Tyler Dunne story on McDermott - 3 parts, 25 interviews, one damning conclusion

Roundybout

8 hours ago, billieve420 said:

I don't doubt McDermott is a control freak. However, I also believe that Dunne has some axe to grind. Believe there was some issue between him and McDermott at some point when he was covering the team.

Back at the end of the Drought Era, this HACK defended the indefensible, trying to tell everyone that his good buddy Dimwit Doug Whaley was doing a great job. He has ZERO credibility, and major axes to grind. Anyone on here can slam McD all you want, I don’t really care anymore one way or the other… but anyone using this buffoon’s article as justification is not too savvy at all.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

3 minutes ago, K-9 said:

Hadn’t thought of the Christmas angle and that’s a fair point. But the team’s low point came after losing to Denver. If the intent was to hit a man when he was down, that was the better time.

If the Bills lose on Sunday in KC, the team will fracture and start chirping in public and on social media. Then McDermott will be fired and Diggs will probably have to be traded. No quality coaching candidate will want to coach here because it’s an organization in free fall. Dunne gets the ultimate revenge for his homie Doug Whaley and probably a bunch of new subscribers. The fact that the Buffalo Bills will be a tire fire for a decade is a small price to pay. BTW, if Doug Whaley is so great, why has no NFL team hired him? Answer that one.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

14 minutes ago, Einstein said:

That’s an excellent thought that didn’t occur to me.

Hughes is more fiery.  Wallace seems cool and calm.

My opinion on McDermott has changed after this article.  I think he is probably a decent human and good guy.  I think he is a good game planner but can’t make right changes once the game gets tight at the end…he loses internal composure.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Low Positive said:

If the Bills lose on Sunday in KC, the team will fracture and start chirping in public and on social media. Then McDermott will be fired and Diggs will probably have to be traded. No quality coaching candidate will want to coach here because it’s an organization in free fall. Dunne gets the ultimate revenge for his homie Doug Whaley and probably a bunch of new subscribers. The fact that the Buffalo Bills will be a tire fire for a decade is a small price to pay. BTW, if Doug Whaley is so great, why has no NFL team hired him? Answer that one.

No one would want to come and coach a Josh Allen team? 

Wow just stop

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

You mean, hung him out to dry with the play call Wallace acknowledged he didn't execute correctly?

You kind of can't have it both ways here, Freddie.

I won't blame Levi for not being able to execute a horrible play call.  Not one other player or coach took responsibility, so I refuse to lay it all on Levi.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

Me either. Certainly one part would focus on how @4merper4mer saved me from a gruesome fate at the hands of a San Diego serial killer

Anytime.  Sorry if I haven’t saved you lately.  I didn’t realize the new screen name was you.  I’ll be looking out for you now.

• Haha (+1) 1

This is what I hate about selective journalism.

mcdermott mentioned he apologized to the team within an hour of the original comments about 9/11, and tried to paint a picture that simply didn’t come out or stick the way he wanted it to.  Did the anonymous source mention this?  Not per Ty’s article….  That wouldn’t fit the narrative.

if the article says “Mcdermott, while discussing teamwork and importance of communication, made an ill formed mention of 9/11 as a reference towards the importance of communication.  McDermott later apologized to the team, when he found some comments were not absorbed in the way intended.  It happened within a 2 hour span.”

that’s something clear, without bias, and should be how journalism is handled.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I actually think it got more attention now.  The Bills kind of looked as though they got it together and might be turning it around - thumped the Jets solidly, played last year's NFC Champions very very tough into OT.  So they're back in the news as a team "In the Hunt".

I don't think the intention is to "hit a man when he's down", I think the intention is to generate views and subscribers and make money.

He's a respected journalist in the field.  I highly doubt he is going to ruin his credibility by making stuff up just to make a few bucks for one month.

1 hour ago, CaliBills said:

I hate when people put out an article 4 F'ing years after it happened....

It is a personal vendetta against McD.

I could care less about this.  

Years later and in the prime of the season a couple days before a do or die game.  This clown really wants to stick it to the Bills.  

• Agree 1

This whole article just feels dirty and pathetic. 

The 9/11 comments were unbelievably stupid. It's hard to believe someone can be that dumb. But you can tell from McDermotts press conference today he was remorseful. I believe him when he said he apologized after it happened.

It happened years ago. I see zero need for it to be made public now, zero need for this article at all. 

McDermott needs to be fired. We all know that from what we see in the field. This article was completely unnecessary and a pathetic plea for attention. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

Just now, Process said:

The 9/11 comments were unbelievably stupid. It's hard to believe someone can be that dumb. But you can tell from McDermotts press conference today he was remorseful. I believe him when he said he apologized after it happened.

It happened years ago. I see zero need for it to be made public now, zero need for this article at all. 

McDermott needs to be fired. We all know that from what we see in the field. This article was completely unnecessary and a pathetic plea for attention. 

Tbh with you, a person that plans that speech for his team is an imbecile.  And it's no surprise with someone with that low of an awareness level struggles in late game decision making. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, Process said:

I agree, but it feels to me like the 9/11 thing could really hurt McDermott, even more than his poor performance on the field in that it tends to make him an object of ridicule.  But of course, if he had turned out to be a great coach, we wouldn't even be having this conversation.  

1 minute ago, Cray51 said:

mcdermott mentioned he apologized to the team within an hour of the original comments about 9/11, and tried to paint a picture that simply didn’t come out or stick the way he wanted it to.  Did the anonymous source mention this?  Not per Ty’s article….  That wouldn’t fit the narrative.

if the article says “Mcdermott, while discussing teamwork and importance of communication, made an ill formed mention of 9/11 as a reference towards the importance of communication.  McDermott later apologized to the team, when he found some comments were not absorbed in the way intended.  It happened within a 2 hour span.”

This is SPORTS journalism. It means absolutely nothing and its main purpose is acting as another marketing arm for whatever league they are covering.

This isnt uncovering corruption in the government, or unsafe working conditions at a corporation.

IMO, the fact he referred to 9/11 terrorists like that AT ALL is eye-opening, and tells me a lot as to what kind of speaker, motivator, and leader he is (or isnt).

Sure, it's from 4 years ago. Sure, he apologized shortly thereafter (as if that does anything in the players' eyes). But the fact his brain went there and his mouth said it is all I need to know.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

“Not absorbed in the way intended” remains incredibly out of touch with how far out in left field McDermott was here.

acknowledging the apology would be good, though we clearly can’t assume it was a high quality interaction there either if you are trying to be fair. 

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

y

you can't put that genie back in the bottle. i think everybody realizes mcD is not a terrorist sympathizer. its just an example of him making bad choices and maybe not understanding people. apology or not. 

• Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Low Positive said:

How about some will be thrilled he's gone and excited about unleashing Allen and the offense?

Oh and maybe less 2 minute (or 13 second) brain  cramps?

Edited by Billsfan1972

11 minutes ago, Cray51 said:

You really shouldn't slam an article that you didn't even read.  From the article that you say is not in there:

When McDermott walked onto the practice field, he apologized and explained what he was trying to say with the reference. One vet found his apology very sincere, while another believes he only doubled down.

Or maybe you did read it and were being selective yourself.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

This is SPORTS journalism. It means absolutely nothing and its main purpose is acting as another marketing arm for whatever league they are covering.

This isnt uncovering corruption in the government, or unsafe working conditions at a corporation.

IMO, the fact he referred to 9/11 terrorists like that AT ALL is eye-opening, and tells me a lot as to what kind of speaker, motivator, and leader he is (or isnt).

Sure, it's from 4 years ago. Sure, he apologized shortly thereafter (as if that does anything in the players' eyes). But the fact his brain went there and his mouth said it is all I need to know.

Well i heard too that Hiitler had some well organized strategies.

And don't forget how well prepared the Japanese were bombing Pearl Harbour.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Haha (+1) 1

Didn’t think I’d ever feel bad for this man based on how much I want him gone.  

I still want him gone .. but I’m there. 

I feel awful for McDermott.   This has been a pretty brutal day. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 3
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, Negan said:

Tbh with you, a person that plans that speech for his team is an imbecile.  And it's no surprise with someone with that low of an awareness level struggles in late game decision making. 

We already know he is an imbecile and not fit for the job based on what we see on the field. 

A three part, targeted hit piece relieving things that happened behind closed doors years ago was not necessary and serves no purpose other than to humiliate a guy that is still currently the HC of the team. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

24 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I mean, he was 30 after 2021, and his "mental disposition of a child" went on to play for a winning team that went to the Superbowl

30 isn't old for an offensive lineman.   The winning team you keep referencing had a terrible offensive line for the season and a half he was there, including getting Burrow sacked 7 times in the Super Bowl.   You're giving Quinton Frickin Spain way way too much credit.   He was an average to below average player and his maturity was always highly questionable.  

13 minutes ago, Process said:

A week ago The Athletic claimed his job was safe.

Now go out and win nine straight 

Just now, SCBills said:

Didn’t think I’d ever feel bad for this man based on how much I want him gone.  

I still want him gone .. but I’m there. 

I feel awful for this man. 

He's earned at least $50M already, and will likely bring in another $50M even if he is fired.

We're all a bunch of internet-nobodies commenting on this (here, social media, etc) and nothing we say really matters in the grand scheme of things.

Don't feel too bad for him. He'll be fine.

I'd let all of you say these mean things about me for way less money. It happens for free today!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Process said:

We already know he is an imbecile and not fit for the job based on what we see on the field. 

A three part, targeted hit piece relieving things that happened behind closed doors years ago was not necessary and serves no purpose other than to humiliate a guy that is still currently the HC of the team. 

I actually was about to disagree with you here but then thought about it.  I think maybe it would have been better to come out after he is fired, but I do think it should be reported.

20 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

He's a respected journalist in the field.  I highly doubt he is going to ruin his credibility by making stuff up just to make a few bucks for one month.

I don’t think he made stuff up.  See post upthread about editing a battle scene filmed from a zillion angles.  You can accurately report what is told to you by sources, but the context of who the sources are and whether some of the stories were corroborated (and what stories were used vs omitted) matters.

Edited by Beck Water

13 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

No, I totally make my determinations of a person off of a two hour span and not their entire life and career too

Just now, Beck Water said:

I don’t think he made stuff up.  See post upthread about editing a battle scene filmed from a zillion angles.

mmmm you really gonna go make me go look for a post?  I don't really wanna.  You don't think he made stuff up so thats good enough for me.  I thought ya did.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

“Not absorbed in the way intended” remains incredibly out of touch with how far out in left field McDermott was here.

acknowledging the apology would be good, though we clearly can’t assume it was a high quality interaction there either if you are trying to be fair. 

We don’t know the entire context of the situation.  Ty makes a very short statement of what happened, without any acknowledgment of apology and follow up conversation.

let the reader make the determination of character.  Don’t point the reader to a conclusion, provide all evidence for them to craft their own

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, Low Positive said:

I'm trying to come up with the 25 sources. Here's what i've got:

1. Daboll
  2. Chad Hall
  3. Heath Farwell
  4. Jon Feliciano
  5. Quinton Spain
  6. Cole Beasley
  7. Devin Singletary
  8. Leslie Frasier
  9. John Brown
  10. Bobby Johnson
  11. Lil' Dirty
  12. Zach Moss
  13. Ken Dorsey
  14. Cody Ford
  15. Bobby Hart
  16. Levi Wallace

Gotta start with Whaley and Monos.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, BillsFooteball said:

I’m sure it’s somewhere in this thread can someone tell me how this was leaked? It happened in 2021 why is it just coming out now? Was it players who all of sudden don’t like McDermott then shared it with media?

The writer probably had it and sat on it for a while.  Also possible the writer dug for more stuff from people and got the story out of one of the former/current players and or assistant coaches.

Edited by Scott7975

6 minutes ago, BillsFooteball said:

I’m sure it’s somewhere in this thread can someone tell me how this was leaked? It happened in 2021 why is it just coming out now? Was it players who all of sudden don’t like McDermott then shared it with media?

Maybe Dunne simply asked people "tell me your craziest Sean McDermott story" and someone told him this one. 

5 hours ago, Low Positive said:

I'm trying to come up with the 25 sources. Here's what i've got:

1. Daboll
  2. Chad Hall
  3. Heath Farwell
  4. Jon Feliciano
  5. Quinton Spain
  6. Cole Beasley
  7. Devin Singletary
  8. Leslie Frasier
  9. John Brown
  10. Bobby Johnson
  11. Lil' Dirty
  12. Zach Moss
  13. Ken Dorsey
  14. Cody Ford
  15. Bobby Hart
  16. Levi Wallace

Can probably add a few others like Brett Farve.  Not everything in the article is specifically Buffalo Bills.  Some of it is talking about Farve/Holgrem/some other teams coaches and players to give comparisons to the Bills/McD/Josh etc.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.