Consolation prize - the Jets are screwed

dickleyjones

Yes losing sucks. But in the grand scheme of this season i'm not sure what is better, winning that jets game with Rogers still intact or losing with the jets season being destroyed. Of course I lean win because winning is never bad. But considering the Jets could very well have challenged us for a playoff spot with Rogers around, Floyd's play may have been more important than winning.

And yeah, i'd prefer we go 17-0 but the truth is bills dolphins jets are all contenders and there is only so much room. The jets are almost certainly out of the way now.

Jets are like the Dilfer era bucs.  Extraordinary D with a caretaker QB.  Im not sure Wilson is even a caretaker level QB yet but he walked away with a win while our galaxy brain QB turned the ball over 4 times.  I guess we'll see in the coming weeks.  If the Jets can keep that level of play on D, wilson isn't going to need to do much more than 13-20 points a game

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

Just now, QB Bills said:

As much as Monday sucked for a Bills fan. It was way worse for the Jets. Seeing your super bowl hopes disappear 5 minutes into the season was sad. For them of course. But f them. I thought it was hilarious.

always funny when someone suffers a season ending injury, said a very good person

• Like (+1) 2

That defense will keep them in every game. Those RBs will move the chains. Garrett Wilson will help Zach Wilson on some plays. 

While losing Rodgers obviously hurts, it allows them to get away for 3 WR sets and lean into a more conservative offensive style...which may be what they are stronger at anyway. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4

Just now, BuffaloBillyG said:

That defense will keep them in every game. Those RBs will move the chains. Garrett Wilson will help Zach Wilson on some plays. 

While losing Rodgers obviously hurts, it allows them to get away for 3 WR sets and lean into a more conservative offensive style...which may be what they are stronger at anyway. 

At least with the Jets you can see the pathway to success. Run the ball a lot with Hall and Cook. Sprinkle in some Play action to Garrett Wilson, play good defense.

Given that Allen appears to still be firmly in idiot mode, what exactly is the Bills alternate path to success?

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

Just now, That's No Moon said:

At least with the Jets you can see the pathway to success. Run the ball a lot with Hall and Cook. Sprinkle in some Play action to Garrett Wilson, play good defense.

Given that Allen appears to still be firmly in idiot mode, what exactly is the Bills alternate path to success?

Seeing how the Jets responded to the worst sort of adversity, versus how Buffalo reacted to having the game handed to them on a silver platter, tells you a lot about both teams

4 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

Seeing how the Jets responded to the worst sort of adversity, versus how Buffalo reacted to having the game handed to them on a silver platter, tells you a lot about both teams

I really don't think the rest of the jets team played that game any better than they would have with Rodgers. I dont think they "responded" at all. They just took advantage of what Allen gave them.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

As much as Monday sucked for a Bills fan, it was way worse for the Jets. Seeing your super bowl hopes disappear 5 minutes into the season was sad. For them of course. But eff them. I thought it was hilarious.

I'm not going to lose sleep or sympathize for the Jets. We lost our HOF caliber pass rusher last year.  Deal with it fireman Ed.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 4

35 minutes ago, dickleyjones said:

Yes losing sucks. But in the grand scheme of this season i'm not sure what is better, winning that jets game with Rogers still intact or losing with the jets season being destroyed. Of course I lean win because winning is never bad. But considering the Jets could very well have challenged us for a playoff spot with Rogers around, Floyd's play may have been more important than winning.

And yeah, i'd prefer we go 17-0 but the truth is bills dolphins jets are all contenders and there is only so much room. The jets are almost certainly out of the way now.

I mean I wouldn't say they are for sure screwed...Wilson was a recent #2 overall pic...yes he struggled early, but it doesn't mean he can't keep evolving as a player and growing, and he has now beaten us twice in the past 2 seasons.  

Am I optimistic that Wilson can lead them to the playoffs in a tough division and AFC...no...but I am also not going to dismiss it.  Jimmy G who is mediocre starter led the Niners to a SB and almost another one because of a great D and run game.  Jets IMO are going to try now and follow more the Niners model and get their talented RB room going and try and keep Wilson from having to carry the team at all.  

Although, the Jets OL is not very good, so its not gonna be easy either.  Just saying, if Wilson can just be average, with that roster they can still be a very tough opponent.  

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I mean I wouldn't say they are for sure screwed...Wilson was a recent #2 overall pic...yes he struggled early, but it doesn't mean he can't keep evolving as a player and growing, and he has now beaten us twice in the past 2 seasons.  

Am I optimistic that Wilson can lead them to the playoffs in a tough division and AFC...no...but I am also not going to dismiss it.  Jimmy G who is mediocre starter led the Niners to a SB and almost another one because of a great D and run game.  Jets IMO are going to try now and follow more the Niners model and get their talented RB room going and try and keep Wilson from having to carry the team at all.  

Although, the Jets OL is not very good, so its not gonna be easy either.  Just saying, if Wilson can just be average, with that roster they can still be a very tough opponent.  

You're going to find out what zach wilson is capable of this week

May God have mercy on his soul

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

Devils advocate - they still beat the Bills. If they view this as they can beat any teams with their D they could easily win games - 2 vs Pats, Broncos, Raiders, Falcons, Texans, Commanders, Browns. That is 9 wins. They only need a couple more wins in 2 games vs Fins, Giants, Cowboys, Chiefs, Eagles, Chargers. Can they win two of those and get to 11? Maybe. 

Just now, ngbills said:

Devils advocate - they still beat the Bills. If they view this as they can beat any teams with their D they could easily win games - 2 vs Pats, Broncos, Raiders, Falcons, Texans, Commanders, Browns. That is 9 wins. They only need a couple more wins in 2 games vs Fins, Giants, Cowboys, Chiefs, Eagles, Chargers. Can they win two of those and get to 11? Maybe. 

assumption doing a whole lot of heavy lifting there friend

• Like (+1) 1

I honestly feel bad for the Jets and their fans.  I hate New England and Miami, obviously, but I just don't have the same animosity toward the Jets.  They're a snakebitten franchises that can't seem to catch a break, so I guess I feel a little bit of affinity toward them.  It helps that the Jets and Bills have never really been relevant at the same time, at least since our SB era.  

If ever there was a roster that is just one above-average QB away from the SB, it is this year's Jets team.  They thought they had their QB and it came up snake-eyes.  That really hurts bad when you consider the cap implications.

40 minutes ago, QB Bills said:

As much as Monday sucked for a Bills fan, it was way worse for the Jets. Seeing your super bowl hopes disappear 5 minutes into the season was sad. For them of course. But eff them. I thought it was hilarious.

I mean, just imagine buy a really expensive ticket just to get a good seat and watch Aaron Rodgers.  I do feel bad for those.

4 minutes ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

You're going to find out what zach wilson is capable of this week

May God have mercy on his soul

I mean just to be clear I am no believer in Wilson, just also am not ready to dismiss the idea he could have gotten a little better since he last started to where he can be decent enough for them to win some games with that D and run game.  

1 minute ago, Pine Barrens Mafia said:

assumption doing a whole lot of heavy lifting there friend

Not really. They were 7-10 last year with Breece Hall going down and only playing 7 games. Why would they be that much worse this year? Last year they had Wilson, Flacco, White and Streveler at QB. They go run heavy and have Wilson play smart its not as hard as people are making it out to be. 

1 minute ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I mean just to be clear I am no believer in Wilson, just also am not ready to dismiss the idea he could have gotten a little better since he last started to where he can be decent enough for them to win some games with that D and run game.  

That is the point. People are acting like they were a 2 win team last year. They won 7 games with a rotating group of QB's. Wilson could settle in and play average ball and with a healthy Hall and Cook they are a better team than last year. 

• Agree 2

41 minutes ago, JerseyBills said:

I genuinely feel pretty bad for their fan base

Me too. Kyle Brandt was talking about how he left the stadium shortly after the injury and fans were still coming in. There was a family, mom, dad two sons all wearing Rodgers jerseys walking into the stadium talking about seeing Rodgers play. I remember being that kid excited to see our new "insert player here". To have that just taken away within a series? That hurts

Especially when now, you turn back to the guy they dumped last year. Just brutal

The Jets are screwing themselves by not trying to get another starting caliber QB (won't get elite, but game-manager level).  They are out there:  Winston, Dalton, trading to PIT for Mitch or Rudolph, Colt McCoy, MInshew, Mariota, T. Bridgewater, Keenum, Brisett.  

At least 1/2 of these QBs are better than what they have now and could serve as a competent game manager, which is all the Jets offense needs to push for a deep playoff run.  

Edited by RyanC883

2 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

The Jets are screwing themselves by not trying to get another starting caliber QB (won't get elite, but game-manager level).  They are out there:  Winston, Dalton, trading to PIT for Mitch or Rudolph, Colt McCoy, MInshew, Mariota, T. Bridgewater, Keenum, Brisett.  

At least 1/2 of these QBs are better than what they have now and could serve as a competent game manager, which is all the Jets offense needs to push for a deep playoff run.  

The problem is this week one. All those teams have playoff hopes and good backups

The guys that are FAs right now are not going to help them and no one is trading the top backup, not without squeezing the Jets hard

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Captain Hindsight said:

The problem is this week one. All those teams have playoff hopes and good backups

The guys that are FAs right now are not going to help them and no one is trading the top backup, not without squeezing the Jets hard

true, but I think the Jets have so many young guys on rookie contracts that even trading a 1st for Winston makes sense at this point.  They won't be able to draft one next year, and Rodgers status is up in the air.  Or, PIT may be willing to part with 1/2 of its backups for a 3rd next year and 2nd the following (Jets lack a 2nd next year)>  

5 minutes ago, Einstein said:

That Jets defense will keep them in nearly every game.

so will the RBs and G. Wilson, who just needs the ball near him. 

Edited by RyanC883

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.