Cook is Bill with most rushing yards in first 3 games since 2012 (Spiller)

Nephilim17

3 hours ago, pigpen65 said:

Imagine a GM with Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson on the roster thinking RB is the biggest need with a top 10 pick. Jesus Christ

You do remember that Lynch was one strike away from a one year suspension, don't you?

The Bills were caught in a bad situation. I don't blame them for taking Spiller.

3 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

You do remember that Lynch was one strike away from a one year suspension, don't you?

The Bills were caught in a bad situation. I don't blame them for taking Spiller.

Was still a bad use of an early first. If they'd taken him in the 2nd even I could rationalise it more

2 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

A lot of people dislike my garbage time yards post without a rebuttal. You know what that means right? 

Cook will definitely earn his flowers this year but not yet. It’s early.

curious how many yards Achane racked up in garbage time

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Just read this on NFL.com...

The Bills finally have a reliable bell cow providing balance to the offense, and it’s a beautiful thing to watch. After racking up 98 yards on the ground in Sunday’s road win over Washington, Cook now has the most rush yards by a Bills player through the first three weeks of the season since 2012 (C.J. Spiller with 308). 

Nice to see. Didn't know that we'd gone over decade without that kind of production.

I disagree with MJD's assertion that we have a "bell cow" back (maybe it's semantics, but I define "bell cow" as 20 to 25 rushes many games), but I think Cook is a good number-one back on this team who can rack up 12 to 16 carries a game and get good yardage and some catches.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-rb-index-week-4-one-running-back-i-promise-to-stop-underestimating

I like when our B and C RBs get in there though….. I like it fine. Keep Cook viable and get the backups some work. I think Latavius Murray has won the #2 job! He’s running tougher so far…. People do not like tackling him…. : )

Go Bills!

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

I’ll be happy if he sustains the same stats in tight games against playoff teams without garbage-time breakaways boosting the numbers. 

That'd require Dorsey to commit to the RB during those tight games.

4 hours ago, Mark Vader said:

True, but they only drafted Lynch to replace yet another 1st round RB they picked - Willis McGahee. 

And a 1st was used on McGahee even though we already had a Pro Bowl RB in Travis Henry! 

Rumor has it Ralph wanted to replace Henry because he was tired of helping out with his child support for his 87 kids

Cook is doing well and some of that I think is a better OL than we have had in a while. Better guards, more 12 personnel, and Kromer having more time to put his stamp on the unit.

However plenty of Cook's yards are coming after 1st contact so you have to give him props for individual effort and skill.

He has great balance and is slippery as he rarely stops to cut or change direction (the dancing behind the LOS that usually ends badly) he usually falls forward for positive yards even if there is nothing there. He has smooth direction changes and quickly finds the next gear.

I like where they have him now with the number of touches and would not expect Pollard or McCaffrey numbers.

Not when we can keep him fresh and have Murray and Harris to run over folks when he needs to be spelled or in short yardage, and we have that QB Allen who is able to sling the rock now and then.

His pass pro has gotten better and that was a concern going into the season too.

The running game has been a weak spot on the team since they drafted Moss but that being said it looks as if Moss may be more of a old school type of back the way the Colts have used him being more so he could find his groove in the game which no one does any more & contributed to him looking less than what he is .

But this RB room this year i feel because of Beane & McD (even though McD is so incompetent) noticing where the weaknesses lie & bringing in reinforcements all over the team & not just in the RB's room .

They have brought in Rb's, O linemen, defensive personal, and let go of some that others at first thought would make the team weaker but in fact has made them better to this point . I think this team configuration is much better & as these players get more time on the field will prove the vision of McD & Beane .

And i for one hope makes all the nay sayers eat their negativity !! 

10 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

How many yards does he have when the Bills are up 3 scores?

I’ll make it easy. Most of his yards have come late in blowouts. Nothing to impressive so far.

Or you could say that a lot of his yards are coming when opponents know we are going to run the ball. He has been impressive in his ability to hit the hole, beat the defense to the edge and find yards in tight spots. I hope he doesn’t wear down over the course of the season.

10 hours ago, Gregg said:

I would have to look it up, but I honestly can't remember the last time the Bills had an RB rush for over 1,000 yards in a season. With the exception of Allen, I think Cook will be the key to beating the Fins. If he can have another good day running, then that means the Bills are controlling the clock and keep the Fins offense on the sidelines. It will also open the passing game if the Fins D has to pay attention to Cook running the ball. Of course, the most important thing is to finish drives with 7 not 3.

WE need Cook, Harris and Murray to come to the party.

12 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

The Bills finally have a reliable bell cow providing balance to the offense, and it’s a beautiful thing to watch. After racking up 98 yards on the ground in Sunday’s road win over Washington, Cook now has the most rush yards by a Bills player through the first three weeks of the season since 2012 (C.J. Spiller with 308). 

Nice to see. Didn't know that we'd gone over decade without that kind of production.

I disagree with MJD's assertion that we have a "bell cow" back (maybe it's semantics, but I define "bell cow" as 20 to 25 rushes many games), but I think Cook is a good number-one back on this team who can rack up 12 to 16 carries a game and get good yardage and some catches.

https://www.nfl.com/news/nfl-rb-index-week-4-one-running-back-i-promise-to-stop-underestimating

25 rushes per game would be 425 a year. A record, right?

10 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

Indeed. That's why I wrote 20 to 25 many games.

There are backs out there who do that, not a lot, but they're out there and they are "bell cows," to me. Cook is not a bell cow. He's a damn fine 15-carry back but if we're grinding it out in a snow game, or with a back-up QB because Josh is out, I don't hand it to Cook 22 times. 

Edit: Can Cook get 22 touches in one game? That's a possibility. I just don't expect him to get 22 rushes in a rush-heavy game. Maybe I'm wrong. Let's see...

Edited by Nephilim17

8 minutes ago, Nephilim17 said:

Indeed. That's why I wrote 20 to 25 many games.

There are backs out there who do that, not a lot, but they're out there and they are "bell cows," to me. Cook is not a bell cow. He's a damn fine 15-carry back but if we're grinding it out in a snow game, or with a back-up QB because Josh is out, I don't hand it to Cook 22 times. 

Edit: Can Cook get 22 touches in one game? That's a possibility. I just don't expect him to get 22 rushes in a rush-heavy game. Maybe I'm wrong. Let's see...

to continue on getting to the same page… 15 per game would put him 8th in carries

by your definition bell cow means Henry, Jacobs and borderline chub

also, 21 touches vs LV…

Edited by NoSaint
  • Haha (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I’ll make it easy. Most of his yards have come late in blowouts. Nothing to impressive so far.

13 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

No. Not up 30-3 or 31-10. Game over. Half his yards have come in at the end of these games.

10 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

A lot of people dislike my garbage time yards post without a rebuttal. You know what that means right? 

Cook will definitely earn his flowers this year but not yet. It’s early.

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I said late in 3 score games. This isn’t your typical run the clock out stuff. Why are people so upset. 

9 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Theres running the clock and then there’s garbage time.

8 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

I don’t care about garbage time is the point.

7 hours ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

As I said up 3 scores in the 4th is garbage time. 

So it’s a big difference. Not exactly running to wear you down.

31 minutes ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Would be amazing. Means the Bills had a lot of blowout wins to allow Cook his garbage time rushing yards.

Thanks for replying to my post with your thoughts about Cook in garbage time. I never would’ve known otherwise 🤦‍♂️.

Edited by gobills404
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

Not mentioned in the NFL.com quote was how many yards Cook has.  I looked it up.  It's 267.  That averages to 89 per game, which would put him over 1500 for the season.  And he got his 267 yards on 44 carries, which is 6.07 yards per carry.  All this without any really long runs.  He's getting close to ripping one for 75 yards, which will make his stats look even better.

• Like (+1) 2

19 hours ago, Nephilim17 said:

While I disagree with Jones-Drew that Cook is a bell-cow (44 carries is 12 per game, and that's not a bell cow), yeah, he's having a really good start. Our whole run game looks good so far, though not so much during the Jets game.

6 hours ago, NoSaint said:

Yes, because of the 17 games a year. But not by much. A very few backs have averaged 25 carries a year or more.

People always mention 25 carries a game when they talk about bell cows, but in reality it's really rare, and in the last fifteen years or so, spectacularly rare.

Edited by Thurman#1

5 hours ago, gobills404 said:

Thanks for replying to my post with your thoughts about Cook in garbage time. I never would’ve known otherwise 🤦‍♂️.

Here’s another one.

I’ll also add 22 (half) of his carries are when the Bills are up 2 scores as well. 

When leading by 17+points:

McCaffery - 14 rushes 48 yards

Swift - 6 rushes 49 yards

Cook - 11 rushes 116 yards

Connor - 2 rush 8 yards

Pollard - 17 rushes 82 yards

Mostert - 7 rushes 21 yards

Robinson Jr - 0 rushes

Bijan - 0 rushes

Moss - 2 rushes 10 yards

Achane - 9 rushes 135 yards

Maybe it’s time we ran Cook more to be honest. His average when games are close is still good. Over 5 yards per carry when leading by 1 score. If they ran Cook more vs the Jets we’re 3-0.

Edited by Buffalo_Stampede
  • Dislike 1

Here’s another one.

I’ll also add 22 (half) of his carries are when the Bills are up 2 scores as well. 

When leading by 17+points:

McCaffery - 14 rushes 48 yards

Swift - 6 rushes 49 yards

Cook - 11 rushes 116 yards

Connor - 2 rush 8 yards

Pollard - 17 rushes 82 yards

Mostert - 7 rushes 21 yards

Robinson Jr - 0 rushes

Bijan - 0 rushes

Moss - 2 rushes 10 yards

Achane - 9 rushes 135 yards

Maybe it’s time we ran Cook more to be honest. His average when games are close is still good. Over 5 yards per carry when leading by 1 score. If they ran Cook more vs the Jets we’re 3-0.

I’m completely lost on your premise here. First, it’s not unusual for RBs to pick up yards near the end of games when the defense is tired. It’s actually expected. Second, and maybe more importantly, the RB can only gain rushing yards when the offense gives him the ball. The Bills are a pass-first team. I don’t expect them to suddenly become a ground and pound team and neither does anyone else. 

• Agree 1

26 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

I’m completely lost on your premise here. First, it’s not unusual for RBs to pick up yards near the end of games when the defense is tired. It’s actually expected. Second, and maybe more importantly, the RB can only gain rushing yards when the offense gives him the ball. The Bills are a pass-first team. I don’t expect them to suddenly become a ground and pound team and neither does anyone else. 

It is very common for RBs to average more yards late in games. Derrick Henry no less averages less than 4 yards per carry in the 1st Qrtr.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

People assume whatever they want. I never said anything about Cook as a player. 

What if it’s more about Ken Dorsey than James Cook? I like to have discussions. 

21 hours ago, PBF81 said:

Almost all of Cook's rushing yards have been with us leading.  

He's got 13 carries for 36 yards when we're tied or trailing.  

He has no rushing TDs.

All but one of his carries have been on 1st or 2nd down.  

He's useless in the Red Zone;  8 carries for 22 yards, no 1st-Downs or TDs.  

In the first halves of games he's got 21 carries for 93 yards, a 4.3 YPC average, and 4 1st-Downs. 

In the second halves of games he's got 22 carries for 174 yards, 7.9 YPC average, 8 1st-Downs.  

It's the 4th Q with us up insumountably is where he's shone.  11 carries for 106 yards, 9.6 YPC.  4 1st-Downs  

Calling him a "bell cow" is way premature.  A heavy dose of caution is recommended here.  

FWIW 

Let's see how he does as a "bell cow" with the games on the line.  

And defenses are committing to stop the run when trailing late in games so that stat is arguably even more impressive for cook and neutral at worst 

Icing a game with a rb is incredibly beneficial 

Edited by Generic_Bills_Fan
  • Like (+1) 1

22 hours ago, pigpen65 said:

Imagine a GM with Marshawn Lynch and Fred Jackson on the roster thinking RB is the biggest need with a top 10 pick. Jesus Christ

Certainly, one of the stranger picks in Bills history.  You don't have a good roster but you do have really good RBs.  But instead of fixing a weakness, you triplicate a strength.  

But watching Beane build this RB committee has been satisfying.  One RB on a rookie contract and two others on very affordable deals gives us a good running game on a budget.  

Edited by hondo in seattle
  • Like (+1) 1

People assume whatever they want. I never said anything about Cook as a player. 

What if it’s more about Ken Dorsey than James Cook? I like to have discussions. 

I like to have discussions too. But if you’re going to start one it’s WAY EASIER if we understand what discussion you’d like to have. So….now it appears you believe that the Bills should run the ball more earlier in the game? Last week they were up 37-0 late in the fourth quarter. Do you contend it would’ve been a wider spread if we had just run more? I’m not sure I’m following. 

Edited by SoCal Deek

I love Cooks running style. Super smooth cuts and no wasted movements. He is averaging over 6 yards per carry. They better keep feeding him this year. Let Murray & Harris get the end zone/short yardage plays, but anything between the 20s should go to Cook. I think he’ll have about 1200 yards 5 TDs by the end of the year. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Generic_Bills_Fan said:

And defenses are committing to stop the run when trailing late in games so that stat is arguably even more impressive for cook and neutral at worst 

Icing a game with a rb is incredibly beneficial 

Double-edged sword there.  

On 9/28/2023 at 10:26 AM, Buffalo_Stampede said:

Having a RB who can take advantage of an opponent’s broken will is still worth something. 

Let me ask you this, did Singletary or Moss manage that kind of garbage yardage in the 4th quarter of big wins? 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.