is there a HC out there worth going after?

dbfla10

3 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

I’d like to see Orvlosky in something other than an analyst role before becoming a full blown OC. Think the Kellen Moore route 

Because I need to compete with the best in the NFL.

Not educate Chris Brown and Steve Tasker in the studio. 

This is where you fire McDermott, and then conduct a real search for Head Coach. 

The Bills won't do that, so all you can hope is that they cast a net for an Offensive Coordinator and drop this Beane-led model of continuity. 

The goal is to win a Championship, and we still have people talking about culture. 

The Bills culture right now is choking. 

41 minutes ago, Heels20X6 said:

Honestly, if Washington doesn't promote him, the right man for the job is Eric Bienemy.  He's from the Reid coaching tree but he's offensively minded.  He can find a decent DC and go from there.

My first response to this was to give you the vomit emoji.  But then I thought about it for a few minutes and this is not such a bad idea.  Importantly Bienemy is an offensively minded coach and that alone would be an upgrade over McD. Second, he's gotten more out of Sam Howell then most coaches would get.  Imagine what he could do with Allen.

Do I think the Bills could do better then Bienemy?  Absolutely.  But I would bring him in for a serious interview.  The job he's done with Howell makes this guy an intriguing possibility.

• Vomit 1

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

He has not lost the locker room

His defense is playing some of the best ball. The bills have seen for quite a while, and that is missing some very high profile players.

Offensively how do we know that wasn’t the OC?

Fair point on the locker room as the D is playing hard. But something has to change. They look unorganized out there in critical moments. Take the Giants game for example. If the Giants score right before halftime or even at the end of the game, then that goes down as the worst loss of the season. The Bucs game with the hail mary. I think it was Evans but if he looks up a second earlier then there is a good chance, he catches it. He was open in the end zone on hail mary. Then you have the playoff losses overall and being winless on the road in the playoffs, 13 seconds. Something has to change. The biggest thing here is Allen's play is declining. The most important player on the team and face of the franchise is declining. If Brady can't turn Allen around, then what???

Just now, Gregg said:

Fair point on the locker room as the D is playing hard. But something has to change. They look unorganized out there in critical moments. Take the Giants game for example. If the Giants score right before halftime or even at the end of the game, then that goes down as the worst loss of the season. The Bucs game with the hail mary. I think it was Evans but if he looks up a second earlier then there is a good chance, he catches it. He was open in the end zone on hail mary. Then you have the playoff losses overall and being winless on the road in the playoffs, 13 seconds. Something has to change. The biggest thing here is Allen's play is declining. The most important player on the team and face of the franchise is declining. If Brady can't turn Allen around, then what???

Personally, I think McDermott is just getting stretched too thin love his defense, but he also has head coach responsibilities

We have some young guys on this coaching staff that I would really like to see get a crack after this year on the defensive side

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

32 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Go ahead and find out what happenes

People that are crying for McDermott firing. Deserve exactly what they get whenever the next guy that they bring in fizzles it doesn’t bring them near the production.

Production of 5-5? .500 football?

Just now, FireChans said:

Production of 5-5? .500 football?

So I know this is a crazy thought

Coaching staffs don’t have an upward trajectory every year it’s not linear there are reasons why this team is suffering a bit now and a lot of it has to do with a ton of our salary cap on the injured reserve

As long as you have a franchise quarterback, you always have a chance

• Like (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, Chaos said:

Did you know Sean McVays qualifications to be a HC before the rams hired him at 34 years old? Did you know who Nick Siriani or Zac Taylor were before they were hired.  I ask because I did not.  I think it is silly to think fan knowledge is a meaningful factor in assessing risk

Lacking the qualifications or information to assess risk does not mean it doesn't exist. A lot fans knee jerk reaction this week is to want to replace McDermott without considering there is any risk involved. For every McVay, Taylor and Siriani there are dozens of one and done HCs. I find the premise that changing HCs next year is an automatic improvement highly flawed.

• Thank you (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

So I know this is a crazy thought

Coaching staffs don’t have an upward trajectory every year it’s not linear there are reasons why this team is suffering a bit now and a lot of it has to do with a ton of our salary cap on the injured reserve

As long as you have a franchise quarterback, you always have a chance

Exactly. Which basically means your point about McD doesn’t matter lol. We always have a chance with Josh and we have a better chance with a coach that can coach Josh

• Agree 2

2 minutes ago, Ballhawk said:

Lacking the qualifications or information to assess risk does not mean it doesn't exist. A lot fans knee jerk reaction this week is to want to replace McDermott without considering there is any risk involved. For every McVay, Taylor and Siriani there are dozens of one and done HCs. I find the premise that changing HCs next year is an automatic improvement highly flawed.

He has been here 7 years I wouldn't call the fans reaction to McDermott "knee jerk".

• Agree 2

I'm sure it's been at least mentioned before, but if there was any remote possibility of landing Sean McVay it'd be the perfect fit IMO for several reasons:

1) Proven offensive mind with a solid coaching tree already active in NFL (i.e. Zac Taylor)

2) 2 SB appearances and one championship

3) Aggressive, not afraid to go all in which he and Les Sneed did 2 years ago mortgaging their future to win a championship.

Obviously for this to a real option he'd either have to be fired by the Rams or traded since he's currently under long term contract.

44 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I think asking the question is a fun exercise and good discussion. I'm interested if anyone brings up any unknown names.

But I agree, asking the question to refute the idea of firing the coach is not a good argument since us commoners dont have all the information the owner and his consultants have.

That said, Head Coach is a tough one. Not many decent candidates out there as it seems the NFL has stripped the Shanahan/McVay tree of everyone serviceable over the last 5 years.

When Eric Bienemy is the best known name out there, that's tough.

When the "fire McD" topic came up after 13 seconds, I mused if the Bills were in a similar situation that Denver was in with John Elway and Dan Reeves.

Reeves was a great coach, but couldn't get over the hump. Reeves fired his OC as a scapegoat, and when they canned Reeves, they brought back his fired OC to replace Reeves... The rest is history. 

The only guy I saw available at the time who could potentially be an offensive mind to take the Bills further than McD was Doug Pederson. And I think the job he's doing with Jax is proof that he's a solid offensive minded head coach.

With that said, I'd rather have Daboll as HC than McD. Would rather spend assets to build the offense around Josh over the next 3-5 seasons than expend so much capital on a McDermott defense that has never played consistently at a championship level. 

I also like the idea of bringing in Ben Johnson and giving Josh all the advantages that are being afforded to Jared Goff. That is to say, designing and offense that makes it easy on the QB. That leverages play design to scheme guys open instead of relying on a read and react / option route approach. 

I also hope we can get a top 5 wr in this upcoming draft. Someone that has that true #1 potential in all aspects of his game... 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

56 minutes ago, dbfla10 said:

Is the risk reward of firing McDermott worth it? I don't see a coach out there that is worth the risk of firing McDermott. At the very least he has made the Bills relevant the last 5/6 years. Something the city was craving/needed.

Who is out there that would truly make a difference as HC.

IMO theres only 1 coach, and thats a trade with the rams for McVay.

Although I’d love to trade for Andy Reid or Mike Mcdaniel (outside of maybe swinging a deal for Daboll) it’s not going to happen and we’re going to have to get someone in college or who is an OC now. 

The guy has to be an offensive coach because we can’t keep losing our offensive coordinators every couple years. I love Brian Flores and Lou Anarumo but it just can’t be another defensive guy running the show, sorry.

Also, we can’t act like we don’t have the most attractive Head Coaching position available. Any potential HC would be dying to have Josh Allen as their starting QB so we can be picky. 

To me outside of realistically trading for Daboll the only 2 guys I’m willing to give the keys to a Super Bowl title to are:

#1 by far - Jim Harbaugh - He’s a proven winner everywhere he goes. He’s gotten Kap to a SB. He’s made the erratic JJ McCarthy into a top 10 QB in this class. He always has an an amazing offensive and Defensive line. He’s not as prickly in his old age and hey he may bring over some good college scouts to help Beane and company with the draft since it seems like he has some of the best people on the sideline viewing these games lol

#2 - Ben Johnson - He is very creative and always schemes someone open. Jared Goff went from an up/down nightmare to count on to now being the most composed QBs in the league. And he’s got some of that Dan Campbell passion I think the Bills would eat up.

are there other options? Sure but none that I want or think we need to pursue. Now let’s make it happen and I’m sure a great D coordinator will come our way as well and if not right away it doesn’t matter because we’ll be putting up 30+ points every week anyways 

• Agree 1

42 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.0e85bfd9f4ce45b452bb194a365caf61.jpeg
Ryan Dinwiddie, CFL Toronto Argos.

1.  We can call him 'Dimwit Dinwiddie' when he screws up.

2. Can insert an element of surprise by punting on 3rd downs.

3. Probably will work cheap.  Get him a hotel room at the Econolodge and a meal card for Outback Steakhouse and he'll think he's won the lottery.

😁

He might prefer The Keg though eh? 😀

• Haha (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ballhawk said:

And Bengals fans want to run Taylor out of town on a rail. They complain about vanilla playcalling and being too reliant on Burrow and Chase to make plays. They complain about players never being schemed open. But they know that nothing will ever be done on that front because he made a Superbowl via a couple of lucky bounces in 2021 and Mike Brown kept Marvin Lewis for 15 years even though he never won a single playoff game. I'm saying that the Bills should keep McDermott (I think that he's lost the locker room and needs to go). I'm just pointing out that the grass is not always greener.

3 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

I'm sure it's been at least mentioned before, but if there was any remote possibility of landing Sean McVay it'd be the perfect fit IMO for several reasons:

1) Proven offensive mind with a solid coaching tree already active in NFL (i.e. Zac Taylor)

2) 2 SB appearances and one championship

3) Aggressive, not afraid to go all in which he and Les Sneed did 2 years ago mortgaging their future to win a championship.

Obviously for this to a real option he'd either have to be fired by the Rams or traded since he's currently under long term contract.

Yeah.......he ain't leaving Hollywood for another coaching job. 

mcvay-1.jpg

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Trading for Daboll is:
1. A poor use of draft picks. This team needs draft picks to get younger, cost-controlled talent. 
2. Going backwards. This team needs a new chapter, not re-opening an old one that also wasn't good enough. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

38 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

People that are crying for McDermott firing. Deserve exactly what they get whenever the next guy that they bring in fizzles it doesn’t bring them near the production.

35 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Good, if not better with the replacement

You absolutely don’t know that

31 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

This is your feelings talking to you. You have absolutely no way of knowing if he lost the locker room and can’t get us where we need to go.

26 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Obviously, he is not done. He will be coaching this next week.

They just gave him a brand new contract he’s not going anywhere

18 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

He has not lost the locker room

His defense is playing some of the best ball. The bills have seen for quite a while, and that is missing some very high profile players.

Offensively how do we know that wasn’t the OC?

John...

I would point out that your thoughts on this are just as much conjecture as anyone else.

Someone says he lost the locker room. You say he didn't. NEITHER are objective facts based on what we know. Their opinions are not just simply inferior to yours, and they carry an EQUAL amount of speculation.

There is evidence that McD stays (the contract extension) and evidence he could get fired (natural progression often after these types of seasons). But no "proof". 

You speak with an authoritative tone as if what you are saying is objective truth (and of course you might be right!), though it's just as likely that the opposing view is true.

Anyway...

Personally I don't like managent by fear, running a business on fear, or a sports team on fear for that matter.

With the trajectory this bills team has taken in recent years, and if it doesn't turn around this year, it's tantamount to fear to not move on from McDermott. I get it, the devil you know...

But you can't be scared that the next guy will be worse. If you identify a problem, it's your responsibility to TRY and fix it, even if it doesn't work. There ARE other great coaches and with Josh you can actually attract a good one. This isn't buddy nix trying to convince us everyone wants the job anymore, it's we have a franchise QB and one of the most attractive openings in the NFL if vacated.

We can't be paralyzed by fear of losing McD. The only fear is losing Josh. And that seems like it might be starting to happen. So natural progression is change had to happen. And maybe it already did 🤷🏻‍♂️ maybe Dorsey was THE problem and now we're good. 

But we have the rest of the season to see. The weight lies squarely on McDermott's shoulders right now. He surely sees the dysfunction and is trying to right the ship. There's still time for him to save it, save himself, save Josh, save the season. But times running out.

And that's my $.08 (inflation🤷🏻‍♂️)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

If they fire McDermott I’d try to get Belichick in here and bring Daboll back as the OC. 

5 minutes ago, MPL said:

Trading for Daboll is:
1. A poor use of draft picks. This team needs draft picks to get younger, cost-controlled talent. 
2. Going backwards. This team needs a new chapter, not re-opening an old one that also wasn't good enough. 

I don’t think Daboll would require a trade once the Giants fire him. 

Wouldn’t mind Kingsbury as an OC. Have to bring in someone with experience after the Dorsey debacle. 

• Vomit 1

1 hour ago, Araiza Curse said:

Jim Harbaugh or Ben Johnson 

I would give Harbaugh about the same welcome I’d give Rex if he came back. No thank you. His schtick grows old fast, and there’s always about as much talk about his next stop as his current job. 

We all keep hearing Ben Johnson, but it’s a big leap from OC to HC. No slam dunk there. 

Whatever they do, I won’t be fretting over it too much. These are things that are beyond our control so it’s not worth getting too emotionally involved or upset about it. 

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Yeah.......he ain't leaving Hollywood for another coaching job. 

mcvay-1.jpg

You're probably right about that part, especially to come to an area like Western NY.

But obviously money talks and Josh Allen is still going to be the reason you'll see many coaches lining up and begging for interviews in Buffalo once McD is relieved of his duties compared to the drought years when it was the opposite in terms of trying to attract anyone to coach here.

7 minutes ago, Motorin' said:

When the "fire McD" topic came up after 13 seconds, I mused if the Bills were in a similar situation that Denver was in with John Elway and Dan Reeves.

Reeves was a great coach, but couldn't get over the hump. Reeves fired his OC as a scapegoat, and when they canned Reeves, they brought back his fired OC to replace Reeves... The rest is history. 

The only guy I saw available at the time who could potentially be an offensive mind to take the Bills further than McD was Doug Pederson. And I think the job he's doing with Jax is proof that he's a solid offensive minded head coach.

With that said, I'd rather have Daboll as HC than McD. Would rather spend assets to build the offense around Josh over the next 3-5 seasons than expend so much capital on a McDermott defense that has never played consistently at a championship level. 

I also like the idea of bringing in Ben Johnson and giving Josh all the advantages that are being afforded to Jared Goff. That is to say, designing and offense that makes it easy on the QB. That leverages play design to scheme guys open instead of relying on a read and react / option route approach. 

I also hope we can get a top 5 wr in this upcoming draft. Someone that has that true #1 potential in all aspects of his game... 

I wouldn't use the Shanahan comparison with Daboll......first off, to correct you, Wade Phillips replaced Reeves and Shanahan was more than available at the time.........so it's not that they just concluded it was Reeves who should have been canned, not Shanny.

When Shanahan eventually replaced Phillips he had just won the SB as the OC of the Niners.  He was the hottest commodity in the sport.

Daboll is extremely cold product..........he is proving just how bad he can be as a HC in NYG.   The floor is the basement with that guy at the helm and it would be highly, and unnecessarily risky for an organization like the Bills to settle for that level of coach when you have a QB in his prime. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DrDawkinstein said:

If Orlovsky was serious, I wouldnt be against giving him a shot. Although I'd prefer under a new HC.

I'd just be shocked if Dan is serious about giving up his cushy commentating job, and time with his young family, to take a miserable coordinating job.

I caught the segment on Pats show yesterday and he specifically said that he would be interested in coaching, but not until his kids get a little bit older, fwiw. 

He referenced the cushy job in Bristol as well. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, FilthyBeast said:

You're probably right about that part, especially to come to an area like Western NY.

But obviously money talks and Josh Allen is still going to be the reason you'll see many coaches lining up and begging for interviews in Buffalo once McD is relieved of his duties compared to the drought years when it was the opposite in terms of trying to attract anyone to coach here.

True........they should have some good options if they choose to change HC's.

I will also add a "probably" to my point about leaving LA.   Things can happen.   I am critical of such absolutes...........but I do think he will retire and go into broadcasting before he leaves the comforts of LA for a coaching job.   There was speculation he might quit coaching entirely after he won the SB.    

1 hour ago, Heels20X6 said:

Honestly, if Washington doesn't promote him, the right man for the job is Eric Bienemy.  He's from the Reid coaching tree but he's offensively minded.  He can find a decent DC and go from there.

mcd is from the reid tree too

3 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

True........they should have some good options if they choose to change HC's.

I will also add a "probably" to my point about leaving LA.   Things can happen.   I am critical of such absolutes...........but I do think he will retire and go into broadcasting before he leaves the comforts of LA for a coaching job.   There was speculation he might quit coaching entirely after he won the SB.    

I'm not a fan of absolutes either, but I will say there is NO WAY McVay would come to Buffalo. He'd just retire from coaching, stay in LA, and take $20M/year as a broadcaster.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, John from Riverside said:

A defensive head coach, besides Belicheck, who's defense was awful and had Brady, hasn't won an SB since 2016, and even that was an outlier, with Manning. This coach is 30 years behind the times and his game day management is not existent. You're This boards Mcd, your posting not to lose, you're OK with average, all while we have the most talented QB our fan base will ever see

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

I wouldn't use the Shanahan comparison with Daboll......first off, to correct you, Wade Phillips replaced Reeves and Shanahan was more than available at the time.........so it's not that they just concluded it was Reeves who should have been canned, not Shanny.

When Shanahan eventually replaced Phillips he had just won the SB as the OC of the Niners.  He was the hottest commodity in the sport.

Daboll is extremely cold product..........he is proving just how bad he can be as a HC in NYG.   The floor is the basement with that guy at the helm and it would be highly, and unnecessarily risky for an organization like the Bills to settle for that level of coach when you have a QB in his prime. 

i'd love to throw money at daboll as OC.

i'd love a perfect world to get phillips 35-40 years younger as DC. schwartz as lb coach, lebeau as db coach while we are at it.

but in a realistic world. talk to Daboll. offer him the OC gig and ask his input on HC

1 hour ago, dbfla10 said:

Is the risk reward of firing McDermott worth it? I don't see a coach out there that is worth the risk of firing McDermott. At the very least he has made the Bills relevant the last 5/6 years. Something the city was craving/needed.

wow, that's a super high bar

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloRebound said:

Vrabel.  His teams are tough nosed and built to play in Buffalo.  He’s won with far worse QB’s than Josh and I think he’s a great fit for the fanbase and for Josh.  

Are the Titans letting him go?

Also, we need an Offensive Minded HC. We need to protect our best asset, no more constant changes on offense.

1 hour ago, Charles Romes said:

Ben Johnson 

agreed.  But I think the OP is asking if there is a HC (or perhaps former HC) worth going after?  

I'd also look at Eric B from Washington, and the OC of Houston, and Kellen Moore from the Chargers (not his fault they don't have a D).  

• Vomit 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

I have a small list in my head of coaches that I would be interested in. Some first time coaches (like Ben Johnson) some that maybe should see a second chance that would be I feel very unpopular (like Matt Nagy).

In any event, it's a moot point as I don't get to interview them and see what their vision is.

No to Matt Nagy, I'd rather keep McDermott for a lifetime before you hire him

• Disagree 1

1 hour ago, dbfla10 said:

McVay moving from LA to Buffalo?

hahahahahahahahahaha

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.