Change the overtime rules!

beebe

It's so stupid that this classic game ended so abruptly. The Bills got a field goal in overtime, the Eagles responded with a touchdown, but did so with time still left on the clock. There was 2:37 still left! Why is the game over? Why even have a clock at all? I have zero doubt Josh would have drove the Bills down the field for a go-ahead score before the end of overtime. But instead, this corrupt league, which ALWAYS has it out for the Bills in every way, sticks it to them yet again. 

The game should go on. Who in America didn't want to see Josh orchestrate a game-winning TD drive? I know who: The Eagles and the league who is in their pocket, that's who. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 3
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Shocked 1
  • Disagree 3
  • Haha (+1) 9
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Dislike 4

Just now, Donuts and Doritos said:

We got hosted on our own rule change. Before that we'd have won w/ the FG. Then we got the rule changed. 🤣😰😭

LMAO. That was a rule changed that happened well before the 13-seconds KC overtime game. What changed out of that was allowing both teams to possess the ball no matter what. Otherwise, if the first team kicks a field goal the other team gets a chance has been a rule for at least 6 or 7 years. 

• Disagree 1

8 minutes ago, beebe said:

It's so stupid that this classic game ended so abruptly. The Bills got a field goal in overtime, the Eagles responded with a touchdown, but did so with time still left on the clock. There was 2:37 still left! Why is the game over? Why even have a clock at all? I have zero doubt Josh would have drove the Bills down the field for a go-ahead score before the end of overtime. But instead, this corrupt league, which ALWAYS has it out for the Bills in every way, sticks it to them yet again. 

The game should go on. Who in America didn't want to see Josh orchestrate a game-winning TD drive? I know who: The Eagles and the league who is in their pocket, that's who. 

What? First it’s “if Allen got the ball he would have tied it “ against the Chiefs now the league is corrupt because Allen and the Bills couldn’t score a TD on their possession? (Face palm) 

• Vomit 1

2 minutes ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Really, thought it changed w/ the KC game. Well thanks for the lesson. I'll see myself out.

There was a change after the kc game too just not the one you’re talking about lol you’re off by over a decade 

in fact, if they extended the ‘bills rule’ to the regular season, we wouldn’t have even won if gabe scored that td in ot 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Games should just end with a tie.  Alternatively, just add 10 minutes to clock, and play from where things are at the end of the fourth quarter.  Teams in a tie game will have to take that into account when making clock management decisions. 

Edited by Chaos
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 11/26/2023 at 8:18 PM, beebe said:

LMAO,  lets keep changing the rules until we win because out HC chokes in crunch time

13 minutes ago, DrBob806 said:

Agree. The greatest record of all time, the 1970 Chargers at 5-6-3 🤣

1970 NFL

And, after all, what's the matter with a tie? I mean, in regular season?

1970 Chargers notwithstanding, "no overtime" may incentivize teams to play for the win during regulation - things like more 2 point conversion attempts, more likely to go for it on 4th down rather than kicking a FG to tie it, etc. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Chaos said:

Games should just end with a tie.  Alternatively, just add 10 minutes to clock, and play from where things are at the end of the fourth quarter.  Teams in a tie game will have to take that into account when making clock management decisions. 

1 hour ago, DrBob806 said:

Agree. The greatest record of all time, the 1970 Chargers at 5-6-3 🤣

1970 NFL

I hate both Ohio St and Michigan, so Saturday in the game was thinking a tie would have been nice as would tend to screw them both.  Then I remembered they changed the rules in college, no more ties.

Can't recall anymore who it was but do remember the one NFL player, think it was QB was shocked that games could end up in a tie.

1 hour ago, The Frankish Reich said:

And, after all, what's the matter with a tie? I mean, in regular season?

1970 Chargers notwithstanding, "no overtime" may incentivize teams to play for the win during regulation - things like more 2 point conversion attempts, more likely to go for it on 4th down rather than kicking a FG to tie it, etc. 

Been thinking this for a long time! Save overtime for the playoffs, when you have to have a winner. And then just make it an extra 15-minute period.

On 11/26/2023 at 5:34 PM, Billsfanatic8989 said:

In the regular season, the team that wins the toss will win with a TD. In the postseason, barring a 2 pt conversion, team B gets a chance at scoring a TD. 

Wait, is this really a rule? I never read anything about a TD and a 2-point PAT on the initial possession ending the game.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-overtime-rules/

"OVERTIME RULES FOR NFL POSTSEASON GAMES

Unlike regular season games, postseason games cannot end in a tie, so the overtime rules change slightly for the playoffs.

If the score is still tied at the end of an overtime period — or if the second team’s initial possession has not ended — the teams will play another overtime period. Play will continue regardless of how many overtime periods are needed for a winner to be determined.

There will be a two-minute intermission between each overtime period. There will not be a halftime intermission after the second period.

The captain who lost the first overtime coin toss will either choose to possess the ball or select which goal his team will defend, unless the team that won the coin toss deferred that choice.

Each team will have an opportunity to possess the ball in overtime.

Each team gets three timeouts during a half.

The same timing rules that apply at the end of the second and fourth regulation periods also apply at the end of a second or fourth overtime period.

If there is still no winner at the end of a fourth overtime period, there will be another coin toss, and play will continue until a winner is declared."

Edited by chongli

On 11/26/2023 at 5:41 PM, Buffarukus said:

Alot of teams lost to a simple coin flip and long fg. Now it takes more. Cant get mad josh and gabe had their shot and missed and of coarse our ever pourus defensive stand that every team easily marches through at end of games under McD

The ‘Prevent Defense’ which frequently prevents wins.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, chongli said:

Wait, is this really a rule? I never read anything about a TD and a 2-point PAT on the initial possession ending the game.

https://operations.nfl.com/the-rules/nfl-overtime-rules/

"OVERTIME RULES FOR NFL POSTSEASON GAMES

Unlike regular season games, postseason games cannot end in a tie, so the overtime rules change slightly for the playoffs.

If the score is still tied at the end of an overtime period — or if the second team’s initial possession has not ended — the teams will play another overtime period. Play will continue regardless of how many overtime periods are needed for a winner to be determined.

There will be a two-minute intermission between each overtime period. There will not be a halftime intermission after the second period.

The captain who lost the first overtime coin toss will either choose to possess the ball or select which goal his team will defend, unless the team that won the coin toss deferred that choice.

Each team will have an opportunity to possess the ball in overtime.

Each team gets three timeouts during a half.

The same timing rules that apply at the end of the second and fourth regulation periods also apply at the end of a second or fourth overtime period.

If there is still no winner at the end of a fourth overtime period, there will be another coin toss, and play will continue until a winner is declared."

You are correct. My bad on that. 

Only way a team does not get the ball second is if a defender intercepts it and fumbles it back to the offense. If the offense then scores a TD, game over.

• Thank you (+1) 1

I had a bit of a different approach to overtime. The loser of the coin toss picks a yard line. The winner then chooses to take the ball from that point or have the other team start from the corresponding yard line on their end of the field. No kick-off. No ties. First score wins.

The equilibrium point would be different for different teams based on which side of the ball they felt stronger about.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the rules are fine as they are.  I used to think they should play an entire quarter to the end, but I see why they don't.  These guys are exhausted by then.  It's not good football. The Bills had plenty of opportunities to win this game and failed.  OT rules is not why we lost.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 2

50 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

I had a bit of a different approach to overtime. The loser of the coin toss picks a yard line. The winner then chooses to take the ball from that point or have the other team start from the corresponding yard line on their end of the field. No kick-off. No ties. First score wins.

The equilibrium point would be different for different teams based on which side of the ball they felt stronger about.

Sort of like a push-out in pocket billiards after the break.

On 11/26/2023 at 7:18 PM, beebe said:

Yeah, stop it. 

10 hours ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

I hate both Ohio St and Michigan, so Saturday in the game was thinking a tie would have been nice as would tend to screw them both.  Then I remembered they changed the rules in college, no more ties.

Can't recall anymore who it was but do remember the one NFL player, think it was QB was shocked that games could end up in a tie.

I think it was Donovan McNabb, after Philly & the BenGals tied.

Hating tOSU & scUM.  Interesting.

Edited by DrBob806

1 hour ago, NoHuddleKelly12 said:

I think that’s just for playoff games? Getting to respond if a TD is scored first?

Correct. In the post-season, both teams get the ball in OT, even if the first team scores a TD on their opening drive. That change was prompted by the 13-second game.

https://www.nytimes.com/2022/03/29/sports/football/nfl-overtime-rules-playoffs.html

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/26/2023 at 8:18 PM, beebe said:

What classic game are you talking about?  Yikes.  

They have a clock so that if time expires, the game is a tie.

Overtime should be sudden death IMO.  With kickers making 50+ yard field goals almost routinely now, I like the FG on first possession rule.

Basically just because the Bills lost, and Josh has an abysmal OT record, it ain't broke so don't fix it.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.