Consolation prize - the Jets are screwed

dickleyjones

8 minutes ago, RyanC883 said:

The Jets are screwing themselves by not trying to get another starting caliber QB (won't get elite, but game-manager level).  They are out there:  Winston, Dalton, trading to PIT for Mitch or Rudolph, Colt McCoy, MInshew, Mariota, T. Bridgewater, Keenum, Brisett.  

At least 1/2 of these QBs are better than what they have now and could serve as a competent game manager, which is all the Jets offense needs to push for a deep playoff run.  

Minshew is the only upgrade on this list.

Better off rolling with Zack. Plus, if Aaron is done, now is the time to find out if Wilson is the answer.

• Like (+1) 2

I really can't celebrate this aspect of it.  I feel 100% empathy for the Jets and their fans - getting Rodgers was the right move, and they had such an offseason of hype and high expectation.  To see that crumble after 4 plays was brutal.

That said, I still think they'll be a very competitive team.  I actually think Wilson could be okay for them, if asked not to do too much. With Hall & Cook playing, they'll be able to win games grinding it out and playing great D.  It would not surprise me to see them sneak in the playoffs.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, That's No Moon said:

Zach Wilson looked more competent than Allen on Monday and they have a better run game and defense.

And you think that will play out over the whole season? 

Judas Priest Allen had a terrible game with the emphasis on GAME. It happens to every QB be they elite, great, good, fair or bad.  The only difference is the frequency of sucking.  Allen has demonstrated over 3 FULL seasons and the corresponding 7 playoff games (56 total games) that he rarely sucks and plays at an elite or great level most of the time.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, EmotionallyUnstable said:

This Rodgers extension really looks like it might bite them. They back loaded the deal to a 40+ YO QB who now has a ruptured Achilles. 

but they saved that 1st Round pick, good thing they tossed in that 65% clause. Then again as a Jets fan not sure want them drafting another QB in Round 1 anytime soon. 

2 hours ago, dickleyjones said:

Yes losing sucks. But in the grand scheme of this season i'm not sure what is better, winning that jets game with Rogers still intact or losing with the jets season being destroyed. Of course I lean win because winning is never bad. But considering the Jets could very well have challenged us for a playoff spot with Rogers around, Floyd's play may have been more important than winning.

And yeah, i'd prefer we go 17-0 but the truth is bills dolphins jets are all contenders and there is only so much room. The jets are almost certainly out of the way now.

why are you assuming buffalo even makes the playoffs? keep playing like they did on monday, and you can forget that notion all together. 

I’m sure the Jets are making calls to find another QB. I doubt they roll with Zach Wilson all season, but I don’t know that they’re getting a QB who’s good enough to get them where they want to go.

If the Jets don’t find a decent replacement at QB then we scrape them off the probable AFC playoff  contenders list and we have our likely 7. This is playoff contenders, not SB contenders. We’re left with:

Bills

Phins

Bengals

Browns

Ravens

Jags

Chefs

Chargers 

Something will likely change due to another major QB injury or the like, but I’d bet that list isn’t off by more than one team. 

18 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

I’m sure the Jets are making calls to find another QB. I doubt they roll with Zach Wilson all season, but I don’t know that they’re getting a QB who’s good enough to get them where they want to go.

If the Jets don’t find a decent replacement at QB then we scrape them off the probable AFC playoff  contenders list and we have our likely 7. This is playoff contenders, not SB contenders. We’re left with:

Bills

Phins

Bengals

Browns

Ravens

Jags

Chefs

Chargers 

Something will likely change due to another major QB injury or the like, but I’d bet that list isn’t off by more than one team. 

Well after this week if Raiders beat us, Jets beat Cowboys, Steelers beat Browns you are adding three to that list for sure. 

Without overreacting to week 1 - you assume Buf, KC, CIN, Jac are all locks. That leaves that MIA, NYJ, CLE, BAL, PIT, LAC, LVR all fighting for the 3 spots. 

2 hours ago, That's No Moon said:

Zach Wilson looked more competent than Allen on Monday and they have a better run game and defense.

This is about as bad as the people that power ranked the Rams in the top 10 as if they didn’t win in spite of themselves and clearly would prefer to tank…

I get knee jerk reactions contained to small periods of time, but come tf on, realize that you’re talking about Zach Wilson please. Years of data exists.

I'm kind of liking the Jets +9 this week. I may put some $ on it.   I don't think they will necessarily win, but i think their D can keep it close and I don't think they will punt away the season because Zach Wilson is playing.  We don't really know the guy's ceiling yet.  I'm not a big Dak believer and the Cowboys won't get the gifts that they received in the Giants game.  This just screams being a closer game than the public thinks. 

11 minutes ago, Nelius said:

This is about as bad as the people that power ranked the Rams in the top 10 as if they didn’t win in spite of themselves and clearly would prefer to tank…

I get knee jerk reactions contained to small periods of time, but come tf on, realize that you’re talking about Zach Wilson please. Years of data exists.

Last year in his first stretch they were able to start of 5-1 with including 3 road wins. So its not unfathomable they can play solid D and win with a good running game and limited TO's. I would not bet money on it but would not be shocked either. 

42 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

Bills

Phins

Bengals

Browns

Ravens

Jags

Chefs

Chargers 

I’d replace Ravens and Chargers with Jets and Pats. 

1 minute ago, ngbills said:

Last year in his first stretch they were able to start of 5-1 with including 3 road wins. So its not unfathomable they can play solid D and win with a good running game and limited TO's. I would not bet money on it but would not be shocked either. 

Yeah **** happens but confidently picking Wilson over anybody because of 10 minutes? He’s still very possibly the worst QB in the league 

1 hour ago, RyanC883 said:

true, but I think the Jets have so many young guys on rookie contracts that even trading a 1st for Winston makes sense at this point.  They won't be able to draft one next year, and Rodgers status is up in the air.  Or, PIT may be willing to part with 1/2 of its backups for a 3rd next year and 2nd the following (Jets lack a 2nd next year)>  

so will the RBs and G. Wilson, who just needs the ball near him. 

Trading a 1st round pick for Jamies Winston should get Joe Douglas fired. He was Andy Daltons backup last year. 

Jets are in a tough spot, but they would be better off sticking with their own disappointment at QB than dumpster diving. JMO

All I know is that in the past three games vs. the Jets we haven't had a great game yet.  We've scored a pathetic 20, 17, and 16 points in those games.  

Defensively we've allowed Wilson to go 2-0 the last two against us.  White gave us a game too.  

Last season 6 teams scored more than our 20 point best against them, and at least three of them didn't have offenses anywhere near what we have.  Cleveland (30), Baltimore (24) and NE (22).  

We should beat them at home easily come November.  But we shouldn't look past them to the following Eagles game.  

• Like (+1) 1

21 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Well after this week if Raiders beat us, Jets beat Cowboys, Steelers beat Browns you are adding three to that list for sure. 

Without overreacting to week 1 - you assume Buf, KC, CIN, Jac are all locks. That leaves that MIA, NYJ, CLE, BAL, PIT, LAC, LVR all fighting for the 3 spots. 

LOL. No. My list coming into the season was the same 8 AFC teams vying for 7 playoff spots. I figured one or two teams would drop off due to injury - Miami and NYJ being the most likely. The Jets are now that first one off. I’ll reconsider if they acquire a quality QB. Further movement will take either another major injury or some other big development.

No single team is a 100% lock though. so I don’t assume the teams you listed are locks. I’m just looking at the AFC and trying to figure out which teams are the best. Any team could lose its QB or have some other major issue, including the Bills. So it’s not that I wouldn’t change my list, but it’ll take more than a bad week or two by a team to change my opinion. 

29 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

Blame #Mango !  He put the cheech on Rodgers!

I didn't buy them....thank god, some corporation did. Honestly it was a blast. I checked resale and they were $4k a piece. I'd never spend that for a single game ticket that wasn't the SB. So probably a once in a lifetime ticket. 

Unfortunately I didn't make it to the tunnel I was stuffing my face with shrimp and lobster rolls. I am likely in the background of some of the shots of Rodgers on the cart. I was on the rail in front of the blue tent. You would think they would radio a cart to come over, but it was just one random arm that stuck out the back corner and waived them over.

This could be better for the Jets in the long run. Rodgers was done anyway.  They were stupid to give up what they did for him, at his age.  Wilson is not without talent and this might be the chance he needed.  He wasn’t going to get this chance with AR there.  

3 hours ago, teef said:

it was a boom or bust move.  it didn't work out.  i always respect the attempt, but to there was risk.  

teef, not he exact same thing, but I loved Von production last year, but worried about how an advancing-aged player may get dinged.

It worked for awhile, and I believe it will work again when he gets back...same sauce, though.

Yes, freak injury.  I just get more worried about the freak injuries when these guys are older.

Would a healthy Von have made a difference?  Maybe...probably.

30 minutes ago, stinky finger said:

I’d replace Ravens and Chargers with Jets and Pats. 

The Ravens are another team that could lose its QB. While the Chargers always seem to disappoint I think they make the playoffs as a WC. As for Jets and Pats, how many AFCE teams do you think can make it? Wouldn’t that make it all 4? That’s not going to happen.

Also if another team loses its QB for the season, it’ll obviously have a domino effect. If Tua goes down then sure; maybe the Pats squeak in. 7 have to make it. Look at the NFC. There weren’t 7 worthy teams last season (and probably won’t be this season), but they’ll take 7. 

22 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

The Ravens are another team that could lose its QB. While the Chargers always seem to disappoint I think they make the playoffs as a WC. As for Jets and Pats, how many AFCE teams do you think can make it? Wouldn’t that make it all 4? That’s not going to happen.

Also if another team loses its QB for the season, it’ll obviously have a domino effect. If Tua goes down then sure; maybe the Pats squeak in. 7 have to make it. Look at the NFC. There weren’t 7 worthy teams last season (and probably won’t be this season), but they’ll take 7. 

I don’t think Lamar is up to the task. So I don’t include the Ravens. I think they finish last in division.

The Chargers look so good on paper. That’s about it. They will disappoint and miss out. 

I see absolute dog fights in AFCE and AFCN. The WCs come from either. 

3 hours ago, dickleyjones said:

Yes losing sucks. But in the grand scheme of this season i'm not sure what is better, winning that jets game with Rogers still intact or losing with the jets season being destroyed. Of course I lean win because winning is never bad. But considering the Jets could very well have challenged us for a playoff spot with Rogers around, Floyd's play may have been more important than winning.

And yeah, i'd prefer we go 17-0 but the truth is bills dolphins jets are all contenders and there is only so much room. The jets are almost certainly out of the way now.

Let’s see how they do the next few weeks before we call them dead. Their D is very special IMO.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

26 minutes ago, stinky finger said:

I don’t think Lamar is up to the task. So I don’t include the Ravens. I think they finish last in division.

The Chargers look so good on paper. That’s about it. They will disappoint and miss out. 

I see absolute dog fights in AFCE and AFCN. The WCs come from either. 

agree on the dogfights in the AFCE & AFCN. That’s lessened in the E with the demise of Rogers though. 

4 minutes ago, BarleyNY said:

agree on the dogfights in the AFCE & AFCN. That’s lessened in the E with the demise of Rogers though. 

Surely lessened. But to be honest, I’d trust them over a couple of the traditional favorites at this point.

Of course, smart money says take my predictions, do the opposite and laugh all the way to the bank. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, QB Bills said:

As much as Monday sucked for a Bills fan, it was way worse for the Jets. Seeing your super bowl hopes disappear 5 minutes into the season was sad. For them of course. But eff them. I thought it was hilarious.

And it ends the Jets hype, which had been unbearable.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.