Von Miller faces arrest in domestic violence case in Dallas

ArdmoreRyno

5 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

It would make sense for the Bills and the limited market of teams (only Rams, Cowboys) competing for his services to insist on a strongly-worded morality clause.  Von not only had a domestic abuse claim issue that went away relatively quietly in 2021, but was also busted for PEDs early in his career.  

This kind of idea is a totally revisionist. Von  has always been pushed as one of the stand up, nice guys in the league. Before this he wouldn’t have made the top 100 individuals across the NFL, and after this he likely still doesn’t make the top 10. 

Based on all that, saying any team would make Von Miller  the first ever player to have a voidable contract based on off field behavior is a total pipe dream that only happens here and on Twitter. 

The only way out of the Von contract is to get some help from the league or for Miller to work on a retirement/injury settlement. 

That’s it. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Scott7975 said:

I could be wrong here but I think step 2 and 3 are backwards.  I don't believe a warrant for arrest is issued until a charge are filed.  I mean, its an arrest warrant.  You can't be arrested without being charged of a crime.

I don't think that's right.  A judge needs to find that there's "probable cause" to believe that the crime named in the warrant took place, but charges do not need to be filed prior to arrest.  Charges can be filed prior to an arrest but don't have to be.  Just probable cause that the crime took place and "whodunit".

But I could be wrong too, so I'll shut up now and let people who know more about the legal system talk.

Edit: this from ProFootballTalk, implies Von has not, in fact, been charged (and remember Florio, the founder and driver of PFT, is a lawyer)

Edited by Beck Water

1 hour ago, alg said:

Agreed, but this signing was always a nightmare in the making. Paying $120 mil for a guy at the end of his career is never a good idea. Watching OBD lap it up was astonishing. This was Beane at his worst.

And it was absolutely what 99.9% of Bills fans wanted.

• Agree 3

Still if we actually end up in a situation where we're still waiting for the NFL to do anything by the time we get to the game Von is obviously going to be inactive. That's just the situation we're in with that contract, that we're at least going to wait and see if we're going to be able to get out of any of it if this does all end up being the case.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

Still if we actually end up in a situation where we're still waiting for the NFL to do anything by the time we get to the game Von is obviously going to be inactive.

I have a sickening feeling that this won’t be the case, and at least a few times we’re  going to see him jogging at 60% speed after Mahomes who will be tiptoe-waddling his way into our secondary.

• Disagree 1

1 minute ago, RiotAct said:

I have a sickening feeling that this won’t be the case, and at least a few times we’re  going to see him jogging at 60% speed after Mahomes who will be tiptoe-waddling his way into our secondary.

Yeah this isn't a McDermott or Beane decision about if he can play well or not this is a Pegula/organization decision he's not going to be active they don't want that look.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Traditionally, Beane does his pressers at very specific times. There's usually 2 or 3 he does in the lead up to the draft. Normally he will have a small one after each day of the draft to talk about that days selections. He'll normally have one more before TC. Then typically, he does one right after the trade deadline. 

Next time we see him is normally 2-3 days after the season ends. Then the cycle starts again. I do understand wanting to hear from the teams GM right now, but all he would be able to say is that they are aware of the situation and there is an investigation. Anything else would likely get a "Well, I respect the question but...." type answers and he needs to be careful with what the team says right now as well.

I'd like to hear what he has to say about that signing in general.  

• Agree 1

36 minutes ago, muppy said:

@Warcodered common sense is not common enough. Didn't you know black was gray? It couldn't possibly be white

Logical thought vacant.. It is TIRING and happens across all media.

Muppy, You know I love ya, but this “logical thought vacant” crack seems like unintentional irony in this context.

Google “does being arrested mean you are charged?” And you will literally turn up dozens of hits explaining that  the two are different, and being arrested does not necessarily lead to charges.

First hit: “In short, arrests and charges are usually, separate. Generally, police arrest for suspicion of a crime, and prosecutors charge. Not all arrests lead to criminal charges or convictions.”

Second hit: “An arrest is typically a detention of an individual by police officers with probable cause; it is not considered to be either (i) sufficient for charging the person with a crime”……”Police do not file charges against you. Instead, a prosecutor reviews the evidence and determines what charges should be filed against you. Sometimes, a prosecutor will ask police to investigate more before filing charges. Other times, the evidence the police gathered is enough.”

etc etc

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

And it was absolutely what 99.9% of Bills fans wanted.

Well we all saw how well he performed with the Rams and the first half of 2022.  But in hindsight,  we all should've expected the worst outcome.  Its the Buffalo way.  Hopefully he agrees to a retirement buy out.  I don't want to see him in a Buffalo uni.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Muppy, You know I love ya, but this “logical thought vacant” crack seems like unintentional irony in this context.

Google “does being arrested mean you are charged?” And you will literally turn up dozens of hits explaining that  the two are different, and being arrested does not necessarily lead to charges.

First hit: “In short, arrests and charges are usually, separate. Generally, police arrest for suspicion of a crime, and prosecutors charge. Not all arrests lead to criminal charges or convictions.”

Second hit: “An arrest is typically a detention of an individual by police officers with probable cause; it is not considered to be either (i) sufficient for charging the person with a crime”……”Police do not file charges against you. Instead, a prosecutor reviews the evidence and determines what charges should be filed against you. Sometimes, a prosecutor will ask police to investigate more before filing charges. Other times, the evidence the police gathered is enough.”

etc etc

well this is news to me Beck. If a person is arrested it seems logical to me that they would need be "charged" with a crime.  All the rest of what you posted was also informative. thanks.

PS: what's love got to do with it LOL just kidding 🙂

46 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

I'd like to hear what he has to say about that signing in general.  

And what good does that do, exactly? If he says what you agree with you yell "SEE! SEE!" and if he says literally anything else it's "GM speak". 

I don't care what he has to say about it in a press conference....I'd give a kidney to spend the day as a spider in the web of his office though.

22 hours ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Glad to see some articles mentioning that no one has been able to confirm that the person who texted the TV station was in fact the GF.

Also, Texas can pursue charges even if she goes back on the her statement. 

https://www.wivb.com/sports/buffalo-bills/texas-attorney-says-von-miller-investigation-will-continue-even-if-alleged-victim-recants/amp/

This seems relevant to the issue of charges I guess.

Legal experts in Texas say this will be a lengthy legal process and the district attorney’s office will not begin their investigation until it receives the police documents, which could take about a month. Then, prosecutors will investigate the case and could push it to grand jury, which would decide if Miller should be indicted and go to trial on these charges.

Several attorneys in Dallas say this case will likely be expedited because of Miller’s status and plea deal or other agreement could be made during the investigation.

Also so his attorney is a Texas State Senator, just a random interesting fact.

34 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

And what good does that do, exactly? If he says what you agree with you yell "SEE! SEE!" and if he says literally anything else it's "GM speak". 

I don't care what he has to say about it in a press conference....I'd give a kidney to spend the day as a spider in the web of his office though.

LOL ... so much cynicism. 

Just curious what he thinks about it now, or whether it will affect his future decisions, to be wiser ones.  

That seems to bother you.  Why?  

Edited by PBF81

8 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

LOL ... so much cynicism. 

Just curious what he thinks about it now, or whether it will affect his future decisions, to be wiser ones.  

That seems to bother you.  Why?  

I'm just saying the things any GM says in a Presser is...well edited for the masses. Beane's usually a pretty straight forward guy, but I doubt he'd add anything of substance on the subject. 

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I'm just saying the things any GM says in a Presser is...well edited for the masses. Beane's usually a pretty straight forward guy, but I doubt he'd add anything of substance on the subject. 

Well, of course, and without beating this into the ground, that's what I was referring to, having him get questioned enough to press him for his thinking.  

2 hours ago, muppy said:

well this is news to me Beck. If a person is arrested it seems logical to me that they would need be "charged" with a crime.  All the rest of what you posted was also informative. thanks.

PS: what's love got to do with it LOL just kidding 🙂

.but.a sweet old fashioned notion. 🎶🎵

But seriously - to paraphrase something a friend used to say about federal regulations….”These are Laws and Legal Proceedings.  You‘re expecting logic and common sense to be involved here.  That’s your mistake.  That’s where you’re going wrong.”

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Mango said:

This kind of idea is a totally revisionist. Von  has always been pushed as one of the stand up, nice guys in the league. Before this he wouldn’t have made the top 100 individuals across the NFL, and after this he likely still doesn’t make the top 10. 

Based on all that, saying any team would make Von Miller  the first ever player to have a voidable contract based on off field behavior is a total pipe dream that only happens here and on Twitter. 

The only way out of the Von contract is to get some help from the league or for Miller to work on a retirement/injury settlement. 

That’s it. 

Deshaun Watson’s guaranteed contract is voidable if he’s suspended 2 games per BR and PFT. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10090661-pft-deshaun-watsons-browns-contract-guarantees-can-be-voided-if-suspended-2-games

Edited by Charles Romes
  • Thank you (+1) 1

36 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Deshaun Watson’s guaranteed contract is voidable if he’s suspended 2 games per BR and PFT. 

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10090661-pft-deshaun-watsons-browns-contract-guarantees-can-be-voided-if-suspended-2-games

I think teams/GMs have finally got smart and put it in contracts. 

On 12/3/2023 at 8:39 AM, NoName said:

One of the Bills worst free agent acquisitions in the history of the organization. What does the numbers look like if he’s cut after 2024 season?

That was the original out - they added a restructure this year for cap space so its worse than originally.  

If cut after 2024 its 15.4M dead in 2025.  You can split it into 6.37M in 2025 and 9M in 2026.  That provides 17.5M in cap savings. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Sweet. It took Deshaun Watson exposing himself to dozens and dozens and dozens of women and the first ever full guaranteed contract to have that clause. If Cleveland pulls the trigger and ever has the ability to void his deal it will be the first time it has ever happened across the league. 

For the 1000000th time. The league has viewed Miller as one of the good guys until last week. He has been pushed on fans everywhere as a stand up guy. While I think the guy sucks as a human, his dropped DV charge and positive steroid test is basically the cost of admission to even play in the NFL. No team would ever put that in their contract for a guy like Von, and Von would never sign it. 

The situation Watson was in at the time of signing is night and day to Von when he signed in Buffalo. Any voidable language due to off field behavior is exceedingly rare, and to your point, only present in the leagues most rare cases. Until the other day Von Miller was a choir boy by NFL standards. 

The only cap relief we will get will be from league intervention or Von Miller renegotiating some sort of retirement or injury buy out. 

• Agree 1

14 hours ago, Steptide said:

Beane is able to re work his contract correct? I mean assuming he sucks the rest of the season, that is an option no? 

Um, no?  I don't think any NFL GM has the option to rework a player's contract for "underperforming".

Contracts get renegotiated (as far as I know) three ways:

1) the player's salary is converted to signing bonus and amortized over the length of the contract or even beyond.  This is called "kicking the can down the road" and the Bills did it with Tre White, Von Miller, etc.

2) The player is owed a substantial salary, none of which is guaranteed, and the "dead money" the team will accrue is minimal if he's cut.  (Mitch Morse a few years back).  So the player accepts a salary cut in exchange for guaranteeing most or all of the lower salary.
3) A player who retires while he's under contract, in principle, can be asked to repay the unamortized portion of his signing bonus.  In practice, players file grievances over this and it's disliked as a practice, so teams seldom seem to request this

In 2024, the Bills owe Von $32M in dead money if he's cut, $23M if we keep him.  The only relief we're likely to get on that is $1.3M/game if he's suspended, so $7.84M if he's suspended the "minimum" 6 games for DV after the league completes its investigation.

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

The situation Watson was in at the time of signing is night and day to Von when he signed in Buffalo. Any voidable language due to off field behavior is exceedingly rare, and to your point, only present in the leagues most rare cases. Until the other day Von Miller was a choir boy by NFL standards. 

The only cap relief we will get will be from league intervention or Von Miller renegotiating some sort of retirement or injury buy out. 

Agreed.  And don't "bet the rent" on that retirement re-negotiation favorable to the team occurring.  It didn't with Eric Wood.   It didn't with Andrew Luck.  I can't think of a case where a retiring vested veteran did this, actually - I believe there was a LB with SFO who retired before he'd played a down in the league who repaid his signing bonus, but that's about all.

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

this contract came totally out of the blue if I remember correctly...

The story was the Bills are strapped with the cap and won't be able to do much that offseason...

Then out of literally nowhere they signed Miller to a bazillion dollar contract for 20 years or whatever. 

My point? The cap isn't real. Just move some money around and keep it rolling until this contract can come off the books without killing the team. 

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

He is 100% ineffective on the field, and evidence points to he did this charges or not.

Von, tre, and both poyer and Hyde need to go this offseason.  I said before,the Saints have been 100 mill over the cap and pulled it off.  Just take the hit and move on.

why all the hate for Tre this year? 

37 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Without being suspended, they can’t stop Non from practicing, but this clown should be inactive the rest of the season. 

VERY impressive! How did you learn to be able to read the future? Were you born with this gift or did it just develop over time? 

I’m disappointed to learn this, unfortunately. I was hoping he would get his legs, confidence and conditioning back and be able to be a factor later in the season, but I guess you’ve ruled that out so we’ll just have to believe you because you……well……..you say so. 

4 minutes ago, yall said:

I think Non and McDoormat should be officially added to the TBD lexicon.

I think all the childish name calling should be sent back to elementary school. 

• Eyeroll 2

30 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

it's not hate. It's just realizing he's donezo.

Two serious leg injuries in three years. Even if he does come back, he's not going to have the speed necessary to start.

Aaron Rodgers mentioned on McAfee's show that Tre is at the Achilles Factory with him and Dobbins 

25 minutes ago, Augie said:

VERY impressive! How did you learn to be able to read the future? Were you born with this gift or did it just develop over time? 

I’m disappointed to learn this, unfortunately. I was hoping he would get his legs, confidence and conditioning back and be able to be a factor later in the season, but I guess you’ve ruled that out so we’ll just have to believe you because you……well……..you say so. 

I think all the childish name calling should be sent back to elementary school. 

It’s called an opinion, like 99% of the posts here, but feel free to carry on. 

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, pennstate10 said:

Headline at The Athletic this morning said Von Miller released. 

Misleading though. I think they meant released from polic custody. 

He won’t be released until the NFL decides if they are going to suspend him. All reports they are dragging their feet on the Von situation. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.