is there a HC out there worth going after?

dbfla10

Is the risk reward of firing McDermott worth it? I don't see a coach out there that is worth the risk of firing McDermott. At the very least he has made the Bills relevant the last 5/6 years. Something the city was craving/needed.

Who is out there that would truly make a difference as HC.

IMO theres only 1 coach, and thats a trade with the rams for McVay.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, dbfla10 said:

Is the risk reward of firing McDermott worth it? I don't see a coach out there that is worth the risk of firing McDermott. At the very least he has made the Bills relevant the last 5/6 years. Something the city was craving/needed.

IF we do replace McDermott with an offensive minded coach am curious who they add to the defensive to run a defense that could be without 2 of it's starting safeties from this year, possibly a starting CB and two of the best pass rushers in AJE and Floyd. Toss in imagine they'd have to find a starting caliber LB if we run a traditional 4-3. 

7 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

Did you know Sean McVays qualifications to be a HC before the rams hired him at 34 years old? Did you know who Nick Siriani or Zac Taylor were before they were hired.  I ask because I did not.  I think it is silly to think fan knowledge is a meaningful factor in assessing risk

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

At the very least he has made the Bills relevant the last 5/6 years. Something the city was craving/needed.

I thought we were past the stage where we were happy merely to be thought of as an actual NFL team.  We're supposed to be hoping for a superbowl victory, no?

Edited by Dan Darragh
  • Thank you (+1) 3

6 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Did you know Sean McVays qualifications to be a HC before the rams hired him at 34 years old? Did you know who Nick Siriani or Zac Taylor were before they were hired.  I ask because I did not.  I think it is silly to think fan knowledge is a meaningful factor in assessing risk

I think asking the question is a fun exercise and good discussion. I'm interested if anyone brings up any unknown names.

But I agree, asking the question to refute the idea of firing the coach is not a good argument since us commoners dont have all the information the owner and his consultants have.

That said, Head Coach is a tough one. Not many decent candidates out there as it seems the NFL has stripped the Shanahan/McVay tree of everyone serviceable over the last 5 years.

When Eric Bienemy is the best known name out there, that's tough.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I’m sure there’s coaches out there that are the second winningest coach of the franchise and are just waiting to get scooped up by the bills

Oh wait

Come on John. Everything can run it’s course… McDermott and his tenure have done just that. Season’s fizzle out in an underwhelming fashion under this guy. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

I have a small list in my head of coaches that I would be interested in. Some first time coaches (like Ben Johnson) some that maybe should see a second chance that would be I feel very unpopular (like Matt Nagy).

In any event, it's a moot point as I don't get to interview them and see what their vision is.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I think asking the question is a fun exercise and good discussion. I'm interested if anyone brings up any unknown names.

But I agree, asking the question to refute the idea of firing the coach is not a good argument since us commoners dont have all the information the owner and his consultants have.

That said, Head Coach is a tough one. Not many decent candidates out there as it seems the NFL has stripped the Shanahan/McVay tree of everyone serviceable over the last 5 years.

When Eric Bienemy is the best known name out there, that's tough.

There’s a reason the guy has never been hired and forced his way into a very similar position in Washington. Have to believe he takes the reigns there whenever they decide to can Rivera. 

Given the overhaul of their “core” players on deadline day, the new owners are willing to move on from under-performers. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Come on John. Everything can run it’s course… McDermott and his tenure have done just that. Season’s fizzle out in an underwhelming fashion under this guy. 

Go ahead and find out what happenes

People that are crying for McDermott firing. Deserve exactly what they get whenever the next guy that they bring in fizzles it doesn’t bring them near the production.

• Eyeroll 1

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Go ahead and find out what happenes

People that are crying for McDermott firing. Deserve exactly what they get whenever the next guy that they bring in fizzles it doesn’t bring them near the production.

I get it, I do. McDermott has done a great job rebuilding this franchise from where it was but that’s also down to a QB and new ownership wiling to spend the money. You could do just as good, if not better with a replacement. 

Sure you’ll say you could do worse but a change is inevitable if not needed. 

1 minute ago, BBFL said:

I get it, I do. McDermott has done a great job rebuilding this franchise from where it was but that’s also down to a QB and new ownership wiling to spend the money. You could do just as good, if not better with a replacement. 

Sure you’ll say you could do worse but a change is inevitable if not needed. 

Good, if not better with the replacement

You absolutely don’t know that

• Eyeroll 1

Not for HC but RGIII proposed this idea on twitter 

Orlovsky later admitted on Pat McAffee show that he is open to the idea of being an OC.   Honestly I'd be all for giving the guy a shot.   His video analysis is pretty good.   

I'm also interest in Ben Johnson or Bobby Slowik.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Just now, John from Riverside said:

Good, if not better with the replacement

You absolutely don’t know that

But we do know that McD will NEVER get us to the promised land, and has already lost the locker room.

In this case, the unknown is better than the known.

This is where we are as a contender. Have to make scarier decisions when you are a good team that wants to be great. Need to be able to make the tough moves in order to hit the next level.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

But we do know that McD will NEVER get us to the promised land, and has already lost the locker room.

In this case, the unknown is better than the known.

This is where we are as a contender. Have to make scarier decisions when you are a good team that wants to be great. Need to be able to make the tough moves in order to hit the next level.

This is your feelings talking to you. You have absolutely no way of knowing if he lost the locker room and can’t get us where we need to go.

• Vomit 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

image.thumb.jpeg.0e85bfd9f4ce45b452bb194a365caf61.jpeg
Ryan Dinwiddie, CFL Toronto Argos.

1.  We can call him 'Dimwit Dinwiddie' when he screws up.

2. Can insert an element of surprise by punting on 3rd downs.

3. Probably will work cheap.  Get him a hotel room at the Econolodge and a meal card for Outback Steakhouse and he'll think he's won the lottery.

😁

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Dislike 1

1 minute ago, Lost said:

Orlovsky later admitted on Pat McAffee show that he is open to the idea of being an OC.   Honestly I'd be all for giving the guy a shot.   His video analysis is pretty good.   

If Orlovsky was serious, I wouldnt be against giving him a shot. Although I'd prefer under a new HC.

I'd just be shocked if Dan is serious about giving up his cushy commentating job, and time with his young family, to take a miserable coordinating job.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

28 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

Your low standards are showing.  Some of us are not satisfied with "being relevant" and I damn sure hope Beane and Pegula aren't either.  McDermott has proven that he can't get it done.  And of course, hiring a current NFL HC is far from the only option.  This year alone at least two teams have hit homeruns by hiring young up-and-coming coordinators.  At the end of the season, the Bills will have their pick of potential new head coaches...it's not often a vacancy comes along complete with a certified franchise QB.  

1 minute ago, John from Riverside said:

This is your feelings talking to you. You have absolutely no way of knowing if he lost the locker room and can’t get us where we need to go.

Bro, wake up and open your eyes. There's no feelings involved in my comments. He's done.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, BillsFan130 said:

My wish list in this order:

1. Jim harbaugh

2. Ben johnson

3. Kellen Moore.

I know they are all gambles, but I want an offensive guy with big upside 

I would add Eagles OC Brian Johnson as well. That Eagles O is pretty good. We will have the Buffalo Tush Push.

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Lost said:

I’d like to see Orvlosky in something other than an analyst role before becoming a full blown OC. Think the Kellen Moore route 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Obviously, he is not done. He will be coaching this next week.

They just gave him a brand new contract he’s not going anywhere

Depends. If this season continues to go down the toilet. If players voice their displeasure, you know Beane and Pegula will know about it. As far as McDermott's new contract goes. That is pocket money to Terry. That won't stop him from firing him especially if he has lost the locker room.

Just now, Gregg said:

Depends. If this season continues to go down the toilet. If players voice their displeasure, you know Beane and Pegula will know about it. As far as McDermott's new contract goes. That is pocket money to Terry. That won't stop him from firing him especially if he has lost the locker room.

He has not lost the locker room

His defense is playing some of the best ball. The bills have seen for quite a while, and that is missing some very high profile players.

Offensively how do we know that wasn’t the OC?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2

I dont know.  It isnt my job to vet them.  I want to hesitate to just blurt out known names.  

What I do want:

An offensive oriented coach - that way you get a team offensive-oriented and you dont need to lose OCs every few years when your offense achieves what it should

Innovative - someone out of the lines of what we see out of the "Shanahan tree".  They can look at a unicorn like Josh Allen and essentially make him unstappable.

Attention to detail - We cannot have these crazy shortcomings happen that we have beaten to death on the forum (we all know the list).  Maybe have a special department that covers contingencies and every situation that may occur (and can tell them to not do things like challenge a 75/25 8 yard catch when timeouts are crucial)

Process and Player-oriented - dont want a loudmouth bully.  I like how our players feel valued here and it is something that has set the Bills ahead of a lot of peers.  McDermott does seem to fit a good balance of being liked and respected by his players.

Open to adaptation and change - the team and league will change over the years, may have to change styles or re-think strategies.

NFL Experience - to some degree.  Coaches right out of college often have difficulty adapting from being a king to dealing with mega-millionaire adult men

Pegula (and Id assume Beane) should interview many candidates and score them in these categories.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.