Gabe Davis Miscommunication Plays this season

Virgil

I don’t know if this can be statistically looked up, but how many times this season has there been an incorrect route run, where Josh throws the ball to nowhere, and Gabe was the intended receiver.   

I don’t care about the 13 second game or how many yards and TD he has.  On this one topic, is it disproportionately Gabe Davis vs everyone else?  

It definitely feels that way 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 10
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I don’t know if this can be statistically looked up, but how many times this season has there been an incorrect route run, where Josh throws the ball to nowhere, and Gabe was the intended receiver.   

I don’t care about the 13 second game or how many yards and TD he has.  On this one topic, is it disproportionately Gabe Davis vs everyone else?  

At least once per game, except maybe last week when he didn't have a target.

Unreliable WR's are bad. Trent Sherfield and Gabe aren't it.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Yeah he is a dumb player, I don't know a more respectful way to say it.

If we had signed DeAndre Hopkins in the offseason I think we would have a minimum of 3 more wins right now. Brandon Beane completely failed his franchise's biggest investment.

Yeah because Allen never makes dumb plays. Pretty messed up to call a guy dumb when you have no idea who was at fault. Davis was wide open and the d back was playing inside. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 2
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

7 minutes ago, Virgil said:

Yeah despite today’s stat line, it’s been a recurring theme this year that throwing to Gabe results in something negative happening far too often. 

Not sure what the criteria is for McD’s doghouse but Davis can go ahead and find himself there any time now, please .

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

Just stop.  The WR has to make a call in route, and the QB has to make a call.  It could be either.

Yes, it could be on Josh.  But again, wouldn’t it be happening more with other receivers?  Why is it consistently Gabe on the other end?

• Like (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah because Allen never makes dumb plays. Pretty messed up to call a guy dumb when you have no idea who was at fault. Davis was wide open and the d back was playing inside. 

Davis was at fault, he knew it and even reacted to his own mistake on the sideline.  It’s also why so many players went to console him.  It’s not a question of who was on fault 

• Like (+1) 8
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

At least once per game, except maybe last week when he didn't have a target.

Unreliable WR's are bad. Trent Sherfield and Gabe aren't it.

They bubble over to TS was open he just didn’t know the play. The GD OT throw hard to say.. obviously not on same page

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

Just stop.  The WR has to make a call in route, and the QB has to make a call.  It could be either.

I have trouble seeing how Gabe is not to blame on that ot play specifically…if you beat your man quick like that you shouldn’t be running a corner route to bring the sideline into play 

not sure about any of the others though 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Say what you want about Gabes athletic talent.

But the corner was playing inside leverage on that last pass.  

All out blitz or not, he ran the correct route.  

Josh didn't have time to see the corner route was the correct read.  simple as that.

Thats not on Gabe though.  Perhaps we.could have ran a designed play, instead of option route, but that's hindsight.  Joe Brady did a very solid job

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Nitro said:

Diggs had a conversation with Davis at the end of the game.  Looks like he was telling him what he should have done instead of what he did.  They are making the same reads but they not on the same sheet.

I’m not sure he’s telling him he’s wrong .. but he and Josh were not on same page.

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Allen is the offense. Yeah he is going to make mistakes but the plays he makes are the only reason we do anything on offense. What is Gabe's excuse? He disappears for long stretches of games, and then when his number is called in crunch time he makes a game ending mistake.

And get outta here with questioning who's to blame. Romo said it all. We saw Diggs talking to Davis about it on the sidelines. We saw Davis slam his helmet down. Everybody knew he went the wrong way.

Enough is enough. Clean house and get some people in the building that understand how to build the team around Josh. We are wasting the best years of his career! It makes me sick.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 6
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I have trouble seeing how Gabe is not to blame on that ot play specifically…if you beat your man quick like that you shouldn’t be running a corner route to bring the sideline into play 

not sure about any of the others though 

The corner looked like it would give him more separation.  Hard to fault either guy there.  The defense had several opportunities to make stops to win in regulation and OT.  But nothing.

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Davis was at fault, he knew it and even reacted to his own mistake on the sideline.  It’s also why so many players went to console him.  It’s not a question of who was on fault 

Yeah, I guess I’ll wait for the Bills to say. Cb was inside and he was wide open. Allen got rushed and threw befofe the break.

but maybe you’re right. But it’s beyond idiotic to single out a wr who had 100 and td and not to mention a stupid int; Cook’s drop; McDermott being a coward, etc. 

25 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Yeah, I guess I’ll wait for the Bills to say. Cb was inside and he was wide open. Allen got rushed and threw befofe the break.

but maybe you’re right. But it’s beyond idiotic to single out a wr who had 100 and td and not to mention a stupid int; Cook’s drop; McDermott being a coward, etc. 

There’s plenty of blame to go around this game, for sure. 

But this isn’t a one time thing with Gabe. Every play in his direction is boom or bust, and how many times have the busts cost us to this point? 

Edited by Yobogoya!
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, MasterStrategist said:

Say what you want about Gabes athletic talent.

But the corner was playing inside leverage on that last pass.  

All out blitz or not, he ran the correct route.  

Josh didn't have time to see the corner route was the correct read.  simple as that.

Thats not on Gabe though.  Perhaps we.could have ran a designed play, instead of option route, but that's hindsight.  Joe Brady did a very solid job

Davis slammed his helmet on the sidelines because he knew he ran the wrong route.  Romo immediately pointed it out as well.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

We lost cuz of any of the following individual plays:

Cook dropped TD

Bass 2 missed FGs

Davis missed OT TD

Allens ill timed INT

Bonus:  Refs MANY MANY missed calls

You can really point to a number of single plays that cost us this game and quite possibly the season.  

Davis apparent blunder in OT was IMHO one of those reasons.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

We lost cuz of any of the following individual plays:

Cook dropped TD

Base 2 missed FGs

Davis missed OT TD

Allens ill timed INT

Bonus:  Refs MANY MANY missed calls

You can really point to a number of single plays that cost us this game and quite possibly the season.  

Davis blunder in OT was 100% one of those reasons though.  

This isn’t about why the Bills lost today.  Yes, that last play to Gabe was part of why they lost.  But it brings up the bigger issue to me of how many times it’s happened these past two seasons.  

Everything else you mentioned, I’m not talking about or bringing up here.  

• Like (+1) 1

Frankly I wish they'd stop doing any choice routes with Davis. Allen and him don't see the game the same way and it costs them far too often with picks, "intentional groundings," and now a surefire touchdown. It's very easy

Gabe should of been able to see that there was no one over the middle and taken the space as he did against KC multiple times. Instead he chose to actively make it a tougher throw for Josh by going to the pylon which meant he'd have to float it over the DB.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Davis slammed his helmet on the sidelines because he knew he ran the wrong route.  Romo immediately pointed it out as well.

I just think Gabe was frustrated, hence helmet slam.  

Cb had inside leverage, if he runs that route to the post (like many are saying), then that might have been picked off or incomplete.

Bottom line is Gabe wasn't getting to the post.  Eagles have seen us do that already too many times on tape.  There's a reason Gabe, who isn't the most gifted route runner or super athletic, won that corner route easily. Josh just didn't see it/have the time with pressure in his face.

Sometimes "option" routes are great/other times this is what happens.  

• Dislike 1

34 minutes ago, Virgil said:

it was a corner route on a beaten Defender.  It wasn't thrown to the corner.......

21 minutes ago, motorj said:

How Kincaid isn't targeted in these spots in place of Gabe is maddening

h's not targeted downfield.

2 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

it was a corner route on a beaten Defender.  It wasn't thrown to the corner.......

And you might be right.  But I’m asking why Davis seems to always be the player involved in these miscommunication plays?

• Agree 1

I cant get over that he didn't realize that there was all out pressure.  It was as obvious as it gets.  They didn't hide it, they showed it and brought it and it should have gotten them beat.

Its simply incredible that he screwed up such a simple thing with all the time he has in the nfl.  Inexcusable.  

it was a gimmie game winning TD and he didn't understand the situation.

• Like (+1) 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.