Bills vs Tampa Bay. On to Week 8

BuffaloBillyG

1 minute ago, Big Turk said:

This goes back to them not respecting Allen when he escapes the pocket anymore as a runner.  They basically know he isn't going to take off now so they don't worry about trying to run up to stop him from picking up big yards.  They run back and cover the receivers instead, making those easy throws downfield that were so open last year much tighter windows that now often are incomplete.  

The way they fix it?  Get Allen on a few runs outside the pocket early in games and force those defenders to respect him running in those situations, even if he wants to throw it...they are closing the windows themselves on their passing lanes by not using his legs.

Yeah this.  IT is also on Allen a bit.  I lost count how many times he gets to the top of the drop and starts hitching instead of throwing it.  The play I will point to on this because it was a HUGE ONE.  Top of Drop Knox clearly is going to beat the coverage out of the break.  That ball needed to go then.   Instead Josh Holds and forced to flush (he does this alot this year even with NO pressure) making it now a half field defense, and Boom what was an EASY throw and catch by knox turns into your Hands Questionable TE into a Contested Catch.  

End of the Day you want to get teams out of the shell, BEAT the shell in the seam with Kincaid, until that starts to happen regularly this offense will continue to have Defenses Dictate to them how they are going to play the game.

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

Yeah this.  IT is also on Allen a bit.  I lost count how many times he gets to the top of the drop and starts hitching instead of throwing it.  The play I will point to on this because it was a HUGE ONE.  Top of Drop Knox clearly is going to beat the coverage out of the break.  That ball needed to go then.   Instead Josh Holds and forced to flush (he does this alot this year even with NO pressure) making it now a half field defense, and Boom what was an EASY throw and catch by knox turns into your Hands Questionable TE into a Contested Catch.  

End of the Day you want to get teams out of the shell, BEAT the shell in the seam with Kincaid, until that starts to happen regularly this offense will continue to have Defenses Dictate to them how they are going to play the game.

I think that Josh doesn't trust the scheme. He wants to see the guy actually open before he throws it. Guys like Tua throw to spots all the time and trust their receivers to be in that spot by the time the ball gets there. I was just reading the Josh Allen draft night thread in the archives (thank god I didn't post my thoughts), and some of the concerns are still there a tiny bit. Josh has gotten a lot more accurate but he still tends to hit guys and not spots. He doesn't lead receivers so that they can get YAC. He hits them in the numbers. Maybe they don't run the seam route because that pass requires a QB to throw with touch and lead the receiver?

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, FrenchConnection said:

I think that Josh doesn't trust the scheme. He wants to see the guy actually open before he throws it. Guys like Tua throw to spots all the time and trust their receivers to be in that spot by the time the ball gets there. I was just reading the Josh Allen draft night thread in the archives (thank god I didn't post my thoughts), and some of the concerns are still there a tiny bit. Josh has gotten a lot more accurate but he still tends to hit guys and not spots. He doesn't lead receivers so that they can get YAC. He hits them in the numbers. Maybe they don't run the seam route because that pass requires a QB to throw with touch and lead the receiver?

This is make believe. Josh's anticipation has been excellent this year, it's a big reason why his efficiency is up. Any time we weren't whiffing on blocks and taking penalties yesterday, we walked down the field

3 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

I’m Going to the game Thursday. Will fans be doom and gloom or is it just a two hills drive thing? 

I think the very hard core fans reside here and are mostly unforgiving.  

Most of the people going, will root hard and treat the game as a fun time, which is what it’s supposed to be. Not doom and gloom.

• Like (+1) 1

41 minutes ago, Success said:

A "Get Righter" if there ever was one..

I simply don't see us losing this game, unless I've entered a parallel universe where nothing that formerly made sense does anymore.

Get a mini-bye, then a chance at the Bengals again. That's a team that is struggling as bad us we are.  We can right this ship in the next few weeks..

Not with you at all here. Sure we can win. But off the short week against a good defense, if we do pull off the victory it seems highly unlikely to be of the "get right" variety. We're looking at another ugly game that is basically a tossup. 

3 minutes ago, buffblue said:

Not with you at all here. Sure we can win. But off the short week against a good defense, if we do pull off the victory it seems highly unlikely to be of the "get right" variety. We're looking at another ugly game that is basically a tossup. 

This will be a close game. I read the Bucs have the #1 red zone  defense. It will be challenging for the Bills to get TD's unless they get them off of big plays.

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, Gregg said:

This will be a close game. I read the Bucs have the #1 red zone  defense. It will be challenging for the Bills to get TD's unless they get them off of big plays.

Bucs are coming off two straight losses and just lost to the Falcons at home 16-13. They need this win as badly as the Bills do. Should be some fireworks on Thursday night.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Success said:

Fans gotta show up for this one.  This team is having a crisis of confidence right now.  A loud stadium on Thursday will be a boost.

It will be loud one way or another. Another lackluster performance and the boo birds will be out in full force. 

Just now, Success said:

Fans gotta show up for this one.  This team is having a crisis of confidence right now.  A loud stadium on Thursday will be a boost.

I'll be there with my son. I haven't been to a game at Rich/Ralph/New Era/Highmark Stadium since the playoff game against the Houston Oilers 1/1/1989. That's the game before the Bills got Ickey Shuffled all over at Riverfront. 

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Every Thursday night game is close and poorly played. The goal is do what it takes to pull out a W. 

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Then my concern would be why Did Josh greenlight Dorsey and the Scheme?

28 minutes ago, JohnnyBuffalo said:

At home….how soon do the boo birds come out if the offense struggles?

Hopefully this game against Tampa will ignite the team as it did 2 years ago!

My guess is the first 3 and out to start the game, the boo birds will be loud AF.

2 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

Funny enough, the Bills are still favored by 7.5.

I bet you see a lot of money come in on the Bucs at that number.  I wouldn't touch that spread at all.  I might want to hammer the under whatever that is, though.

5 minutes ago, Bills!Win! said:

How did the Buccaneers lose to the falcons?

Close division game that came down to a final drive where the Falcons kicked the game-winning FG after the Bucs tied it up with 45 seconds to go. Crazy thing is that Bijan only had a single rushing attempt because he was sick.

Bills have been the 2nd best offense in the NFL in EPA/play over the last 3 weeks. Let that sink in for a minute.  The problems are not always what you think...

Yes, the offense hasn't been good in the 1st half.  They have been near unstoppable in the 2nd half but are being hindered on D since they are not getting enough possessions.  They need to simply start playing better off each other as a team and they will again turn back into a juggernaut.

• Shocked 2

2 hours ago, zow2 said:

I think the very hard core fans reside here and are mostly unforgiving.  

Most of the people going, will root hard and treat the game as a fun time, which is what it’s supposed to be. Not doom and gloom.

Yes but they are there for the party big event like a concert. They aren’t really big sports fans there what I call big event party people that want to just eat and drink in a large social gathering. Again nothing wrong with that but there not really having a in depth conversation about the game itself. Just like the teams need the party big event fans they can’t just have them only. I am sure the teams wish they could because they are easy to please with no team standards. But you lose them if the teams don’t have hard core sports fans with standards because then seats are empty and the party people are the first to run away if the stadium is half empty because then it isn’t a big event anymore in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Let Allen play like himself and not some Herbert Clone who never wants to use his legs anymore to pick up chunks.

I agree, win or lose I'd prefer the old Josh running around making plays. Yes they'll be mistakes but this castrated version of Josh is painful to watch. It's not like McD is ever going to take the OL seriously. Dorsey needs to be fired after this season so Sean can use up his very last "scapegoat coupon".

Edited by LABILLBACKER
  • Agree 1

I might be seeing something that isn't there, but Torrence shoots his arm forward before almost every snap.. I've never noticed this sort of thing before but it seems like other teams have players doing the same thing.  Has this always been a thing and I've missed it?  Or is it some new trend with the college kids?  Anyway, it seems like at least 9 out of every 10 plays he does this within a second of the ball being snapped.  Any chance the opposing D are using this to get a jump on the snap?

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, GottaRun said:

I might be seeing something that isn't there, but Torrence shoots his arm forward before almost every snap.. I've never noticed this sort of thing before but it seems like other teams have players doing the same thing.  Has this always been a thing and I've missed it?  Or is it some new trend with the college kids?  Anyway, it seems like at least 9 out of every 10 plays he does this within a second of the ball being snapped.  Any chance the opposing D are using this to get a jump on the snap?

That's a silent snap count to alert the other OL the ball is being snapped.  Every team has a guard that does it when they are on the road. Chargers do it every game since they play 17 road games a year.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, uticaclub said:

I sometimes put $100 on the opponent's money line. If someone said to me “Hey, give me $100 and the Bills are guaranteed to win.” Done. And if the Bills lose then my Sunday is pretty much paid for (if I don't attend a game)

Mitigating risk, well played :)

4 hours ago, Big Turk said:

Bills simply need to start faster in the 1st half and a lot of this goes away.  

The last 9 "real" possessions in the 2nd half of the last 3 games? 7 TDs, 1 missed FG, 1 turnover on downs after gaining 42 yards and going for it on 4th down in NE territory.  That's high level production.  If anything, the D not giving them more opportunities in the 2nd half and allowing far too many long drives is killing them. If the D gets a stop or 2 in any of those games, the Bills win going away.

Simply need to get this going earlier and stop trying to force Allen to be a Herbert clone.

this does not sound like the Bills team I have been watching the last 3 weeks 

3 minutes ago, LifeLongBillsFan said:

this does not sound like the Bills team I have been watching the last 3 weeks 

You need to pay attention closer then.  They have been near unstoppable in the 2nd halves which is further cemented by the fact that in those 3 games the Bills are 2nd in the NFL in EPA/play on offense only behind KC.  It doesn't seem like it because they aren't getting many possessions. When they do, they are scoring TDs almost every time. 1st halves they suck.  2nd halves, they have been scoring at will even if the drives are taking longer than we are used to.

Edited by Big Turk

4 hours ago, Negan said:

I can already hear the Boo's after the first 3 and out Thursday night on the first possession.

3 and out is better than a turnover on the first possession.

I’ll be taking TB + the points. Might even make $ AND enjoy a Bills win. 

• Like (+1) 1

The simple solution to ending this misery is let Josh be Josh... and the rest will follow.

Enough with being as soft as Charmin and go out and punch Tampa in the mouth and take control of the game early.

If they come out flat again, the boo birds at Rich Stadium will be louder than ever. 

This week is only the second time there will be a record 10 inter-conference games since the merger (the other was 2016). Tampa Bay at Buffalo is the first of those 10 games.

The Bucs will be making just their third visit to Buffalo, with the first not coming until the 2009 season.

This is only the second head-to-head meeting between Josh and Baker Mayfield. The first was a loss in 2019 to the Cleveland Browns, 6-3.

Edited by chongli

4 days isn't much time. 

I wonder if we will notice anything different on offense. 

Shakir's playing time is increasing week over week, Gabe at 96% snap count, Harty still below 20% snap count. 

I don't want to see Cook/Murray rush any more than they did in New England, 17 attempts combined. 

Just now, Casey D said:

It's horrible when you have absolutely no control or input into something that matters a great deal to you.  The life of a Bills fan.

That's the life of any sports fan. Maybe I would feel more in control if I had been born in Kansas City or Boston, but I don't have any idea what that would be like. 

7 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

That's the life of any sports fan. Maybe I would feel more in control if I had been born in Kansas City or Boston, but I don't have any idea what that would be like. 

Me either.  Despite the futility, I like being a Bills fan.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.