that were made to get talent around Allen till they finally got Diggs.   Took 5 years to finally get O line settled and the Bills have not had a bellcow back other  teams prepare for ever under Sean.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I understand the sentiment about McDermott being a good person.

One has to wonder why so many people would be looking to hurt him and his reputation, that being the case. I mentioned it earlier in the thread, but Frank Reich was a walking disaster in Indy. Nobody listened to him or respected him as HC. It was like there was a substitute teacher there. He had to go.

But Reich the human? You don't see guys eager to line up and take shots, even though it was a mess. He tried, he just wasn't good at the job. That's no reason to tear the guy apart. 

That's why you don't see these long stories about other coaches. This isn't normal. 

So why McDermott? 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

Man I have criticized McDermott's coaching but he doesn't deserve this. He's a good man.

Yeah - agreed.  He is clearly - to me - someone who tries to do things the right way.  His intentions are good.

So many of these media firestorms are undeserved.  Tons of people pile on, like they have never said a stupid thing in their lives.  The last thing I want is to be judged by my worst moments.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

33 minutes ago, Mango said:

Marrone washed out of the league pretty quickly after Buffalo. 

Terry Pegula tried to keep him.

Marrone took the Jaguars to the AFCCG and has accomplished 2 things McDummy hasn't:

1) Won a road playoff game

2) Played the Patriots down to the wire in the AFFCG and led halfway through the 4th quarter before Brady did his thing.

Keep in mind this was with a marginal NFL starter in Blake Bortles

Rex Ryan also did the same with the Jets, also with a marginal NFL starter.

So for the Bills fans that insist this loser is the best head coach we've had since Marv Levy, it's really time to rethink that and understand that without Josh Allen he'd been fired long ago and quite frankly at best on par with Ryan/Marrone.

1 minute ago, boyst said:

i had been wearing this 90's shania twain tshirt (farm shirt) all day and my wife made me change it.

il_680x540.3904213523_gphn.jpg

Ok, I was very bummed after the news story, but now I feel better picturing you wearing this while sticking your arm in a cow and quietly singing to yourself "Oh, oh, oh, go totally crazy, forget I'm a lady, Men's shirts, short skirts Oh, oh, oh, really go wild, yeah, doin' it in style Oh, oh, oh, get in the action, feel the attraction Color my hair, do what I dare Oh, oh, oh, I wanna be free, yeah, to feel the way I feel"

5 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I think you've been incorrectly assuming that when he wrote "One defensive starter" he meant that player is currently a starter. When really, it more likely refers to a player who was starting on Defense for the Bills in that 2021 game.

So the player went from being a starter here to not being a starter on a different team and was "currently happy" that's your theory?

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I don't think the piece is as much an attack on his character as he seems to believe. It does criticize his coaching though. And questions certain things. He's spun that valid criticism to make himself a sympathetic character 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

But he's not getting fired. The owner loves him and he has had enough success here W/L wise, and will continue to as long as Allen is here. 

And he will never live this down. It's been 20+ years, but a lot of people still have raw emotions about 9/11. This is the only team that actually plays in NY State, and I would expect a less than warm welcome for Sean the next time the Bills play at Met Life. 

I do expect the team to make the playoffs, which will of course be used as a reason to keep McDermott. Eventually the issues with Diggs only end one way: him off the team. Then we have to fill the WR spot in rounds 5-7, because we'll draft a DB or LB in rounds 1-3 who McDermott won't play next season because he's not a veteran player. 

Rinse and repeat. 

May be a little conspiracy-ish, but I have to wonder if this was an intentional leak by someone higher up in the FO. Why is this coming out now? It happened almost 4 years ago. We have an owner that can’t really fire him for having a down year, despite multiple on-field meltdowns. But now we have this. And we will always have this. 

24 minutes ago, TheFunPolice said:

Edited by Saint Doug

3 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

I don't think the piece is as much an attack on his character as he seems to believe. It does criticize his coaching though. And questions certain things. He's spun that valid criticism to make himself a sympathetic character 

I more or less agree.  I didn't pay for to read all of the articles, but if they are inline with the free "introduction" then it's not McD's character that is under attack, but rather his approach and personality.  Maybe a fine line, but perhaps fair- Again- I haven't read the stuff behind the paywall.

I think even his biggest critic would agree that fundementally, McDermott is a good and honorable man, with good intentions.

Unfortunately this is how it goes for head coaches sometimes- who are public figures.  Of course, if any of Tyler's fact's are embellished and made up, then that would be despicable. 

Edited by saundena

1 minute ago, Warcodered said:

So the player went from being a starter here to not being a starter on a different team and was "currently happy" that's your theory?

Yes. Neither Levi nor Jerry nor anyone else is going to say they arent currently happy. Especially in this article where they are talking about how bad it was on the Bills.

Jerry - back at home in Houston and still making $5M/year for sitting around = HAPPY

Levi - a UDFA who not only still has a job in the NFL, but is making $4M/year = HAPPY

You are getting way too deep on an off-hand description.

• Haha (+1) 1

Yep from all I see and hear from him he's a good guy.

But he's gotta walk his talk.  Always going on about accountability, self-motivation, improving every day, learning from mistakes. 

I would hope that someone is pointing out his mistakes.  

If so, he's not learning from them.  If he had a player like that, that player would be benched/released.

If not, that's an organizational shortcoming but not an excuse for maintaining an ultimately unsatisfactory status quo if he practiced what he's been preaching.  Whatever catchphrase it is - Playoff Caliber or Respect the Process - he's gotta show me that his coaching is meeting this standard.

Edited by JÂy RÛßeÒ
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I'll grant you Bobby Trees.  He had a good year, and I loved him as a player.

Goodwin had 1 catch on 9 targets that year, so I don't think he supports your argument; I don't remember the story with Spiller, if he was injured or what, but also not contributing much that year.

Chandler for me falls squarely into what Beane said once about "we never got to a point where opponents said we got to stop their TE from going off"

My first post stated that Goodwin was glass and not that great but he had speed and could catch. Perfect for Allen’s cannon. With Watkins and Woods that’s a decent trio. As for Chandler, also not great but a 500-600 yards per year guy. Jackson was still good. Spiller washed out but Gailey got good production out of him. 

you paint that as terrible. With an elite qb like Allen that is a decent crew. 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Ok, I was very bummed after the news story, but now I feel better picturing you wearing this while sticking your arm in a cow and quietly singing to yourself "Oh, oh, oh, go totally crazy, forget I'm a lady, Men's shirts, short skirts Oh, oh, oh, really go wild, yeah, doin' it in style Oh, oh, oh, get in the action, feel the attraction Color my hair, do what I dare Oh, oh, oh, I wanna be free, yeah, to feel the way I feel"

I didn't know you had my OF 

• Haha (+1) 3

23 minutes ago, MJS said:

People can complain about Sean McDermott as a coach if they want. There are plenty of examples of times he has screwed up on the football field.

But attacking his character? Attacking him as a human being? It is disgraceful. It has always been clear that he is a good person, a good leader, with a thoughtful, methodical approach to how he leads the team. As he said himself, he is not perfect and I'm sure he has made mistakes over the past years as a coach.

For those who want to believe all the garbage spewed by unnamed sources and biased crusaders, you are disgraceful.

I support Sean McDermott and I hope he proves all the ankle biting haters wrong.

The holier-than-thou BS while you dab away your tears needs to stop. No one is attacking McDermott the human being or judging his ability to be a husband, father, friend, community member, etc..

This is all about the Buffalo Bills and how their coach is falling short. That's it.

The sensitivity from some of you shocks me.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

He's a good man. Doesn't mean he is a good coach. He could not handle NY or Dallas media. The guy is lucky he is Buffalo where the only tough questions come from Tyler Dunne

• Agree 3

7 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

I mean if it's true...

I'm sure it's all true. I think McDermott is wound way too tight and he's socially awkward, and that combination does not make a great coach. It doesn't mean he deserves to be a national laughingstock though.

By far my biggest issue with social media is how quickly lynch mobs form. It isn't enough to just point out a mistake, we need a couple million people to completely tear down a person's character. More than ever in history our worst moments are possibly going to be shared with and mocked by the world, and I don't wish that on anyone but the absolute dregs of society.

Edited by HappyDays
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Yes. Neither Levi nor Jerry nor anyone else is going to say they arent currently happy. Especially in this article where they are talking about how bad it was on the Bills.

Jerry - back at home in Houston and still making $5M/year for sitting around = HAPPY

Levi - a UDFA who not only still has a job in the NFL, but is making $4M/year = HAPPY

You are getting way too deep on an off-hand description.

Yeah sure that's the case, it's not even remotely conceivable he just didn't bother to rethink how he should write that part when reality changed. 🙄

Edited by Warcodered

I still think it's very interesting that Dunne is validating everything that myself and other 'crusaders', 'trolls', etc have been saying since 2021. Of course it's easier to digest coming from a well connected write vs random message board posters.

And the bottom line the longer this clap happy fool is on the Bills sidelines, the worse things are going to get. I feel the overall collective anger from Bills fans will boil over big time come Sunday night after this team loses in KC despite getting lot of help in the early games (and last night with the Steelers/Pats result) which is somewhat ironic that the same team on the other side of 13 seconds will effectively be ending this teams season again, just not in the postseason this time.

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

My first post stated that Goodwin was glass and not that great but he had speed and could catch. Perfect for Allen’s cannon.

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.  Goodwin was in my opinion a lousy route runner and poor at tracking the ball while he was with Buffalo.  It was only when he got over making "career decisions" to save himself for his Olympic dreams and decided to earn his contract with San Francisco that his abilities as a WR leveled up.

I mean, Come On Man, in his 4 years in Buffalo he had a catch % of 44%.  Even in SFO his first year it was 53%.  You do you, but painting that as "perfect for Allen's cannon" strikes me as highly revisionist.  Foster Part Deux.

8 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

My first post stated that Goodwin was glass and not that great but he had speed and could catch. Perfect for Allen’s cannon. With Watkins and Woods that’s a decent trio. As for Chandler, also not great but a 500-600 yards per year guy. Jackson was still good. Spiller washed out but Gailey got good production out of him. 

you paint that as terrible. With an elite qb like Allen that is a decent crew. 

You're entitled to your opinion but no, while I wouldn't say they were terrible, I don't think that's a particularly talented crew, especially for a raw rookie QB.  I grant that the OL was halfway decent.  You're kinda stretching Chandler's productivity.  He did have one >600 yd year.

4 minutes ago, boyst said:

He's a good man. Doesn't mean he is a good coach. He could not handle NY or Dallas media. The guy is lucky he is Buffalo where the only tough questions come from Tyler Dunne

Question: when has Tyler Dunne ever asked Sean McDermott a question, tough or otherwise?

Edited by Beck Water

3 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I still think it's very interesting that Dunne is validating everything that myself and other 'crusaders', 'trolls', etc have been saying since 2021. Of course it's easier to digest coming from a well connected write vs random message board posters.

And the bottom line the longer this clap happy fool is on the Bills sidelines, the worse things are going to get. I feel the overall collective anger from Bills fans will boil over big time come Sunday night after this team loses in KC despite getting lot of help in the early games (and last night with the Steelers/Pats result) which is somewhat ironic that the same team on the other side of 13 seconds will effectively be ending this teams season again, just not in the postseason this time.

If nothing else it's nice this got you to admit this part, now if you'd admit the Dolphins fan part and there'd be a nice silver lining.

Edited by Warcodered
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

We're going to have to agree to disagree on this one.  Goodwin was in my opinion a lousy route runner and poor at tracking the ball while he was with Buffalo.  It was only when he got over making "career decisions" to save himself for his Olympic dreams and decided to earn his contract with San Francisco that his abilities as a WR leveled up.

I mean, Come On Man, in his 4 years in Buffalo he had a catch % of 44%.  Even in SFO his first year it was 53%.  You do you, but painting that as "perfect for Allen's cannon" strikes me as highly revisionist.  Foster Part Deux.

Question: when has Tyler Dunne ever asked Sean McDermott a question, tough or otherwise?

I would doubt it. I don't think he would have ever had exposure to him. Only indirect through the articles. I doubt McDermott will ever sit down with him now at all. After McDermott got criticism from WGR he refused to talk to the crew that gave it to him. I don't know the personalities but it was when he first started. 

28 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

probably. He has another article about 13 secs he wrote a while back but I haven’t read it yet. Wallace was just playing yesterday. 

Listened to McD on WGR this afternoon.  Didn't come off as exactly a commanding presence in explaining his reaction to the stuff outside the 9-11 thing.  Really disappointing to think this is how he addresses challenges to his leadership and cohesion in the locker room.  How he addressed the article was completely consistent with the character flaws alleged in the article.

The opportunity to coach Josh Allen anywhere in the NFL is going to attract some top candidates instantly.  Time to start window shopping now.

5 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

There are some stories about what it was like to be an assistant on Belicheck's staff that aren't pretty, especially when his former assistants went elsewhere and tried to implement the same models but without the sustained team success that led people to put up with it.

Why would you think McDermott doesn't connect with players?  Or that he doesn't have something to do with the locker room culture what was built?

I don't think being an assistant football coach is a lot of "fun" anywhere, a lot of Grind.

The players said hes socially awkward and generally talking about Al Qaeda doesnt connect with players.  

I didn't suggest in any way that McDermott has nothing to do with the locker room culture.

9 minutes ago, Saint Doug said:

May be a little conspiracy-ish, but I have to wonder if this was an intentional leak by someone higher up in the FO. Why is this coming out now? It happened almost 4 years ago. We have an owner that can’t really fire him for having a down year, despite multiple on-field meltdowns. But now we have this. And we will always have this. 

If this was internal why wouldn't they wait until after a loss removes the Bills from playoff contention? Why the week before KC? 

Hell, even if the Bills won the Super Bowl and you released this in March it wouldn't be the craziest thing that has ever happened to remove McD because of it. But if the Bills win the SB this year, and McD gets fired in 6 months because of this article it will be a really deep PR hole to crawl out of.

If the FO thought the timing of this was good we should clear house top to bottom. 

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

McDermott is doing a hell of a job in his press conference.   Outside of some of the results of his coaching stint here, he's shown great character.   

"This is an attack on my character" is purely evasive and non-accountable. He did the opposite of of a "hell of a job."

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.