Elam a healthy scratch part deux (now part TRES) (now part QUATRO)

FireChans

6 hours ago, Success said:

I think they do that at times.  I'm still not sure why Dorian Williams isn't being given much of a chance. I'll take his mistakes for long-term growth and a bigger upside, over what we know we're getting w/ Dodson.

Elam was bad in London, but that was such a weird game.  I thought he improved a lot the next week, and now he's not playing.

In fairness to Dodson (who was terrible in London) he actually played pretty well when he came in on Sunday. I get the "rather take my lumps with the higher upside rookie" point. I agree. But the Bills with the injuries they have on that side of the ball clearly feel like they can't afford too many learning on the job guys. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Billl said:

Just saw that he played 0 defensive snaps and 6 on ST after playing a combined 157 the 2 weeks prior.  What gives?

That's because he's third on the depth chart at outside corner and Benford was injured in London while Jackson was injured against the Giants.  Chiefs fans man.  Try to keep up.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Drew21PA said:

Some are dillusional on this kid

hes not good - they were wrong his first round grade

move on

4 minutes ago, Mr. WEO said:

I don't understand the great mystery here...

His awareness is pretty bad. You could see it from the stands against the giants. It’s a massive whiff of a pick. Dude is really athletic, but he’s not a good football player. I wish it was different. He will be traded in the offseason for a late round pick 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 2

Just now, Captain Hindsight said:

His awareness is pretty bad. You could see it from the stands against the giants. It’s a massive whiff of a pick. Dude is really athletic, but he’s not a good football player. I wish it was different. He will be traded in the offseason for a late round pick 

Cut - he won’t be in the league long 

2 hours ago, Captain_Quint said:

Leodis McKelvin had more football sense than Elam has. At least he could return kicks (and sometimes not fumble them). 

Leodis was completely superior to Elam in his pass defending skills. Elam looks like a freshman high school kid learning the position. How in the hell did he go in the first round and what was Beane thinking?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Livinginthepast said:

Leodis was completely superior to Elam in his pass defending skills. Elam looks like a freshman high school kid learning the position. How in the hell did he go in the first round and what was Beane thinking?

He looked good at Florida, but it's like he forgot everything he once knew. Maybe he was never really that good and it's a big swing and miss by Beane. 

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, FrenchConnection said:

They might be trading him. NHL and NBA teams hold guys out all the time right before they're traded.

I don’t think Buffalo kept him active but held him off the field in order to protect a potential 7th round pick they might receive in trade.

• Like (+1) 1

• 2 months later...
On 10/26/2023 at 7:32 PM, Beck Water said:

If it's to the point where we've got Josh Norman active ahead of our last year's #1 pick, he's either getting traded OR he's really bad.

Trade?  Best we could get is a pallet of Labbatt Blue...which isn't bad, but....

• 2 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, TrentEdwardsCheckDownOn4th said:

Elams interception in the end zone was a huge momentum changer. Bills could have lost the game without that play. 

And Elam really redeemed himself.... before the interception he looked lost, allowing a big catch and then commitng a penalty to set up 1st and goal.  

I said it somewhere else - but that interception is the kind of play that changes career trajectory.  I hope that gives him the confidence back that he can be an nfl corner.   Often it seems it’s 90% mental, 10% physical.   He has all the physical tools.   Just go do your thing with confidence.  Time will tell…but man I was happy to see him ball out yesterday after the interception.  

james cook had a similar breakout this year. He was nothing.  Fumbled.  Rode the pine. Then had a HUGE game - now look at him.  

keep rolling!

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.