Rumors swirling that Elam will be a scratch tonight for Norman. Trade coming?

Roundybout

58 minutes ago, JMM said:

That still wouldn't be a reason yet to completely give up on the 21st overall pick at a position of need after a season and a half. Unfortunately I believe there is something much more here.

I'm not sure they view it as a position of need. They have two corners ahead of him who outplay him, who are good NFL starters.

1 hour ago, EasternOHBillsFan said:

BOTH at this point. WE NEED SARTAIN or someone at least serviceable, not some washed up guys.

Yes he is... the pressure is really building, and if our problems get any worse, he will be in the hot seat like Staley is. You can feel it. Get serious.

Followed up by an even dumber take. Keep going, you’re on a roll.

2 hours ago, JayBaller10 said:

It started last year when Xavier Rhodes was curiously active over Elam. Like you, I have to believe it goes beyond talent and potential. Something happened at OBD that we’re not privy to. 

Staff is very good at developing DBs so likely issue is him not following direction of staff.

• Like (+1) 1

I'll be the contrarian here... rather than dump a physically gifted young player for a late-round pick, hold onto him and hope later in the year or in year three he makes a breakthrough.

we saw him play well in his first year; I don't think he's a lost cause yet.

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I agree with most of this except the bolded.  Personally, I don't think we reached for him, he was mostly seen as a mid/late 1st to early 2nd type pick.  And technically, if we didn't take him in the first, we would have in the 2nd had he managed to slip there, so there was no plausible scenario he would have been a 3rd round pick.  

I didn’t think he was a 1st rd corner- especially for our system.  Doesn’t make sense unless he planned on playing more press man.

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I didn’t think he was a 1st rd corner- especially for our system.  Doesn’t make sense unless he planned on playing more press man.

I agree about that, but he wasn’t making it to the 3rd is all I was saying.  He would have been taken likely within the next 10 picks IMHO

8 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I agree about that, but he wasn’t making it to the 3rd is all I was saying.  He would have been taken likely within the next 10 picks IMHO

We have no clue where he was making it to.  We all thought Tariq woolen was a sure to 3 round guy. At least rd 4…..right?  Drafted rd 5. We have no clue.  Pure speculation based on predraft hype

9 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

I'll be the contrarian here... rather than dump a physically gifted young player for a late-round pick, hold onto him and hope later in the year or in year three he makes a breakthrough.

we saw him play well in his first year; I don't think he's a lost cause yet.

Let’s send this message to the “let’s trade AJE” crowd. 

3 hours ago, JGMcD2 said:

I don’t understand the fascination with trading away players. Depth is OK. 

He’s on a rookie deal, let it play out. He’s had highs and lows, but the desire to cut bait so quickly is a little out there. 

Depth is great when you have it…Unfortunately, Elam’s not even good enough to be depth…

With 2 starters injured vs the Jags, Elam still got benched…

So now, he’s essentially become less valuable to the team than the ball boy…

Edited by JaCrispy

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

We have no clue where he was making it to.  We all thought Tariq woolen was a sure to 3 round guy. At least rd 4…..right?  Drafted rd 5. We have no clue.  Pure speculation based on predraft hype

Breece and Tariq would've been a nice haul in that draft. I believe a certain poster envisioned this in his draft wish 😎

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, Solomon Grundy said:

Breece and Tariq would've been a nice haul in that draft. I believe a certain poster envisioned this in his draft wish 😎

Meh, we don’t need Breece Hall.

I’d rather have Tyler smith, Tyler linderbaum, jermaine Johnson, Pickens or Watson. 

everyone wanted woolen after rd 3

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

Depth is great when you have it…Unfortunately, Elam’s not even good enough to be depth…

With 2 starters injured vs the Jags, Elam still got benched…

So now, he’s essentially become less valuable to the team than the ball boy…

Holy Hyperbole Batman.

He’s cheap, young and talented. There’s clearly an issue and some sort of disconnect, but I’m not sure trading him helps this team. 

Just now, JGMcD2 said:

Holy Hyperbole Batman.

He’s cheap, young and talented. There’s clearly an issue and some sort of disconnect, but I’m not sure trading him helps this team. 

There’s definitely no winning in this situation for the Bills…

Elam will forever go down as the poster child for why you don’t ever  draft for need…

Just now, JaCrispy said:

Elam will forever go down as the poster child for why you don’t ever  draft for need…

Maybe, maybe not. That’s the point, the book isn’t written yet. For whatever reason you’re comfortable speaking in absolutes. 

If a 34 year old Josh Norman gets the call over Ilam that is not a good look at all ! I can't believe that this guy can't make it on the field after the game last season against the Fins some were raving how he stayed step for step with Hill .

He must really be missing something that the coaches are trying to get him to see i hope that maybe Beane can work a tad to get something for him maybe even the possibility of a trade like the one that brought Jerry Hughes here from Indy that would be a nice deal .

28 minutes ago, JaCrispy said:

It's not need that was the problem, it's scouting. The Bills thought he was great and even moved up to get him. He's not great at all and there were plenty of other CBs that went later that are better.   Elam was the top CB on their board at the time, so obviously their board was wrong.   That said, a lot of people got Elam wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

19 hours ago, Dr.Mantis_Toboggan said:

Hopefully they land Surtain, or at the very least Donte Jackson from Carolina at CB, and then maybe they can swing a deal for Renfrow? I feel like his and Knox’s contract are basically they same $, Idk how the guarantees affect deals, but cap #’s are very similar for the two. 

Renfrow definitely not worth the money! He’s also not the same player anymore 

3 hours ago, NewEra said:

True, but Woolen came from a small school, harder to tell where they will go.  So you’re right, he could have gone anywhere, but he was more likely going late first to early 2nd based was all I was saying.  He wasn’t a teach based on expected draft slot.  

Easy to call it that now, but on draft night he wasn’t considered a reach is my only point.  

2 hours ago, damj said:

I'll give credit where credit is due. Norman did look good last night on special teams

Pretty hard to look bad when it’s a no thought play where you aren’t relying on a plethora on things on top of fluidity. Stay in your lane. Worry about 1 guy. 

15 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

True, but Woolen came from a small school, harder to tell where they will go.  So you’re right, he could have gone anywhere, but he was more likely going late first to early 2nd based was all I was saying.  He wasn’t a teach based on expected draft slot.  

Easy to call it that now, but on draft night he wasn’t considered a reach is my only point.  

“A reach” is subjective on who you talk to.  I thought he was considered a reach 💯 I was furious with the pick.  

The only reason I was somewhat on board with the pick was I because I was hoping we’d start being more multiple on defense and mix in more man and press.  He was coming off a poor season at Florida in which he was very handsy and was poor in run support.  

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

Maybe, maybe not. That’s the point, the book isn’t written yet. For whatever reason you’re comfortable speaking in absolutes. 

This.  It ain't written yet. 

He could still be really good in Buffalo. Or not.

Remember last year and last off-season, when Bernard was a massive miss?

And when Epenesa was a bust. Anyone with any kind of memory for the overstatements, oversimplifications and early conclusions on here could go on and on and on. And on.

1 hour ago, JGMcD2 said:

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

Sure, why not…😉

Makes you more likely to be wrong. That's the reason.

I see the wink, but ...

Edited by Thurman#1
  • Like (+1) 1

20 hours ago, NewEra said:

But we have no idea how he was handled.  Pure speculation.

No other teams would play Benford and Jackson over Elam?  Get a grip.  You’re about to drive off the edge with this nonsense.  Benford is pretty good.  Jackson has been improving season after season.  Both are great tacklers. 

Elam was a press man corner that sucked at tackling. He’s always had problems being too handsy.  If we didn’t reach for him, he may have been a 3rd rd pick.  His upside is in his physical ability and that’s all.  He has an opportunity vs Jax and was able to get smoked on every 3rd down he was targeted

Um, yeah, it's very true that we don't really know where guys were for sure or where they would have been drafted.

But there's no particular reason to think Elam would have fallen far.

He was #29 on PFF's big board.

TheAthletic do a consensus Big Board each year combining the Big Boards of 82 top evaluators, which generally does better than nearly all individual experts.

https://theathletic.com/3262402/2022/04/26/nfl-draft-consensus-big-board/

Elam was listed 30th.

This doesn't prove he wouldn't have made it into the 3rd round. It does make it as likely as it could be that he would not have.

• Thank you (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.