Do you want Sean McDermott to be the head coach of the 2024 Buffalo Bills?

Logic

Simple Question: Do you want Sean McDermott to be the head coach of the 2024 Buffalo Bills?  

549 members have voted

1. 1. On opening day 2024, do you want Sean McDermott to be the head coach of the Buffalo Bills?

• Yes
    • No

On 11/14/2023 at 12:12 PM, NeverOutNick said:

Thank you! Just let Al Holcomb run the show the rest of this season and throw the kitchen sink at Jim Harbaugh in the off-season. Dude won with Kaepernick and is killing it with another talented yet erratic QB in JJ McCarthy at Michigan. He builds through the trenches and is a proven winner that won’t butcher in game management.

Harbaugh? ABSOLUTELY NOT! 

• Shocked 1

2 minutes ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

He also runs an offense that would totally clip all the  progress Allen has made as a passer. 

But if he wins with Allen and we go to and win a Super Bowl then it will be all worth it. It will be interesting to see what Terry does if the season ends in disappointment. For all we know he could give McDermott the 2024 season to fix things. So, who knows if we are getting a new HC anytime soon.

3 minutes ago, Gregg said:

But if he wins with Allen and we go to and win a Super Bowl then it will be all worth it. It will be interesting to see what Terry does if the season ends in disappointment. For all we know he could give McDermott the 2024 season to fix things. So, who knows if we are getting a new HC anytime soon.

I think Harbaugh is a great coach. But can see this blowing up big time. Diggs would hate him. Allen would hate the offense he runs. 

besides, I think he goes to Chicago.

• Like (+1) 1

McDermott in his presser said he wants to see Josh get back to having fun like he did earlier in his career and at Wyoming.  He wants to see that "look" in his eyes.

Hey Sean, how about you loosen up a little and have some fun?!?  Maybe YOU could create a better environment in the room and not be such a tight ass all the time. 

That may have been the most honest thing he's ever said at a press conference. 

Maybe McD could show some humor once in a while or attempt to crack a joke.  I know it would be hard.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Gregg said:

Not only did Harbaugh have a good run with the 49ers but he obviously knows the college game. Could be helpful to Beane at draft time.

Having been successful in SF, why were the 49ers so glad ro get rid of him? And more recently, he's shown the be Belicheat II. 

Character does matter and he is devoid of any semblance of having positive one.

33 minutes ago, zow2 said:

McDermott in his presser said he wants to see Josh get back to having fun like he did earlier in his career and at Wyoming.  He wants to see that "look" in his eyes.

Hey Sean, how about you loosen up a little and have some fun?!?  Maybe YOU could create a better environment in the room and not be such a tight ass all the time. 

That may have been the most honest thing he's ever said at a press conference. 

Maybe McD could show some humor once in a while or attempt to crack a joke.  I know it would be hard.

Yes, because we all know the biggest factor for coaching success is entertaining PC's!

Does it count if I didn't want him in the first place?

4 hours ago, kkim0904 said:

I am very few who said "yes".  He bailed out 18 year playoff draught.  Give him at least one more year.  Our current problem is josh and offense.

He intentionally started Nathan Peterman that season. He didn't bail out crap. 

Edited by That's No Moon

The responses in the poll are a great indicator of the mentality of active posters in this forum. 

Firing a coach isn't a solution. Finding a better one is. Got that name handy?

So rather than the knee-jerk 'fire McDermott' cries, who would you gamble on to be the coach to start all over with? Do we hope McDermott gets canned and the next great coach is there, just waiting to come to Buffalo? Let's start over and hope that before Josh turns 35 we can get to the promised land.

Sure, let's, go back to the revolving door of mediocrity when the optimism of the annual draft was our favorite time of the year.

McDermott has the best winning percentage in team history. 5 out of 6 seasons with a winning record - 4 consecutive double digit win seasons. He's had to adjust to devastating injuries to key players, the departure of a top OC, dubious draft choices (Elam). The team is .500. It's not at 2-8! They're within striking distance of the division lead with 7 games remaining.

We didn't make it to the super bowl. Waaahhhhh! Neither did 25 other teams since McDermott came on board. Should all those coaches be fired?

Sure, fire McDermott. Maybe they won't have to if he gets tired of the chronic complainers and decides of his own volition that he's had enough of the whiney mafia fan base. 

Be careful what you wish for.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, SoMAn said:

The responses in the poll are a great indicator of the mentality of active posters in this forum. 

So rather than the knee-jerk 'fire McDermott' cries, who would you gamble on to be the coach to start all over with? Do we hope McDermott gets canned and the next great coach is there, just waiting to come to Buffalo? Let's start over and hope that before Josh turns 35 we can get to the promised land.

Sure, let's, go back to the revolving door of mediocrity when the optimism of the annual draft was our favorite time of the year.

McDermott has the best winning percentage in team history. 5 out of 6 seasons with a winning record - 4 consecutive double digit win seasons. He's had to adjust to devastating injuries to key players, the departure of a top OC, dubious draft choices (Elam). The team is .500. It's not at 2-8! They're within striking distance of the division lead with 7 games remaining.

We didn't make it to the super bowl. Waaahhhhh! Neither did 25 other teams since McDermott came on board. Should all those coaches be fired?

Sure, fire McDermott. Maybe they won't have to if he gets tired of the chronic complainers and decides of his own volition that he's had enough of the whiney mafia fan base. 

Well, I'm sort of in your camp, but certainly less enthusiastically.   I love his past, but his past is irrelevant if your evaluation of McDermott is that his personal style and his vision of organization success just don't and can't deliver ultimate success.   If you actually believed that, and there are many people on this forum who believe, then sticking with McDermott is a mistake, regardless of his history.   If you believe his relationship with Allen, in particular, has soured for some reason, well McDermott probably has to go.  

So, I can see scenarios that are fairly realistic but not public knowledge that would make me decide he should go.   

But as I've said elsewhere, the question is what leadership is most likely to get this team from here to a Lombardi?  And the answer to that may very well be McDermott and Beane, because we know that they can at least build a team that is a consistent playoff team, which is the first step to winning the Lombardi.  A hotshot coordinator may look like the guy, but he's never done it before.  It's difficult to find the right guy.  And there's continuity.  They've been running the team for the past two years with the next three in mind.  They've set up the roster in terms of age with a plan for how they will transition into a new collection of players, including new leadership.  That's a huge head start over a newcomer coming.  

So, for me, there has to be a really good reason to move from those guys.   The Pegulas hurried them to be long-term successes in Buffalo, and they haven't yet shown that they can't be.   What they've shown is they haven't done it yet.  

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Fear is a terrible thing. So lets stay stagnant because we are afraid of something that isn't going to  happen period.

I don’t see a downside to firing McD. The floor for any Josh led team is probably 7 games no matter who the coach is. We’re 2 games worse with McD right now. He makes us a few games worse each season due to blowing huge leads all the time. It’s time to find a coach that at least won’t hurt us.

Edited by Governor
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, SoMAn said:

McDermott clearly disagrees w you that firing a coach isn't a solution

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, GoBills808 said:

McDermott clearly disagrees w you that firing a coach isn't a solution

That genius response is exactly what I was referring to when I say ‘mentality’.  
Firing a coach is an action. A solution is hiring a replacement who is successful-though it may take a a season or two to measure that success. Comprende?

On 11/16/2023 at 4:01 PM, GunnerBill said:

I don't agree. Sure they COULD run it back maybe 1 more year with this roster but they are fast approaching a reset point. If they want to run it back 1 more year they should retain the regime. If they want to start the reset they should fire them.

But in the next 2 years it is conceivable, indeed likely, that Hyde, Poyer, White, Jones, Von Miller, Floyd, Morse, Dawkins and Diggs will have to be replaced. That is not even accounting for the guys who will hit FA. That is a LOT of turnover. If you are going to commit to begin that in earnest this offseaon it makes little sense to do so with this staff IMO. 

And I am far from a McDermott and Beane hater. But that is the reality for me. I think this variation of the Bills roster has missed its window. So the question becomes does this regime get the chance to carry out the reset or is it time for fresh voices. I lean toward the latter.

That’s the new NFL.  Bills roster is elite, but destroyed by injuries.

Going forward-

offense- Josh, Cook, Kincaid, Cyrus, Shakir

defense-Taron, Groot, AJ, Ed, Bernard, Benford, Milano

Siran Neal, Dorian Williams, Diggs

That is a great young core IMO.

We have 9 draft picks, and can create cap space by extending Groot and AJ

Buffalo Bills will reload in 2024, and 2025.

You better believe Beane wants the finest Bills team opening the new stadium!

Go Bills!

Edited by Pete
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

42 minutes ago, Pete said:

Going forward-

Go Bills!

To some extent it is the NFL. But the Bills are one of the older rosters AND they will be going into year 8 of a regime that hasn't won a title. So the importance of this mini reset (and I agree it is a reload rather than a tear down and rebuild) is hightened. 

Also just on fact checks I think they will have 10 picks once they get the comp pick for Edmunds but they can't create cap room by extending AJE if they choose to. He is an impending FA after the season and thus currently counts as 0 on next year's cap. They could extend Greg but next year isn't his option year, next year is year 4, so his cap hit is like $3.5m. Not sure there is a way to extend for the long term and lower that by much at all. It is when a player is going into year 5 on the option that there is hay to be made from extending and lowering hits. 

There have been some positives this year from the younger guys. James Cook is really good IMO and Bernard even with chaos around him has been one of their best players and a very nice surprise. Kincaid has made some plays and Cyrus started the season very well (has struggled a bit more the last couple of games it's fair to say) and there should be more to come from him. 

McDermott is a man of faith first and foremost. Everything he does must be seen through that lens, before football even. Tonight, he is praying. And he has not lost faith, unlike many, who have been saying vile things about him. 

I'm putting my name down tonight as one who did not lose faith in him during this dark night of the soul. I believe in him and whatever plan there is for this football team. I believe tomorrow is the 1st win in an unlikely run to the playoffs. 

• Disagree 1

20 hours ago, Pete said:

Going forward-

Go Bills!

You include Siran Neal lol

And zero o-linemen or DTs

With no mention of very real cap constraints that will REQUIRE cuts and restructures just to be able to play ball. 

3 hours ago, Richard Noggin said:

You include Siran Neal lol

And zero o-linemen or DTs

With no mention of very real cap constraints that will REQUIRE cuts and restructures just to be able to play ball. 

Siran Neal is a stud Special Teams player, and Taron's backup.  Neal is one of top gunners in the NFL, and most definitely part of our young core.  Pay attention to Neal on Special Teams and you will appreciate how good he is at his job.

My point was that the 16 players listed are a young core, hence why I didn't list 53.  These are 16 young quality players we build around, and a fine 16.

We have 9 draft picks, and can create cap easily.  Joe Marino goes into great detail about our cap situation 24 and 25.

Lucky for us, the draft is loaded with talented WR and OL.  It's and offensive league, and Bills are going to get a big upgrade on offense.

No DT- Ed Oliver leads the NFL in interior pass rush %, and he is locked up.  DaQuan is WNY native, 32, and was the leader in interior pass %, before injury, which will help us retain him IMO

On 11/16/2023 at 5:06 PM, Shaw66 said:

I don't know if I agree with your conclusion, but the rest of this is exactly correct.   The future of this team is Josh Allen; he is practically the only guy who will be with the team in five years, and a lot of familiar faces will be gone in the next two to three.  True for every team.  

The question is exactly as you say - do you want Beane to assemble the talent coming behind the current talent, and do you want McDermott to coach it.  

If I'm answering that question today, I'm keeping Beane and McDermott.  

sorry I don’t agree. McDs message is old. These guys are barely fighting for a wc spot. They have taken steps back two years in a row now. 
the roster needs a retool. I’d give that to a new coach instead of wasting another year. I want a retool in the vision of a new coach instead of one on a hot seat. If that hot seat coach fails yet another year then that retool is wasted on him. A new coach wants his guys so the roster likely gets cleaned again. That is just wasting another year, if not two years of Josh Allen. The dude ain’t going to be around forever. 

• Agree 1

On 11/16/2023 at 11:20 PM, Shaw66 said:

That is why Mike Tomlin is still the coach in Pittsburgh.  The Steelers' management strategy is that you hire someone who's good and you go with him for the long-term.  Their strategy is to win based on the advantage that continuity gives them.  

if the goal is to win a Super Bowl then that strategy isn’t doing to well for them. It’s been 15 years. Do you want 15 more years of this? Where do you draw the line? Your example is a rare case to begin with. It’s also a case with a coach that actually won a Super Bowl. Twice. 

Edited by Scott7975
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 11/17/2023 at 2:47 PM, SoonerBillsFan said:

Fear is a terrible thing. So lets stay stagnant because we are afraid of something that isn't going to  happen period.

So being being over reactionary and of knee jerk mentality is infinitely better?

On 11/18/2023 at 5:07 AM, SoMAn said:

That genius response is exactly what I was referring to when I say ‘mentality’.  
Firing a coach is an action. A solution is hiring a replacement who is successful-though it may take a a season or two to measure that success. Comprende?

You can’t hire a replacement without first firing the current coach. 

I get it. You’re scared the next guy might be worse. That’s no reason to not try to do better. Accepting “almost made it that one year” while wasting an elite QB just because you are scared of the unknown would be a bigger catastrophe than keeping the current coach that almost made it but likely never will. 

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.