Ben Johnson

PayDaBill$

57 minutes ago, Success said:

Every team that's looking for a coach wants Johnson.

And we're not moving on from McD, unless this team really collapses.

But not every team has Josh Allen.  

The one obstacle we have is McDermott.  

4 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We’ve won 3 straight AFC East titles. Yes there’s a conversation to be had if they fail to win a 4th or fail to advance in the playoffs but the lack of respect for the Bills coaching staff is pretty embarrassing.

Regular season success is nice, and McDermott did get the franchise turned around. But the playoff failures are getting old. The bigger problem here is the team has been declining since 13 seconds. 

• Agree 2

59 minutes ago, Success said:

My take:

- if we miss the playoffs, 80% chance McD (and probably Beane) is gone.

- if we go one-and-done, 50% chance

- if we make it to the AFCG, 0% chance

That's just kind of the way it goes. If your team takes a significant step back, you're usually on thin ice.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

5 minutes ago, NewEra said:

But not every team has Josh Allen.  

The one obstacle we have is McDermott.  

This is correct, but I've been so torn on it. 

I don't think he's a bad coach. I think he's average, and does some things really well. There is a lot of BAD coaching in the league. There is very little great coaching.

I just don't know who we replace him with.  I don't think you roll the dice on a hot OC or DC and hope for the best.  More often than not, those hires don't work. So, it would have to be someone "proven."

And who is that? Belichick if he gets fired, I suppose.  But that's another D-minded guy. I'd hire Daboll if the Giants let him go.

Edited by Success
  • Agree 1

37 minutes ago, BringBackFergy said:

Ohhhh, a Ben Johnson thread.

Yeah, he has a cool name.  That's typically what TBD'rs look for and rally around as a new candidate.

Is this the same Ben Johnson who put up 6 pts against the Ravens this week?

Sign me up!!!

I thought we were talking about the Canadian sprinter that got banned from the Olympics for using anabolic steroids 

10 minutes ago, Success said:

This is correct, but I've been so torn on it. 

I don't think he's a bad coach. I think he's average, and does some things really well. There is a lot of BAD coaching in the league. There is very little great coaching.

I just don't know who we replace him with.  I don't think you roll the dice on a hot OC or DC and hope for the best.  More often than not, those hires don't work. So, it would have to be someone "proven."

And who is that? Belichick if he gets fired, I suppose.  But that's another D-minded guy. I'd hire Daboll if the Giants let him go.

I agree.  I think McD  a good coach.  I think he’s a borderline great DC (he wasn’t yesterday) and I’m a big fan of the guy.  

but as a defensive head coach, whom he hires as OC will likely make or break him.  His choice of Dorsey, imo, could end his tenure with the Bills.  Rookie OC that’s never called plays to lead the Super Bowl favorite.  The rookie OC then has a healthy offense come playoffs, only to put up a massive clunker on the season ending loss at home.  Year 2- leading his offense to 4 underwhelming performances and 3 great performances.  

If we get rid of Dorsey and some hire hire a great OC that just so happens to be looking for a job, he’ll probably be hired away in 1-2 years and Josh will be learning another offense of learning from another first year play caller.

I’d rather roll the dice with an impressive young offensive mind what will be the constant voice in his ear…..as opposed to having different voices every year or 2.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

1 hour ago, Success said:

then I hope for a total collapse.  

Johnson has been great, and we would be the top pick for any offensive minded HC.  We could promote Babich to DC.  

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I tend to agree with this. 

I know I beat this drum all the time, but after 12 years of Sabres futility, the Pegula’s replacing any combination of McBean scare the shirt out of me. 

I wouldn’t be shocked if McD is retained but we get a DC and new OC. 

I do think it a proven NFL commodity like Jim Harbaugh becomes available, the Bills make a switch. I don’t think (hope?) the Bills make a change for the sake of change without being pretty buttoned up heading into the process. 

Yep. If the season continues like this and we miss the playoffs Dorsey will be the fall guy. 

1 hour ago, Mango said:

I tend to agree with this. 

I know I beat this drum all the time, but after 12 years of Sabres futility, the Pegula’s replacing any combination of McBean scare the shirt out of me. 

I wouldn’t be shocked if McD is retained but we get a DC and new OC. 

I do think it a proven NFL commodity like Jim Harbaugh becomes available, the Bills make a switch. I don’t think (hope?) the Bills make a change for the sake of change without being pretty buttoned up heading into the process. 

Agreed.  Pegs hiring coaches scares me. 

But a new OC and DC with McD still there makes me wonder how much control the DC would have.  

Who do we get for OC?  

Perhaps keep Bean on to hire the new HC?  

4 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Yep. If the season continues like this and we miss the playoffs Dorsey will be the fall guy. 

McD always has his fall guy.  Nothing is ever this "leaders" fault.  "What happened," "no idea".  13 seconds: ST coach.  Last year, Frazier (who should have been gone prior).  This year, your right, likely Dorsey, who will be replaced with another horsey.  

8 minutes ago, NewEra said:

I agree.  I think McD  a good coach.  I think he’s a borderline great DC (he wasn’t yesterday) and I’m a big fan of the guy.  

but as a defensive head coach, whom he hires as OC will likely make or break him.  His choice of Dorsey, imo, could end his tenure with the Bills.  Rookie OC that’s never called plays to lead the Super Bowl favorite.  The rookie OC then has a healthy offense come playoffs, only to put up a massive clunker on the season ending loss at home.  Year 2- leading his offense to 4 underwhelming performances and 3 great performances.  

If we get rid of Dorsey and some hire hire a great OC that just so happens to be looking for a job, he’ll probably be hired away in 1-2 years and Josh will be learning another offense of learning from another first year play caller.

I’d rather roll the dice with an impressive young offensive mind what will be the constant voice in his ear…..as opposed to having different voices every year or 2.

I wouldn't call the Commanders game a great performance offensively, personally.  It was fine, but we had 16 points in the 4th Q.

But otherwise 100% agree.

39 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

We’ve won 3 straight AFC East titles. Yes there’s a conversation to be had if they fail to win a 4th or fail to advance in the playoffs but the lack of respect for the Bills coaching staff is pretty embarrassing.

respect for what?  Is there a trophy for winning the AFC East title?  I mean, look who is in our division?  Who cares about winning it.  Means nothing.  Great job being slightly above average with a top 2 QB, that actually is quite the accomplishment.  

6 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Then can we score 6 points vs Baltimore?    Just saying, it does not matter who the OC is here, first sign of trouble, it will be "fire that guy".

I am gonna start the "Fire Ben Johnson" thread now since I have a few minutes.

still wearing all your "AFC East" Champ shirts around proudly?  

Just now, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Super Bowl is always the goal. You don’t fire coaches for not making a Super Bowl. 

your fire them if they are regressing and their teams look clueless out there with a top 2 QB.  That's where we are currently.  It's not like we barley lost to a good team in a well contested game.  We lost to a terrible team, and looked awful in the process.  

• Eyeroll 1

1 minute ago, RyanC883 said:

still wearing all your "AFC East" Champ shirts around proudly?  

your fire them if they are regressing and their teams look clueless out there with a top 2 QB.  That's where we are currently.  It's not like we barley lost to a good team in a well contested game.  We lost to a terrible team, and looked awful in the process.  

You fire them when they underachieve. I don’t think being a final 4 AFC team equals underachieving.

He has to be worse than that. Until then the conversation doesn’t even begin.

6 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

respect for what?  Is there a trophy for winning the AFC East title?  I mean, look who is in our division?  Who cares about winning it.  Means nothing.  Great job being slightly above average with a top 2 QB, that actually is quite the accomplishment.  

He built it. Yes he deserves respect. He built the structure that allowed for Josh to develop.

1 minute ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

You fire them when they underachieve. I don’t think being a final 4 AFC team equals underachieving.

He has to be worse than that. Until then the conversation doesn’t even begin.

the AFC has been weak, and we barley make the AFC final 4 the past 2 seasons, barley getting out of WC weekend.  Last season to a 3rd string Dolphins QB, then getting no pressure against the Cincy 3rd string linemen, and scoring a whopping 10 points on offense.  

The underachievement is there.  If they looked like they were playing with a system and it needed some tweaks, fine, but this team looks rudderless for 1.5 seasons.  

3 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

the AFC has been weak, and we barley make the AFC final 4 the past 2 seasons, barley getting out of WC weekend.  Last season to a 3rd string Dolphins QB, then getting no pressure against the Cincy 3rd string linemen, and scoring a whopping 10 points on offense.  

The underachievement is there.  If they looked like they were playing with a system and it needed some tweaks, fine, but this team looks rudderless for 1.5 seasons.  

Things will play out. We were here in 2021 when Daboll sucked on this board. 

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede

47 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Super Bowl is always the goal. You don’t fire coaches for not making a Super Bowl. 

You do when you realize you aren't winning one with the HC.  KC suffered schottenheimer, and Cinci Lewis.  They realized too late they had a guy what wasn't going to get it done. When you  are stuck in neutral and not getting it done with THIS team, with THIS QB... you must make a change.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

20 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

You do when you realize you aren't winning one with the HC.  KC suffered schottenheimer, and Cinci Lewis.  They realized too late they had a guy what wasn't going to get it done. When you  are stuck in neutral and not getting it done with THIS team, with THIS QB... you must make a change.

It’s not likely to improve anything by changing the coach and keeping the QB. What is your evidence that this works? Especially when Super Bowl is the improvement standard. We’re not rebuilding.

I honestly don’t know where this idea began. 

38 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Even if we don’t make the playoffs I don’t see McD getting fired. I would expect Dorsey to get fired and McD/BB get another year.

Ugh. I still remember saying on a Sabres board that if you fire Regier and Ruff we’ll probably go through a new head coach every other year.

I was pretty damn close. I just didn’t expect we’d also go through a new GM every other year.

Once we start firing successful GMs and coaches we’re in for a bumpy ride.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Success said:

One could make a compelling argument that the last three games are very close to a collapse. A loss this week to Tampa, and I think the pitchforks will be out — and for good reason.

Edited by Nephilim17

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

It’s not likely to improve anything by changing the coach and keeping the QB. What is your evidence that this works? Especially when Super Bowl is the improvement standard. We’re not rebuilding.

I honestly don’t know where this 

Like I said last week,fans are very comfortable with being good, not great. Fear of the drought is stuck in their heads.

• Eyeroll 1

7 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

Like I said last week,fans are very comfortable with being good, not great. Fear of the drought is stuck in their heads.

That doesn’t make any sense. What does it even mean?

Things will play out. McDermott likely will either miss the playoffs or lose in round 1 soon. Then we’ll actually have a real discussion about firing McDermott.

4 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

That doesn’t make any sense. What does it even mean?

Things will play out. McDermott likely will either miss the playoffs or lose in round 1 soon. Then we’ll actually have a real discussion about firing McDermott.

It means fans are ok with the same average results. We have regressed since an AFCC game against the Chiefs. The 30 seconds,which McDermott should have been fired the next day, then an unprepared team getting it's  @$$ beat against Cincinnati. 

Bottom line, many fans are ok just being good with no chance of a superbowl. 

I'm done discussing this 

• Awesome! (+1) 1

9 hours ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Just spit ballin’…. Can we $h1tcan McD and make an offer for Ben Johnson in the offseason. JA’s an attractive commodity going to waste under this current regime.

Much rather have an offensive mined younger HC.

Thoughts…….

How’d Ben Johnson do yesterday?

38 minutes ago, SoonerBillsFan said:

It means fans are ok with the same average results. We have regressed since an AFCC game against the Chiefs. The 30 seconds,which McDermott should have been fired the next day, then an unprepared team getting it's  @$$ beat against Cincinnati. 

Bottom line, many fans are ok just being good with no chance of a superbowl. 

I'm done discussing this 

He said, posting a wall of text

9 hours ago, PayDaBill$ said:

Just spit ballin’…. Can we $h1tcan McD and make an offer for Ben Johnson in the offseason. JA’s an attractive commodity going to waste under this current regime.

Much rather have an offensive mined younger HC.

Thoughts…….

Lmao pegula doesn't give a rats spinchter if McDermott is capable of winning in the playoffs...all he cares is the Bills are better than they were pre allen and the seats at the stadium are full!..he gave McDermott and bean extensions as a gift for getting our asses waxed at home by the bengals....this team is in trouble and so is Josh allen....McDermott will waste all of Allen's prime and process his way to the bank with a big grin on his face.....we are the Carolina panthers of the east 10 yrs past their expiration lol

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.