This team never makes a big stop

Brianmoorman4jesus

41 minutes ago, BillsFan130 said:

What does this stat have anything to do with what I said about making a clutch stop in the 4th quarter?

I never once said the offence wasn’t an issue, they clearly are the biggest problem now

Because if the offense scored more points, and the defense didn’t play to save the game from ending from the jump with offensive TO after offensive TO, they could probably play a bit better down the stretch, even with a billion injuries to their best players. 

40 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Because if the offense scored more points, and the defense didn’t play to save the game from ending from the jump with offensive TO after offensive TO, they could probably play a bit better down the stretch, even with a billion injuries to their best players. 

If they didn’t waste a billion high draft picks on defensive guys who aren’t starting maybe they could have invested it in some actual decent players for the offense instead of other teams castoffs

Edited by BananaB
  • Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Two things can be very true at the same time:

1. the offence sucks 

2. the defence can’t make a clutch stop in the 4th if their lives depended on it 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The offense has struggled all season. At times it’s been hard to watch and it’s infuriating….That being said, more then once this offense has kept grinding and gotten us the lead late, only to watch the Defense on skates and blow it. 

It’s not just this season, it’s EVERY season with McDermott….overall we end up with good statistics defensively but we never make a stop in a big spot. If we are in a situation where momentum is changing and we need a quick 3 and out to get the ball back, the other team moves it on us every single time. No exceptions. If we get up in a game and need a stop to win…they go down the field and score every time. If we aren’t turning people over, we don’t make stops. This coach has no clue how to get firm in a big spot. 13 seconds was the reveal to the world but it’s been happening on a smaller scale from day 1. If we aren’t turning a team over, we don’t stop them. Every third down, guys wide open. Every short yardage situation, no resistance…constant penalties in back braking spots. This defense looks good on paper but when you need them to step up, never happens

Been saying his for past seasons ax well. Always rebuked by stats guru's. When it really counts they fold. Smoking mirrors defense.

2 hours ago, MikePJ76 said:

i

the thing is had they had the Timeout and called it maybe they don't miss the field goal anyway.  It doesn't matter at this point I guess.

I doubt they would have used a TO there, as Denver was in "firedrill mode" to get the kick off. 

That was squarely on the ST coach & captain. These guys practice this stuff routinely (you would think). Maybe, just maybe somebody got hurt on a prior XP/FG attempt in the game and there was no communication on who was supposed to be out there. Inexcusable, they KNEW Denver was driving for the FG attempt.

1 hour ago, BananaB said:

He said if they’re going down they are going down swinging. Lol

so stupid. wilsons depth of throw was 3.4 yards to that point. play your base defense and get a stop before the other 45. shoudlnt be that hard. they had only blized 1x up till the first zero blitz. NO REASON to do it again. pure stupidity. 

I agree with the thread title, other than 6 words that need to be added:  This team never makes a big stop….with the game on the line.  I don’t know if this started with 13 seconds or it just intensified with 13 seconds.  But, the Buffalo defense rarely makes a stop with the game on the line.  

My son texted me before our last offensive drive started and predicted the exact final score.  I had just told my wife the exact same thing.  We have seen this multiple times: Josh & the offense drive late & give us the lead, followed by the defense giving up a game ending score.  This happens when we have bad defensive games and it happens in games ( like last night) when we have good defensive games. 

• Agree 1

I lot of what our Defense does in the 4th quarter or at the end of a game is affected by how offense plays. When you can't run the ball and pass 3 times with out converting it skus the time of possession way in favor of the other team. At one point last night it was 31 minutes to 18 minutes. 

This means are Defense is on the field 50% more then the other teams. They are gassed by the 4th quarter and by the end of the game they are done.  Couple that with bad defensive play calling and it's a no win situation. 

If the offense would stick to the damn run and we can establish a run it will fix a lot of issue. But not the crappy coaching. MCD needs to go regardless. 

Edited by BILLS55

how many turnovers around half?? how many pts did denver get off them?? 

the d did more than enuff 2 win even with all the injuries...any1 puttin the blame on the d needs 2 rewatch that game

any outside observer would assume the offence has all the injuries, its amazing they once put up 48 on miami

canning dorsey is a 1st step but ultimately he doesnt throw picks or drop balls or fumble etc

n dont get me started on no checkdown josh, they r wide open all game...something mental is goin on

3 hours ago, RousseauRage said:

He's a stat chaser.

So you're okay with the Bills losing that game 21 - 15 because we use up 2 downs trying not to score so we can try to score on 4th down?  I watched a lot of college and pro football this weekend and saw several games where teams couldn't score a TD after having 1st and goal inside the 5.  The idea that we wouldn't take the TD as soon as we could get it here is the most insane idea I've seen on 2BD in some time.

You people do know that this is different then running the clock down for a walk off FG right?

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, BILLS55 said:

I lot of what our Defense does in the 4th quarter or at the end of a game is affected by how offense plays. When you can't run the ball and pass 3 times with out converting it skus the time of possession way in favor of the other team. At one point last night it was 31 minutes to 18 minutes. 

This means are Defense is on the field 50% more then the other teams. They are gassed by the 4th quarter and by the end of the game they are done.  Couple that with bad defensive play calling and it's a no win situation. 

If the offense would stick to the damn run and we can establish a run it will fix a lot of issue. But not the crappy coaching. MCD needs to go regardless. 

What player looked gassed to you? If what you’re saying is true and our D is way to tired at the end of games shouldn’t it have the opposite effect against our O? Seems Bills  O always goes down and scores late in games and these defences they are playing against have no answers even though they should be well rested. Hmmm. The gameplan changes late, not just for our O but for opposing offences as well.  D can’t make a stop when needed and the to tired excuse is another copout. Other than the London game you can’t tell me any player looked tired on the field. 

This team used to have a great knockout punch when the offense was confident, but always struggled putting away teams during close games.  So now that the knockout punch aspect is gone, the Bills are basically the Indianapolis Colts.  No worse, No better.

7 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

The offense has struggled all season. At times it’s been hard to watch and it’s infuriating….That being said, more then once this offense has kept grinding and gotten us the lead late, only to watch the Defense on skates and blow it. 

It’s not just this season, it’s EVERY season with McDermott….overall we end up with good statistics defensively but we never make a stop in a big spot. If we are in a situation where momentum is changing and we need a quick 3 and out to get the ball back, the other team moves it on us every single time. No exceptions. If we get up in a game and need a stop to win…they go down the field and score every time. If we aren’t turning people over, we don’t make stops. This coach has no clue how to get firm in a big spot. 13 seconds was the reveal to the world but it’s been happening on a smaller scale from day 1. If we aren’t turning a team over, we don’t stop them. Every third down, guys wide open. Every short yardage situation, no resistance…constant penalties in back braking spots. This defense looks good on paper but when you need them to step up, never happens

Well said. I knew once we scored and got the lead, what would happen. I know in an ideal world we get a TD while killing the clock, but when you need a TD for the lead, you don't really have the option to run the clock out. You need the points. I knew what was going to happen though, just like the Patriots game, less than 2 minutes left, the other team just marches down the field. It's infuriating! 

4 hours ago, BananaB said:

If they didn’t waste a billion high draft picks on defensive guys who aren’t starting maybe they could have invested it in some actual decent players for the offense instead of other teams castoffs

Since 2018 - 

1st Round - 3 Offense / 4 Defense

2nd Round - 3 Offense / 2 Defense

3rd Round - 4 Offense / 2 Defense

Seems pretty even to me.

7 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Not in the 4th quarter.

Last two drives: 8 minute drive- TD.

GW field goal with time expiring 

You can only ask the defense for so much before they break a little. They played out of their mind. If the offense puts together any semblance of a professional appearance, this would have been a blow out for the Bills.

Edited by What a Tuel

1 hour ago, What a Tuel said:

Since 2018 - 

1st Round - 3 Offense / 4 Defense

2nd Round - 3 Offense / 2 Defense

3rd Round - 4 Offense / 2 Defense

Seems pretty even to me.

You can only ask the defense for so much before they break a little. They played out of their mind. If the offense puts together any semblance of a professional appearance, this would have been a blow out for the Bills.

I hear you, but It’s not a one time thing though.

4 times this year they have choked in the 4th.

8 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Nope. Crunch time you need to make a stop. This is not a one time thing .

4 times this year they needed a stop when they were leading or needed a stop in the 4th to have a chance.

Want to know what the results are?

0-4.

Jax- 2 TDs in a row to salt the game away

NE- GW drive to mac jones

cinci- drains the clock to end game

Den- GW drive to Russell Wilson

The offence is def the reason they lost in a vacuum . But the defence is to blame as well as it’s the same story with them in the 4th quarter 

It’s called complimentary football.

9 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

You know the team just made a big stop to win a game two weeks ago right? They also did it two weeks before that.

The issue here is that we've asked the team to make a stop to tin the game every single week for the last six weeks, right? That's untenable. We've won two of those which is one game shy of a coin flip.

46 minutes ago, cgg716 said:

The best defense even in good years was Allen. He buried teams early turned them into pass only. Skewed every stat, they've never actually been good despite having a defensive coach 

Lot of truth to that  They cant hold a one score lead no matter who the opposing qb is

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

I thought the defense was stout last night. If we’re being fair, the offense put them in terrible field position and went 3 and out most drives. So not only did they allow very few drives and forced FGs on possessions starting in plus territory, they had sacks and forced an important turnover, giving the offense a short field. You want to blame Johnson for the PI, fine but it shouldn’t have come down to that. The defense was not the problem.

Ah, the defense was the problem at the end of the game. They couldn’t get the key stop. Couldn’t close the deal. 

Let’s say you’re a high end auto salesman. 

Dude comes in looking for a Kia, but now you’ve got him looking at a Jag XL. 
takes it out for a test drive. You’re on him to come back in, don’t go to any other dealers. 
He come back with his checkbook. You go back and forth a bit, but y ou get him to agree to a deal that gives your dealership a nice $15K profit with a $3K commission going to you. 

He’s signing the deal when his pen runs dry. 

You say, no prob, use mine. It’s your favorite pen with a Michigan M on it. 

Turns out the dude was a huge Ohio State fan. He says ima outa here. 

You played the deal perfectly, but you didn’t close. 

That’s why the Bills D is at fault. They didn’t close the deal. 

• Haha (+1) 1

11 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

Nope. Crunch time you need to make a stop. This is not a one time thing .

4 times this year they needed a stop when they were leading or needed a stop in the 4th to have a chance.

Want to know what the results are?

0-4.

Jax- 2 TDs in a row to salt the game away

NE- GW drive to mac jones

cinci- drains the clock to end game

Den- GW drive to Russell Wilson

The offence is def the reason they lost in a vacuum . But the defence is to blame as well as it’s the same story with them in the 4th quarter 

Um, they stopped the Giants and the Bucs. They also outscored the Commanders by themselves. 

I guess the defense is really 3-4 this season. With half of their players injured. 

2 hours ago, cgg716 said:

The best defense even in good years was Allen. He buried teams early turned them into pass only. Skewed every stat, they've never actually been good despite having a defensive coach 

Somehow this argument works only one way. 

Does this mean that Josh playing terrible and the offense turning it over a billion times makes the defense look worse? 

It would have to, right?

13 minutes ago, FireChans said:

Um, they stopped the Giants and the Bucs. They also outscored the Commanders by themselves. 

I guess the defense is really 3-4 this season. With half of their players injured. 

Does this mean that Josh playing terrible and the offense turning it over a billion times makes the defense look worse? 

It would have to, right?

Bad examples. We got really luky the refs didn't call a second flag in The Giants game. We could have easily lost the Bucs game on a hail mary. We got lucky that none of the Bucs players were looking for the damn ball, and it hit the ground.

2 minutes ago, Aimee75 said:

Bad examples. We got really luky the refs didn't call a second flag in The Giants game. We could have easily lost the Bucs game on a hail mary. We got lucky that none of the Bucs players were looking for the damn ball, and it hit the ground.

Those were stops. They had an opportunity to stop those teams from

scoring and winning. And the ball fell incomplete. That’s a stop.

29 minutes ago, FireChans said:

It would have to, right?

They stopped the giants 3rd stringers with a blatant missed PI call by 1 yard.

And they “stopped” the bucs from going 80 yards in 20 seconds with 0 timeouts. (Not to mention they let up a TD the previous drive)

Thats what we are basing it on?

Edited by BillsFan130

1 minute ago, BillsFan130 said:

They stopped the giants 3rd stringers with a blatant missed PI call by 1 yard.

And they stopped the bucs from going 80 yards in 20 seconds with 0 timeouts. (Not to mention they let up a TD the previous drive)

Thats what we are basing it on?

27 minutes ago, FireChans said:

This was your quote and it was wrong. You clearly forgot the games they did make stops on. 

Was just trying to correct you.

Just now, FireChans said:

This was your quote and it was wrong. You clearly forgot the games they did make stops on. 

Was just trying to correct you.

That don’t count as stops to me.

Those teams ran out of time.

Giants had 65 yards to go with 0 timeouts with about 1:30.

And tampa had 80 yards to go with 0 timeouts in 20 seconds lol.

Those aren’t “stops “ to me

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.