Week 9 thread - We’re on to Cincinnati

BillsFan619

4 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I had to move from Buffalo after UB for a job.  I didn't want to leave as I loved Western NY but South West Ohio is a fantastic place and I felt right at home within a few years of moving here.

I'm here in northeastern Ohio and it is a flat out dump... feel sorry for my wife who is from here. Basically her home has turned into a sort of mix of urban and backwoods Kentucky.

I feel the whole "bless your heart" fakeness as spent my teen years in Charlotte, NC... it turns off some people.

2 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yes this game really should tell us about McD.  10 days to prepare, a bad taste in his (and all Bills mouths) from last year, a Cincy D that is vulnerable, our defense, which McD coaches has not played well in 4 weeks (and while good vs. Miami, Miami too self destructed a # of times and did put up yards), and the fact that many here hold him in such high esteem, one day he needs to show he deserves that praise.

Yep it is up to McD to have the team up and frankly roll Cincy.

the cincy d is vulnerable but the bills isn't?

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Of course it's the "Midwest" and yes it is also the northern most "Southern" city.  That is what makes it different and nice.  IMO of course.

And yes Downtown & OTR are nice but don't forget the Banks (where the baseball & football stadiums are located along the Ohio river) and Mount Adams (which is like Allen street on a big hill).

I already retracted my statements upthread. I had a bad exchange at CVG baggage claim and posted while still angry. Sorry, Cincinnati. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 minute ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

I'm here in northeastern Ohio and it is a flat out dump... feel sorry for my wife who is from here. Basically her home has turned into a sort of mix of urban and backwoods Kentucky.

I feel the whole "bless your heart" fakeness as spent my teen years in Charlotte, NC... it turns off some people.

Other then for business or driving through on my way to Buffalo & Rochester I can't comment on NE Ohio as I've never lived there.  But the difference between NE and SW Ohio is like the difference between Western NY and Down State NY. 

Another interesting thing about SW Ohio is that it's a heavily Catholic area, not Baptist like you would get further south.  It's German Catholic as opposed to the Italian/Irish/Polish Catholicism of Western NY but the cultural impact on the city would remind folks of a place further north then south.

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, teef said:

I didn't say the Bills Defense isn't vulnerable.  I would like to see them show up however as they have not been good and yes we get there are injuries, but all teams have them and yep sometimes they need to step up and the coaches held accountable (looking at you McDermott).

Why are there always excuses?

• Haha (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I already retracted my statements upthread. I had a bad exchange at CVG baggage claim and posted while still angry. Sorry, Cincinnati. 

We can at least agree that no one has a good experience at the CVG baggage claim.  It is flat out the worst baggage claim in the United States. 

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

I didn't say the Bills Defense isn't vulnerable.  I would like to see them show up however as they have not been good and yes we get there are injuries, but all teams have them and yep sometimes they need to step up and the coaches held accountable (looking at you McDermott).

who is making excuses?  it's reasonable to think without 3 top players, the d may not be as effective.  i expect mcd to still have a solid game plan, but at some point it's a personnel issue.  it's ok to realize that.

what's with you always getting upset over mcd?  i can just picture you red faced, typing angry on your keyboard anytime anyone mentions the guy.  you won't even post in the offseason because you can't B word about the  guy.  try to have reasonable discussion.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Of course it's the "Midwest" and yes it is also the northern most "Southern" city.  That is what makes it different and nice.  IMO of course.

And yes Downtown & OTR are nice but don't forget the Banks (where the baseball & football stadiums are located along the Ohio river) and Mount Adams (which is like Allen street on a big hill).

7 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

I went to Xavier and got a good taste of Cincinnati. In addition to the areas mentioned, I lived in Hyde Park one year and spent a lot of time in Mt Lookout for Zip’s and visiting friends. I still get back now and then and it’s MUCH better than it was back in the late 70’s and early 80’s. OTR is as fun now as it was dangerous then. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, teef said:

who is making excuses?  it's reasonable to think without 3 top players, the d may not be as effective.  i expect mcd to still have a solid game plan, but at some point it's a personnel issue.  it's ok to realize that.

And it's really 4 with an ineffective Von.  No unit could really withstand that.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, SWATeam said:

And it's really 4 with an ineffective Von.  No unit could really withstand that.

true.  i'm not saying i expect them to lay down either.  if they show up looking anything like they did in that playoff game, we'll know who this team is.  

18 minutes ago, teef said:

what's with you always getting upset over mcd?  i can just picture you red faced, typing angry on your keyboard anytime anyone mentions the guy.  you won't even post in the offseason because you can't B word about the  guy.  try to have reasonable discussion.  

Who's making excuses???  You can't be serious.  This site is full of McD truthers who seems to think he took over the worst team in the league coming off a 2-14 season and created a juggernaut.

I've said he is a good coach.  I however have seen too many warts that hold this team back, and yes he is responsible for a # of them.

Enough about their top three defensive players, we get it.  However I do expect more from them regardless.  Again I only need to point to Cincy continuing to play well on offense last year stopping the Bills DL in the playoffs, without their 3 best OL's. 

Sometimes it is about coaching.

Edited by Billsfan1972
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Bob Jones said:

How many FGs vs TDs? Getting FGs in the red zone sucks, TBH about it.

I am honestly not sure. The site I looked at ranked it by scoring percent in the redzone but didn't break it down.  What I can tell you is that Josh Allen leads the league in TDs in the redzone with 18 (13 passing, 5 rushing.) This does not include running backs.

https://www.fantasypros.com/nfl/red-zone-stats/qb.php

• Like (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Other then for business or driving through on my way to Buffalo & Rochester I can't comment on NE Ohio as I've never lived there.  But the difference between NE and SW Ohio is like the difference between Western NY and Down State NY. 

Another interesting thing about SW Ohio is that it's a heavily Catholic area, not Baptist like you would get further south.  It's German Catholic as opposed to the Italian/Irish/Polish Catholicism of Western NY but the cultural impact on the city would remind folks of a place further north then south.

I'm dying for some German culture as this area has NONE... this area is Italian and Eastern European which is totally not the same. No German restaurants, closest I can get to the food is smoked kielbasa LOL

30 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yeah, losing an all-pro lb and cb, along with the starting dtackle that seemed to be pro bowl bound are nothing but excuses. No reasoning behind those thoughts. 
Some people might call those “excuses “ reasons.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1

11 minutes ago, SWATeam said:

Floyd has backed up Von almost identically. 

Last season we didn't have him.  

Last season AJE wasn't playing like this. 

Oliver's playing better this season.

Jones wasn't playing anything close to the way he was playing the first few games this season either, ever, in 9 prior seasons.  Doubtful he would have kept up that pace.  He didn't in 9 seasons otherwise where he was pretty average.

White for all intents and purposes hasn't been around since the 2021 season.

Milano's a huge loss.  Beane doesn't take nearly enough heat for that obvious potential situation.  They have exactly what they wanted, a bunch of diminutive LBs that specialize in pass coverage.  If they didn't want that, why did they put it together like that.  The fact that they (apparently) gave little if any thought to what happens should Milano get hurt is entirely on them.  

And McD, were keep being told, is some kind of defensive guru, despite fielding an average 17th ranked scoring D over 6 seasons in Carolina.  Yes for some reason poor Clappy will be hard pressed to put it all together.  

🙂

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Dopey said:

Yeah, losing an all-pro lb and cb, along with the starting dtackle that seemed to be pro bowl bound are nothing but excuses. No reasoning behind those thoughts. 
Some people might call those “excuses “ reasons.

Again teams need to adapt.  They f'ing let Mac Jones dissect them and lead a game winning TD drive the last two minutes.  That is a fireable offense!!!!😡😜

11 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Jones wasn't playing anything close to the way he was playing the first few games this season either, ever, in 9 prior seasons.  Doubtful he would have kept up that pace.  He didn't in 9 seasons otherwise where he was pretty average.

Milano's a huge loss.  Beane doesn't take nearly enough heat for that obvious potential situation.  They have exactly what they wanted, a bunch of diminutive LBs that specialize in pass coverage.  If they didn't want that, why did they put it together like that.  The fact that they (apparently) gave little if any thought to what happens should Milano get hurt is entirely on them.  

And McD, were keep being told, is some kind of defensive guru, despite fielding an average 17th ranked scoring D over 6 seasons in Carolina.  Yes for some reason poor Clappy will be hard pressed to put it all together.  

🙂

Shhhhh.....  Heresy to say such things.😜

22 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Who's making excuses???  You can't be serious.  This site is full of McD truthers who seems to think he took over the worst team in the league coming off a 2-14 season and created a juggernaut.

I've said he is a good coach.  I however have seen too many warts that hold this team back, and yes he is responsible for a # of them.

Enough about their top three defensive players, we get it.  However I do expect more from them regardless.  Again I only need to point to Cincy continuing to play well on offense last year stopping the Bills DL in the playoffs, without their 3 best OL's. 

Sometimes it is about coaching.

this is just weird to me.  you have such a hard on for the guy.  he's been a solid coach with faults like you said.  i'm not sure why it's such a sticking point with you.   look at the reasoning...you don't wnat to hear about the top 3-4 defensive players out?  why?  it's kind of a thing whether you like it or not.  you mentioned cincy's defense being vulnerable...why?  do you think the bills offense should march up and down the field.  and if you do think that, why wouldn't cincy do the same to our defense, especially with key players out.  they have to have an answer either way, but you're not looking at this with an equal playing field.  even if the bills were to win in a dominant fashion on sunday, you'll still find something that wasn't ok for  you.  i like the discussion, but discussing anything with you concerning coaching is different.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

🙂

So, what would you have done? Please be specific, cuz all you do is B word in general. About any and everything. 
What would the great @PBF81 have done to make sure every spot on this team is covered for injury with another starting caliber player? I mean every other team has that. Right?!?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Again teams need to adapt.  They f'ing let Mac Jones dissect them and lead a game winning TD drive the last two minutes.  That is a fireable offense!!!!😡😜

see...you play this game too hard.

I would like to outscore the living hell out of them, which in my book is putting the foot down on the freaking pedal and not even looking back to see what is going on until we've dropped 49 on them.

...but that is just me.  I'm all about the speed and the beat down.

I know that is not everyone's cup of tea as many of you around here are, "oh nooo, we gotta balance and be measured and we need to see the spread sheet where everybody gets the ball and we yada-yada-yada."

To each their own, and God bless you all, but I say let Allen be Allen and actually...I know I know, don't get upset...maybe we impose our will on them.

Go Bills.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Ok, let’s fire him. Now what?😂😂

11 minutes ago, teef said:

this is just weird to me.  you have such a hard on for the guy.  he's been a solid coach with faults like you said.  i'm not sure why it's such a sticking point with you.   look at the reasoning...you don't wnat to hear about the top 3-4 defensive players out?  why?  it's kind of a thing whether you like it or not.  you mentioned cincy's defense being vulnerable...why?  do you think the bills offense should march up and down the field.  and if you do think that, why wouldn't cincy do the same to our defense, especially with key players out.  they have to have an answer either way, but you're not looking at this with an equal playing field.  even if the bills were to win in a dominant fashion on sunday, you'll still find something that wasn't ok for  you.  i like the discussion, but discussing anything with you concerning coaching is different.  

Because he has already decided that is the answer. So he will twist any fault to lay it at coaching. And those of us that don't do that he accuses of being excuse makers. Despite the fact that we often do say "that's on coaching." Unless you say everything is on coaching then to @Billsfan1972 you are an excuse maker. Because what he is looking for is confirmation bias. That is also why he creates a classic strawman about his 2-14 team. I have never seen anybody on here make the argument that the Bills 2017 roster was a 2 win roster. 

Edited by GunnerBill
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

1 hour ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I'm supposed to always disagree with you based on our Josh conversations 😃 

100% on this. It certainly felt "Midwest" to me. I do enjoy that area a lot. Great place to be. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, teef said:

You're right I'm a Bills fan, absolutely right I'm looking from the Bills side.  I expect the Bills defense to step up as this right should be personal and they have not for 4-5 weeks.  So yes the defensive genius (Guru) should be able to come up with a solid plan, once every 5 week? 

50 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Yes, there are always injuries, but what happened with the Bills D is really catastrophic - their best player at each level of the defense, DB LB and DT, and on DT, losing DaQuan Jones is huge (literally and figuratively).  McD's defense critically depends on having a sound, strong 1TDT who is willing to stay gap-sound but go hard every play with little glory.  Jones was IMO exceptional at the role, and the pressure he produced enabled the ends to get home and the LB to stay clean and make plays.  Edmunds had a career year last season because Jones did so much better of a job at that over Star Ukelele.

Settle came with great excitement as a young player buried on Washington's exceptionally strong depth chart, but it turns out he deserved to be buried from what I've seen.  Poona Ford also came in with excitement since Carroll admitted to using him out of position last season and he'd been good before, but maybe he's just washed.

There's a lot that goes into winning an NFL season, and avoiding injuries at key positions is part of that.

54 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I have lived all around metro Detroit, southeast Michigan, Northern Ohio (Toledo Area) my whole life.  Cincinnati reminds me of the metro Detroit suburbs which are very clean and safe, but as a large city. We don't really have many nice clean downtowns like Cincinnati in the Midwest/ish area from what I have seen. Most our actual cities are dumps. I have heard good things about Columbus, but haven't spent anytime there. Chicago is great, but that's a monster, sort of in it's own category. 

1 hour ago, teef said:

They’re both vulnerable which is why I could see it going either way based on red zone defense..  for me it comes down to who can plug up the run without committing too many additional resources the best which was obviously cincy last year but this year I’m genuinely not sure.  Cincy is one of the worst rushing defenses in the league and we’ve gotten better running the football.  If SF had trent Williams/Deebo I think that bengals game would’ve been a very close shootout 

im really interested to see how we do against the cincy defense and the now nick Bolton-less chiefs.  We’re being hard on our offense from the TB game but Tampa is honestly one of the better defenses in the league.  They were very similar to the jets defense in all the advanced metrics before playing us but have now dropped a few spots 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

They’re both vulnerable which is why I could see it going either way based on red zone defense..  for me it comes down to who can plug up the run without committing too many additional resources the best which was obviously cincy last year but this year I’m genuinely not sure.  Cincy is one of the worst rushing defenses in the league and we’ve gotten better running the football.  If SF had trent Williams/Deebo I think that bengals game would’ve been a very close shootout 

It was a close game until Purdy decided to start handing the ball to the other team.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

It was a close game until Purdy decided to start handing the ball to the other team.

Yea I was gonna add that but I figured I’d get ‘josh Allen turns the ball over too’ in response 😂. Even with the turnovers I think sf probably puts up 550 yards and has a chance to win with Deebo/Trent Williams in there 

i don’t think there’s any question that our offense has a much higher ceiling than sf missing those two guys 

14 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Because he has already decided that is the answer. So he will twist any fault to lay it at coaching. And those of us that don't do that he accuses of being excuse makers. Despite the fact that we often do say "that's on coaching." Unless you say everything is on coaching then to @Billsfan1972 you are an excuse maker. Because what he is looking for is confirmation bias. That is also why he creates a classic strawman about his 2-14 team. I have never seen anybody on here make the argument that the Bills 2017 roster was a 2 win roster. 

boy did you sum him up as a poster perfectly.

again, i have zero problem with his opinion of this coaching staff, but he's not someone that can have a reasonable discussion about it.

31 minutes ago, Dopey said:

So, what would you have done? Please be specific, cuz all you do is B word in general. About any and everything. 
What would the great @PBF81 have done to make sure every spot on this team is covered for injury with another starting caliber player? I mean every other team has that. Right?!?

Doesn't matter what I would have done.

Beane's the one in charge.  

Put the tantrum on hold and send an e-mail to him asking why he preferred the players he's drafted.  

As a PS in your e-mail to him/them, feel free to ask why the offense is only playing to a fraction of it's potential, and relatedly, if it weren't, does he think that our overall play would be much better.  

BTW, of anyone on here, I've been vocal now for the past two days to draft a bigger starting LB.  

So your question to me isn't even a fair one.  

Edited by PBF81

8 minutes ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

im really interested to see how we do against the cincy defense and the now nick Bolton-less chiefs.  We’re being hard on our offense from the TB game but Tampa is honestly one of the better defenses in the league.  They were very similar to the jets defense in all the advanced metrics before playing us but have now dropped a few spots 

i thought the offense against tampa was solid although it went a bit stagnant.  i figured whoever wins sunday will win in a shoot out, which makes me nervous because cincy seems to be back on track.  i'm not sure where this bills team is right now.

25 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

You're right I'm a Bills fan, absolutely right I'm looking from the Bills side.  I expect the Bills defense to step up as this right should be personal and they have not for 4-5 weeks.  So yes the defensive genius (Guru) should be able to come up with a solid plan, once every 5 week? 

so the bills should be just as good on defense, regardless of the injuries?

• Like (+1) 1

I feel the same about this game as I did about the Miami game a few weeks ago.  While interested to see what happens, I am not going to overreact to whatever does happen because there is a good chance that we see them again in the Playoffs when it matters most.  Whether we win this game or lose this game, it isn't going to change anything about the way I feel about this season.  Win be double digits?  Great.....can we do it again when it actually matters.  Lose by double digits?  It's discouraging, but there's a good chance we see them again in the Playoffs and there is a lot of football to be played between now and then and it's likely that the teams that take the field Sunday night could be significantly different a couple months from now whether that is because of injuries or just how the teams are playing at that point.

So yeah....I'm looking forward to the game for sure.  I want to win badly.  I always want to win.  But if we don't, I'll be ready to take another swing at them in a couple months and try to end their season.  I am sure a lot of their fans may be thinking similarly.  It's a big game Sunday, but maybe not the biggest one they play this season.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, teef said:

i thought the offense against tampa was solid although it went a bit stagnant.  i figured whoever wins sunday will win in a shoot out, which makes me nervous because cincy seems to be back on track.  i'm not sure where this bills team is right now.

I think we’re at minimum considerably better in the trenches than we were in that playoff game so this game will be its own thing.  Doesn’t mean we’ll win though obviously 😂. At least some of the gloom on here seems to be ‘look what they did to us last time’ and the circumstances have changed quite a bit.  I do think no Hayden hurst will fiddle with their gameplan a bit too he was pretty heavily featured last year.  

if our pass rush steps up I could see a potential path to giving the bengals offense some resistance.  It’s not like we had a healthy von miller or Daquan jones last year either lol and who knows maybe the mini bye helps von out a bit. 

but yea your final sentence is the whole question…I don’t really know where either of these teams are literally anything could happen.  I’m not ready to crown the bengals just because they beat SF…SF with no Deebo or trent Williams is a 6 win team probably..  their oline is roughhhh outside of Williams he is a massive player to be down 

• Thank you (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

The bawling over our situation on D, besides besides lacking serious context, falls on deaf ears when our offense plays to half of its potential.  

I think it’s undeniable that the Bills defensive floor is lower with their current lineup. That means the offense has to carry the team, and they haven’t been as of late . That’s a serious problem going forward ; one that largely falls on scheme/ coaching imo. We saw improvements vs Tampa when they made a few changes to their approach - at least for 3 quarters.  They need to do more of this, not less as the schedule/ competition gets tougher down the stretch. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

Fans may not run the team, but fans sure as hell support the team and keep it viable. A piss poor product with all of the talent we have SHOULD be roundly criticized and OBD will hear about it.

Hate to break it to you, but the Bills roster is not all that talented.

Edited by boater

1 hour ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Why has SF offense struggled the last few weeks?

39 minutes ago, PBF81 said:

Doesn't matter what I would have done.

Beane's the one in charge.  

Put the tantrum on hold and send an e-mail to him asking why he preferred the players he's drafted.  

As a PS in your e-mail to him/them, feel free to ask why the offense is only playing to a fraction of it's potential, and relatedly, if it weren't, does he think that our overall play would be much better.  

BTW, of anyone on here, I've been vocal now for the past two days to draft a bigger starting LB.  

So your question to me isn't even a fair one.  

Before Milano's injury, there wasn't a better duo of linebackers in the NFL.  We don't need bigger linebackers, the speed is the difference.

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Why has SF offense struggled the last few weeks?

This past week they still put up numbers but the main reason they lost the last two games is the quarterback giving the ball away. Purdy has thrown 3 touchdowns and 5 interceptions the past 3 games....he had zero the first 5 games.

Deebo Samuel being hurt sunday did not help either.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.