Orlovsky: Buffalo never once forced Hurts to make the harder throw

SydneyBillsFan

I agree that Orlovsky seems like a fish out of water at ESPN, given he actually has insightful, fact-based things to say.  

Mina Kimes is pretty good too.  I think she may be out on leave right now though?

In regards to the race thing.. I’ve seen a lot of that start to be mentioned based on the over the top criticism from some black analysts.   And there is some there, there..  Allen isn’t your typical white QB.  He came into the league as an athlete.. the moniker typically given to black QB’s, and has been viewed through a racial lens ever since he made the jump to elite QB.    Some thinking he’s been given a pass on certain things a black QB wouldn’t and/or the idea that he’s the “great white hope” at QB, given he possesses otherworldly athleticism and isn’t just a drop back guy with some wiggle like Burrow. 

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 2

8 hours ago, QB Bills said:

If I had to guess, I think that catch and run by tyreek hill in the 13 seconds game (right before the final Davis TD) has given McDoormat PTSD. Ever since then he is so terrified of giving up a long TD that he concedes yards at the ends of close games to the point where he's willing to give up a field goal attempt and take his chances. Granted, yesterday's kick was borderline miraculous, but it still shouldn't have gotten to that point.

Bingo!  Agree 100%.  McDermott is scared to death of giving up the big play at the end of tight games and I really believe it goes back to the Hill TD.

2 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I agree that Orlovsky seems like a fish out of water at ESPN, given he actually has insightful, fact-based things to say.  

Mina Kimes is pretty good too.  I think she may be out on leave right now though?

In regards to the race thing.. I’ve seen a lot of that start to be mentioned based on the over the top criticism from some black analysts.   And there is some there, there..  Allen isn’t your typical white QB.  He came into the league as an athlete.. the moniker typically given to black QB’s, and has been viewed through a racial lens ever since he made the jump to elite QB.    Some thinking he’s been given a pass on certain things a black QB wouldn’t and/or the idea that he’s the “great white hope” at QB, given he possesses otherworldly athleticism and isn’t just a drop back guy with some wiggle like Burrow. 

I agree with this. Allen certainly gets his share of criticism but it’s nothing compared to what Cam Newton got. Newton would get called out all the time for his body language or ridiculous crap. 

I hope we are getting to a point where qbs are just being judged on being qbs. I think a guy like Allen paved the way for Anthony Richardson (not great college production, high upside/ physical tools). 

9 hours ago, Dr.Sack said:

Marcus Spears criticism of Allen is borderline racist and I’m saying that as a black man. 

Why? Honest question. 

8 hours ago, ChrisWatson#21 said:

Marcus Spears still mad Josh turned out to be the better QB of the 2018 class.  Lots of those analysts still on Lamar’s nuts.

What are we even arguing about here? Lamar, who some guys thought should be a rb, has a MVP, the number 1 seed in the AFC, and is like third in MVP odds. I think Allen is better but people should think Lamar (who gets crapped on more than any other good qb) is really good as well too.

9 hours ago, 0017 said:

I think he runs a good defensive scheme for most of the game (usually) but at the end of close games he needs to figure something else out, it’s too easy. Make the QB have to throw it over our CBs heads occasionally, it’s a much tougher throw, but whatever McD is the defensive genius 🙄

I remember the laughable thread about how great the defense allowing 500 yards against Jax was.  This defense is soft and when they need a clutch play almost non existant.

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

Every single accurate QB shreds McDermotts defense. It’s been that way since 2019. It’s plain as day. If you play a QB that even belongs in the nfl, willing to take the easy throws we will get shredded. The only teams we ever stop are the ones that will turn it over. You can basically run on us at will or have guys streaking wide open on every 3rd down. If you can buy an extra second it’s there. What value does this coach have to us? He isn’t even good at his own specialty?

That's not true...they have made Brady look bad a few times, Rodgers looked bad, etc...

Let's not try to re-write history based on recent events.  For a long time Buffalo was the "No-Fly Zone" of the NFL and they made even the simple 5 yard checkdowns tough throws.

10 hours ago, SydneyBillsFan said:

In reference to the final drive prior to the 59-yard FG, Orlovsky tears McD a new one.

From 6:20:

How can the title of that video be bills issues bigger than josh allen?  With a picture of that loser marcus spears no less.  Marcus spears never made a big play in his entire time in the nfl and was repeatedly responsible for the Dallas D getting gashed in big games........what a ridiculous title.

loss on more than just josh allen?  WTF?

Edited by MikePJ76
  • Thank you (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

For those that actually take Spears seriously, consider this:

The guy is a moron and he was the entire time in Dallas.  He was a first round bust.  he always blamed parcells scheme and then sucked in wade phillips  scheme

just as bad.  The guy never made any plays his entire time in Dallas.

I never watch ESPN but it is shocking to see them sit there and talk about allen like this.  Its comical and it explains why the national narrative is the way it is.  The simpletons watch this stuff and then believe it and repeat it.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, MikePJ76 said:

The guy is a moron and he was the entire time in Dallas.  He was a first round bust.  he always blamed parcells scheme and then sucked in wade phillips  scheme

just as bad.  The guy never made any plays his entire time in Dallas.

I never watch ESPN but it is shocking to see them sit there and talk about allen like this.  Its comical and it explains why the national narrative is the way it is.  The simpletons watch this stuff and then believe it and repeat it.  

Anyone still drinking the mainstream kool-aid in 2023 has no excuse, frankly. For any news and analysis, sports or otherwise, you're far better off looking into independent media. 

I'd think everyone would have learned that after the Monte T'eo fiasco, but, well, that's willful ignorance for ya. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

Agreed on Orlovsky and Kimes. Kimes is great for a non-player.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

I agree with this. Allen certainly gets his share of criticism but it’s nothing compared to what Cam Newton got. Newton would get called out all the time for his body language or ridiculous crap. 

I hope we are getting to a point where qbs are just being judged on being qbs. I think a guy like Allen paved the way for Anthony Richardson (not great college production, high upside/ physical tools). 

Why? Honest question. 

What are we even arguing about here? Lamar, who some guys thought should be a rb, has a MVP, the number 1 seed in the AFC, and is like third in MVP odds. I think Allen is better but people should think Lamar (who gets crapped on more than any other good qb) is really good as well too.

With regards to Josh and race and the Talking heads...

There are a number of black Talking Heads who were insulted that the NFL drafted a small-school project in the top 10 over heisman winning, big program Lamar Jackson. They assigned that blame to Josh like it was his fault, and will take every opportunity through his career to point out his issues.

I get their frustration, but it isnt fair to take it out on Josh like they do.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

10 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

Ugh, the defense is giving up less than 20 pts per game, including last night’s game, ranked 6th in the league.  Yardage wise they’re 10th.  In what’s now a passing league, they’re 7th in the NFL, giving up just over 200 yards passing/game.

Stats are for losers, watch some game film

3 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Want to be fair. D had big stop last year to win KC game.  Other than that, has D made a late stop to win a game (I guess you can include NYG game this year but what a cluster bleep that was)?  Honest question.

We held a 3-point lead with 15 seconds left vs the Rams in 2020 to seal the win after a Robert Woods fumble. 

Although considering we let them back into the game after being up 28-3 you may not take that as a positive, lol

2 hours ago, Nuncha said:

And this was Orlovsky's most famous play as a QB:

DO.JPG

Gotta love the expression on Jared Allen's face.

He had a hard time overcoming people's memories of that stupid play and getting respect for his takes..........but he's accomplished it.   He's pretty good at what he does.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

7 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

yes. Keenan Allen had the same situationSun night,  probably worse and it was ruled a fumble

And NFL officiating has been a model of inconsistency for a long time now.  This year has probably been the worst it's been in a while.

I agree, it shouldn't have been blown dead and then went to review but I don't think it would have stood because the NFL knows that a game decided by a booth review is just as bad as the game being decided by the refs.

Edited by The Wiz

Hurts has worked hard to make himself into a massive thighed, tough to tackle player who can execute easy throws with accuracy and touch.........a big upgrade over the non-passer he was at Alabama..........but I am quite certain if forced to make the kind of tight window throws that Mahomes, Allen and Burrow so often have to make he would not be held in much esteem as a QB.    Teams just can't force that against this stacked Eagles roster.      

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

11 hours ago, BobbyC81 said:

Ugh, the defense is giving up less than 20 pts per game, including last night’s game, ranked 6th in the league.  Yardage wise they’re 10th.  In what’s now a passing league, they’re 7th in the NFL, giving up just over 200 yards passing/game.

What are you talking about? This defense is horrible. They played Zach Wilson twice (and lost once btw) The giants who couldn’t score in a 20 quarter game, the Pats who actually lit us up, the raiders, Washington and the Bucs….this defense is horrible. There are some people that aren’t going to get that no matter what, I get that. The defense was why we haven’t won a Super Bowl yet and it’s why we have lost every playoff game since Jacksonville. The Jags playoff game was the only loss that wasn’t on the defense. That isn’t even the same team now.

This defense is the problem, it has been since 2019. McDermott Is the problem. Teams got tape on him after that first year and it’s been downhill ever since. That’s what really happened.  The Safetys got old and they stopped erasing flaws on every snap. 27/21/23/58 made McDermott. The covered up all the flaws in his horseshit zone. They made it so he could be clueless and get bailed out by unbelievable skill in the back 7. You want to talk about number 2 WRs all off-season and How to use TEs….The offense is elite and has been for 4 full seasons. The issue is the defense. Either realize it and get us there or keep ignoring it and waste entire career prime windows.

• Like (+1) 1

25 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Hurts has worked hard to make himself into a massive thighed, tough to tackle player who can execute easy throws with accuracy and touch.........a big upgrade over the non-passer he was at Alabama..........but I am quite certain if forced to make the kind of tight window throws that Mahomes, Allen and Burrow so often have to make he would not be held in much esteem as a QB.    Teams just can't force that against this stacked Eagles roster.      

2015 Tyrod Taylor with more willingness to take risks IMO

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Agreed on Orlovsky and Kimes. Kimes is great for a non-player.

With regards to Josh and race and the Talking heads...

There are a number of black Talking Heads who were insulted that the NFL drafted a small-school project in the top 10 over heisman winning, big program Lamar Jackson. They assigned that blame to Josh like it was his fault, and will take every opportunity through his career to point out his issues.

I get their frustration, but it isnt fair to take it out on Josh like they do.

Agree and I think it is bigger than just Allen and Lamar. For a long time, black, “athletic” qbs would be drafted low if not drafted at all (Charlie Ward won a Heisman and wasn’t given a shot in the nfl). And the Allen type prospect (big, big arm, very uneven production a la Hackenburg or Blaine Gabbert) would be drafted high based on nothing they actually did in college.  I hated the Allen type prospect and it wasn’t about Josh, who I truly believe is a unicorn. So when Allen, who wasn’t this Allen in college, gets drafted so high while a Heisman trophy winner is talked about switched positions, it is kinda BS. 

I also think that because black analysts doesn’t like Allen (and what does that even mean? Who doesn’t have him at worse top 5) because they think he might be too turnover prone, that isn’t just because he’s not black as well. I know you aren’t saying that but that’s kinda messed up to think that a black analyst might think that way. 

54 minutes ago, st pete gogolak said:

Want to be fair. D had big stop last year to win KC game.  Other than that, has D made a late stop to win a game (I guess you can include NYG game this year but what a cluster bleep that was)?  Honest question.

I'll bite, and get flamed...

Philly: 1:52, down 3, but with 2TOs, and (very?) good QB/O. That's a layup in modern NFL.

Result: no TD, no gimme FG. Instead, they have to rely on a 20%, 59-yd attempt in awful weather conditions.

Yes, I would've loved for the D to force a TO on downs or otherwise. But, regardless of circumstances, and on this particular high-leverage series, I would consider this a "stop" or damn near it.

Put it this way: at 1:52, if you would've told me I could have that non-ST result (again, irrespective of play sequence), I'd say "ok, I'll take that chance".

Btw: I'm not/not talking about the more general--and obvious--problem of late-game D failures.

• Agree 2

11 hours ago, 0017 said:

So f-ing true!! It’s so frustrating! Those throws are so easy Mac jones could make them or Zack Wilson or Tua…..well maybe not Tua, but you know what I mean. 

Both Mac Jones and Zack Wilson did indeed make those throws on their way to victories against us

3 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Agree and I think it is bigger than just Allen and Lamar. For a long time, black, “athletic” qbs would be drafted low if not drafted at all (Charlie Ward won a Heisman and wasn’t given a shot in the nfl). And the Allen type prospect (big, big arm, very uneven production a la Hackenburg or Blaine Gabbert) would be drafted high based on nothing they actually did in college.  I hated the Allen type prospect and it wasn’t about Josh, who I truly believe is a unicorn. So when Allen, who wasn’t this Allen in college, gets drafted so high while a Heisman trophy winner is talked about switched positions, it is kinda BS. 

I also think that because black analysts doesn’t like Allen (and what does that even mean? Who doesn’t have him at worse top 5) because they think he might be too turnover prone, that isn’t just because he’s not black as well. I know you aren’t saying that but that’s kinda messed up to think that a black analyst might think that way. 

The second paragraph applies to all analysts. White or Black. Everyone bashes Allen for his turn overs, but praises Mahomes as if he never turns it over, and dont even mention Tua.

That just stems from him being a project and him being so wild his first couple of seasons versus the more pedigree guys.

I dont think there's a race factor there like there is with his draft position (which is actually a valid discussion if presented properly).

10 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

2015 Tyrod Taylor with more willingness to take risks IMO

He’s way better than Tyrod. Tyrod never wins a game like that. 

I Know people can only compare qbs of the same race but I think Hurts is very similar to Allen. Much different paths but guys who got better every year. Allen is the better passer but Hurts takes care of the ball better and stays so composed. I love how Hurts was a great teammate when he got benched at Bama, didn’t blame anyone or cry about it, and just worked harder.

• Dislike 1

10 hours ago, QB Bills said:

If I had to guess, I think that catch and run by tyreek hill in the 13 seconds game (right before the final Davis TD) has given McDoormat PTSD. Ever since then he is so terrified of giving up a long TD that he concedes yards at the ends of close games to the point where he's willing to give up a field goal attempt and take his chances. Granted, yesterday's kick was borderline miraculous, but it still shouldn't have gotten to that point.

Seems like its either that or he all out blitzes like he chose to do against Russel Wilson that cost us the game on that floater he threw to Jeudy that got the P.I. call on Taron.   

If he just rushed four and played our normal defense we probably win both the Eagles and Broncos games not to mention the 13 seconds game.

McD just got an extended contract, he isn't getting fired.  His strength is leadership and creating a strong team brotherhood, but he needs support for his game coaching, he falls short there and it's been proven time and time again.    Help the guy, don't fire the guy.  Get the quality control/game managers in the booth to call the time outs, manage the plays/clock and end of half end of game strategies.   He wasn't good at that BEFORE he had to call a defensive play every down, so instead of giving him less to think about we actually put more on his plate.     

We pride ourselves on developing and supporting our players, lets do it for McD.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 11/28/2023 at 3:13 AM, Dr.Sack said:

Put Von on IR bring him back in 4 weeks. 

We need to put Von on IR and bench him permanently. He is only going through the motions and he was literally walking on the field in this game.   The play was not over and he was in the vicinity of the offensive player, that had the ball,  and he is walking towards the play.   He should never suit up as a Buffalo Bills player again.  We some how need to trade or dump this guy in the offseason.  He is completely washed up and is now a wasted roster spot, him being paid a stupid amount of money killed this team this year.  Because Beane did not write anything into his contract to get this guy out of his contract if something like this happened performance wise.  Injuries happen, but the player is also responsible for admitting when he can perform up to a certain standard required to keep a active roster spot.

IMO he should not see the field as a Bill ever again.  Beane completely struck out on this FA signing for sure, injury or not this contract should never have happened in the first place.

Edited by Toyo321

2 minutes ago, Dukestreetking said:

I'll bite, and get flamed...

I actually agree with this but have to mention that Kelce took back to back false starts to push them back 10yrds or else it would have been a very makeable 49 yrdr instead.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

The second paragraph applies to all analysts. White or Black. Everyone bashes Allen for his turn overs, but praises Mahomes as if he never turns it over, and dont even mention Tua.

That just stems from him being a project and him being so wild his first couple of seasons versus the more pedigree guys.

I dont think there's a race factor there like there is with his draft position (which is actually a valid discussion if presented properly).

If Allen wins 2 SBs and 2 MVPs, he is ducking criticism too. It’s always going to be like that. 

and Tua gets killed all the time as a system qb. Allen is a god and he deserves to be. But the turnovers is a real thing. It’s so hard because his aggressiveness makes him great but that int in the Philly game was a huge turning point in a game he completely dominated and deserved to win. 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

THe guy they're referring to Spears wouldn't have him as a top5 QB, I've listened to him enough to say that confidently

And Cam was drafted first overall in 2011 so it's not like there isn't precedent for that type of QB going high

4 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Of course they do

Hurts turned the ball over twice lol and the only turnover that gets mentioned is Allen's

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He’s way better than Tyrod. Tyrod never wins a game like that. 

I agree he's better than Tyrod because he takes risks that Tyrod never took. I meant it in the sense of Tyrod never made tight window throws, it just wasn't in his nature. But he threw a pretty deep ball and obviously had mobility. Ultimately though you need an absolutely stacked team around a QB like that to go the distance. The Eagles to their credit have done it.

The loss is "more than JUST Josh Allen?"

WTAF?

Allen accounted for over 400 yards of offense and 4 TDS on the road against the team with the NFL's best record who just represented the NFC in the Super Bowl and  in a pouring rainstorm. Yes, he threw 1 INT. 

Led the offense to a potential game winning drive in regulation. Defense let the Eagles drive down and score.

Led the offense to another potential game winning drive in OT. Defense gave up a TD to lose. 

But it's ALLEN? 

Is that really the narrative? That Allen is to blame? 

Edited by TheFunPolice
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

2 minutes ago, GoBills808 said:

THe guy they're referring to Spears wouldn't have him as a top5 QB, I've listened to him enough to say that confidently

Let's be clear: Spears is an ABSOLUTE CLOWN on NFL Live. He's only there to give dumb hot takes for the real pros like Orlovsky and Ryan Clark to play off of.

Spears made that show unwatchable through the 2021 and 2022 seasons. He's dialed it back a little bit now that they are back in studio. But dude is just there to make jokes and throw out trash takes.

I'm not excusing it, just explaining and denoting for anyone who happens to catch NFL Live.

Give me Orlovsky, Clark, and Kimes and you got a good panel.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, TheFunPolice said:

The loss is "more than JUST Josh Allen?"

WTAF?

Allen accounted for over 400 yards of offense and 4 TDS in a pouring rainstorm. Yes, he threw 1 INT. 

Is that really the narrative? That Allen is to blame? 

Yes, because ESPN has become the MSNBC/FOX of sports.  All they do is try to drive engagement by riling people up.  

If Philly misses a 59 yard FG at the end, the entire narrative yesterday would be how Josh Allen is the MVP front runner.  Instead, thanks to McDermott and his Defense, we get to deal with this nonsense. 

Just like 13 seconds has driven the post-season JA narrative.. again, thanks to McDermott and his Defense. 

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, HappyDays said:

I agree he's better than Tyrod because he takes risks that Tyrod never took. I meant it in the sense of Tyrod never made tight window throws, it just wasn't in his nature. But he threw a pretty deep ball and obviously had mobility. Ultimately though you need an absolutely stacked team around a QB like that to go the distance. The Eagles to their credit have done it.

I think Hurts would be good on any time. He almost won a Heisman, was a number 1 recruit in the country. I’m saying you do this but there are certain qbs people always find faults with like Hirts and Lamar. Maybe the guys who were awesome in high school , college, and are having good success in the nfl are just good QBs.

i mean if Josh Allen goes to Carolina instead of Buffalo with an top 5 defense and an OC he had for 4 years who became a coach of the year, maybe he’s not the same player. Situation matters for every qb but it seems like certain qbs always face more scrutiny.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.