Milano/Daquan question?

stlbills13

1 hour ago, mrags said:

Except Suh doesn’t want to come here. He wants to be a Raven. 

but I too hope for him. It’s just not gonna happen tho. 

Sounds like he’s keeping his options open, from what I’ve read.  BBB, Von, Josh, Stef and Bills Mafia all just gotta make the sale!  He’s the missing piece between us and the long awaited Lombardi!

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/five-time-pro-bowler-ndamukong-suh-looking-to-sign-with-an-nfl-contender-and-hes-already-talked-to-one-team/

19 minutes ago, Orlando Tim said:

Milano is not sharing much information with anyone, including his friends. He is from near where I live and I have an acquaintance who is tight enough that Milano he has gone with Milanos family to every game in Florida. As of last week Milano had not contacted him to respond to anything related to leg and his parents are not telling anyone anything. My guess is that the leg is really messed up but maybe he is trying something revolutionary to heal it and doesn't want to hear it from his father who is a doctor. 

Milano said if we must amputate, amputate.  Whatever gets me back playing as fast as possible.

• Simon changed the title to Milano/Daquan question?
4 hours ago, NewEra said:

Sure hope so.  

I was really hoping we’d eliminate the Dodson/Rapp pairing by adding someone at LB.  

Douglas is a big corner, maybe they can move him into rapps spot when they want to go 6 DBs.  He can play inside and out.  Super physical. 

We we one CB injury away from season over.  Just a great trade.  

-  been listening to a couple packers podcasts talking about the trade-  99% are either sad (because they think he’s good and wanted to keep him long term) or happy for him (to be traded for a contender).  Many said that they loved watching him play.  I love that.

I like what we did last game with moving Poyer down to LB and Rapp at Safety. I think that combo gives us our best possible players at their best possible spots. Much better than Rapp or Dodson at LB.

Edited by DrDawkinstein

2 hours ago, Eastport bills said:

Funny you referenced LB and not our primary need, CB. Minn. needed aQB, they got one. Seattle needed a tackle, Leonard Williams, Philly needed a safety, they got an all pro, SF needed a DE,they got a 1st rd drafted Chase Young, the Bears wanted an elite DE, Montez Sweat. Jacksonville lost an OL and got one. If you are relevant and ready to deal draft picks, there’s a trade partner available. Beane got a good corner because he knew the fans would destroy him if he did nothing with his track record of not being active at the deadline.

😳

Somehow, I doubt Beane gives a rat’s tail what armchair GMs care about his perceived lack of activity…

• Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I like what we did last game with moving Poyer down to LB and Rapp at Safety. I think that combo gives us our best possible players at their best possible spots. Much better than Rapp or Dodson at LB.

Yeah I guess.  I think any situation where we have Dodson or Rapp out there is bad.  I think they’re both 💩 

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

Yeah it's certainly not ideal. Just the best of what we have to work with.

Yeah- I think it just depends on the play call.  If it’s a run, I’d rather have Dodson out there @ LB.  If it’s a pass, I’d rather have Rapp @ S and Poyer @ LB.  

5 hours ago, stlbills13 said:

Does the lack of moves at those positions mean the Bills feel confident these two could be back this season? 

I wish.  I think it more reflects that there wasn’t a player available for trade at those positions that we thought would really help us.

The question is, were there players that could help us available, but Beane wasn’t willing to go all-in, either because he didn’t think 1 or 2 players would help, or because he’s just not wired that way?

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, Bferra13 said:

Leg break with no knee structural damage was the rumor. I dont think we know for sure though. Hell, I've read totally unsubstantiated articles that mentioned late December as a possible return. But I don't think anyone knows besides his docs and the Bills.

If it’s just a leg break that is tremendous news 

4 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

Milano is not sharing much information with anyone, including his friends. He is from near where I live and I have an acquaintance who is tight enough that Milano he has gone with Milanos family to every game in Florida. As of last week Milano had not contacted him to respond to anything related to leg and his parents are not telling anyone anything. My guess is that the leg is really messed up but maybe he is trying something revolutionary to heal it and doesn't want to hear it from his father who is a doctor. 

:/

5 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

With Milano it depends what he broke.  If the fibula he could come back since it isn’t a weight bearing thing.  If a tibial fracture then much less likely he can get back this year.

The speculation based upon what was seen of the injury was tibial plateau fracture

Banged up Bills did a piece based on that assumption, explaining what a tibial plateau fracture is and how it’s repaired.

JJ Watt had an tibial plateau fracture and returned to play the following season

As always the “devil is in the details” of the injury” but a key point is, the tibial plateau is a weight bearing part of the knee structure, basically one side of the knee joint.  So recovery from a tibial fracture (at least used to) involve a significant time without weight bearing on the injured leg, possibly not even bending the knee for a period of time.  So then there’s inevitable atrophy, and the need to regain ROM and rebuild muscle.

Again, we don’t know for sure what the injury is, but if it is a tibial plateau fracture I think it’s very unlikely Milano would be back this year, and even if he thinks he can return, it might be in his long-term best interest to do a thorough rehab

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

No way Cookie is back this season. He's 50/50 at best to be back by the end of next season.  Broken leg and ACL together is 12-18 months. 

There is real hope that his ACL was not torn. It was certainly not reported anywhere that it was.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

When someone complains that they told a friend something they wanted kept confidential, and the friend promptly “spilled the tea”, they might be asked:

”who told first, you or your friend?”  If you don’t want something all over the media, fewer people who know, the better your chances to keep it quiet.  That includes reasonably good friends and sometimes close relatives.  Anyone who might be tempted to talk to an enterprising reporter.

I think it’s a stretch that “the leg is really messed up” or “maybe he’s trying something revolutionary”.  Milano seems to have a history of not talking to the press more than necessary, not being on social media, not building a “brand”.

If it were someone like Von Miller or Jordan Poyer with their social media and podcasts and frequent press conferences and so forth, it might be reasonable speculation that radio silence about an injury is not a good sign.  But from Milano, I think he’s made it clear he wants to fly under the radar in ordinary times.  He doesn’t want his business in the press, and he’s savvy enough to figure out how to keep it that way.  Doesn’t mean the leg is really messed up and undergoing revolutionary treatment; doesn’t mean it isn’t.  It just is how he is.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, stlbills13 said:

Does the lack of moves at those positions mean the Bills feel confident these two could be back this season? 

There's word that DaQuan could be back, at least for the playoffs.

"I'm gonna trust our friend Kyle Trimble, who talked about the potential to come back, and tweets directly from the man himself, DaQuan Jones. I trust that DaQuan Jones is going to be back for the playoffs and ready to play. There are multiple examples of 1-tech big defensive tackles having these type of strains being able to come back in the time frame to be there."

24:30   (And Tompsett had Rasul as a close second-best choice at CB, so he knew whereof he spoke.)

Haven't heard the same for Milano.

Generally, a lack of moves can just as easily mean a lack of trade options that make sense to us, though.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

When someone complains that they told a friend something they wanted kept confidential, and the friend promptly “spilled the tea”, they might be asked:

”who told first, you or your friend?”  If you don’t want something all over the media, fewer people who know, the better your chances to keep it quiet.  That includes reasonably good friends and sometimes close relatives.  Anyone who might be tempted to talk to an enterprising reporter.

I think it’s a stretch that “the leg is really messed up” or “maybe he’s trying something revolutionary”.  Milano seems to have a history of not talking to the press more than necessary, not being on social media, not building a “brand”.

If it were someone like Von Miller or Jordan Poyer with their social media and podcasts and frequent press conferences and so forth, it might be reasonable speculation that radio silence about an injury is not a good sign.  But from Milano, I think he’s made it clear he wants to fly under the radar in ordinary times.  He doesn’t want his business in the press, and he’s savvy enough to figure out how to keep it that way.  Doesn’t mean the leg is really messed up and undergoing revolutionary treatment; doesn’t mean it isn’t.  It just is how he is.

Good point. Milano's never been outgoing.

Edited by Thurman#1

13 hours ago, Rat-boy said:

😳

Somehow, I doubt Beane gives a rat’s tail what armchair GMs care about his perceived lack of activity…

Why the righteous indignation towards a fellow Bills fan who expects a GM to actually make a move when we suffer catastrophic injuries. Who knows, he might even care what the customers think. Thankfully he’s got people like you, Rat person, who discourages any descent.

• Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SUNTANBILLS FAN said:

So 26 mins ago he posted a photo of him on the field playing with a cryptic message .... soon with a blue heart.

im not sure if it is legit but man if he can come back this year we can do this. I find it odd mcD never said out for the season.

Where? I checked Instagram and twatter

18 hours ago, NewEra said:

Sure hope so.  

I was really hoping we’d eliminate the Dodson/Rapp pairing by adding someone at LB.  

Douglas is a big corner, maybe they can move him into rapps spot when they want to go 6 DBs.  He can play inside and out.  

We were one CB injury away from season over.  Just a great trade.  

-  been listening to a couple packers podcasts talking about the trade-  99% are either sad (because they think he’s good and wanted to keep him long term) or happy for him (to be traded for a contender).  Many said that they loved watching him play.  I love that.

Joe Marino on his pod was also very positive on this move by the Bills—sounds like we got a good zone scheme fit guy. 

• Agree 1

It’s just mind blowing to me Milano breaks his leg… yet walked off the field, didn’t seem too super serious. Then talks of ligament damage. Suspected No ligament damage.

How bad was this break, where was the break and what was the exact surgical fix that leaves this guy with no chance to return this year. Shoot Crowder returned last year. 

Most times you hear a break it’s 6-8 Weeks…. Which 10 weeks would be 3rd week of December. Still no chance? I feel lost with Milanos situation 

I know Pec tears are not a trivial injury.  A doctor at work had one and it took many months to fully recover.  IIRC he had his arm in a sling for 1-2 months then gradually started doing increasing PT over the next 2-4 months.  It was around 6 months before he could really go back to his normal lifting/workouts with it.  Not sure how much NFL athletes can speed up that timeline.

I think the Bills didn't add a LB because Beane thinks we're set at that position for next year.  His time horizon is always two years downstream.  He's expecting Bernard and Milano to be the guys next year, and he didn't want to expend draft capital (which he covets) for a third starter-quality guy.

If the Bills had beaten any two of the Jets/Jags/Pats (which they really should have done) perhaps Beane would have gone all-in for this year.  But the gaping holes on the D line, LB, and defensive backfield are too great, and he's being honest with himself that this year isn't going to be THE year.

2 minutes ago, Utah John said:

I think the Bills didn't add a LB because Beane thinks we're set at that position for next year.  His time horizon is always two years downstream.  He's expecting Bernard and Milano to be the guys next year, and he didn't want to expend draft capital (which he covets) for a third starter-quality guy.

If the Bills had beaten any two of the Jets/Jags/Pats (which they really should have done) perhaps Beane would have gone all-in for this year.  But the gaping holes on the D line, LB, and defensive backfield are too great, and he's being honest with himself that this year isn't going to be THE year.

He just stated that he's looking at adding a DT.  Suh would be my guess.  

Off ball linebacker should not be a make or break position.  It's the least important position on the Defense.  

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

There's word that DaQuan could be back, at least for the playoffs.

"I'm gonna trust our friend Kyle Trimble, who talked about the potential to come back, and tweets directly from the man himself, DaQuan Jones. I trust that DaQuan Jones is going to be back for the playoffs and ready to play. There are multiple examples of 1-tech big defensive tackles having these type of strains being able to come back in the time frame to be there."

I think "speculation Daquan could be back" might be a better choice of words.  I'm not sure what tweets from Daquan you have in mind?  He's posted a photo going into the facility, that's all.

Here's Trimble's assessment for anyone interested.

https://bangedupbills.com/2023/10/09/analyzing-buffalo-bills-daquan-joness-pectoral-injury/

The thing we really don't know (unless I missed it) is the location and grade of the tear.  We do know he required surgery.  We know that a number of players who had surgery came back in 10-12 weeks (typically that's something like 8-10 weeks to be cleared to do some kind of strength training, a couple weeks of strength training, and 2 weeks of 'designated to return' practices).

So yeah Daquan could theoretically return, possibly around the Week 17 Patriots game, maybe +/- game - IF the grade of sprain isn't the most severe and his recovery goes smoothly with no setbacks.  The JJ Watt Week 10 thing was extraordinary, and fueled by desire to contribute to a "win or go home" game; he played but wasn't very effective the following week when they lost to KC, IIRC.

9 hours ago, Thurman#1 said:

Haven't heard the same for Milano.

Generally, a lack of moves can just as easily mean a lack of trade options that make sense to us, though.

Agree on both points.    And in fact, if what Milano had was indeed a tibial plateau fracture - those are serious injuries that players do return from, but it's not a given.  So take your time on your rehab and give yourself the best chance at a "small setback for a big comeback", Cookie!

5 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Yes. I follow him on FB and saw it too. Fwiw, in typical Milano style, short and to the point.

“SOON”

Linky?  I looked on Facebook for Milano pages and those I found looked like fan pages.  Thanks!

Edit:  OK, found this.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=pfbid0aPKjyRkwyn4ARZ8YZzBMhaFULHEBXE7BVh9EUVQiSp25pyd4DWudE7Zv2TmtCm3yl&id=100094768238055

I will say, that account looks more plausible than the others I found.

That would be incredible going from speculation about tibial plateau fracture to the implication he might be back....Soon ?

Edited by Beck Water
  • Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Linky?  I looked on Facebook for Milano pages and those I found looked like fan pages.  Thanks!

Edit:  OK, found this.

https://www.facebook.com/permalink.php?story_fbid=pfbid0aPKjyRkwyn4ARZ8YZzBMhaFULHEBXE7BVh9EUVQiSp25pyd4DWudE7Zv2TmtCm3yl&id=100094768238055

I will say, that account looks more plausible than the others I found.

That would be incredible going from speculation about tibial plateau fracture to the implication he might be back....Soon ?

If you look at that facebook account, it has a lot of the same posts (images and captions) as his official instagram, which he definitely uses. The instagram account does not have the "Soon" post. 

What is raising my eyebrows is that the posts don't match up in time. His hamlin post was made in January on his instagram account, but was put on the facebook page in July. That seems like something a fan account recently made would do. 

Yeah that Matt Milano facebook page was made in July and then everything he ever posted on instagram was dumped there. That is a fan's doing. 

Edited by Franco_92
  • Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.