Dare I say Chris Brown is a better PBP man than John Murphy?

Pine Barrens Mafia

Neither one is that good I rather have Van Miller with his bad eyes at the end of his career then either one of these two Buffalo Bills play by play announcers. I blame the university and colleges training announcers in a television style instead of the other way around training them in a radio description style. They both can’t help they weren’t schooled right and just lack the talent Van Miller had in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

I like Brownie more than Murph at this point.  I think he’s done a nice job.  If you’ve heard other radio PBP, you’d know how good we have it.  Gene Deckerhoff in Tampa does a nice job and people here love the “Fire the Cannons” when the Bucs score, but Chris does a nice job.

He’s also the draw on One Bills Live vs. Tasker who constantly can’t finish a thought.  He’s a decent guy, but his radio presence lacks at times.

• Agree 1

55 minutes ago, RobbRiddick said:

Listening to the postgame show and they just played this clip of Brown calling Cooks TD. It really is a thing of bizarre beauty:

COOK HAS FOUND THE KITCHEN! AND THE RECIPE ON THAT TOUCHDOWN? SPICY!!!!!!!

I just came here to comment on how dumb of a call that was. Also sounded like he rehearsed it for weeks and couldn’t wait to come out with it. 

1 minute ago, RobbRiddick said:

It was the kind of thing a Will Ferrell character would come out with whole announcing a game.

So… stupid comedy. 

and I like Will Farrell most of the time. But his shtick wouldn’t be good in a drama, horror, action movie. 

but maybe that’s the answer as to why Brown did it. Because yesterday, this team was a joke. 

On 10/23/2023 at 5:00 AM, RobbRiddick said:

Listening to the postgame show and they just played this clip of Brown calling Cooks TD. It really is a thing of bizarre beauty:

That’s just pathetic. 

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

So after the stupid Spicy call and now calling Kincaid a Vacuum call, we all agree its time for Chris Brown to stick to OBL?

I don't listen to the radio broadcasts but they play some of the highlights on WGR in the morning and today they played his call after the Ed Oliver sack "RIDE EM COWBOY"

It's just turning into comedy relief for me at this point 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, thenorthremembers said:

So after the stupid Spicy call and now calling Kincaid a Vacuum call, we all agree its time for Chris Brown to stick to OBL?

It’s a bit over the top but I think people forget that Van Miller had some (what would be considered now cringey) statements like that. But it was endearing for some reason.

6 minutes ago, Einstein said:

It’s a bit over the top but I think people forget that Van Miller had some (what would be considered now cringey) statements like that. But it was endearing for some reason.

Brown seems to be trying way too hard with them 

• Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Einstein said:

"It is bedlam! It is fandemonium! It is....FAN-TAS-TIC!" one the great calls in Bills history...

Edited by Big Turk
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Big Turk said:

"It is bedlam! It is fandemonium! It is....FAN-TAS-TIC!" one the great calls in Bills history...

Exactly.

I love it.

But if Chris Brown said it… people would crush him for it.

And “Fasten your seat belts. It’s going to be a bumpy ride!”

• Dislike 1

2 minutes ago, Einstein said:

Exactly.

I love it.

But if Chris Brown said it… people would crush him for it.

And “Fasten your seat belts. It’s going to be a bumpy ride!”

I think it's all in the delivery...Van Miller's delivery was like that of a person navigating you thru a game by painting pictures in your mind like RJ did, Chris Brown is that of a guy being a puppy dog that is constantly begging for your attention and won't leave you alone. Just gets annoying after a while.

Edited by Big Turk
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

On 10/23/2023 at 5:00 AM, RobbRiddick said:

To me it sounds way too scripted and lacking any spontaneity. I get the sense that he spends nights in his study composing silly puns around player names, hoping he’ll get credited with being the author of the next ‘top shelf cookie jar’ or ‘do you believe in miracles?’ classics. He just sounds disingenuous and his 3 octave range is like fingernails on a chalkboard. Glad I don’t depend on WGR for the games. The highlights are about all I can handle. 

• Agree 1

3 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

After awhile, it was clear Murphy coming back was unlikely. Brown is OBD’s guy, anointed and unchallenged.

Given their fondness of Glab, hope Sal Capaccio doesn’t fall out of favor or for some reason, no longer does the sideline job anytime soon. 

Maddy is likely waiting in the wing with blessing from on high.

oh God, I was only kidding. That would be horrendous (for people who are forced for whatever reason to tune in to the radio broadcast).

3 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

After awhile, it was clear Murphy coming back was unlikely. Brown is OBD’s guy, anointed and unchallenged.

Given their fondness of Glab, hope Sal Capaccio doesn’t fall out of favor or for some reason, no longer does the sideline job anytime soon. 

Maddy is likely waiting in the wing with blessing from on high.

More like I wonder who Glab has for sexual harassment if they tried to get rid of her.

• Eyeroll 1

5 hours ago, Goin Breakdown said:

"The cook is in the kitchen and the recipe is sssssspicy". I just can't. that was so bad. 

OMG did he actually say this during the game.

The producer and/or engineer should have immediately gone to 30 minutes of dead air.  

that is really bad.

• Haha (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.