Ben Johnson

PayDaBill$

Just spit ballin’…. Can we $h1tcan McD and make an offer for Ben Johnson in the offseason. JA’s an attractive commodity going to waste under this current regime.

Much rather have an offensive mined younger HC.

Thoughts…….

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The way we’re playing and with the upcoming schedule I’m not looking for things to improve. A collapse is a distinct possibility.  We’re wasting JA with coaches.

I’d say we have a good nucleus with JA to make it attractive for someone like BJ.

Edited by PayDaBill$
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

They’re not changing anything in season short of an all out collapse. A new OC in the offseason is looking probable though. Not getting a guy that’s an HC candidate as OC though. 

Just now, PayDaBill$ said:

I’d say we have a good nucleus with JA to make it attractive for someone like BJ.

Most OC’s would give their left nut to have Allen as their QB. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

They’re not changing anything in season short of an all out collapse. A new OC in the offseason is looking probable though. Not getting a guy that’s an HC candidate as OC though. 

Most OC’s would give their left nut to have Allen as their QB. 

Not talking in season.

Most head coaches would give both nuts to have JA on roster.

Edited by PayDaBill$

1 minute ago, Success said:

Every team that's looking for a coach wants Johnson.

And we're not moving on from McD, unless this team really collapses.

I tend to agree with this. 

I know I beat this drum all the time, but after 12 years of Sabres futility, the Pegula’s replacing any combination of McBean scare the shirt out of me. 

I wouldn’t be shocked if McD is retained but we get a DC and new OC. 

I do think it a proven NFL commodity like Jim Harbaugh becomes available, the Bills make a switch. I don’t think (hope?) the Bills make a change for the sake of change without being pretty buttoned up heading into the process. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

Ben Johnson has a lot of the same problems that Dorsey has. His offense is Goff and St. Brown. St. Brown is getting around 12 catches a game while everyone else has less than 5. They're struggling to work Jameson Williams and Jamir Gibbs into the offense. Everyone loved Sam LaPorta, but he has not gotten the ball in the past two games at the same rate. If that was the Bills, you would be yelling about the scheme. I'm not saying that he's not a good OC, but you have to look at his offense with the same level of criticism as you do the Bills offense and Dorsey. 

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

If I had to predict what will happen at this point is that Terry will give Beane and McDermott, the 2024 season. If they fail to improve next year, then both are probably on the hot seat and a house cleaning could take place. Terry needs a good product on the field with the new stadium on the way. With massive price increases coming and PSL fees I am sure Bills fans will want to spend their money on a losing product with HC that many no longer believe in.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

I know I beat this drum all the time, but after 12 years of Sabres futility, the Pegula’s replacing any combination of McBean scare the shirt out of me. 

Fear of failure should never guide decisions.  

4 minutes ago, Mango said:

I wouldn’t be shocked if McD is retained but we get a DC and new OC. 

Who's left from McD's time at Carolina that he hasn't hired?  I think he's got everyone here now.  

... and we wonder what the problems are.  LOL. 

Here's the catch-22, he'll never hire anyone that's good enough to replace him.  

Hasn't happened yet.  

4 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Ben Johnson has a lot of the same problems that Dorsey has. His offense is Goff and St. Brown. St. Brown is getting around 12 catches a game while everyone else has less than 5. They're struggling to work Jameson Williams and Jamir Gibbs into the offense. Everyone loved Sam LaPorta, but he has not gotten the ball in the past two games at the same rate. If that was the Bills, you would be yelling about the scheme. I'm not saying that he's not a good OC, but you have to look at his offense with the same level of criticism as you do the Bills offense and Dorsey. 

There's a significant gap in the toolsets of Goff vs. Allen though.  

1 minute ago, PBF81 said:

There's a significant gap in the toolsets of Goff vs. Allen though.  

Of course there is. What I'm saying is that I don't see Shanahan/McDaniel levels of offensive scheming with Detroit. What I see is a great OL that allows for a strong running game and a team with one WR in the passing game. If the Bills are making a change, I want one of those guys that can win with scheme. The BIlls should have fired McDermott after 13 seconds and hired Doug Pederson, but that's all water under the bridge now.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

15 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

And you do have the inherent unknown that comes with HC being a completely different job than OC. I understand the worries with Sean at the helm, but I am also scared of Terry making these decisions given the field of available candidates. Ben Johnson is clearly a top notch offensive mind, but we are far from having things fixed just by virtue of naming that guy head coach, and the room for decline is a LOT more spacious than the room for improvement with the Bills of the last 3 years 

9 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Of course there is. What I'm saying is that I don't see Shanahan/McDaniel levels of offensive scheming with Detroit. What I see is a great OL that allows for a strong running game and a team with one WR in the passing game. If the Bills are making a change, I want one of those guys that can win with scheme. 

This is 100% true. He has a really creative run scheme. But his offensive passing scheme is more about keeping it simple and leaning into what his players do well. I think this is encouraging for his future as a Head Coach though. Because understanding your players' strengths and designing a gameplan around them is part of the job. 

Edited by GunnerBill

Johnson has done a good job in Detroit. Hes also unproven. I’m not sold he’s this guaranteed success as a head coach some think. As a coordinator I respect his game, he will not give up the run game and that’s a trend that’s hurting the league right now imo. 

30 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Just spit ballin’…. Can we $h1tcan McD and make an offer for Ben Johnson in the offseason. JA’s an attractive commodity going to waste under this current regime.

Much rather have an offensive mined younger HC.

Thoughts…….

The only reservation is who does he bring in as DC? As I don't someone bringing in a 34 guy when it doesn't fit out personnel.

Just now, BringBackFergy said:

Ohhhh, a Ben Johnson thread.

Yeah, he has a cool name.  That's typically what TBD'rs look for and rally around as a new candidate.

Is this the same Ben Johnson who put up 6 pts against the Ravens this week?

Sign me up!!!

If a cool name is what you want, how about former Lions OC Jim Bob Cooter?

3 minutes ago, Franco_92 said:

And you do have the inherent unknown that comes with HC being a completely different job than OC. I understand the worries with Sean at the helm, but I am also scared of Terry making these decisions given the field of available candidates. Ben Johnson is clearly a top notch offensive mind, but we are far from having things fixed just by virtue of naming that guy head coach, and the room for decline is a LOT more spacious than the room for improvement with the Bills of the last 3 years 

Let's assume Terry does clean house. If I were Terry, I would look to organizations that know how to draft and develop their own players very well. Someone from the Eagles, Ravens, 49ers as an example. Those are some of the teams who have a reputation as having some of the best management teams in the league. That is who I would look to hire from. Hire them to run the football ops. Let them make the decision on hiring the new GM. Then both he and the new GM can hire the new HC. 

7 minutes ago, Virgil said:

To be clear, we want a Detroit Lions offensive coordinator as our Head Coach?

I just wanted that to be put in print

On a day after they got killed 38-6.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

My goodness. Why do we always have to fire everyone when they have a bad game or a bad stretch? I will never understand this.

There may be a discussion at the end of the season but ups and downs are part of an NFL season. We’ll see how they respond to this.

McDermott has been here 7 years, and this team has been trending down since 13 seconds. I think the fanbase is justified in wanting a change. 

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Let's assume Terry does clean house. If I were Terry, I would look to organizations that know how to draft and develop their own players very well. Someone from the Eagles, Ravens, 49ers as an example. Those are some of the teams who have a reputation as having some of the best management teams in the league. That is who I would look to hire from. Hire them to run the football ops. Let them make the decision on hiring the new GM. Then both he and the new GM can hire the new HC. 

You are not Terry. Terry does not want to let Rex Ryan out of the building. Terry was fooled by Ralph Krueger's slimy sales pitches. Terry doesn't actually know much about football and we should be worried whenever the time comes for him to pick the next guy. 

• Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

My goodness. Why do we always have to fire everyone when they have a bad game or a bad stretch? I will never understand this.

There may be a discussion at the end of the season but ups and downs are part of an NFL season. We’ll see how they respond to this.

Bills fans are uniquely ill-suited to handle this for whatever reason

With the defensive injuries I think regardless if they lost every game McDermott would be back… Ben Johnson is going to want to be a head coach so that would be a sticking point. 

If you want a new offensive coordinator to take over you’re going to have to look for someone who would be available for the Bills. The guy who maybe looking to move up and might be perfect for this team is Brian Griese the QB coach in San Francisco.  

• Like (+1) 1

43 minutes ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Most head coaches would give both nuts to have JA on roster.

Not McDermott. He would be satisfied with anyone who can hand the ball off, not take sacks, and get close enough to the end zone so they can kick a field goal. He has one of the most effective running quarterbacks in NFL history, and he wants him to be a pocket passer. 

7 minutes ago, Gregg said:

McDermott has been here 7 years, and this team has been trending down since 13 seconds. I think the fanbase is justified in wanting a change. 

We’ve won 3 straight AFC East titles. Yes there’s a conversation to be had if they fail to win a 4th or fail to advance in the playoffs but the lack of respect for the Bills coaching staff is pretty embarrassing.

19 minutes ago, Gregg said:

Goff or Allen?  Come on now lol

52 minutes ago, Success said:

Every team that's looking for a coach wants Johnson.

And we're not moving on from McD, unless this team really collapses.

But the key here is what defines a "collapse"?  To me not making the playoffs would potentially count as a collapse depending on the circumstances.  But if Allen stays relatively healthy and we win less then 10 games and miss the playoffs I would call it a "collapse" from where we have been the last 4 seasons.

In that situation I would support Pegula taking the very risky move of firing McD & Bean and placing the franchise under the control of offensive minded coaches & GM.

We may only have peak Allen for 5 more years.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We’ve won 3 straight AFC East titles. Yes there’s a conversation to be had if they fail to win a 4th or fail to advance in the playoffs but the lack of respect for the Bills coaching staff is pretty embarrassing.

It's spot on amd warranted. SUPERBOWL is the goal, not AFCE title. 

• Agree 1

48 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

Dude they almost scored 10 points just yesterday.  Obviously Ben Johnson is the answer to everything.

25 minutes ago, DrDawkinstein said:

Bold thread the day after Ben Johnson's offense managed to score a total of 6 points.

Why even post this?

Every coach will have a dud now and then. The key is not having them repeatedly.

Ben is the hottest coach in the world right now because of incredibly consistent and inventive his offense has been.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.