1992 AFC Championship Game

Low Positive

I am watching the 1992 AFC Championship Game on YouTube

I probably watched this game, but it was during the first weekend of the second semester of my freshman year in college so I might have been busy with a hangover. A couple of things jump out:

• Dick Enberg and Bob Trumpy were a really good broadcast team and better than any team currently working in the NFL for any network.
  • Bruce Smith was an absolute game-wrecker. I know that we talk a lot about Donald or Parsons now, but Bruce just destroyed Marino in this game.
  • The Bills were known for their high-flying passing attack, but they ran the ball a whole lot. 
  • There were so many fewer flags. Bryan Cox got a roughing the passer call. It was so egregious that if someone did that in today's league they would have been suspended.
  • You could mug WRs back then. I think if Marino had played with today's PI rules he would have won multiple Super Bowls. 
  • Kickers are sooooo much better today. They made a huge deal out of a 50-yarder that's routine now.
  • Early 90's Honda Accords and Acura Legends were really solid cars with a timeless look
  • Kelly was not an accurate passer. He missed wide-open guys and threw a pick in the first quarter that was worse than any that Josh threw in Week 1.
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I always have said watching this game, it was a very sloppy AFC championship games from both offenses. The Bills may have won but they looked awful on offense and it was an omen for what was about to happen in the Super Bowl unfortunately.  If the Dolphins could have even play above average they would have won that game.

The difference in athleticism from that era to now is also incredibly noticeable. Same with kickers like you stated.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, gonzo1105 said:

I always have said watching this game, it was a very sloppy AFC championship games from both offenses. The Bills may have won but they looked awful on offense and it was an omen for what was about to happen in the Super Bowl unfortunately.  If the Dolphins could have even play above average they would have won that game.

The difference in athleticism from that era to now is also incredibly noticeable. Same with kickers like you stated.

More violent but a lot slower. 

3 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

I probably watched this game, but it was during the first weekend of the second semester of my freshman year in college so I might have been busy with a hangover. A couple of things jump out:

• Dick Enberg and Bob Trumpy were a really good broadcast team and better than any team currently working in the NFL for any network.
  • Bruce Smith was an absolute game-wrecker. I know that we talk a lot about Donald or Parsons now, but Bruce just destroyed Marino in this game.
  • The Bills were known for their high-flying passing attack, but they ran the ball a whole lot. 
  • There were so many fewer flags. Bryan Cox got a roughing the passer call. It was so egregious that if someone did that in today's league they would have been suspended.
  • You could mug WRs back then. I think if Marino had played with today's PI rules he would have won multiple Super Bowls. 
  • Kickers are sooooo much better today. They made a huge deal out of a 50-yarder that's routine now.
  • Early 90's Honda Accords and Acura Legends were really solid cars with a timeless look
  • Kelly was not an accurate passer. He missed wide-open guys and threw a pick in the first quarter that was worse than any that Josh threw in Week 1.

I was at that game. 

• Like (+1) 2

The next day I was at a little hole in the wall ticket office buying seats for the Super Bowl. I had to drive to an office in Anaheim somewhere to get my seats. This was before ticket websites, etc. I honestly don’t recall how I even found those folks but the tickets were legit and even though we got our butts kicked at the Rose Bowl it’s still up there as lifelong memory. I treated my Dad who had paid for season tickets for us growing up all those years in WNY. 

Edited by SoCal Deek
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 3

17 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

This was the only Bills playoff game I ever attended.  The Fin fans treated Bills fans horribly that day and it was a ton of fun!  

As for Kelly...  Not his best game.  But that was the great thing about the '90s Bills.  When Kelly was cold, we could rely on Thurman.  When Thurman was cold, we could rely on Kelly.  And opposing defenses had a conundrum - how do you stop a team that can both run and pass?    

If Kelly had a more normal day, the score would have been even more lopsided.  

17 hours ago, FrenchConnection said:

Disagree about Marino, I think in todays game he been killed behind what would definitely been a faulty line. (I don’t think anyone has a good line anymore) 

They changed the rules about corner backs holding and “mugging” receivers after the Colts whined about it after getting smashed by NE and Ty Law intercepted everything Manning threw including his lunch money (lol)

Bruce Smith was special and IMO would been a household name if not playing in the same age as Lawrence Taylor..

Kickers are definitely better, but the rule changes have helped them too, I am sure what the Pats did last week will be written up and made illegal for next year as an example.. (also not  allowed now to leap frog over the center.. )

People forget that Kelly was returning very early from a major knee injury to play in this game. This is why the offense didn't look like itself in the game. They had a very specific game plan to keep Kelly upright utilizing lots of screens and short passes, and of course the running game.

• Thank you (+1) 1

14 hours ago, Einstein said:

The commercials were much better back then.

I remember the Lee Jeans commercial where the waist button of a guy's jeans goes shooting off, ricocheting around the room.

Back in 1992, the obesity epidemic that's afflicting America now hadn't kicked in.  I think Lee Jeans was just ahead of its time.

42 minutes ago, PatsFanNH said:

Disagree about Marino, I think in todays game he been killed behind what would definitely been a faulty line. (I don’t think anyone has a good line anymore) 

They changed the rules about corner backs holding and “mugging” receivers after the Colts whined about it after getting smashed by NE and Ty Law intercepted everything Manning threw including his lunch money (lol)

Bruce Smith was special and IMO would been a household name if not playing in the same age as Lawrence Taylor..

Kickers are definitely better, but the rule changes have helped them too, I am sure what the Pats did last week will be written up and made illegal for next year as an example.. (also not  allowed now to leap frog over the center.. )

You don't think Bruce Smith was considered a household name back then?

15 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

People forget that Kelly was returning very early from a major knee injury to play in this game. This is why the offense didn't look like itself in the game. They had a very specific game plan to keep Kelly upright utilizing lots of screens and short passes, and of course the running game.

I remember this and thought at the time, and still do today, that the Bills should have stuck with the hot hand in Frank Reich.  I think they might have won the Super Bowl if they had.  I love Marv, but he didn't make the tough decision that Parcells made 3 years earlier when he played the hot hand in backup Jeff Hostetler (I'll leave it at that).  Kelly was nowhere near 100% and the Bills passing game was non-existent.  That whole Miami game was screen passes and nothing downfield.  The team was operating at peak efficiency with Reich at the helm and I don't think they should have messed with the chemistry.  If my memory serves me correctly, Kelly got knocked out of that Super Bowl game and Reich came in and played better that Kelly had, but the game was already out of reach.

Another item from this thread - I really was at the Comeback game.  I was with three other guys, two of whom wanted to leave at halftime.  We decided as a group to watch the first series of the 3rd quarter and then decide whether to stay or go.  Of course, the Bills threw a pick-6 and it actually got worse, but we had already committed (and it was a very warm day for January in Buffalo), so we toughed it out and stayed for the entire game.  From the group of 4 that were there, one lives in Arizona, one lives in Philadelphia, one lives in North Carolina and one stayed in Buffalo, but we all stay in touch to this day and talk about the Bills (via text) almost daily.

One more Marv Levy story that relates to this.  In the late 90's/early 2000's, I lived in Chicago.  One day, I was in my neighborhood grocery store and bumped into Marv in the produce section.  I introduced myself, told him I was a huge Bills fan, and that I was at the Comeback game.  Marv, without missing a beat, said "So was I!"  Classic Marv.  Marv lived in a high rise a couple blocks from where I lived.  He may still live there today.  The only other time I saw him was when he did a book signing at a local sports bar in the neighborhood.  His step daughter-used to come to the Bills bar (Delilah's) and watch games with us (she was very nice), as did Dick Jauron's daughters, when he was coaching the team.  They may have enjoyed the "I love Dick!" chant in the bar during a big win.

I've told all these stories on TBD before over the years, so my apologies to those who have read these before.  They are some of my favorite memories from the past, so I like to share them with fellow Bills fans. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

19 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I was at that game. 

So was I...

17 hours ago, HomeskillitMoorman said:

Nice, but I was at The Comeback game. 

and this one as well...

5 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

And none of them left early.

I can only speak for myself and my brother...we didn't 

5 hours ago, PatsFanNH said:

Not as much as Lawrence Taylor, I mean I knew who he was because he destroyed my Pats QB constantly. But outside of the teams he faced he wasn’t known like Taylor was. 

Reggie and Bruce are 1 and 2 in sacks, several seasons ahead of 3rd place and both were household names. Bruce had his own commercials with Nike, his own shoes. Bills were on national TV a lot and Bruce was always talked about. Taylor had more pop appeal but Bruce was too good to have somebody's shadow block him out. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

35 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

Reggie and Bruce are 1 and 2 in sacks, several seasons ahead of 3rd place and both were household names. Bruce had his own commercials with Nike, his own shoes. Bills were on national TV a lot and Bruce was always talked about. Taylor had more pop appeal but Bruce was too good to have somebody's shadow block him out. 

Not only that but I remember a story about the week leading up to the Super Bowl against the Giants, which was also the first year Bruce won NFL Defensive Player of the Year, during the media sessions Bruce was proclaiming it was officially his era and he was the best Defensive player in the league now and they went back to LT about it and LT pretty much agreed with it.  I know I have read this somewhere, there has gotta be some old-timers on this board who can back me up on this?

On 9/21/2023 at 5:35 PM, FrenchConnection said:

This was Kelly’s first game back from his knee injury and he looked pretty bad.  Fortunately, Thurman and the OL picked up the slack.  

On 9/22/2023 at 12:10 PM, RoyBatty is alive said:

Bill Polian and Ralph Wilson on the sidelines.  Wasn't it about a week later the infamous firing of Polian occurred? 

It was after the Super Bowl…according to Marv’s book, Polian and Ralph agreed to part ways earlier in the year but he agreed to stay through the end of the season

• Like (+1) 1

On 9/22/2023 at 12:26 PM, msw2112 said:

I remember this and thought at the time, and still do today, that the Bills should have stuck with the hot hand in Frank Reich.  I think they might have won the Super Bowl if they had.  I love Marv, but he didn't make the tough decision that Parcells made 3 years earlier when he played the hot hand in backup Jeff Hostetler (I'll leave it at that).  Kelly was nowhere near 100% and the Bills passing game was non-existent.  That whole Miami game was screen passes and nothing downfield.  The team was operating at peak efficiency with Reich at the helm and I don't think they should have messed with the chemistry.  If my memory serves me correctly, Kelly got knocked out of that Super Bowl game and Reich came in and played better that Kelly had, but the game was already out of reach.

Another item from this thread - I really was at the Comeback game.  I was with three other guys, two of whom wanted to leave at halftime.  We decided as a group to watch the first series of the 3rd quarter and then decide whether to stay or go.  Of course, the Bills threw a pick-6 and it actually got worse, but we had already committed (and it was a very warm day for January in Buffalo), so we toughed it out and stayed for the entire game.  From the group of 4 that were there, one lives in Arizona, one lives in Philadelphia, one lives in North Carolina and one stayed in Buffalo, but we all stay in touch to this day and talk about the Bills (via text) almost daily.

One more Marv Levy story that relates to this.  In the late 90's/early 2000's, I lived in Chicago.  One day, I was in my neighborhood grocery store and bumped into Marv in the produce section.  I introduced myself, told him I was a huge Bills fan, and that I was at the Comeback game.  Marv, without missing a beat, said "So was I!"  Classic Marv.  Marv lived in a high rise a couple blocks from where I lived.  He may still live there today.  The only other time I saw him was when he did a book signing at a local sports bar in the neighborhood.  His step daughter-used to come to the Bills bar (Delilah's) and watch games with us (she was very nice), as did Dick Jauron's daughters, when he was coaching the team.  They may have enjoyed the "I love Dick!" chant in the bar during a big win.

I've told all these stories on TBD before over the years, so my apologies to those who have read these before.  They are some of my favorite memories from the past, so I like to share them with fellow Bills fans. 

There may be some truth to this.  I too wondered if the Bills should have stuck with Reich, not after the Houston game, but after going into Pittsburgh and easily taking down a pretty good Steelers team.   It always seemed like the team played up for Reich.

As tough as Kelly was, I think playing through injuries sometimes hurt the team more than it helped.   This game was an example, as was the 1996 loss in Pittsburgh.  

P

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.