The New Stadium & the Wall of Fame

KingBoots8

I hadn’t seen much conversation regarding how the new stadium will pay homage to the former players and staff who paved the way years ago. It’s been over 6 years since someone was added to the wall (Cookie in 2017), and with the old stadium riding into the sunset, I can’t see anyone being added before 2026 in the new stadium.

I wonder what fans would like to see - something similar to what we have currently, something completely new, or scrap it altogether? On that very same note: who would you want to see join the wall? I have a top-5 I’d like to see, specifically highlighting the drought-era:

1. Kyle Williams: The heart and soul of the drought-era Bills. He played long enough that the current regime was able to meet him, and I could see them making a push for him to get his place. Great player, great person, and a huge fan favorite. It’s not a matter of “if”, but “when” he gets his spot.

2. Eric Moulds: Arguably the 2nd best WR ever on the Bills, with Diggs working his way into that spot over the next few seasons. 3x Pro Bowler, over 9,000 yards, and 10 seasons with us. 

3. Fred Jackson: Fred-ex was probably our best offensive player for a few years. His journey makes it impossible to not love the guy, and after years of playing second fiddle to some deserving (Lynch) and some not-so-deserving (Spiller) players, he was given a shot and, literally, ran with it. 3rd all-time leading rusher for Buffalo, and you still see people rocking “22” jerseys in the stands.

4. Brian Moorman: Another popular player with fans, and someone still active in the community today with his charitable foundations, he leads the Bills in punts, punt yards, and longest punt in franchise history. 2x Pro Bowler, 2x All Pro. He’s got the stats and tenure to make it up there. 

5. Rain Lindell: 83.3% accuracy as a kicker is an incredible feat, and was only 38 points away from tying Steve Christie for most points all-time for the franchise. He was unsung hero for us in a time with few things to celebrate, but he was so dependable and at the very least made a few sorry teams look better than they were. Bass might overtake him and Christie someday, but lucky we have a team nowadays that scores TD’s. Lindell was great and deserves recognition for his 12 year stint with us.

HM: Cornelius Bennett: Had to add him to my list even if he played before the “dark ages” of the Bills lol. I get why I’ve isn’t up already. I can understand the hesitation to add him, but if we look at the player and not the person (hello, OJ) he deserves his place. 

So what would you like to see kept, changed, removed, or added at the new stadium?

• Agree 2

8 minutes ago, KingBoots8 said:

I hadn’t seen much conversation regarding how the new stadium will pay homage to the former players and staff who paved the way years ago. It’s been over 6 years since someone was added to the wall (Cookie in 2017), and with the old stadium riding into the sunset, I can’t see anyone being added before 2026 in the new stadium.

I wonder what fans would like to see - something similar to what we have currently, something completely new, or scrap it altogether? On that very same note: who would you want to see join the wall? I have a top-5 I’d like to see, specifically highlighting the drought-era:

1. Kyle Williams: The heart and soul of the drought-era Bills. He played long enough that the current regime was able to meet him, and I could see them making a push for him to get his place. Great player, great person, and a huge fan favorite. It’s not a matter of “if”, but “when” he gets his spot.

2. Eric Moulds: Arguably the 2nd best WR ever on the Bills, with Diggs working his way into that spot over the next few seasons. 3x Pro Bowler, over 9,000 yards, and 10 seasons with us. 

3. Fred Jackson: Fred-ex was probably our best offensive player for a few years. His journey makes it impossible to not love the guy, and after years of playing second fiddle to some deserving (Lynch) and some not-so-deserving (Spiller) players, he was given a shot and, literally, ran with it. 3rd all-time leading rusher for Buffalo, and you still see people rocking “22” jerseys in the stands.

4. Brian Moorman: Another popular player with fans, and someone still active in the community today with his charitable foundations, he leads the Bills in punts, punt yards, and longest punt in franchise history. 2x Pro Bowler, 2x All Pro. He’s got the stats and tenure to make it up there. 

5. Rain Lindell: 83.3% accuracy as a kicker is an incredible feat, and was only 38 points away from tying Steve Christie for most points all-time for the franchise. He was unsung hero for us in a time with few things to celebrate, but he was so dependable and at the very least made a few sorry teams look better than they were. Bass might overtake him and Christie someday, but lucky we have a team nowadays that scores TD’s. Lindell was great and deserves recognition for his 12 year stint with us.

HM: Cornelius Bennett: Had to add him to my list even if he played before the “dark ages” of the Bills lol. I get why I’ve isn’t up already. I can understand the hesitation to add him, but if we look at the player and not the person (hello, OJ) he deserves his place. 

So what would you like to see kept, changed, removed, or added at the new stadium?

A Bills Hall of Fame inside the stadium.

• Like (+1) 9
  • Agree 5

I'm on board for Kyle Williams and Eric Moulds. Those guys were excellent by NFL standards.

I'm not really on board with Fred Jackson. He was an average NFL running back. I get that he was super popular and he has a great story, but the bug reason he is so loved is because he was basically the only decent thing about the Bills offense for a long time. To me, that doesn't make you wall of fame worthy.

Brian Moorman is an interesting one. I'm not sure what to think because he was really good, but he was also just a punter, so I guess I'll say no to that.

Butch Byrd is the guy who really needs to be added. 5x AFL All-Star, 3x First Team All-AFL, 40 INT's (Bills franchise leader). He should have been added a long time ago.

• Disagree 3
  • Agree 3

8 minutes ago, MJS said:

I'm on board for Kyle Williams and Eric Moulds. Those guys were excellent by NFL standards.

I'm not really on board with Fred Jackson. He was an average NFL running back. I get that he was super popular and he has a great story, but the bug reason he is so loved is because he was basically the only decent thing about the Bills offense for a long time. To me, that doesn't make you wall of fame worthy.

Brian Moorman is an interesting one. I'm not sure what to think because he was really good, but he was also just a punter, so I guess I'll say no to that.

Butch Byrd is the guy who really needs to be added. 5x AFL All-Star, 3x First Team All-AFL, 40 INT's (Bills franchise leader). He should have been added a long time ago.

Fred Jackson had a lot of excellent characteristics and stats by NFL standards.

Fun fact: he was the first player in NFL history to compile 1,000 rushing and 1,000 kickoff return yards in a single season.

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

That'd be cool.  

I'm simply interested in what the details of the inside of the stadium will look like and still perplexed as to why they're not out yet.  

Where would a WOF be in the new stadium.  The sides are typically reserved for the ribbon electronics.  

When are these virtual tours going to begin.  

1 hour ago, PromoTheRobot said:

The Atlanta Braves stadium has a mini-museum built along one of the concourses. I’m not much into baseball or museums, but I liked the way they blended that in. Cool idea. 

1 hour ago, KingBoots8 said:

You guys gotta' let go of the idea of Cornelius Bennett being there.

Had he been honored prior to the sexual assault conviction and incarceration maybe they don't take him off............but no way he gets in after-the-fact.

• Agree 2

30 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

Fun fact: he was the first player in NFL history to compile 1,000 rushing and 1,000 kickoff return yards in a single season.

Sorry. Not wall of fame worthy to me. Love him, though.

2 hours ago, MJS said:

Sorry. Not wall of fame worthy to me. Love him, though.

Agree but I see I'm getting some disagreement about Simpson being removed. Sorry but I just think there is more than on field to qualify one for hall of fame type of recognition. Look at Pete Rose in baseball. If he is passed over why should Simpson not be? Maybe football has different standards?

3 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I loved Fred Jackson's play, but I agree that Kyle Williams & Eric Moulds are more deserving than him.

29 minutes ago, Radar said:

Agree but I see I'm getting some disagreement about Simpson being removed. Sorry but I just think there is more than on field to qualify one for hall of fame type of recognition. Look at Pete Rose in baseball. If he is passed over why should Simpson not be? Maybe football has different standards?

In my opinion Pete Rose is like Bill Beli-CHEAT and this proves NFL standards are lower than baseball.

On Simpson all issues occurred post being put in Pro Hall of Fame and on Wall of Fame so things are different.

1 minute ago, Mark Vader said:

I loved Fred Jackson's play, but I agree that Kyle Williams & Eric Moulds are more deserving than him.

Williams and Moulds more yes but that does not mean Fred Jackson does not deserve nor does not mean every player who does not enter Hall of Fame on first ballot does not deserve to be there.

4 hours ago, MJS said:

That season Fred Jackson got injured in Miami, he was on pace for an all purpose 2300 yard season. Everyone’s perspective of him would be totally different if actually had a chance to finish off that league MVP caliber year. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

4 hours ago, MJS said:

I disagree about Freddie.  If he had a good OL in front of him and played on a perennial playoff team, he'd be a HOF nominee.  

If I recall correctly, he led the NFL in yards after contact one season.  He was a tough, talented runner and, like Thurman, he was also a great all-around back.  

It sucked that he played on the Bills during the dark ages when his talent was mostly wasted.  But he was one of the few bright lights during those miserable years and I'd love to see him on the Wall - with Kyle, Eric, and Butch.  

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I'd be fine with not having names on the wall inside the stadium at all, BUT as others have said replace them with a Bills hall of fame in the stadium.  I think there is such a thing as 'too many names on the wall', yet in a Bills Hall of Fame, for some reason I'd be better with more members there.

5 hours ago, MJS said:

I'm not really on board with Fred Jackson. He was an average NFL running back.

Fred averaged nearly 4.5 yards per carry in a decade where teams knew we COULD NOT PASS. That is a remarkable feat.

He was a sole glimmer of happiness in many dull seasons, outlasted several running backs meant to supplant him, and was a dawg.

If it were my choice, he would be the first new candidate on the wall.

If we want to talk about stats that have not stood up to the test of time, Moulds stats look mighty soft. Only 2 of 12 seasons were had 90 or more receptions. Only 1 season with double digit TD’s. But he was a great player.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

My idea would be something like this. 

A wide hallway with Bills memorabilia from important games and milestones in display cases built into the wall. Hall leads down to an area with 2 rooms. Room 1would have  replicas of the busts for each of the Bills HoF members. Maybe a fake locker next to each with a jersey and such next to it. Something that looks cool. Room 2 would have something (not quite sure what) to honor long time Buffalo Bills that contributed to the history of the team. Joe Ferguson. Kyle Williams. This would be the new "Wall of Fame". 

Leading up to the room, however would be football shaped bricks built into the floor. Each important member of the Bills past would have their name on a 🏈 shaped brick. That way guys like Fred Jackson, Brian Moorman ect could be honored and remembered as "building blocks" of the franchise. Think football's version of the Hollywood Walk of Fame.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, KingBoots8 said:

Better hope that Lindell doesn't have to make it over 50 yards to get on the wall...

Anyways Kyle, Schobel and Moorman belong.

49 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Sign me up for Moulds, Kyle and Fred.  Putting them on the wall separates them from the other very good Bills.  Imo, they deserves separation.  They were special Bills to me.  I can understand if others disagree 

Fred Jackson?!?! Wow.... I mean he was an excellent player with an excellent underdog story who did excellent things, but c'mon man, he's clearly not as excellent as Kyle and Moulds.

😉

6 hours ago, hondo in seattle said:

I disagree about Freddie.  If he had a good OL in front of him and played on a perennial playoff team, he'd be a HOF nominee.  

If I recall correctly, he led the NFL in yards after contact one season.  He was a tough, talented runner and, like Thurman, he was also a great all-around back.  

It sucked that he played on the Bills during the dark ages when his talent was mostly wasted.  But he was one of the few bright lights during those miserable years and I'd love to see him on the Wall - with Kyle, Eric, and Butch.  

He's the epitome of a wall of fame-type player. Fan favorite, underdog story being undrafted and working his way through IFL and Europe, and excellent player who led the league at one point in multiple statistical measures.

5 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

Fred Jackson?!?! Wow.... I mean he was an excellent player with an excellent underdog story who did excellent things, but c'mon man, he's clearly not as excellent as Kyle and Moulds.

😉

Wow!!!!!!!!

Phil Hansen is on the WoF. He’s not nearly as excellent as Kent Hull!!  See what I did there?  

You’re saying that one player isn’t worthy of the WoF because he wasn’t as good as other players mentioned.  If that were the case, then several current WoF members shouldn’t be on the wall.  

And as I said…..I can understand if others disagree with them.  

Fred was my guy.  Probably my favorite Bill to date.  I loved what he stood for.  I loved his running style and I loved his relentlessness on the field.  Maximizing every run with his effort.  If he was on the 90’s team instead of Thurman, I believe he’d be in the HoF and the WoF.  He wasn’t nearly as good as TT, but he would’ve put up HoF numbers for that team.  I feel that RBs that play in offenses with crappy QBs and crappy WRs are at a serious disadvantage.  

During his time as a Bill, starters at LT and RT included Kirk Chambers, Mansfield Wrotto, Erik Pears, Chris Hairston, Langston Walker, Demetress Bell and Seantrel Henderson.  He had Peters for a year and Cordy for a few years, but overall, our OL was not good. His WRs were straight trash.  His QBs were straight trash.  His TEs were straight trash.  And for one season, 2011, he was in the running for MVP, before an injury ended his season after 10 games.  With Hairston and Pears as his tackles, he averaged 5.5 ypc.  That team started out 5-2 (thanks to him) and ended up winning one game after his injury.  

but if you disagree….. I understand.  For me, he’s an all time Bill.  During a time of serious futility, Fred kept me interested and gave me something to root for during his 8 years as a Bill.  To me, that makes him worthy of the WoF

• Awesome! (+1) 1

45 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Wow!!!!!!!!

Phil Hansen is on the WoF. He’s not nearly as excellent as Kent Hull!!  See what I did there?  

You’re saying that one player isn’t worthy of the WoF because he wasn’t as good as other players mentioned.  If that were the case, then several current WoF members shouldn’t be on the wall.  

And as I said…..I can understand if others disagree with them.  

Fred was my guy.  Probably my favorite Bill to date.  I loved what he stood for.  I loved his running style and I loved his relentlessness on the field.  Maximizing every run with his effort.  If he was on the 90’s team instead of Thurman, I believe he’d be in the HoF and the WoF.  He wasn’t nearly as good as TT, but he would’ve put up HoF numbers for that team.  I feel that RBs that play in offenses with crappy QBs and crappy WRs are at a serious disadvantage.  

During his time as a Bill, starters at LT and RT included Kirk Chambers, Mansfield Wrotto, Erik Pears, Chris Hairston, Langston Walker, Demetress Bell and Seantrel Henderson.  He had Peters for a year and Cordy for a few years, but overall, our OL was not good. His WRs were straight trash.  His QBs were straight trash.  His TEs were straight trash.  And for one season, 2011, he was in the running for MVP, before an injury ended his season after 10 games.  With Hairston and Pears as his tackles, he averaged 5.5 ypc.  That team started out 5-2 (thanks to him) and ended up winning one game after his injury.  

but if you disagree….. I understand.  For me, he’s an all time Bill.  During a time of serious futility, Fred kept me interested and gave me something to root for during his 8 years as a Bill.  To me, that makes him worthy of the WoF

If you look at the thread, I've been arguing for Fred too. I tried putting the winky face to indicate my sarcasm. Still didn't work.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, LeGOATski said:

If you look at the thread, I've been arguing for Fred too. I tried putting the winky face to indicate my sarcasm. Still didn't work.

🤣 my bad!

I woke up to take a dump, saw your post and replied to it. Didn’t notice the wink nor did read anything upthread.

• Haha (+1) 1

18 hours ago, MJS said:

I would definitely take Moorman. He was our only defense during the dark days.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.