Same energy as the last few years?

Kirby Jackson

8 minutes ago, galept said:

If we start off with some dominant wins (Jets, Jags, Dolphins), the excitement will crank up to 11.

If we don't, I might start avoiding these boards for a while...

The boards the same win or lose now and days. We win the same people whine about how we won, we lose those same people whine about how we lost lol.

2 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

Am I alone in lacking the energy and excitement of the last few seasons? Don’t get me wrong, I think that the Bills will be really good. Last year, I was sure that they were winning the Super Bowl. Maybe I just haven’t “recovered” from how last year ended but I’m not feeling that same energy as last year. 

Honestly? Last year, a few hours before kickoff, my dad was in a serious car accident. I remember pacing back and forth in my parents living room, after my fiancé and I went over to feed their dogs. All I knew for sure is my mom rode in the ambulance with him, they had to use jaws of life to get him out, and she had said via text he was “ok,” but I also knew seriousness of situations tend to get down played. 

I was at their house for maybe an hour with the game on. It offered no comfort, no distraction, and no sense of normalcy. It was just background noise that I could force myself to focus on to pass the time. I’ve never re-watched that game, other than clips in other highlight/hype videos because I remember what I was feeling and thinking when the plays happened. 

It re-shaped my perspective more than Damar did, I am definitely more appreciative of everything overall and definitely just went with the flow last year. I feel that’s how my mindset is now. Everyone in my family healthy, my dad is good, I’m getting married next month, and my favorite team is really good and will be on TV the next 6+ months (and other things I can’t announce quite yet 😉). 

I’m super excited for this upcoming season, and want a SB quite badly, I’ve just also gained a new perspective and appreciation of the whole picture. A loss tonight doesn’t dictate the whole season, and the best team rarely wins the Super Bowl. Week One is also a sheite show. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Am I alone in lacking the energy and excitement of the last few seasons? Don’t get me wrong, I think that the Bills will be really good. Last year, I was sure that they were winning the Super Bowl. Maybe I just haven’t “recovered” from how last year ended but I’m not feeling that same energy as last year. 

For me this season has bad things written all over it. Last season I was optimistic. This season not so much. MLB is an issue and I fear the back end has gotten old and slow all at once. I also have zero faith in the OL or any WR not named Diggs.

3 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I'm eager to see them play, but I'm still irritated from January; it still feels fresh. So I'm skeptical, and I'm in "show me" mode. If they show me tonight, I'll be excited again.

So if they win tonight and lose next week will you still be excited?

Just now, BillzFreak said:

So if they win tonight and lose next week will you still be excited?

That's a really interesting question. I think so? Winning at the Jets would show championship mettle and would definitely get the train rolling, so a hiccup next week might be forgivable depending on how it goes down.

1 minute ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

That's a really interesting question. I think so? Winning at the Jets would show championship mettle and would definitely get the train rolling, so a hiccup next week might be forgivable depending on how it goes down.

See this is why week 1 can be so crazy. We beat down the rams last year, only to find out they were a bad team. I definitely want to win this game badly. But we have no idea how the season for any team will shake out. You should be excited about you're football team in week 1 especially. But just understand win or lose today its a grind, we can end up being really good, good or just average. Hope for a hot start but don't be crushed if tonight doesn't go how you want it to. 

• Like (+1) 1

i am same as it ever was. Every year I am excited about the season, this year a bit more so cause I am packed with in-person games, especially before Thanksgiving. Dont get me wrong, I live and die with the results, but being as old as I am and as of yet not having experienced a Buffalo championship...it truly is more about the family and friends and weekends and moments for me.

Can't wait for tonight, Regreeting not going, but kinda not regreeting still being married LOL

• Haha (+1) 1

32 minutes ago, TheyCallMeAndy said:

Honestly? Last year, a few hours before kickoff, my dad was in a serious car accident. I remember pacing back and forth in my parents living room, after my fiancé and I went over to feed their dogs. All I knew for sure is my mom rode in the ambulance with him, they had to use jaws of life to get him out, and she had said via text he was “ok,” but I also knew seriousness of situations tend to get down played. 

I was at their house for maybe an hour with the game on. It offered no comfort, no distraction, and no sense of normalcy. It was just background noise that I could force myself to focus on to pass the time. I’ve never re-watched that game, other than clips in other highlight/hype videos because I remember what I was feeling and thinking when the plays happened. 

It re-shaped my perspective more than Damar did, I am definitely more appreciative of everything overall and definitely just went with the flow last year. I feel that’s how my mindset is now. Everyone in my family healthy, my dad is good, I’m getting married next month, and my favorite team is really good and will be on TV the next 6+ months (and other things I can’t announce quite yet 😉). 

I’m super excited for this upcoming season, and want a SB quite badly, I’ve just also gained a new perspective and appreciation of the whole picture. A loss tonight doesn’t dictate the whole season, and the best team rarely wins the Super Bowl. Week One is also a sheite show. 

You sound like a young man.  Don't let that mindset get dulled.  Trust me when I say you have to keep working on it.  Thanks for your story!

49 minutes ago, BillzFreak said:

See this is why week 1 can be so crazy. We beat down the rams last year, only to find out they were a bad team. I definitely want to win this game badly. But we have no idea how the season for any team will shake out. You should be excited about you're football team in week 1 especially. But just understand win or lose today its a grind, we can end up being really good, good or just average. Hope for a hot start but don't be crushed if tonight doesn't go how you want it to. 

For sure … but an opener against an NFC team is not equivalent to an opener against a Division opponent that has every reason to be believed as a playoff contender. 

3 minutes ago, SCBills said:

For sure … but an opener against an NFC team is not equivalent to an opener against a Division opponent that has every reason to be believed as a playoff contender. 

I understand that as well, but are the Bengals not a playoff contender after a stinker week 1. I'm just saying this season and it's success is more then just week 1 outcomes.

3 hours ago, Kirby Jackson said:

You will after tonight's victory.

I am more low energy. Definitely. I am less excited for this season. I too thought a Superbowl was very possible last year and basically the minute Josh hurt his elbow I thought it was over and said as much on here. Then we lost Von. Then Tre returned a ghost of himself. I just feel like last year should have been the year and the one time we needed a bit of injury luck we got none. 

I still expect the Bills to win the division and to be a good team. But I think maybe I have just got used to us being good. There was an excitement about being good when it was the first time. I kinda went through this journey with Arsenal. I was more excited for the 1998 double that the 2004 season where they went unbeaten because 1998 was the first time in my fandom they were really good. I know the Bills still haven't climbed the mountain but I feel like I am just more used to them being good. 

That all said, I am still using a day's annual leave tomorrow so that I can be with you all this evening for the opener. So that's something. GDT overreactions FTW!!!

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Matt_In_NH said:
3 hours ago, MPL said:

I have zero energy but that's mostly because my 6-month-old has decided he doesn't need to sleep anymore. 

Its all downhill from here.........

The skier in me welcomes a solid downhill. steeper the better. 

3 hours ago, boyst said:
3 hours ago, MPL said:

I have zero energy but that's mostly because my 6-month-old has decided he doesn't need to sleep anymore. 

it's too late now, but you should have got a snoo, or rented one.  game cahnger.

He's been such a solid sleeper in his short life. It really just started to change this week. He must be anxious about tonight's matchup...

• Haha (+1) 1

I try to never get too high or too low. I’ll be the first to admit the Buffalo team opening week last year was without a doubt a Super Bowl squad. That sadly was probably the best complete game they played all year. 
Since Allen has arrived I basically am satisfied with the fact they should be in every game and are capable of beating anyone. 

From what I have noticed I think Bills fans are just mostly over the regular season or traumatized with getting too hyped over the regular season successes and then failing in the playoffs. There’s only one cure for this stuff. 

I think there's a nervousness - are the Bills refreshed? Have they learned from the issues from last season? Will they be able to respond to setbacks? Things feel fragile because the Bills were fragile against the Bengals whilst the first teamer performance against the Steelers, albeit in a pre-season affair, would not have increased confidence or hope. Turn up as they did on August 19th and tonight could be an unpleasant blowout. Play to their best, and it'll be 1-0.

Edited by UKBillFan
  • Like (+1) 1

My expectations are lower. Before 13 seconds, the SB seemed to be right there for the Bills. After that debacle, and the way last season ended--it's only natural to temper hopes until we see how they look. There is also the concern that other teams in the division/conference have caught up-- or passed them. We shall see.

26 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

I try to never get too high or too low. I’ll be the first to admit the Buffalo team opening week last year was without a doubt a Super Bowl squad. That sadly was probably the best complete game they played all year. 
Since Allen has arrived I basically am satisfied with the fact they should be in every game and are capable of beating anyone. 

From what I have noticed I think Bills fans are just mostly over the regular season or traumatized with getting too hyped over the regular season successes and then failing in the playoffs. There’s only one cure for this stuff. 

Alcohol?

7 minutes ago, UKBillFan said:

I think there's a nervousness - are the Bills refreshed? Have they learned from the issues from last season? Will they be able to respond to setbacks? Things feel fragile because the Bills were fragile against the Bengals whilst the first teamer performance against the Steelers, albeit in a pre-season affair, would not have increased confidence or hope. Turn up as they did on August 19th and tonight could be an unpleasant blowout. Play to their best, and it'll be 1-0.

Always a nervousness for opening game, but a game played last January has zero effect on tonight. 

29 minutes ago, Rc2catch said:

Start following baseball ? 

Just now, Boatdrinks said:

Always a nervousness for opening game, but a game played last January has zero effect on tonight. 

Agreed, though similar signs against the Steelers - albeit pre season games should have zero effect tonight too - perhaps increases the nervousness somewhat.

1 minute ago, UKBillFan said:

Agreed, though similar signs against the Steelers - albeit pre season games should have zero effect tonight too - perhaps increases the nervousness somewhat.

Sit back and enjoy. It’s a new season with Josh Allen, Diggs and Co. Even a 3-0 preseason wouldn’t mean a thing today . 

Going into last season it was the most hyped up and revved up I've ever seen Western New York going into a season....everywhere you went about the last two weeks leading into the season people were PUMPED.  It was cool and it was fun but ultimately after the way the season ended last year I think it would be impossible to replicate the feeling and energy everybody had going into last season.  I don't think it means people aren't excited for this season to get underway though, just has a different feeling than last year.  

This is probably the right attitude.  A few years ago we were the underdog.  The surprise team that took the league by storm.  That helps being the underdog.  Last year we were supposed to win it all (so we thought).  For a million reasons - that didn't happen.  Now people are expecting us to just be back in the pack.  Gives us a chance to play that underdog role again.  We're a good team.  We're a Super Bowl team.  But we have to scratch and claw our way there.  Nothing will be given to us this year.  Thats a good thing.  And barring significant injuries - we should be back in the AFC Championship game at a minimum.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.