Travis Kelce Hyperextends Knee

HappyDays

Happened in practice Tuesday 9/5/23. Not clear if he'll play Thursday.

Chiefs' All-Pro TE Travis Kelce hyperextends knee in practice for opener vs Detroit | AP News

https://apnews.com/article/kansas-city-chiefs-travis-kelce-injury-36ed6513beab37c312556a8de4d1a3be

Edited by Donuts and Doritos
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Donuts and Doritos said:

Happened in practice Tuesday 9/5/23. Not clear if he'll play Thursday.

Chiefs' All-Pro TE Travis Kelce hyperextends knee in practice for opener vs Detroit | AP News

https://apnews.com/article/kansas-city-chiefs-travis-kelce-injury-36ed6513beab37c312556a8de4d1a3be

That will happen when you stick your foot in your mouth talking about your teammates contract situation.

• Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 8
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

Here's hoping for a fast & full recovery.  I'm probably one of the few Bills fans who likes Kelce.  He's fun to watch when he's not playing us.

But I think people are going to be surprised by KC's offense this year.  They have one of the more average WR corps in the league.  I don't consider that team to be our biggest competition in the AFC right now.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

I have a strange feeling he'll be totally fine and will play Thursday

Even so Chris Jones won't. That is a huge break for the Lions who can score. I took the Lions in my company's pool getting 6.5. But I think the Lions can win this game straight up.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

Well this is an interesting development and Mahomes and the Chiefs about to face a little adversity for once, at least to start the season.

Of course this may all be part of the script to elevate Mahomes to further god status winning another SB this year without more key players. Guess we'll know for sure when we see how the games are reffed with possibly both Jones and Kelce not on the field early in the season.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 1

for reference

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/1807097-antonio-cromarties-timeline-to-recovery-after-suffering-hyperextended-knee

Additionally, just about any of the four main knee ligaments can suffer such damage—such as the MCL, the LCL, the anterior cruciate ligament (ACL), the posterior cruciate ligament (PCL) or, theoretically, any combination of the four.

The magnitude and exact direction of the hyperextension determines the ultimate injury constellation.

With that said, hyperextensions place the ACL at a particularly high risk, as they often cause the tibia, or shin bone, to move forward relative to the femur, or thigh bone—the exact type of motion the ACL usually prevents.

Severe hyperextensions can also threaten the PCL.

When a hyperextension stretches a ligament, it can partially tear—a grade-two sprain—or rupture altogether, a grade-three sprain. Grade-one sprains involve over-stretches with microscopic tearing but no obvious tear on MRI.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

No Chris Jones, No Kelce....i wonder if the line has moved on this news.

I was actually thinking the Lions will pull the upset before the Kelce injury.  If he and Jones miss the game makes it that much easier to pull off the upset.

• Agree 1

14 minutes ago, RoyBatty is alive said:

No Chris Jones, No Kelce....i wonder if the line has moved on this news.

I saw a tweet that said it went from -6.5 to -5.5 with the Kelce news. So basically Vegas thinks he is worth a point.

I still think the Chiefs will move the ball just fine. Against some teams Kelce being out could be the difference between winning and losing, but the Lions project to have an awful defense.

I'm more intrigued by how long the injury lingers. Kelce will be 34 in one month. It's only a matter of time before his body starts breaking down. If this becomes a nagging injury that lingers throughout the season that could make a real difference in their win/loss column.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Chiefs offensive weaponary Thursday if Kelce doesn't play will be as bad as anything the Bills have fielded since 2018. He is literally the difference between them and "Robert Foster looks okay"

3 weeks is typical heal time IF he did not damage anything else major in there.

I was in a full leg cast for a month because of it. 

ID say they lose one of their next 3 games easy

2 minutes ago, Warriorspikes51 said:

Ugh, No.  Never want to see anyone hurt.  What if that was Diggs.  

I don't wish injury on players either.  I won't be upset if a handful of players do get hurt due to their known behaviors but even the lowlife in NFL I won't actively wish for injury I let karma deal out what is deemed appropriate.  

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.