I Got It - Why We Aren’t as Good as Them

Thrivefourfive

The Bills haven’t gotten over the hump because they don’t have the compliment of good/great players at the skilled positions. PERIOD.

The Most successful team, KC, has superstar/superstar, ex superstar (Hill), good backs and wr depth. Sick of talking about them, but they haven’t replaced Hill yet and now it’s really showing. They did the complete obvious with Kelce two years ago and for some reason the league just never caught up and it was too late by the time the Chiefs were holding the Lombardi. Genius.

Cincinnati. Great quarterback, superstar WR, great WR, good WR, B+ three down runningback, always effective RB depth. These players CARRY this team. No other position group on this team is special, except their kicker.

Jacksonville. Same thing as Cincy, Except they are soooo fast. RB is A great and three down, I don’t think Lawrence has completely adjusted to Ridley’s speed yet, and that’s why there have been struggles. But Calvin Ridley is a different looking speed beast. Kirk and Jones are a pretty good 2/3 as a combo. And Engram is looking mighty big and athletic. This offense is ridiculous. And I just love Peterson. He is always calling good games, and seems super into the game, invested in outcomes, and hyper focused. JA41 is a star now. 

Dolphins. Jesus Christ. It really is a track meet out there. Good QB / superstar WR / great WR / soon to be superstar RB, significant RB depth. Play calling off the charts. 

These are the AFC teams that are better than the Bills, and the player personal why. They all have practically identical defensive talent, with the except for your Chris Jones guys, an emerging JA41. The NFC has the best defenses at the top by far. 

The Chargers should be there with their skilled players (because THATS WHAT WINS IN THIS LEAGUE), but they are the Super Chargers.

Of course, Baltimore. Their offense are a gadget team with unique players that move in weird ways, and they always have a bruiser back running downhill. Andrews deserves a mention. Baltimores backbone is defense and equally special teams. They are always good and great year after year. 

Now the Bills. The only team they are above at skilled positions is the Ravens. This is why we feel good about beating the Ravens, and predictably unsure against any of the other teams in the playoffs.

The best Bills team of this run was 2021, and everybody just assumes that the alter story after we win 13 seconds is jumping right to the forecast that we match up well against the Rams…! I love the positive mindset but we cannot just chalk up an auto-win @ the Bengals in the make believe 2021 AFCCG. That’s just silly. After that win at Arrowhead, the Chiefs were spent, and they got to play at home. Logic would suggest the Bills would be more spent if they’d won 13 seconds.

So my point is, I think, the Bills are never going to beat these teams in the playoffs. Period. That is all. Unless they upgrade WR2, WR4, RB1/2/3, TE2..the guy is never healthy. 

Good to great skilled positions can work with C+ graded offensive lines (which any serious contender considers the floor), and a defense that can play good defense.. not great or anything, just top half of the league, with no glaring weaknesses, like a C grade position group. 

Since the Bills can actually fill in a roster of C+ or better position groups team wide, and have flashed special teams hahaha,  they must upgrade the skilled positions to B+/great/superstar. Only way they will win it all in the JA17 era. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 7
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Dislike 2

20 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

I’m pretty sure we beat the track stars/mad scientist. 

We did. Can’t take that away from the Bills. The formula doesn’t work every time, but it has worked in the playoffs every time. 

I’ll add to that that week 3 was the peak of the season. That was the best the Bills looked bar far. The beginning of that game was just one touchdown after another after another, and the Bills offense just didn’t stop. The Miami defense could not get a stop, and the game turned into a rout because of the defense battle. Both offenses were primed. And, Miami was still a little new to the group. KC, Cincy, Balt, Buffalo been doing this awhile. JAX and MIA not so much. 

Edited by Thrivefourfive
  • Like (+1) 1

We’re low on the phins! I can live with that 😆

But I do think their skilled position players are much better that the Bills. Allen carries the Bills in this matchup. But Hill, Waddle, Achane, Mostart are serious serious players. HC/OC may not be your type, but he’s very effective at what he’s doing. The Offensive head coach is an obvious advantage in the AFC stroll through the playoffs. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

The Bills haven’t gotten over the hump because they don’t have the compliment of good/great players at the skilled positions. PERIOD.

The Most successful team, KC, has superstar/superstar, ex superstar (Hill), good backs and wr depth. Sick of talking about them, but they haven’t replaced Hill yet and now it’s really showing. They did the complete obvious with Kelce two years ago and for some reason the league just never caught up and it was too late by the time the Chiefs were holding the Lombardi. Genius.

Cincinnati. Great quarterback, superstar WR, great WR, good WR, B+ three down runningback, always effective RB depth. These players CARRY this team. No other position group on this team is special, except their kicker.

Jacksonville. Same thing as Cincy, Except they are soooo fast. RB is A great and three down, I don’t think Lawrence has completely adjusted to Ridley’s speed yet, and that’s why there have been struggles. But Calvin Ridley is a different looking speed beast. Kirk and Jones are a pretty good 2/3 as a combo. And Engram is looking mighty big and athletic. This offense is ridiculous. And I just love Peterson. He is always calling good games, and seems super into the game, invested in outcomes, and hyper focused. JA41 is a star now. 

Dolphins. Jesus Christ. It really is a track meet out there. Good QB / superstar WR / great WR / soon to be superstar RB, significant RB depth. Play calling off the charts. 

These are the AFC teams that are better than the Bills, and the player personal why. They all have practically identical defensive talent, with the except for your Chris Jones guys, an emerging JA41. The NFC has the best defenses at the top by far. 

The Chargers should be there with their skilled players (because THATS WHAT WINS IN THIS LEAGUE), but they are the Super Chargers.

Of course, Baltimore. Their offense are a gadget team with unique players that move in weird ways, and they always have a bruiser back running downhill. Andrews deserves a mention. Baltimores backbone is defense and equally special teams. They are always good and great year after year. 

Now the Bills. The only team they are above at skilled positions is the Ravens. This is why we feel good about beating the Ravens, and predictably unsure against any of the other teams in the playoffs.

The best Bills team of this run was 2021, and everybody just assumes that the alter story after we win 13 seconds is jumping right to the forecast that we match up well against the Rams…! I love the positive mindset but we cannot just chalk up an auto-win @ the Bengals in the make believe 2021 AFCCG. That’s just silly. After that win at Arrowhead, the Chiefs were spent, and they got to play at home. Logic would suggest the Bills would be more spent if they’d won 13 seconds.

So my point is, I think, the Bills are never going to beat these teams in the playoffs. Period. That is all. Unless they upgrade WR2, WR4, RB1/2/3, TE2..the guy is never healthy. 

Good to great skilled positions can work with C+ graded offensive lines (which any serious contender considers the floor), and a defense that can play good defense.. not great or anything, just top half of the league, with no glaring weaknesses, like a C grade position group. 

Since the Bills can actually fill in a roster of C+ or better position groups team wide, and have flashed special teams hahaha,  they must upgrade the skilled positions to B+/great/superstar. Only way they will win it all in the JA17 era. 

Complete nonsense.

The Bills don't have a great record because they had an incompetent offensive coordinator who didn't know even the basics of preparing an offense or game plan.  THAT is definitely on McDermott and Bean--a series of specific questions in the interview process would have eliminated Dorsey immediately, as he was simply ignorant of so many aspects of the job he was just given. And, yes, once this became apparent, obvious, it took much much too long for them to cut their losses--hence, the losses..

But doesn't the Bills dramatic, over night turn around to one of the best, most productive offenses in the NFL IMMEDIATELY after Brady took over help you to understand this fact? 

Josh Allen's comment, with the first game of the new season not even finished yet, that he was "f*****g back", should have opened your eyes, but apparently it did not.  The problem in Buffalo was not a lack of talent, though of course more and better are always needed going forward to stay relevant.

The Bills became a balanced, creative, dynamic and extremely productive offense in less than a week after Dorsey was fired, showing plenty of talent, enough to compete with anyone in this league.  That turn around was not a coincidence.

Edited by Mister Defense
  • Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

51 minutes ago, CSBill said:

The continual paralysis by analysis is wearing me out. Buffalo Bills, just win, please, just win.

Just win baby.  Winning cures everything.  Lots of talking heads blah blah blah.  Lots of posters here blah blah blah.  Win, keep winning, and talking heads and doubters can't B word wah wah wah.

I will always support the Bills, because I love Buffalo!  So winning will be supersweet.  The cherry on top will be the haters and doubters eating crow

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

4 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Well I guess we can put your theory to the test next weekend, right?  

McDermott is a part of the problem not talent. The team has more than enough talent to win the championship and I watched the Defense totally change its approach in Philly last week in the second half.  I was at the game and the defense went from pressing to off coverage and the defense went from dominating to doormat. I had been ambivalent about McD until i witnessed this. Totally baffling and basically took the foot off the Eagles neck and gave them a hand to help them up. The D he is calling when it matters is losing games.  The proof is there all season.  They lost several games at the end do to poor defensive calls during his stint and this year in particular. The Giants snd Bucs games could have easily been 2 more. 

On one hsnd i have nothing but respect for the team being good agsin under his watch on the other,  we aint getting anything but teased with a championship with him. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, Ayjent said:

I watched the Defense totally change its approach in Philly last week in the second half.  I was at the game and the defense went from pressing to off coverage and the defense went from dominating to doormat. I had been ambivalent about McD until i witnessed this. Totally baffling and basically took the foot off the Eagles neck and gave them a hand to help them up. The D he is calling when it matters is losing games. 

THIS.

Compare to how Green Bay defended Mahomes with the game on the line.

Safeties were back, but CBs were right up on the receivers! Pressing. And it worked.

I do not understand how McDermott does not see this!! Instead he plays off and gets shredded, and calls blitzes at the worst times.

• Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 2

3 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

Complete nonsense.

The Bills don't have a great record because they had an incompetent offensive coordinator who didn't know even the basics of preparing an offense or game plan.  THAT is definitely on McDermott and Bean--a series of specific questions in the interview process would have eliminated Dorsey immediately, as he was simply ignorant of so many aspects of the job he was just given. And, yes, once this became apparent, obvious, it took much much too long for them to cut their losses--hence, the losses..

But doesn't the Bills dramatic, over night turn around to one of the best, most productive offenses in the NFL IMMEDIATELY after Brady took over help you to understand this fact? 

Josh Allen's comment, with the first game of the new season not even finished yet, that he was "f*****g back", should have opened your eyes, but apparently it did not.  The problem in Buffalo was not a lack of talent, though of course more and better are always needed going forward to stay relevant.

The Bills became a balanced, creative, dynamic and extremely productive offense in less than a week after Dorsey was fired, showing plenty of talent, enough to compete with anyone in this league.  That turn around was not a coincidence.

The problem is that if Dorsey had better talent on offense, he'd probably still be employed. Better talent on offense probably would have won the Jets/Broncos/Patriots games. Dorsey's problem was that he couldn't do more with less. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Dan Darragh said:

Not sure, because you blotted it out, but I think he said "fighting back"

He said “farming back!”. Was a tough period for Melons right before that game…

0dVeG60f_400x400.jpg

Edited by BBFL

The reason that this happened is that the Bills never got the grace period of having a star QB on a rookie deal. Burrow was a star from the moment that he stepped on an NFL field, and then he had the good fortune of getting hurt so that the Bengals could draft 7th and get  Chase. Now they’ve had this run, and they waited to pay Burrow until after his 4th year. Same with Mahomes, but the chickens of that contract are coming home to roost with the lack of pass catchers. With Josh, by the time he was playing at a high level it was time to pay him. That is why I want to start drafting NFL ready college stars instead of projects with traits. Take the best player from Alabama or Georgia that you can get. They’re ready to contribute now and they know how to win.

Edited by Low Positive
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Thrivefourfive said:

Ok, umm KC is the defending champs. Their #1 WR last year was JuJu “what route am I running” Smith-Shuster.  They are struggling this year because their young WR have a bad case of the drops.. and struggling at 8-4.. Shows how amazing Kelce and Mahomes are.

Miami strength of victory is .303. The best team they have beaten is 6-6.  They have by far the weakest schedule of all the AFC contenders.

Cincy just sliced and diced a decent Jags team with their backup QB.

Jags just lost Lawrence for at least a week or two. 

Ravens actually have a good WR that they drafted this year in Flowers. They have put up big numbers as well against a lot of teams. Scoring 25 or more points in 8 of 12 games.  I also don’t believe in them because I expect Jackson be hurt or turtle in the playoffs.

that said the Bills can beat anyone in the AFC if they come out motivated, because they can also lose to anyone in the AFC when they are not motivated. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Mister Defense said:

Complete nonsense.

Perfectly said. We will look back on the Dorsey Era as the darkest part of Josh’s career. A totally incompetent moron not fit to coach pee wee. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

Jesus Christ plays for the Fins?  

No wonder they're leading the AFC in points scored and will win the division.  

Otherwise, none of it could possibly have to do with a "defensive-minded" yet offensively strategically bereft coach that was once the only person in the world that truly believed that Nathan Peterman would give the team the best chances of winning, right?  

Edited by PBF81
  • Like (+1) 2

The Bills running back room is fine.  As long as play-caller does a decent job of mixing it into the attack, the guys we got can be dangerous and effective.

But I do agree that a pass-heavy team SHOULD be loaded at the WR position.  Just as Dalton Kincaid starts emerging, it seems as though Stefon Diggs is declining.  And the other guys are just solid at best.  We do more...

Before the last offseason, I feel like Brandon Beane's strategy has been to dedicate more resources to the Defense and hope that Josh Allen can elevate the guys on the other side of the ball.  Unfortunately it was a really bad year to upgrade passing attacks.  Free agency was really bare in the WR department, and all the good WR prospects were gone by our pick.  Kincaid was a good consolation prize.  The bright side is this upcoming draft class should be loaded at that position.

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

They haven't won it all because they make critical mistakes at key moments in games too often.  Full stop. 

"They" is the coaches.

One of the Eagles said about the Bills D in OT,  "we couldn't believe the defense were in. When I saw that I knew we had a TD." Tells you something about McD's defense in crunch time.

• Like (+1) 3

4 minutes ago, BuffaloBillies said:

Point Differential so far: 3rd best in AFC, 5th best in all of NFL.

It's coaching. Specifically end-of-game coaching.

image.thumb.png.0688e4907410e49c9859475b2abc6081.png

This can't be ignored.

McD is cooked.

Sad he'll reportedly get another year, Josh ain't getting younger.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, PBF81 said:

Jesus Christ plays for the Fins?  

No wonder they're leading the AFC in points scored and will win the division.  

Otherwise, none of it could possibly have to do with a "defensive-minded" yet offensively strategically bereft coach that was once the only person in the world that truly believed that Nathan Peterman would give the team the best chances of winning, right?  

Your obsession with Nathan Peterman is at a clinical level.  Just let the man go into the abyss. 

• Haha (+1) 1

I think the disappointment this year has been a team effort.

Beane has not given McD a SB calibre roster.  Injuries have hurt us.  Josh went through a slump.   Dorsey got stale as an OC.  There have been other coaching mistakes.  Player mistakes (drops, missed assignments, etc.) seem to come at the worst times.  Lady Luck hasn't been our friend.  

If we were to take this same roster and coaching staff (i.e. without Dorsey) into 2024, I think it does much better assuming it stays healthy.  But I'd love to see some positional upgrades.  

2 hours ago, Low Positive said:

The reason that this happened is that the Bills never got the grace period of having a star QB on a rookie deal. Burrow was a star from the moment that he stepped on an NFL field, and then he had the good fortune of getting hurt so that the Bengals could draft 7th and get  Chase. Now they’ve had this run, and they waited to pay Burrow until after his 4th year. Same with Mahomes, but the chickens of that contract are coming home to roost with the lack of pass catchers. With Josh, by the time he was playing at a high level it was time to pay him. That is why I want to start drafting NFL ready college stars instead of projects with traits. Take the best player from Alabama or Georgia that you can get. They’re ready to contribute now and they know how to win.

No

Allen's cap hits since 2021 have been $10M, $16M, and $18.6M respectively

Chiefs won a SB w Mahomes at a $35M cap hit

7 hours ago, Ray Stonada said:

I put our problems on playcalling. Mainly Dorsey making us far worse, and McD calling off-coverage every time we need to hold a lead.

We would be 10-2 or better otherwise. 

Remember McD not wanting Allen to run either.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Your obsession with Nathan Peterman is at a clinical level.  Just let the man go into the abyss. 

No it doesn't.  The fact he thought Nathan Peterman was a starting NFL qb says a lot about McD and how heblpoks at the offense and the qb position 

50 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

I think the disappointment this year has been a team effort.

Beane has not given McD a SB calibre roster.  Injuries have hurt us.  Josh went through a slump.   Dorsey got stale as an OC.  There have been other coaching mistakes.  Player mistakes (drops, missed assignments, etc.) seem to come at the worst times.  Lady Luck hasn't been our friend.  

If we were to take this same roster and coaching staff (i.e. without Dorsey) into 2024, I think it does much better assuming it stays healthy.  But I'd love to see some positional upgrades.  

What no mention of McD???? Really?  He's the #1 reason the Bills are where they are.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

N oitbis not.  The gact he thought Nathan Peterman was a starting NFL qb says a lot about McD and how heblpoks at the offense and the qb position 

What no mention of McD???? Really?  He's the #1 reason the Bills are where they are.

noui itsdeosnt. 

24 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

Clinical level? 

When's the last time he was mentioned?  Hyperbole much. 

So you don't think that it's relevant that McD was the only person in the entire world at that time, that supported Nathan Peterman, because he saw something in him, while sitting a 7th overall draft pick?  

You don't think that there's anything related there in terms of his viewing our offense, that might lend at least a smidgen of explanation as to the woes of our team?  

... please don't validate that.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, PBF81 said:

Clinical level? 

So you don't think that it's relevant that McD was the only person in the entire world at that time, that supported Nathan Peterman, because he saw something in him, while sitting a 7th overall draft pick?  

You don't think that there's anything related there in terms of his viewing our offense, that might lend at least a smidgen of explanation as to the woes of our team?  

You mention Peterman almost daily.  Don't make me dig up your obsessive posts.  LOL.  I got problems with McD.  None of them are from 7 years ago. 

2 hours ago, Solomon Grundy said:

The problem is that if Dorsey had better talent on offense, he'd probably still be employed. Better talent on offense probably would have won the Jets/Broncos/Patriots games. Dorsey's problem was that he couldn't do more with less. 

Nope, a lack of talent was not the problem--their offense was dismal in those games, unprepared in general and specifically for those teams.

Have you seen the Bills play on offense the last two games?

Keep watching them and you will surely see what happened earlier in the season.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

You mention Peterman almost daily.  Don't make me dig up your obsessive posts.  LOL.  I got problems with McD.  None of them are from 7 years ago. 

LOL 

Hyperbole indeed then.  

I'd make a $1,000 wager on that with you, but you'd quickly see that that's a complete lie.  

So yes, please, go ahead and dig up those "daily posts" with me obsessing about Peterman.  

Meanwhile, your blatant leapfrogging of the question hasn't gone unnoticed.  

Now, if you'd like to switch from ad hominem to actual discussion, I'm game.  Otherwise give it a rest if you don't mind.  

Looking forward to that string of "daily posts" about Peterman.  Good luck!!  

;) 

25 minutes ago, nedboy7 said:

noui itsdeosnt. 

No it doesn't. All thumbs😉

27 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Clinical level? 

I said it over and over that Allen should have started day one or been at worst groomed by a seasoned vet (i.e. like Fitz).  The worst was seeing McD doubling down on Peterman.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.