Can James Cook break a tackle, ever?!?!

zow2

20 minutes ago, zow2 said:

So many people here love the guy. I just don’t see it as i’ve said since last season.  As a RB you simply have to break some arm tackles.  Watch Breece Hall for 2 carries and he’s everything Cook isn’t. 

Yes, when no one touches him, Cook is decent, but that’s the case with any RB.  I need more Damien Harris or Murray.  Cook seems like a nice change of pace, but not THE GUY to me.  Hope im proven wrong 

He is not an everyone down back,  once teams learn to take proper angles he will be shut down .  

10 minutes ago, Roundybout said:

My point is one game doesn’t matter. Especially with a relative unknown like Cook. The Jets defense is absurdly good and I want more of a sample size of Cook as RB1.

what kind of sample size would you like?  Completely drain the qb's confidence size?  Josh Allens play has nothing to do with his teammates can only come from "fans" that have never played a team game.  Lets sacrifice everything for this punk. 

10 minutes ago, Niagara Dude said:

He is not an everyone down back,  once teams learn to take proper angles he will be shut down .  

newsflash..he's already shutdown.  40 yards and how many negative plays...?  they arent even scheming for this kid. 

2 minutes ago, 1onemangang7 said:

what kind of sample size would you like?  Completely drain the qb's confidence size?  Josh Allens play has nothing to do with his teammates can only come from "fans" that have never played a team game.  Lets sacrifice everything for this punk. 

newsflash..he's already shutdown.  40 yards and how many negative plays...?  they arent even scheming for this kid. 

That what I mean,  once they begin to scout him it's over because he cannot break tackles..

You're in deep water OP.  Every time Cook had a positive gain, the "Motor couldn't do that" posts came pouring out in the GDT.  The Motor hate was rampant.  But that 3rd down pass, where Cook stopped and turtled two yards short of the first was something I never saw Motor do.  Motor may not have made the FD, but he would have put his head down and tried.  Cook did not impress me at all.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just now, Niagara Dude said:

That what I mean,  once they begin to scout him it's over because he cannot break tackles..

they wont ever scout him.  he cant draw enough attention.  You saw Aikman point out the Jets are handling the run with light boxes....they only worry about where Allen is going. 

Just now, Freddie's Dead said:

You're in deep water OP.  Every time Cook had a positive gain, the "Motor couldn't do that" posts came pouring out in the GDT.  The Motor hate was rampant.  But that 3rd down pass, where Cook stopped and turtled two yards short of the first was something I never saw Motor do.  Motor may not have made the FD, but he would have put his head down and tried.  Cook did not impress me at all.

That particular play drove me nuts. Should've been at least close to the first down and he decides to brace for impact 2 yards short of the 1st down marker??!?

I thought Cook was replacement level, at best, tonight 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1

36 minutes ago, 1onemangang7 said:

He's gotta be a top 5 back now after that 43 yards, right.  Buck said he looked fantastic.  Why wasnt he on the field in the drive for the tie.  I dont see how nobody gets it here, youre not running a pro style offense.  It's some hybrid run and shoot.  He's not Barry Sanders. They cant afford so many runs for losses cause he's never broke one yet. 

When Buck said Cook was having a fantastic night for the Bills, I had to rewind it and listen again. I'm like, wtf are you watching?

• Thank you (+1) 1

Wow we've got some real 'interesting' fans. Cook is a super talented runner and receiving back for our scheme. LMAO at so many of you. He's not going to break many tackles, that was already known. Seriously, focus on the reality that Josh had an awful game. Cook played well against a monster run D. He gets the edge well, he runs inside well too. Dudes, we were running him on read option out of a shotgun spread formation on most downs. Made his catches too. this thread is nonsense. Loss was almost entirely on Josh and a little on the special teams. I can't fathom why anyone would even think to see Cook as a problem.

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Bubba Gump said:

When Buck said Cook was having a fantastic night for the Bills, I had to rewind it and listen again. I'm like, wtf are you watching?

Cook was clearly on the queue card for Buck/Aikman. 

He finished with 12 carries for 46 yards and 4 catches for 17 yards. I would guess he finished in negative territory for expected yards giving the blocking. 

I think it's generous to say he had even a mediocre game. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, 34-78-83 said:

Wow we've got some real 'interesting' fans. Cook is a super talented runner and receiving back for our scheme. LMAO at so many of you. He's not going to break many tackles, that was already known. Seriously, focus on the reality that Josh had an awful game. Cook played well against a monster run D. He gets the edge well, he runs inside well too. Dudes, we were running him on read option out of a shotgun spread formation on most downs. Made his catches too. this thread is nonsense. Loss was almost entirely on Josh and a little on the special teams. I can't fathom why anyone would even think to see Cook as a problem.

see

45 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

He is listed as 190lbs. Anyone who has played football knows you add a good 3" and 20lbs to your bio. That's not good

Besides the fact that you're measured and weighed at the NFL combine lol

You're getting 3' and 15 pounds on your college resume not in the NFL lol

Cook is small but they're not adding 25 lb to his bio

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, DabillsDaBillsDaBills said:

Cook was clearly on the queue card for Buck/Aikman. 

He finished with 12 carries for 46 yards and 4 catches for 17 yards. I would guess he finished in negative territory for expected yards giving the blocking. 

I think it's generous to say he had even a mediocre game. 

look at these Bills fans praise him though.  What you said though,  i thought that!...they are just selling their game like theyre supposed to.   

Edited by 1onemangang7

I like Cook and have no real issue with him but I absolutely love Harris. I was petrified of him getting the ball more in NE. Now we have him. No surprise he will just be invisible here. This coach would rather dress 7 STs guys than people who can help you at real positions. STs…a thing that has been all but phased out for safety reasons and is played by the 3rd stringers that can’t play real positions. We are the only team left in the league that still treats it like 1/3 of the game. Then we make a bad snap on Bass FG and lose the game on a punt return. Dress 4 or 5 more guys that can help on STs next week…it’s really making a difference 

The Bills are a finesse football team and he fits the bill. Cook is not an every down back. Damien Harris is more of a complete RB. He was a damn good player for the Pats and he got one carry tonight. 

6 hours ago, QB Bills said:

I honestly don't get what people see in this guy. He's the definition of average. Singletary was miles better and even he wasn't a world beater.

I have always felt that way…Singletary was a good RB that never got enough touches. I didn’t like how they basically fizzled him out the offense towards the end of last year and basically just handed Cook the job. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, zow2 said:

So many people here love the guy. I just don’t see it as i’ve said since last season.  As a RB you simply have to break some arm tackles.  Watch Breece Hall for 2 carries and he’s everything Cook isn’t. 

Yes, when no one touches him, Cook is decent, but that’s the case with any RB.  I need more Damien Harris or Murray.  Cook seems like a nice change of pace, but not THE GUY to me.  Hope im proven wrong 

Completely agree. Take away his speed, he runs like a girl. I’m not a fan of him.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, Freddie's Dead said:

That play right there showed me everything I needed to know about Cook. He’s not going to be anything special. Nice lil player but he’s nothing like his brother. We’ll be looking for another back once his rookie deal is done.

Edited by BillMafia716ix
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, zow2 said:

There were at least 3 plays were he slowed down and got tackled because of indecision and one were he tried to take on a linebacker. Each time just running at full speed gets a first dow. Very frustrating.

• Like (+1) 1

I prefaced the thread by saying I hope Cook proves me wrong... and he goes for 120 and 3 TDs vs Las Vegas.  He was not the reason they lost last night.  It's just frustrating even last season, to watch a DB or LB come down in the box, grasp with one arm at James Cook, and see him easily tackled as if he was my 84 year old father running.  Singletary would never ever go down that easily and people killed him here.  Cook should have his touches for sure, I'm just not clear what the best usage down/distance is best.   

6 hours ago, mannc said:

Cook should never, under any circumstances, be asked to run between the tackles.  An o-lineman’s fart could knock him on his ass…

Hey listen here Mr., the delayed draw up the middle being stopped for negative yards has been a staple of this team’s offensive identity for years now. It’s up to Cook to carry on that storied tradition! 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, zow2 said:

I haven’t liked him from day 1. RB’s have to break tackles, and Cook does not. It is that simple.

8 hours ago, zow2 said:

Yes, when no one touches him, Cook is decent, but that’s the case with any RB.  I need more Damien Harris or Murray.  Cook seems like a nice change of pace, but not THE GUY to me.

McBeane's thinking:

- Running Backs are fungible. It is now common wisdom that you don't overdraft/overpay a running back.

- Singletary was a fine player but lacked speed to get outside

- We can compensate for that by bringing in a specialty back/receiver or three who can get outside on pitches, screens, etc. McKenzie, Cook, Hines, Harty.

- The combination of more of a battering ram inside runner (Harris, Murray) and a couple of the speed guys will be better than Singletary

So far? No. One excellent back (Breece Hall) > RB by Committee.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, The Frankish Reich said:

McBeane's thinking:

- Running Backs are fungible. It is now common wisdom that you don't overdraft/overpay a running back.

- Singletary was a fine player but lacked speed to get outside

- We can compensate for that by bringing in a specialty back/receiver or three who can get outside on pitches, screens, etc. McKenzie, Cook, Hines, Harty.

- The combination of more of a battering ram inside runner (Harris, Murray) and a couple of the speed guys will be better than Singletary

So far? No. One excellent back (Breece Hall) > RB by Committee.

Breece Hall with a still healing ACL who is on a pitch count is 50x better than James Cook.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.