Are people really that unhappy with our 4-2 Bills?

eball

Fan is short for fanatic. There are a lot of people who are passionate about the Bills (or whatever team they are fans of). They want the best. Personally, I think things are good and will get better. I'm not going to go against anyone who thinks this or that needs to be changed anymore. It's their right to say so. 

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I am certainly unhappy about the injuries.  Hard to have Milano, Jones and White all out for the season, particularly since they are three of my favorite players on the team.  Wish the offense would show some consistency, and I am concerned that we saw similar issues with the offense at different points last season.  Team should be 5-1 given the strength of the teams that they have played so far, so 4-2 is a bit disappointing.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I am extremely disappointed in their performances against the Jets and Jaguars. With the talent on this team, I dare say it was inexcusable to let those 2 games get away from them. It’s the inconsistent play from one week to the next that leads one to not know what team is going to take the field on any given Sunday. 

The way the schedule sets up for the Bills, I think they will look back on those 2 games as one’s that they needed to have in order to have a shot for home field in the playoffs. 

• Agree 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

Nothing really counts until we get to the playoffs.

Yeah, the team has been good for four plus years at this point....as far as I'm concerned, the team has established itself as a perennial playoff participant.

We all just want the Bills to take that next step and make it to the Super Bowl and win it.

After the Miami game, the Bills looked poised to do just that, but these last couple of weeks, thanks to injuries and inconsistent Offensive play, the team looks less likely to make that step this year, and it can be frustrating.

Josh Allen only has so many "Prime seasons" left....the Bills have to take advantage of his talents while they have them, because this team could quickly slide back to "lovable loser" status once he is gone.

Go Bills!!

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Both the losses were very unnecessary and the win against a really bad Giants team wasn’t really impressive either. It doesn’t feel like we’re making the most out of having Josh. I’m not overjoyed with the season so far and I have to admit I’m a bit worried, but that’s nothing a couple of good wins won’t fix. 

• Agree 2

I have to wonder how many of the whiny, angry, hysterical posters on TSW are either too young to remember the Bills pre-2017 or have chosen to block out memories of the misery that Bills fans suffered between 2000 and 2016.  Any ugly win is infinitely better than any loss, particularly early in the season.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 2

Because we know this isn't a championship team, the signs of regression are apparent. It's such an exhausting season to get out-coached by Doug Peterson in the Wild Card round. Just making the playoffs isn’t good enough, we want a Super Bowl

• Like (+1) 3
  • Vomit 2
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Disagree 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Freak-O said:

Both the losses were very unnecessary and the win against a really bad Giants team wasn’t really impressive either. It doesn’t feel like we’re making the most out of having Josh. I’m not overjoyed with the season so far and I have to admit I’m a bit worried, but that’s nothing a couple of good wins won’t fix. 

You aren't giving the Jets and Jags enough credit. They are both good teams.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

There's a lot to be satisfied and unsatisfied thus far. The injuries are the most daunting. Losing your three best players on defense is more than not worthy.

The two losses and the Giants win are concerning. The Bills have played three good games and three very poor games. They hardly look like super bowl worthy six games in. Fortunately, it's a long season and hopefully this team throws at the end of the season. 

The Dolphins are in first place not the Bills. That's not what I expected. We are chasing instead of being chased. Let's not forget the Bills schedule only gets tougher. 

The offense is still a work in progress. Dorsey certainly is a concern. The oline has played two poor games in a row. Kincaid seems to be nothing more than a dump off TE. Besides Diggs, the Bills offense is solely reliant on Allen. 

I'm not getting caught up in all the stats. Truthfully, they never tell a complete picture. It can definitely be used as a measuring stick. 

As a fan, I see this team as very good. A playoff team. I don't see a AFC championship team or a SB team. Sure it's possible and I always hope for the best. 

A lot of football to play. The Bills needs to play better and improve. Ditto for the coaching staff too. Let's see how things play out. However, there's plenty of positives and negatives to address. To criticize those who have valid  construction criticisms is really suspect. Almost like it's not ok to do. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I have to wonder how many of the whiny, angry, hysterical posters on TSW are either too young to remember the Bills pre-2017 or have chosen to block out memories of the misery that Bills fans suffered between 2000 and 2016.  Any ugly win is infinitely better than any loss, particularly early in the season.

Show me a Bills fan that isn't happy with the win? 

I can show you the vast majority of Bills fans that aren't happy with the way they won.

There's a big distinction between the two and you seem to muddie up them. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Its about expectations. Are you happy with a playoff contender or do you want a championship. The question is - will it be easier or harder to win next year, the next, etc. With Josh Allen's age and contract plus other players age the time is now to win. So when the team is on track to "only" be fighting for a playoff spot it leads to disappointment. 

• Thank you (+1) 4

9 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Is this type of thinking that creates acceptance to medicity. 

9 minutes ago, Gregg said:

You aren't giving the Jets and Jags enough credit. They are both good teams.

It was more about the Bills poor play than those being good teams. The Bills are better than both of those teams. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

I have no time for fans that just can't see faults. If you can't see there are real issues I don't know what to tell you. All the stats you listed are down from the Miami game. If the goal is to be consistently better than average we are certainly on our way. But if you want to win a SB we need better. We can't keep pissing away our opportunities year in and year out. This window won't be open forever. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

13 minutes ago, SoTier said:

Are you still just happy making the playoffs? 

• Agree 1

The defense is playing well, even injured.  The offense can put up a lot of points, but if the opposing D figures out the scheme Dorsey cannot adjust.  That's concerning.  Buffalo has scored 37 or more points, and 20 or less, nothing in-between.  If it's not feast, Dorsey can't stop the famine.

Edit: Half the games were 37+, half were 20-.  That's concerning.

Edited by The Red King
  • Like (+1) 1

I will add. Everyone complains of injuries and guys getting worn down from a long season. Would be nice to have some blowouts vs teams like the NYG so guys can rest. Instead we played to their level and have our franchise QB on the injury report along with other guys. 

• Agree 1

2 minutes ago, The Red King said:

The defense is playing well, even injured.  The offense can put up a lot of points, but if the opposing D figures out the scheme Dorsey cannot adjust.  That's concerning.  Buffalo has scored 37 or more points, and 20 or less, nothing in-between.  If it's not feast, Dorsey can't stop the famine.

So you want them to score a couple games in the 36-21 range for what exactly?

• Eyeroll 1

I know it's "Any Given Sunday" but we know who are the Contenders and Pretenders. You should beat teams like the Jags and you should destroy the Giants like they did the Raiders and Commanders.

Don't mind losing if it's a contested game against a contender. Losing to lesser non playoff caliber teams to me is unacceptable, though I find it to be a yearly occurrence across the NFL nowadays. 

• Agree 1

11 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Its about expectations. Are you happy with a playoff contender or do you want a championship. The question is - will it be easier or harder to win next year, the next, etc. With Josh Allen's age and contract plus other players age the time is now to win. So when the team is on track to "only" be fighting for a playoff spot it leads to disappointment. 

So Josh’s age is an issue, when people were clamoring about the Jets getting a 40 year old Rogers meant a championship for them?  Please.

I confess to losing it momentarily when they called yet another dumb delay out of the shotgun and posting to fire Dorsey.  But rationality quickly resumed.  The Bills are doing well offensively and defensively.  They could do better on both sides of the ball but there is hardly need for doom and gloom.  

Will they win it all?  Maybe but odds are long.  Both because odds are always long, and  because losing three All Pro caliber guys may be too much to overcome.  But the fun of being a fan is to watch things and see what happens.

Edited by oldmanfan

17 minutes ago, SoTier said:

I wish the Pats had this mindset and stuck with Drew Bledsoe

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, blitzboy54 said:

I have no time for fans that just can't see faults. If you can't see there are real issues I don't know what to tell you. All the stats you listed are down from the Miami game. If the goal is to be consistently better than average we are certainly on our way. But if you want to win a SB we need better. We can't keep pissing away our opportunities year in and year out. This window won't be open forever. 

Agree 100%. However, there are many fans that are really satisfied with good to great regular seasons and playoff births. Anything else is just a bonus. 

Lots of these fans will say it's better than it used to be. It's just entertaining. Be happy with the success. It's hard to win it all. 31 teams will be disappointed. 

So it's really about your perspective and how you see things. You and I see things similarly.

• Agree 1

9 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Is this type of thinking that creates acceptance to medicity. 

It was more about the Bills poor play than those being good teams. The Bills are better than both of those teams. 

Everyone just wants mediocrity.  No one wants a Lombardi.  You nailed it.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

Just now, oldmanfan said:

So Josh’s age is an issue, when people were clamoring about the Jets getting a 40 year old Rogers meant a championship for them?  Please.

I confess to losing it momentarily when they called yet another dumb delay out of the shotgun and posting to fire Dorsey.  But rationality quickly resumed.  The Bills are doing well offensively and defensively.  They could do better on both sides of the ball but there is hardly need for doom and gloom.  

Will then win it all?  Maybe but odds are long.  Both because odds are always long, and  because losing three All Pro caliber guys may be too much to overcome.  But the fun of being a fan is to watch things and see what happens.

Yes, Josh age is an issue in that he wont be the dual threat he is forever. We all hope they will be as capable when that happens but it is a big ?. 

• Eyeroll 1

Not upset at the team necessarily.  However, I am upset with the lack of common sense and situational awareness that is hindering the team.  Perfect example is this past Sunday.  It's 2nd and goal and you need 6" for a TD and you have 3 chances to get it.  Instead of running a QB sneak that has like a 95% chance of succeeding each time you run it and virtually guaranteeing a TD, this team lines up in shotgun and gives the ball to the RB 6 YARDS away instead of 6" away from where you started.  This is dumb and lacks common sense in that situation. 

The same can be said for running the same draw play on long down and distances.  The fact that the statistics show that we are much more successful running and passing the ball from under center and yet being is shotgun 75% of the time is frustrating as well.  Knowing that the main reason our shotgun calls are not working like they used to is because Allen has completely stopped running the ball from that formation is aggravating as well. 

The reason the gun worked so well in years past is because defenses never knew if Allen was going to throw it or take off with it on any given play which forced them to hug the LOS longer than they wanted to is what made those plays successful.  Now, because they have not called any QB runs, and have basically told Allen not to scramble as much, defenses don't respect that aspect of the shotgun snaps we are calling and are bailing earlier and making it easier for them to take away the passing game.  Until they get burned with Allen's legs again, they will just flood the zones and take away what we want to do. 

So, it's more about the lack of common sense and adjustments to put our players in the best situations to succeed. 

Edited by sven233
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, ngbills said:

Yes, Josh age is an issue in that he wont be the dual threat he is forever. We all hope they will be as capable when that happens but it is a big ?. 

I’m sorry.  Does Josh not throw that ball well enough for you?  Will he not continue to gain experience in things like reading defenses?  The window with Josh is at least a decade.  Hopefully taken care of this year.

42 minutes ago, eball said:

I just don't know what to make of this board and our fans these days.  To the uninformed observer, if you just looked at the threads on the first page you'd assume this was a bottom-feeding squad.  The Bills are #3 in scoring offense and scoring defense, +4 in takeaways, and are right in the position most expected them to be when the season began.

Nobody ever won the Super Bowl in October, and history is replete with scads of teams that looked "unbeatable" at this juncture and didn't lift the Lombardi.

Lately, the issue is with <yawn> Dorsey again...bad gameplan, can't get the ball to anyone other than Diggs, yada, yada, yada.  What I saw Sunday night was a slow start on offense fueled by an untimely fumble, a drop, and a fantastic tip/interception by the Giants on a pass headed to Knox for a big gainer.  When the team returned from halftime they marched down the field twice for TDs and were a fingertip catch away from icing the game.

Is everything perfect?  Of course not!  But it never is, and crucifying Dorsey on October 18 -- two weeks after he was called brilliant for his gameplan vs. Miami -- is the perfect lens through which to view Bills fans.

Maybe a lot of you really have nothing else to do but sit around and dream up wild conspiracy theories about how Josh could force his way out of Buffalo, psychoanalyze whether Brian Daboll and Sean McDermott have a blood feud, or criticize the Bills for using Diggs as their first option in the passing game.

They lost two games by a total of 11 points!

The ONLY thing that matters is that the Bills grind out wins so they put themselves into decent playoff position, and that they are playing their best football in DECEMBER.

"But it's a fan message board.  That's what we do."

Ok.  You be you.  I'll continue to look at what is going right, share my opinions in an upbeat way, and show some faith in the players and coaches to work on what they need to work on.  This can still be a very special season; the league is wide open.

Go Bills!

18-2, Babyyyyyy!!!

Thank you thank you thank you.

Be prepared for a host of replies calling you blind and and fool, then repeating all the things you made fun of in your post.

1 minute ago, newcam2012 said:

I think you need a reading comprehension lesson. 

13 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Is this type of thinking that creates acceptance to medicity

Your words, not mine.  Except I think you meant mediocrity as medicity is not a word in the English language to my knowledge.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, oldmanfan said:

I’m sorry.  Does Josh not throw that ball well enough for you?  Will he not continue to gain experience in things like reading defenses?  The window with Josh is at least a decade.  Hopefully taken care of this year.

Much of his success has been due to his off script and improvisation. As he becomes less mobile much of that goes away. Josh is a good QB but it has not been due to playing traditional QB.

• Agree 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.