Deep thoughts, with Bruce Vilanch

BruceVilanch

Fire McDermott and Dorsey tomorrow morning. Roll with this team, for this season and clean house once the season is over. I'm honestly fine keeping Beane, but wouldn't be opposed to getting a fresh set of eyes from the GM spot. Keep Diggs, Kincaid, Cook, and Shakir. Josh is still young and we would attract any OC we wanted, we have weapons, we just don't have a creative OFFENSIVE minded head coach. It's clear McDermott's message has gone stale and this season is done, I honestly think we would have a shot at a wildcard spot with an interim head coach, they would play their ass off for anyone who has a new message,and Josh would hopefully revert to playing like his old self. I've honestly never witnessed a worse coaching performance at any level of football.

Mods feel free to delete or merge, I just needed to get this out. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

I think most of what has gone wrong this year stems from McD taking on double duty as DC and HC.  This kinda stuff was not the norm under him. In fact, this is kinda like the anti-McD.  Think it's obvious some things are being overlooked and slipping thru the cracks in terms of preparation, attention to details and just general oversight that he can't have anymore because of him being heavily invested in creating defensive gameplans and calling plays.

Personally, I think McD needs to pick someone to hand off DC duties to and go back to just being a HC full time.  Clearly this is not working out the way we had hoped, and it's no coincidence this sloppiness that has pervaded this team throughout the year started the first year McD attempted to pull double duty.  

Even most HC's that run one side of the ball still have coordinator's that do most of the heavy lifting on that side of the ball during the week.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Agree 1

Just now, Big Turk said:

I think most of what has gone wrong this year stems from McD taking on double duty as DC and HC.  This kinda stuff was not the norm under him. In fact, this is kinda like the anti-McD.  Think it's obvious some things are being overlooked and slipping thru the cracks in terms of preparation, attention to details and just general oversight that he can't have anymore because of him being heavily invested in creating defensive gameplans and calling plays.

Personally, I think McD needs to pick someone to hand off DC duties to and go back to just being a HC full time.  Clearly this is not working out the way we had hoped, and it's no coincidence this sloppiness that has pervaded this team throughout the year started the first year McD attempted to pull double duty.  

Even most HC's that run that side of the ball still have coordinator's that do most of the heavy lifting on that side of the ball during the week.

Oh my God, you're still doing this. 

So what's the excuse on the last play? What else was McD doing that he couldn't count 12 guys on the field? AFTER a timeout too! 

• Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

Even most HC's that run one side of the ball still have coordinator's that do most of the heavy lifting on that side of the ball during the week.

He's consistently failed in big moments. Not sure how you think his blunders this year are any different.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

He has to go. I like him too... Monday through Saturday that is.

2 minutes ago, Herc11 said:

He's consistently failed in big moments. Not sure how you think his blunders this year are any different.

His blunders typically aren't in the regular season tho.  The Bills routinely won these type of games in the previous 5 years.

9 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

If we’re firing McD then I want Beane gone too. 

McD essentially hand picked Beane and he deserves his fair share of criticism. 

I'm mute on the point.  I could fire McDermott and keep Beane, but I would have no problem firing them both if that's what it took

• Agree 2

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

His blunders typically aren't in the regular season tho.  The Bills routinely won these type of games in the previous 5 years.

Who cares when they happen. He has not shown the ability to learn from his own mistakes. How in the hell hasn't he fixed this after his biggest failure... 13 seconds. 

Who's going to bench McDermott for his fumbles?

41 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Beane gets one more year in my book. IMHO Sean McDermott was very influential in those failed defensive picks.  Get a offensive HC in here immediately and stress offense in future drafts. Not the ratio McB wanted (60% D).

23 minutes ago, mannc said:

Without Josh Allen, McDermott would have been fired four years ago.  He is every bit as bad as Mularkey, Jauron, Gailley, etc.

Without Josh Allen, we wouldn't even be making the playoffs! Oh, wait...yikes!  I bet anything Gailey would have this team trucking forward harder than they are now.  He'll, look what he did with Ryan Fitzpatrick and Stevie Johnson!  We have Josh Allen and Stefon Diggs now and we are just as bad if not worse!  The coaches are failing miserabley.  In a catastrophic type bombing effect 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bangarang said:

The thing is, unlike McDermott, Beane has a number of redeeming qualities, and this team is naturally headed toward a time period of huge change as it is.  It might be nice leaving Beane in place to architect the retool.

Having said that, if Beane has to go with McDermott, so be it! 

Better both go than neither.

1 hour ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

So what's the excuse on the last play? What else was McD doing that he couldn't count 12 guys on the field? AFTER a timeout too! 

He was still face palming after calling the second blitz.

BTW there was no timeout, the Broncos had to run their FG unit out there fast.  Problem was that McD used up his timeouts on defense and whoever was responsible for counting the players couldn't do anything about it.

16 minutes ago, Gunsgoodtime said:

Without Josh Allen, we wouldn't even be making the playoffs! Oh, wait...yikes!  I bet anything Gailey would have this team trucking forward harder than they are now.  He'll, look what he did with Ryan Fitzpatrick and Stevie Johnson!  We have Josh Allen and Stefon Diggs now and we are just as bad if not worse!  The coaches are failing miserabley.  In a catastrophic type bombing effect 

Gailey and Wade are the two unsung heroes of the post-superbowl years.

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

This is worrying about the color of the frosting on the cake when the cake is rotten. 

The basic strategic approach that the Bills have taken since landing a true franchise QB in 2019 has failed.  This approach, designed and executed by McD & Bean emphasized the defense at the expense of the offense.  EVERY top franchise in the NFL today with Allen at QB would have done the opposite and emphasized their offense over their defense. 

It really is that simple and the solution is really that simple - fire McD & Bean.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BruceVilanch said:

Fire McDermott and Dorsey tomorrow morning. Roll with this team, for this season and clean house once the season is over. I'm honestly fine keeping Beane, but wouldn't be opposed to getting a fresh set of eyes from the GM spot. Keep Diggs, Kincaid, Cook, and Shakir. Josh is still young and we would attract any OC we wanted, we have weapons, we just don't have a creative OFFENSIVE minded head coach. It's clear McDermott's message has gone stale and this season is done, I honestly think we would have a shot at a wildcard spot with an interim head coach, they would play their ass off for anyone who has a new message,and Josh would hopefully revert to playing like his old self. I've honestly never witnessed a worse coaching performance at any level of football.

And hire who?  I agree i think changes should be made but there’s still a glimmer of a playoff chance baring a minor miracle (i believe no chance).  After the season of they continue to lose then it’s very possible he’s gone 

3 minutes ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

And hire who?  I agree i think changes should be made but there’s still a glimmer of a playoff chance baring a minor miracle (i believe no chance).  After the season of they continue to lose then it’s very possible he’s gone 

There likely will be no changes in-season, and that's for the best from a fan's perspective.

We have not bottomed out yet.  This is going to get worse.  

By the time the season ends, Pegula may have no choice but to make major changes.

My first choice as new HC would be "best available" among those who are fired this year anyway with experience and achievement.  We won't know who they are until the season is over.

5 hours ago, Bangarang said:

McDermott is the stand alone biggest problem with this team. Love the man, hate the head coach. He’s incompetent as a game manager and our team never seems to be prepared to play 60 minutes.

Beane is one of the best GMs in the league, consistently giving his coaches quality players and making in season moves to help this team fill holes. He’s not the absolute best drafter but his ability to wheel and deal is unmatched. He may need a few better scouts in his ear but the dude is a great GM. No way am I tossing him to the curb. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, NickelCity said:

I think Pegula might need Beane for a HC search. I'm a bit worried about Terry and a headhunting crew making a good choice.

"Russ Brandon and Doug Whaley, professional football advisors, at your service!"

Whaley: "Can we transition to dodgeball?  It's less violent."

Brandon: "First, I'll need an office and a telephone extension.  Oh, and an assistant..."

4 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

This is worrying about the color of the frosting on the cake when the cake is rotten. 

The basic strategic approach that the Bills have taken since landing a true franchise QB in 2019 has failed.  This approach, designed and executed by McD & Bean emphasized the defense at the expense of the offense.  EVERY top franchise in the NFL today with Allen at QB would have done the opposite and emphasized their offense over their defense. 

It really is that simple and the solution is really that simple - fire McD & Bean.

Like the Browns who have a better D that drafted Mayfield as in same year we did Allen? Or how about the Jets that got Darnold? Or I know the Ravens with Lamar. Sorry your analysis isn't accurate. 

• Eyeroll 1

6 hours ago, BruceVilanch said:

At least more people are seeing the core problem.  Not that that helps, but it makes for more unified discussions fwtw.  

Our chances of making the playoffs are less as a wild card than they are as division winners.  The only chance we have is if Miami struggles and sihts the bed for some inexplicable reason.  

We'll be lucky to be 8-9 at this point.  

Let's hope that Pegula has the fortitude to do what needs to be done.  

The pressers should be a real hoot.  

6 hours ago, Big Turk said:

I was thinking this thought as I lay awake with yet another stress headache caused by the Bills. McD was a bad game manager so what did the Bills do? They gave him EXTRA duties to run the defense AND manage the game!! Probably in retrospect, the worst possible decision you could have made! Pure stupidity!

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Please let's stop with these hire who things.

There aren't too many coaches in the league, at any level, that would have snatched defeat from the jaws of victory in the 13 Seconds game, costing us a championship, or botched other things like yesterday's finale  

That alone ...  

Seven seasons in and McD's "still learning.". SMH 

Hire whom?  

How about someone that understands what the purpose of an offensive line is.  I'll take that sans much else and give them the same 7 seasons to "learn." 

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

My first thought was how does this affect their EPA.

Black comedy

😁

58 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Pulls dusty Carolina Panthers rolodex out of filing cabinet in the tool shed.  

If that ain't the truth.

Problem now is, most of those numbers have different people sitting at the desk.

Time to go through the league and see which William & Mary coaches need jobs.

Until then, the Carolina Clown Show rolls on!

6 hours ago, Skyline Chili said:

It's a package deal.  McDermott got Beane's job and he whiffs on most draft picks, most recent being Elam.  Got to blow it up 

i wonder whether Elam is a total bust or if the coaching is just so bad that they can't utilize his talents in their D scheme. He probably is a bust but one can't say the Bills coaching staff is A+ and its all Elam. We'll probably never know until he starts playing for another team.

4 hours ago, The Jokeman said:

Like the Browns who have a better D that drafted Mayfield as in same year we did Allen? Or how about the Jets that got Darnold? Or I know the Ravens with Lamar. Sorry your analysis isn't accurate. 

Wait, you're supporting my point:  the Browns and Jets screwed up their QB picks and how far in the playoffs have their elite defenses gotten them?  Oh that's right, ONE playoff win over the last 5 seasons.  In fact only one playoff appearance between the two teams in FIVE YEARS! 

And Mayfield & Darnold were never elite franchise QB's in the way that Allen established himself back in 2020. As an aside so what did Cleveland & the Jets do after screwing up on QB but fielding elite defenses?  They sold the farm to get a shot at a franchise QB.  In fact watch this off season as both the Jets & Browns throw everything they got at improving their offensive talent.

As for the Ravens, they're a special case.  The Ravens did recognize Jackson's unique skill set and built an entire offense around it.  The problem was that this extraordinary move elevated Jackson to being an elite franchise QB but didn't translate into playoff success.  By any measure the Ravens have been less successful then the Bills over the last 3 seasons.  And the Ravens recognized they needed to shake things up on offense so this off season they made a number of high profile signings to do just tat.

18 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Wait, you're supporting my point:  the Browns and Jets screwed up their QB picks and how far in the playoffs have their elite defenses gotten them?  Oh that's right, ONE playoff win over the last 5 seasons.  In fact only one playoff appearance between the two teams in FIVE YEARS! 

And Mayfield & Darnold were never elite franchise QB's in the way that Allen established himself back in 2020. As an aside so what did Cleveland & the Jets do after screwing up on QB but fielding elite defenses?  They sold the farm to get a shot at a franchise QB.  In fact watch this off season as both the Jets & Browns throw everything they got at improving their offensive talent.

As for the Ravens, they're a special case.  The Ravens did recognize Jackson's unique skill set and built an entire offense around it.  The problem was that this extraordinary move elevated Jackson to being an elite franchise QB but didn't translate into playoff success.  By any measure the Ravens have been less successful then the Bills over the last 3 seasons.  And the Ravens recognized they needed to shake things up on offense so this off season they made a number of high profile signings to do just tat.

And Lamar producing like 30 more passing yards and slight uptick in completion percentage.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.