47 yard FG attempts…

LabattBlue

13 minutes ago, LabattBlue said:

Uh oh.  The group is growing. Maybe we can get a group rate on counseling. 😂

I get it, a 47 yard FG was a big deal in Bills history. But it’s somewhat ancient history at this point. I’m not saying anyone else is wrong, because it’s your life to live. I just choose not to dwell on negative things. I don’t see how that helps anything in any way. Just different ways of life, I guess. We lost a game, a REALLY BIG game, but still a GAME. Believe me, if I want things to bring me down, this is nowhere near the top of the list from my life. 

You can also flip the coin here. The way Bills fans supported Norwood at the ceremony downtown made me even more proud to be a Bills fan. Sometimes losing shows true character. I didn’t cry when he missed, but I may have shed a tear when he got that support. 

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

NFL or NCAA, is there ever a 47 yd FG attempt that doesn’t make you think…

Wide Right

It does make me marvel sometimes how hitting 60 yard field goals today isn’t really outside the norm anymore.

A reason why I have Steve Christie as my avatar.  It was exciting in those days as a kid to see him drill 50 plus yard field goals consistently.  I want to say he was one of the first field goals kickers who was consistent at that distance 

Edited by Another Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

Of all of the great reasons to win a SB, finally purging ourselves of the "wide right" black cloud is near the top.

Reminds me of when the Red Sox finally won it all. It let them bring Buckner back & finally put '86 behind them.

It's gonna happen.  And for the record - I absolutely do not blame Scott Norwood for that SB loss. It should have never come down to a long kick, and he was so great for us overall.

Edited by Success
  • Agree 2

It's amazing after all these years what a topic of conversation that still is in WNY and Bills folklore.  I was playing Tennis with some friends over the Summer and I don't even remember why or how it got brought up but somehow the Norwood kick comes up and then we are talking about it for 30 minutes....I was thinking to myself this is crazy, that was 30 years ago now and it has already been analyzed to death yet here we are 😄

I agree though if this team can bring us to the promised land all of the talk about Norwood and the 4 Super Bowl losses truly becomes ancient history.  It's only still relevant today because the Bills have never won one

Always.

What a lot of people don’t remember is that, in the AFCC game right before the Super Bowl (the 51-3 game), Norwood actually tried and missed a 47-yard FG…wide right.

EDIT: Correction, it was a 45-yard FG, but it was almost exactly the same amount wide right as the infamous kick.

Edited by Rubes
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, LabattBlue said:

NFL or NCAA, is there ever a 47 yd FG attempt that doesn’t make you think…

Wide Right

Man, you are taking some ***** for asking? WTF?

Yes, when there’s a 47 yarder, I do immediately relate it to the Norwood attempt in SB XXV. But I’m a numbers guy (have been referred to as Rainman).

I don’t necessarily think ‘wide right’, I just look at it for perspective, comparing field goal attempt in 1990 to 2023.
A 47 yard field goal is practically considered a ‘gimmie’ by today’s top kickers.  Back then it was maybe 50/50.

• Like (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, Rubes said:

Always.

What a lot of people don’t remember is that, in the AFCC game right before the Super Bowl (the 51-3 game), Norwood actually tried and missed a 47-yard FG…wide right.

EDIT: Correction, it was a 45-yard FG, but it was almost exactly the same amount wide right as the infamous kick.

Norwood made one from 48 yards earlier that season where he just squeeked it in to the right by an inch, If only that could've been the kick on that night in January 😭

38 minutes ago, BillsPride12 said:

It's amazing after all these years what a topic of conversation that still is in WNY and Bills folklore.  I was playing Tennis with some friends over the Summer and I don't even remember why or how it got brought up but somehow the Norwood kick comes up and then we are talking about it for 30 minutes....I was thinking to myself this is crazy, that was 30 years ago now and it has already been analyzed to death yet here we are 😄

I agree though if this team can bring us to the promised land all of the talk about Norwood and the 4 Super Bowl losses truly becomes ancient history.  It's only still relevant today because the Bills have never won one

I dont blame the OP or any other fan that still thinks what could have been kind of thing....

But my guess is most of the present Bills players are sort of oblivious to it for the most part?   I mean they've heard of it but it's like this is before my generation kind of thing.    Von Miller at 34 years old is the oldest player on the roster.  He was not even 2 years old when it went down.  

• Agree 1

8 hours ago, Augie said:

I get it, a 47 yard FG was a big deal in Bills history. But it’s somewhat ancient history at this point. I’m not saying anyone else is wrong, because it’s your life to live. I just choose not to dwell on negative things. I don’t see how that helps anything in any way. Just different ways of life, I guess. We lost a game, a REALLY BIG game, but still a GAME. Believe me, if I want things to bring me down, this is nowhere near the top of the list from my life. 

You can also flip the coin here. The way Bills fans supported Norwood at the ceremony downtown made me even more proud to be a Bills fan. Sometimes losing shows true character. I didn’t cry when he missed, but I may have shed a tear when he got that support. 

To me, missing a 47 FG more 30 years ago (nowadays this distance is an automatic IN the 90%of the times), a LIVE OR DIE field goal, a SUPERBOWL meaning FG, wasn’t an easy stuff at all. 

I too think about that kick every time a 47 yarder is attempted. Even if that number comes up in a transaction or at work I think about it. I’ve never rewatched that moment and have changed the channel several times when it’s replayed to avoid it. One of those heartbreaking moments that will make that first Super Bowl win that much more special. 

I am kind of happy for people who find that to remain, decades later, as such a heartache. That may just  mean you’ve never faced serious heartaches to put things in perspective. Just my personal feeling, but I’ve been kicked a lot harder than that. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Joe Ferguson said:

Wide right didn't have to happen if Cornelius Bennett didn't drop the Hostetler pass that was going to be a pick 6

Or if Hostetler had fumbled on Bruce’s safety, or if we had kept Stephen Baker from converting that 3rd and 13, or, or, or.

X number of things had to go just right for the Giants to win that game and they all did, which is why it always pissed me off that Belichick got so much credit.  Our offense still scored a point per minute when they were in there… unfortunately, they only had the ball for 19 minutes. 

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.