TB / Buffalo Postgame thread

Simon

52 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

The reason it got so bad is despite the fact that the Bills should have clearly blown out the Bucs we somehow managed to find a way to potentially lose on the last play of the game. Having games like that every week is ***** exhausting.

On the positive the offense showed that it indeed can be very effective, they ran the fast tempo offense spreading the ball around giving Josh time to scan the defense and find the opening to dice them up. The Bucs slowed us down in the red zone through a combination of us going back to the bad play calling and them just having one of the best red zone defenses in the league. Defense also played well this game, they made a few mistakes but overall played a good game.

Problem was that once we got a 14 point lead in the second half, it seemed like we decided to stop doing what was working on offense to try and burn clock, which ironically did the opposite. So instead of a dominant win we watched the game end with us hanging on by our fingernails, and that's just frustrating. Which leads to fans to release that pent up frustration here.

Can agree with all that… but as I understand it, Josh likely aggravated his throwing shoulder.  So maybe the idea was… let’s run the ball, hang on, and get out of here with no more injuries.  ?? Bad idea?  Maybe.   But the notion that the McD is too conservative forgets all the games that they won by 3 or 4 scores, or all the times they have gone for it on 4th down, or basically anything based on reality and centers on… I don’t feel good about this.  

1 hour ago, SCBills said:

I have NEVER seen such a bad bounce game in my life.  

I still can’t get over the trifecta of Allen deflection, pick - Benford deflection, TD - Phillips deflection, 2 pt conversion. 

Add in a muffed recovery, ball bouncing directly back to Baker on a high snap, Phillips facemask… felt like we were cursed last night. 

But we won, despite the curse.

Isn't that good?

33 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

3 more points, any time in the 2nd half, and the game is over. Everyone can breathe. The vibe among the fanbase is totally different.

4 drives and we couldnt even get into FG range.

Yikes.

They scored right out the gate in the second half. 

I think you have to put what you are saying in proper perspective. Yes it's true about not scoring in the four drives.

The Bills were up 14 points. The Tampa offense didn't feel scary or dynamic. The 14 point lead pretty much felt insurmountable so long as the Bills didn't turn over the ball. I was satisfied with the Bills killing the clock and not taking unnecessary chances. I absolutely wanted them to punt on the two  4th and short opportunities. 

Ideally, you want to close out these games. At the same time, I was fine with not turning over the ball, punting , and seeing if Tampa could score two TDs. I really never felt like they would be successful. It got very scary but so many fluke things happened to get Tampa in that position. I doubt you see so many weird bounces, bad calls, or horrific penalties like that in a long time. 

The Bills were at home, up 14 points, vs a pretty poor offense, and Baker Mayfield isn't exactly Mahomes. 

Overall, I think the Bills offense was fine. They looked very good and different in a good way. Nice play calls, nice pace, diversity, and creative. Josh looked like Josh!!!

I usually look at the negative side of things when it comes to the Bills. This time I find myself strongly gravitating to the positive. This was the first time since the Miami game that I feel this offense just might be able to carry the team. That's exciting to this fan. 

Edited by newcam2012

16 hours ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

This guy punted 3x at midfield in the 4th quarter 

But, but, but he tried baiting them to jump every time. You know, the bait to jump off sides that we always do and everyone knows that's what we're trying to do.

Edited by Herc11

2 minutes ago, Dan said:

Can agree with all that… but as I understand it, Josh likely aggravated his throwing shoulder.  So maybe the idea was… let’s run the ball, hang on, and get out of here with no more injuries.  ?? Bad idea?  Maybe.   But the notion that the McD is too conservative forgets all the games that they won by 3 or 4 scores, or all the times they have gone for it on 4th down, or basically anything based on reality and centers on… I don’t feel good about this.  

I get what you're saying but both of our passing TDs came after that, Josh was still throwing just as well. McDermott has gone for it on 4th down in the past and I know he'll do it, the punting in those situations was the right call. The switching gears on offense and getting away from that up tempo offense that had been working all night wasn't. A 3 score lead is much better than a 2 score one, with a 2 score lead the other team scores a TD like they did and they're immediately breathing down your neck.

1 hour ago, Mango said:

One specific bright spot from last night wasn't just Davis, but it was the diversity of routes and depth that Davis ran last night. He didn't just have a good game he basically ran all over the field and caught everything thrown his way.

Special shout out to Shakir who seems to have a knack for finding green space. 

Even after I slept on it, I am very angry with Josh and Dorsey for costing me an 11 leg parlay. All they needed to do was throw the ball to Cook twice. One more pass to Cook. ONE! Come on guys.

Teams have played off of Davis knowing it takes some runway for him to get up to speed and his target depth is usually deeper.

The Bills used that cushion to their advantage, hitting Davis and letting him power his way to the sticks.

It was a good adjustment by Dorsey and the offense... 

• Like (+1) 3

18 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I think you have to put what you are saying in proper perspective. Yes it's true about not scoring in the four drives.

The Bills were up 14 points. The Tampa offense didn't feel scary or dynamic. The 14 point lead pretty much felt insurmountable so long as the Bills didn't turn over the ball. I was satisfied with the Bills killing the clock and not taking unnecessary chances. I absolutely wanted them to punt on the two  4th and short opportunities. 

Ideally, you want to close out these games. At the same time, I was fine with not turning over the ball, punting , and seeing if Tampa could score two TDs. I really never felt like they would be successful. It got very scary but so many fluke things happened to get Tampa in that position. I doubt you see so many weird bounces, bad calls, or horrific penalties like that in a long time. 

The Bills were at home, up 14 points, vs a pretty poor offense, and Baker Mayfield isn't exactly Mahomes. 

Overall, I think the Bills offense was fine. They looked very good and different in a good way. Nice play calls, nice pace, diversity, and creative. Josh looked like Josh!!!

I usually look at the negative side of things when it comes to the Bills. This time I find myself strongly gravitating to the positive. This was the first time since the Miami game that I feel this offense just might be able to carry the team. That's exciting to this fan. 

One of your better posts!!  : )  I came away with very similar sentiments.  Wasn't too worried at the end but also wasn't "loving it" - But we saw the emergence of some younger playmakers, including Shakir who I practically forgot existed, and Kincaid who I was expecting to catch fire with Knox out.  And I think it's clear that this was viewed as more or less of a "must win" so we saw Josh's legs more (I think they want to save that for later tough games/playoffs if they can).  And seeing the rhythm on offense was excellent and I'm sure we could have scored more if really needed.  And I don't recall ever seeing so many "50/50" situations go against us//fluky crap.  If the Bucs started that same long drive in the 4th 1,000 times, 75-80% of the time it would have stalled out completely or ended in a FG.  Now we get a 1.5 week rest.   

Edited by TheWei44
  • Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

We have seen this happen before and the Bills almost always win the game.  Kinda like the Sabres in that regard...they sometimes let the other team basically spend the entire 3rd period in their end defending a lead and it's completely nerve wracking at times, but since the start of last season the Sabres are undefeated in regulation when leading after 2 periods at 30-0-4. It might not always look pretty but it is effective and it's ultimately hard to argue with the end result, which is to win the game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, K-9 said:

When offensive holding occurs beyond the LOS, it’s a spot foul and marked 10 yards back from the spot of the infraction. In this case, the holding occurred two yards beyond the LOS resulting in the 1st and 18 down.

Ahh. Got it now. Thanks K-9 👍

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Big Turk said:

former NFL WR Donte Stallworth claims the Bills D "executed the defense of the Hail Mary perfectly".  But what the hell does he know?

It’s how every Hail Mary is defended…we were calling them stupid for not doing that on the hail Murray which wasn’t even a real Hail Mary 😂. The only way they’re calling a pi is if the ball is right on a receiver that’s getting held and the receiver can’t jump up to high point it due to the holding. 

it’s a play with a lot of receivers just standing around and you’re supposedly not allowed to box them out or impede the receivers moving around in the end zone?  

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

14 points is not a safe lead in this league nowadays. Need to be at least 3 scores up with 4-5min left before you can breathe easy.

Great they scored out of the gate to start the second half. Otherwise we lose.

Would have been nice to get into FG range any time after that is all I'm sayin.

Just now, DrDawkinstein said:

14 points is not a safe lead in this league nowadays. Need to be at least 3 scores up with 4-5min left before you can breathe easy.

14pts is a nice lead, but a 2 score lead is 1 TD from them being right at your throat again, 3 score and even if they do that you still have a gap to try and recover it or at least maintain the gap.

• Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

I get that. No one is really disputing that. I thought overall it was a good offensive performance and a good team win. Was it perfect? No Could they have put up more points to win easily? Yes Did they win an important game? Yes. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Big Turk said:

former NFL WR Donte Stallworth claims the Bills D "executed the defense of the Hail Mary perfectly".  But what the hell does he know?

Another interesting point, haven't seen the interview but heard it on WGR earlier, Godwin said the bills pressed him at the line and he couldn't get into position on time which is why he was late to get into the stack that they had set up.

13 minutes ago, Success said:

It's possible that I've never had a stronger, more vocal reaction to a sporting event than when Phillips got that facemask penalty.

That's really saying something.

Do you mean the crowd reaction live? Were you there? what was it like?

30 minutes ago, Success said:

It's possible that I've never had a stronger, more vocal reaction to a sporting event than when Phillips got that facemask penalty.

That's really saying something.

I screamed but I still didn't think the Bills would lose. 

My most recent roller coaster ride was the 13 sec game. Not sure I'm fully recovered from that to be honest. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I screamed but I still didn't think the Bills would lose. 

My most recent roller coaster ride was the 13 sec game. Not sure I'm fully recovered from that to be honest. 

I don't think I'll ever be really OVER that one, but it doesn't rile me up anymore.  The 'what ifs' will always be there.

But I'm in a place now where I truly appreciate how amazing that game was.  Best Bills game I've ever seen, and best game by a QB, even though we lost. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

What? WTH are you talking about? Bass was perfect. All the snaps were perfect. Kick returns were exciting! The punting was fantastic! What the hell game did you watch??

The one where we had flipped the field but penalties on punt returns flipped the field back in Tampas favor.  Bass made his field goals, but was kickoffs were short.  Maybe that was by design, I don't know.  Coverage was good. Punts were excellent.

• Eyeroll 1

16 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

That was the stupidest play of the game. You are up 14 knocking on field goal range and the clock is your friend why snap the ball before the quarter ends and effectively extend the game.

At worst you let the quarter run out and just run the ball and tick 40+ seconds off the game. Instead you take a sack and the game is 40 seconds longer

I'm guessing Morse snapped the football because the defender was Offside or he at least thought so.

• Agree 1

Just now, Scott7975 said:

I'm guessing Morse snapped the football because the defender was Offside or he at least thought so.

I get being aggressive but that's not the time to try to do something "cute". You are up 14 you have the ball just outside of field goal range on a 2nd and short. A field goal plus a couple more minutes off the clock sets you up to really win the game with a 3 possession lead with limited time left and a defense playing well. McD and Dorsey should have just let the quarter run out. You then even if they fail to convert 1.5 yards on two downs shorten the game by about 90 seconds (80 seconds on the play clock plus about 10 seconds it takes to run the plays) instead they extend a game and make it a much more difficult conversion. Two QB sneaks should get you the yards and once again allow you to grind some more clock and put Bass into FG range. 

Easily could have been a moment where you look up and there's only 11-12 minutes left and the Bills are up 17. Instead Tampa keeps it two scores and made it more tense than it needed to be. 

1 minute ago, billsfan89 said:

I get being aggressive but that's not the time to try to do something "cute". You are up 14 you have the ball just outside of field goal range on a 2nd and short. A field goal plus a couple more minutes off the clock sets you up to really win the game with a 3 possession lead with limited time left and a defense playing well. McD and Dorsey should have just let the quarter run out. You then even if they fail to convert 1.5 yards on two downs shorten the game by about 90 seconds (80 seconds on the play clock plus about 10 seconds it takes to run the plays) instead they extend a game and make it a much more difficult conversion. Two QB sneaks should get you the yards and once again allow you to grind some more clock and put Bass into FG range. 

Easily could have been a moment where you look up and there's only 11-12 minutes left and the Bills are up 17. Instead Tampa keeps it two scores and made it more tense than it needed to be. 

I get your point of view and I think it's fine.  I also think it's fine what they did.  Allen has drawn the Offside many times.  People just only remember that it looks like a waste of time when they don't or if something bad happens.  It was unfortunate but I am not bothered by it.  Also not bothered by your point of view either.

4 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I get your point of view and I think it's fine.  I also think it's fine what they did.  Allen has drawn the Offside many times.  People just only remember that it looks like a waste of time when they don't or if something bad happens.  It was unfortunate but I am not bothered by it.  Also not bothered by your point of view either.

I get your point of view and I understand being "aggressive". But just to sum it up one more time, with the clock on your side and only needing a field goal to make it a three-score lead the risk of something happening on that snap (as it did) was not worth the reward of getting 5 free yards. Just let the clock run out and shorten the game by another 40 seconds. I think the 100% chance of grinding off another 40 seconds at minimum was a better thing to do than the 5% chance you may get someone off-sides. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Success said:

I don't think I'll ever be really OVER that one, but it doesn't rile me up anymore.  The 'what ifs' will always be there.

But I'm in a place now where I truly appreciate how amazing that game was.  Best Bills game I've ever seen, and best game by a QB, even though we lost. 

To be honest I haven't seen a replay of the game. I just can't bare myself to watch it. Just too painful. 

1 minute ago, major said:

Neither has our team and coaches 

That's probably true too. 

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

To be honest I haven't seen a replay of the game. I just can't bare myself to watch it. Just too painful. 

I wont be able to watch it until we win a SB. Same with most clips from the 90s, and especially The Four Falls of Buffalo movie. Can't/Won't watch until after we win.

Maybe someday.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.