Happy Trails Mort, Retiring From ESPN

Rico

10 minutes ago, Draconator said:

I personally didn't like his commentary, but I hope he finds exactly what he envisions in retirement. 

What didn't you like?  He was an insider before there were insiders.  Never biased that I noticed, just a lot of good info.

• Like (+1) 5

18 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

He took issue with the Bills handling of Tom Donahoe if I remember correctly. 

Overall, he was a negligible piece of my overall football experience. 

If he ragged on the Bills pre-2018, they probably deserved it. 

Yes. Between the time that Donahoe left the Steelers and went to work for the Bills he worked with Mort at ESPN and the two became friends. When TD was fired, Mort defended him and ragged on Ralph and the Bills organization. In particular, Mort was highly critical of the Bills first draft without TD (in 2006) and reported that there was mass confusion in the war room as led by Marv.

Bills fans (especially on this board) took serious issue with Mort over all this -- and there were multiple posts here about him. That led Tim Graham (who also worked for ESPN at the time and was a friend of Mort's) to get upset and leave this board.

• Thank you (+1) 1

man, remmeber those glory days. espn sunday night with boomer and all - those theme songs, etc. just chills down my neck to think of how great it was before bloviating morons started to go for clickbait and narratives to pull away from the goodness of sports.

• Like (+1) 3

39 minutes ago, Straight Hucklebuck said:

He took issue with the Bills handling of Tom Donahoe if I remember correctly. 

Overall, he was a negligible piece of my overall football experience. 

If he ragged on the Bills pre-2018, they probably deserved it. 

Very true regarding Donahoe

27 minutes ago, Over 29 years of fanhood said:

They’ve been cleaning house but health family and faith makes it sound like he’s fighting something 

He's been battling Esophageal Cancer since 2016. He has looked very ill the last few years. Wish him all the best in retirement. 

45 minutes ago, boyst said:

man, remmeber those glory days. espn sunday night with boomer and all - those theme songs, etc. just chills down my neck to think of how great it was before bloviating morons started to go for clickbait and narratives to pull away from the goodness of sports.

I'm with ya, man.  And Mort was such a huge part of us getting inside information pre-internet.  Mort, Clayton, that blonde with the bug-eyes whose name escapes me right now...

• Like (+1) 2

• Rico changed the title to Happy Trails Mort, Retiring From ESPN
This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.