Milano/Jones BOTH require surgery; Per McDermott

BuffaloBillyG

The injuries to our defense are going to put even more of an emphasis on the ability of our offense to put up high point totals week to week.  I would pivot my philosophy this year a bit and really focus on taking the offense to another level to compensate for our defensive losses. Was hoping raiders lost last night but I would be putting my feelers out with Vikings, Giants, Broncos, and the other bottom tier teams to try and add one more piece.  I would really love a solid #2 WR because I think G.Davis is best suited as a 3

Edited by Finkle Is Einhorn
  • Agree 1

9 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Vonn

groot

ed o

floyd

daquan

ill buy arguments contrary but i don’t think it’s absurd either. 

There might not be a better DT playing right now that Jones.  Jones has been insanely good this year so far.

I'm not talking career, I'm talking to the beginning of the season.  Maybe because it's a contract year, who knows.  But as great as Oliver has been this year, Jones has been every bit as good and maybe even better.

16 hours ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

Amazing how a narrative switches. For YEARS I have seen right here on this board that "defense doesn't matter" and it's all about offense these days anyway.

We still have an ELITE defensive line. Floyd and Groot are legit. Add in AJE who is coming along. And anything we get from Von is a plus as well. Ed Oliver is having a career year as well.

We have Bernard making plays every week. Benford hopefully back soon and Dane Jackson is adequate. Will we be as good as before? No of course not. 

But there is no reason to believe this defense can't make some stops. Truthfully, maybe a little new blood and young legs is needed in some spots. 

I think McDermott scheming the defense will be a plus as well. He'll figure out ways to cover some weak spots.

Fortunately, this is all happening early in the year. Gets players like Benford, Williams, Poona or whoever comes in time to get reps and build knowledge in the system. 

Season is far from over IMO

This is exactly how I feel as well, we still have plenty of solid players all along the defense... Groot, Oliver, AJE (having his best year), Floyd, Ford, Benford, Miller, Poyer, Hyde and Lawson. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillsGospel2014 said:

This is exactly how I feel as well, we still have plenty of solid players all along the defense... Groot, Oliver, AJE (having his best year), Floyd, Ford, Benford, Miller, Poyer, Hyde and Lawson. 

Love Poyer but he isn't on the list of solid players anymore 😞 

• Agree 1

2 hours ago, dave mcbride said:

I think this is pretty wrong. Jones has been their best defensive lineman this season.

has been their best for a month and is their best are two different standards. Like I said, totally open to buying arguments either way but I think the provocative nature of my comment strongly underscores that it shouldn’t be a season crippling injury for this roster with 4 other guys that are very legit 

Unlike a Von Miller who actually is their best defensive lineman without question 

Edited by NoSaint
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

7 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

has been their best for a month and is their best are two different standards. Like I said, totally open to buying arguments either way but I think the provocative nature of my comment strongly underscores that it shouldn’t be a season crippling injury for this roster with 4 other guys that are very legit 

Unlike a Von Miller who actually is their best defensive lineman without question 

Daquan Jones has been elite in our system, but it's also - in part - due to the system.  

Same system has guys like Oliver and Bernard playing at incredibly high levels also.   

It hurts, but Poona Ford has been a very good player in his career, he's younger than Jones, and I'm interested in seeing what he looks like out there.  

People seem to be taking Jones great play and pairing it to his gameday inactive against the Bengals where we had a ton of defensive issues and his seemed to be the one that broke the camels back.  

It's Week 6.  We have a guy on the roster to replace him.  We are working towards a point in the season where may have the best DE rotation in the NFL.  

If any of these positions (CB, LB, DT) prove to be damaged beyond repair with what we have on the roster, the trade deadline doesn't pass until a few weeks from now.  There are teams like Broncos, Vikings, Cardinals, Giants etc., that will soon be looking to move guys off their roster.  

This all sucks, no way around it, but we have Poona Ford and a RD3 draft pick as depth for Jones and Milano.. I'm willing to see what they look like for a few weeks and then we have the trade deadline to consider.  

We can also hold onto the hope that, maybe.. just maybe... Jones and/or Milano can get back for the Playoffs. 

CB is more where I'm worried about.   I'd almost hope we get Elam right back out there on Sunday Night, because he was put in a tough position in London and we desperately need him to step up his play over the course of the season.   We could probably move a Day 3 pick for a DT or LB should we need to... CB's will be available, but with the investment made, it would be really frustrating to have to do that with a former RD1 pick on the roster. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Daquan Jones has been elite in our system, but it's also - in part - due to the system.  

Same system has guys like Oliver and Bernard playing at incredibly high levels also.   

It hurts, but Poona Ford has been a very good player in his career, he's younger than Jones, and I'm interested in seeing what he looks like out there.  

People seem to be taking Jones great play and pairing it to his gameday inactive against the Bengals where we had a ton of defensive issues and his seemed to be the one that broke the camels back.  

It's Week 6.  We have a guy on the roster to replace him.  We are working towards a point in the season where may have the best DE rotation in the NFL.  

If any of these positions (CB, LB, DT) prove to be damaged beyond repair with what we have on the roster, the trade deadline doesn't pass until a few weeks from now.  There are teams like Broncos, Vikings, Cardinals, Giants etc., that will soon be looking to move guys off their roster.  

This all sucks, no way around it, but we have Poona Ford and a RD3 draft pick as depth for Jones and Milano.. I'm willing to see what they look like for a few weeks and then we have the trade deadline to consider.  

We can also hold onto the hope that, maybe.. just maybe... Jones and/or Milano can get back for the Playoffs. 

CB is more where I'm worried about.   I'd almost hope we get Elam right back out there on Sunday Night, because he was put in a tough position in London and we desperately need him to step up his play over the course of the season.   We could probably move a Day 3 pick for a DT or LB should we need to... CB's will be available, but with the investment made, it would be really frustrating to have to do that with a former RD1 pick on the roster. 

I think it’s going to be a Benford and Jackson

Was kind of disappointed in the london game. Someone of his physical talents should be playing much better.

Edited by John from Riverside

18 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

My knee jerk reaction is that the season is over as far as hope for a SB. Maybe a wildcard game but idk. Too soon to truly know I suppose. 

(rough crowd lol. I did say it was a knee jerk reaction)

200% agree.... This team does not have the depth to fill these holes, and does not have the salary cap room to get top players at this point.

It will be a long year. 

• Eyeroll 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think it’s going to be a Benford and Jackson

Was kind of disappointed in the london game. Someone of his physical talents should be playing much better.

Oh, I definitely agree Benford and Jackson are the starters, whenever Benford gets back... but we need to know we have some semblance of competent depth.

After what I saw from Elam, I don't know if we have that.  

I know he's capable.. he played well last year when given opportunities against the Chiefs and Dolphins.  Heck, he may have been our best defensive players in the playoffs last year.. but this year has been bizarre and I'm worried about him being mentally reliable when called upon.  

Just now, SCBills said:

Oh, I definitely agree Benford and Jackson are the starters, whenever Benford gets back... but we need to know we have some semblance of competent depth.

After what I saw from Elam, I don't know if we have that.  

I know he's capable.. he played well last year when given opportunities against the Chiefs and Dolphins.  Heck, he may have been our best defensive players in the playoffs last year.. but this year has been bizarre and I'm worried about him being mentally reliable when called upon.  

I’ll tell you what if JaMarcus Ingraham stays up on the active roster and they actually give him playing time you will know your answer

• Agree 1

28 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I take your point, but I thought Jones was arguably their best d-lineman last year too. 

2 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

200% agree.... This team does not have the depth to fill these holes, and does not have the salary cap room to get top players at this point.

It will be a long year. 

Wow can't believe anyone would be honest and post to agree with me on this. It's not like I was saying that I want this to be the case, but I can't help but look at the team, injuries, lack of offensive consistency and see a Super Bowl winning team. Can they turn it around. Absolutely. I'll be here for the ride regardless. 

3 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

It will be a long year. 

These responses are becoming comical.

-Bills signed Poona Ford as a depth 1T.  He's not Daquan Jones.. Most teams don't have a player like that just sitting around as depth. 

-Bills drafted a RD3 LB to backup, perhaps, the easiest position on the defense to play.  He's not All-Pro Matt Milano, but he was a Top 100 pick at a position that translates quickly to the NFL.  

-Outside CB, I'm worried about after Benford & Jackson.  I don't trust our depth at all now.  

If our Offense doesn't figure out how to not have random games where they don't show up.. we're not winning a Super Bowl regardless of who's on this Defense.  

But on this Defense, we still have the potential of getting to a point this season where our DL consists of Von Miller, Greg Rousseau, Leonard Floyd, AJ Epenesa and Ed Oliver.  Most fanbases would laugh at you and tell you to shut up when complaining about Defensive talent after those names are rattled off.  

We had the potential to rival the 49ers for best defense in the league.  That's likely not happening now.  Tell me what AFC Defenses are more talented than ours, even in our current state?  Bills have comparable talent on Defense to the Browns, Bengals, Steelers, Chiefs etc.., 

Jacksonville just made our Offense look like a JV team with one good pass rusher, a couple run stuffing DT's, a good linebacker, one good CB and one good Safety.  They did the same thing to Kansas City.  

It would be GREAT to have 49ers East.  We don't have that anymore.  What we do have is a defense on par with most of the other defenses associated with top teams in the AFC.  

Miami fans don't seem to be crying because they Defense looked incompetent against our Offense.  Because they are confident in their Offense.  

If we had reason to be confident in our Offense, we'd be 5-0.  Not 3-2, with posts like yours littering the board.   

As much as the defensive injuries sting right now.  Our Offensive woes in 2 games are why we feel this way about the Defense. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 hours ago, billsfan89 said:

Banged Up Bills said 10-12 weeks is realistic for Jones and that Milano's injury is at least not career-threatening injury and noted that it is technically possible for a late playoff return although that would be a perfect recovery. 

I think Jones coming back early to mid-January would be possible but Banged up Bills also mentioned he would have to play with a harness. So even if Jones comes back he likely will be compromised. Just sucks, but this defense is deep and Poona Ford was at one point in 2020 and 2021 a very good run defender. So at least there is someone to try and plug in. 

I know I keep on brining up JJ Watt and was returned to practice right around 60 days after tearing his pec...that probably is unusually fast.

But he tore his October 26th and returned to practice December 19.  DaQuan is 3 weeks ahead of that and I would be thrilled if he was back by week 15 or 16.   But maybe wait until the playoffs.

Heartbreaking. The only thing that can stop Milano from being a HOF is the injuries. But I guess when you are a smaller guy, it’s bound to happy. But man, he is such a joy to watch play football. For some reason I thought of Spikes and how awesome he was before he got hurt. It was never quite the same after that. I hope that isn’t the case. 

wish both guys well. London sucks. 

15 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I know I keep on brining up JJ Watt and was returned to practice right around 60 days after tearing his pec...that probably is unusually fast.

But he tore his October 26th and returned to practice December 19.  DaQuan is 3 weeks ahead of that and I would be thrilled if he was back by week 15 or 16.   But maybe wait until the playoffs.

Mas Roids

19 hours ago, BillsFan130 said:

To be honest, I think this is all we could have hoped for at this point..

Milano they were looking at ACL, so that must be intact.

Jones I think we all knew torn pec.

The fact that MCD didn’t rule them out for the year yet? that’s about as positive it can be given McDermotts comments yesterday.

The watt brothers missed a couple months with torn pec injuries, Jon feliciano missed 3 months.

Lets hope he’s around that 10 week range and back for playoffs

Feliciano was also a shell of himself when he came back.  As much as I’d love to have Jones back out there, not if he’s not back to himself, just not worth it.

38 minutes ago, ddaryl said:

It will be a long year. 

Honestly, this season is over for the SB hopes, the defense just doesn’t have the players anymore and the offense isn’t good enough to consistently cover for it.  It sucks to admit it’s another year of Allen wasted, but when you lose all that talent, there is nothing you can do.

• Dislike 1

3 hours ago, Royale with Cheese said:

There might not be a better DT playing right now that Jones.  Jones has been insanely good this year so far.

I'm not talking career, I'm talking to the beginning of the season.  Maybe because it's a contract year, who knows.  But as great as Oliver has been this year, Jones has been every bit as good and maybe even better.

How would you feel in the situation was reversed?  And we lost the guy who's 3rd in pressures and 2nd in sacks from the DT position.  Who's young and only getting better in McDermott's Defense?

I only ask because 32 out of 32 NFL teams would take Oliver over a healthy Jones if they could take one player for this year.  We are reacting based on the loss of Jones, but what if we lost Oliver in his place?   Would you feel better about that? 

10 minutes ago, SCBills said:

How would you feel in the situation was reversed?  And we lost the guy who's 3rd in pressures and 2nd in sacks from the DT position.  Who's young and only getting better in McDermott's Defense?

I only ask because 32 out of 32 NFL teams would take Oliver over a healthy Jones if they could take one player for this year.  We are reacting based on the loss of Jones, but what if we lost Oliver in his place?   Would you feel better about that? 

I don't want either one of those.  I would feel equally as in the dumps without Oliver.

4 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I don't want either one of those.  I would feel equally as in the dumps without Oliver.

Agreed.  I guess I am more speaking to those who suddenly have Jones as "the one guy we can't lose".  

9 minutes ago, BBFL said:

Any word yet on the full extent of Milano’s injury situation? 

I don't think there is anything new.  I doubt we get a rough timeframe until he has surgery. Even then, they'll probably be cautious with what they tell us.

But if they don't come out right away & say it's season ending, I would take that as a promising sign that they think he could make it back by the playoffs if the recovery goes well.

23 minutes ago, Success said:

I don't think there is anything new.  I doubt we get a rough timeframe until he has surgery. Even then, they'll probably be cautious with what they tell us.

But if they don't come out right away & say it's season ending, I would take that as a promising sign that they think he could make it back by the playoffs if the recovery goes well.

Curious because all I’ve read is “indefinitely”. No expectation he comes back this season just wondering if the severity is career threatening or not. 😞

15 hours ago, Beck Water said:

McDermott said he would require surgery I believe.

https://bangedupbills.com/2023/10/09/examining-buffalo-bills-matt-milanos-right-knee-injury/

I think he's done for this year. 

Surgery can be as minor as putting in screws. Just cause it's surgery, doesn't tell us a lot. We begin walking elderly patients with fractured hips that are getting screws placed the same day of surgery.

1 hour ago, C.Biscuit97 said:

Mas Roids

Roids don't speed up the healing process

• Agree 1

Given the fact both of these injuries were pretty much declared “season ending” on Sunday, the fact that it is Tuesday afternoon and we still don’t have a concrete answer is probably the best case scenario, weirdly enough. 

At this point, if by some miracle Milano could return in the post-season, I would trade that for a “win” against the Jags every single time.

it is always about being healthy at the RIGHT time.  

I am not saying I am getting my hopes up, because I am not; every person with medical knowledge that has chimed in on both injuries have pretty confidently stated that they are out for year, but at the same time, McDermott is usually a straight shooter (on injuries) and the fact that he STILL hasn’t closed the door on a return this season for either player is at least something. 

Edited by BobBelcher
  • Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BobBelcher said:

Given the fact both of these injuries were pretty much declared “season ending” on Sunday, the fact that it is Tuesday afternoon and we still don’t have a concrete answer is probably the best case scenario, weirdly enough. 

At this point, if by some miracle Milano could return in the post-season, I would trade that for a “win” against the Jags every single time.

it is always about being healthy at the RIGHT time.  

I am not saying I am getting my hopes up, because I am not; every person with medical knowledge that has chimed in on both injuries have pretty confidently stated that they are out for year, but at the same time, McDermott is usually a straight shooter and the fact that he STILL hasn’t closed the door on a return this season for either player is at least something. 

I think  they’re waiting to see if milano’s knee ligaments are intact when they get in there.  
it’s probably closer to good news than bad that we haven’t heard anything…maybe things didn’t look too bad in the X-rays/mris 

Minor fractures don’t take terribly long to heal if that’s all he’s dealing with he could be back.

torn pec feels like more of a ‘you could return at massively diminished effectiveness so what’s the point’ issue though so I’m less optimistic on jones 

he probably could play in the playoffs in a harness 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

What is the real injury to Milano? Every article I read says something different. First it was a torn MCL. Then it was a fractured/broken leg. Then it was both. Prognoses are equally scattered. Season ending; could be back before the end of the regular season  

Thanks for the clarification. 

Edited by SloanBillsFan
Grammar

1 minute ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

I think  they’re waiting to see if milano’s knee ligaments are intact when they get in there.  
it’s probably closer to good news than bad that we haven’t heard anything…maybe things didn’t look too bad in the X-rays/mris 

Minor fractures don’t take terribly long to heal if that’s all he’s dealing with he could be back.

torn pec feels like more of a ‘you could return at massively diminished effectiveness so what’s the point’ issue though so I’m less optimistic on jones 

I have a little hope since Mliano was originally able to walk the field with assistance.  I've seen nasty breaks and those guys can't put an oz on it and usually air casted immediately.

JJ Watt's first game back was our 2019 playoff game at Houston.  I can't remember how he played.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, Royale with Cheese said:

I have a little hope since Mliano was originally able to walk the field with assistance.  I've seen nasty breaks and those guys can't put an oz on it and usually air casted immediately.

JJ Watt's first game back was our 2019 playoff game at Houston.  I can't remember how he played.

Pretty sure I remember Watt being a beast against us in that game.  

3 minutes ago, SloanBillsFan said:

What is the real injury to Milano? Every article I read says something different. First it was a torn MCL. Then it was a fractured/broken leg. Then it was both. Prognoses are equally scattered. Season ending; could be back before the end of the regular season  

Thanks for the verification. 

I don’t think the bills have officially said anything besides knee/lower leg injury that will require surgery so all of that is speculation…there was also a quote that they feared ligament damage I believe but it was never confirmed 

People  just guessing based on the phrasing of knee/lower leg it seems. 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, SCBills said:

Pretty sure I remember Watt being a beast against us in that game.  

And his name/likeness being said/shown a trillion times

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1

Winning a SB usually relies on a few things:  having a talented team, getting a little luck, and - this is the big one - overcoming adversity.

The Bills, for whatever reason, have been given a more-than-average dose of adversity, and in more than one season.  Last season, we just couldn't overcome it. It wasn't just injuries - it was the Hamlin situation, the blizzards, the relocations.  It hit a critical mass.

I don't think we're at that point this season.  We've been given an early gut punch of injuries to 3 key positions and players.  But, the operative word there is "early."  A few things can still happen: 

- the back-ups might turn out to be really good, resulting in a defense that isn't quite as good, but still near the top.

- the back-ups could falter, in which case there is plenty of time for Beane to make a move or 2

- And, best case - the back-ups hold steady, and either Jones or Milano or both make it back in time for a playoff run.

I know I probably go overboard w/ hopeful rationalizing, but situations like this can actually galvanize teams.  If a team has strong leadership and a positive mentality, it can be something to rally around. 

As a fan, I'm choosing to be hopeful, and to look at the situation more as being excited to see what Williams and Ford can bring to the table.  They might really step up; it's not that far-fetched to hope that they do.  And really, what other way is there to look at it?  Whatever happens w/ Milano & Jones is out of our control.

50 minutes ago, BuffaloBaumer said:

I heard this morning that the surgery would be more for the broken bone on Milano and NOT the ligament damage. I think that is the best scenario at this point but who knows. 

Didn't TO come back from this injury after 7 weeks and dominate in the Super Bowl?

Hopefully Matt makes it back by late December! 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.