Beane adding a QB to the Practice Squad most likely tomorrow

BillsFanForever19

So the post that the Practice Squad is complete seems to be incorrect. Or they signed someone to it just to release them a day later. 

Not exactly a surprise with Barkley on IR. Have to at least have 2 QB's on the 53 and one on the PS. Hopefully it's someone who can supplant Kyle Allen at some point.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

I say bring in Wentz. He’s certainly not great by any stretch but you aren’t going to get a guy that gives you a better shot at maybe being decent for a stretch. Nobody will have more upside and nobody will have more ability. Maybe this system unlocks his original self a little and we can have a guy behind Josh that could salvage a season incase of injury 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 12
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 2

4 minutes ago, Brianmoorman4jesus said:

I say bring in Wentz. He’s certainly not great by any stretch but you aren’t going to get a guy that gives you a better shot at maybe being decent for a stretch. Nobody will have more upside and nobody will have more ability. Maybe this system unlocks his original self a little and we can have a guy behind Josh that could salvage a season incase of injury 

I would be happy with Wentz. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Disagree 4
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

4 minutes ago, CSBill said:

I would be happy with Wentz. 

The problem with Wentz on your PS is he is a difficult teammate. Some of the stories about him marching around the locker room in Philly telling teammates they were with team Wentz or team Foles are frightening. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Shocked 1
  • Agree 9

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The problem with Wentz on your PS is he is a difficult teammate. Some of the stories about him marching around the locker room in Philly telling teammates they were with team Wentz or team Foles are frightening. 

Yea I didn’t know all that, reports from Philly, Indy, and Washington all about him being a locker room cancer. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Ah, I did not know that part.  I certainly don't want them to add him if he will be trouble in the locker room.  But hopefully he is matured and humbled, since his days in Philly.

1 minute ago, GunnerBill said:

Right! Like imagine if Josh Rosen had actually had a promising year and then a great half a year and then started having a rough stretch with injuries and was just super toxic the way all the reports have him... would people want that version of Josh Rosen? 

Using Rosen as an example because I think most people agree with Rosen having a crap attitude. 

3 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I would pay good money to see the ensuing hilarity if he pulled that "Team Josh or Team Carson" in the Bills locker room

• Agree 3
  • Haha (+1) 5

4 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Oh but just imagine him strutting around, yelling in Von Miller's face "are you team Allen or team Wentz??" followed by the sound of the shower water gurgling down the drain

I mean maybe he needs a team with solid support and clear boundaries... it sounds like he has something more foundational going on with his personality, but I don't know him and have not seen near enough to have a real opinion on him as a person, but I'd be very cautious if I were Beane bringing him onto this roster.

Edited by HardyBoy
  • Like (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, HardyBoy said:

I mean maybe he needs a team with solid support and clear boundaries... it sounds like he has something more foundational going on with his personality, but I don't know him and have not seen near enough to have a real opinion on him as a person, but I'd be very cautious if I were Beane bringing him onto this roster.

There's a hilarious video of Colin Hot Take Cowherd before the 2018 draft laughing at Josh Allen because some people had compared him to Wentz, and he goes on to say Wentz is a great QB and Allen is nowhere near as good as him

• Like (+1) 3

15 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I had heard he was difficult, but WOW! That is exactly the kind of thing that most people never know about when we judge a GM’s decisions. Having better information is a huge part of the job. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I think being on a Practice Squad is just the wake up call he needs. Can't exactly be acting like that when you're not even the #2 QB on the roster.

I have to imagine going into this season without a job has taught him some humility. As would essentially flaming out of the league.

His options are shut up and play or GTFO as a Practice Squad QB. Extremely short leash. And sounds like he needs it.

• Disagree 5

43 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

So the post that the Practice Squad is complete seems to be incorrect. Or they signed someone to it just to release them a day later. 

Not exactly a surprise with Barkley on IR. Have to at least have 2 QB's on the 53 and one on the PS. Hopefully it's someone who can supplant Kyle Allen at some point.

hey bud, my hope is it’s not a journeyman as we have that in Kyle.  A developmental guy like Malik Willis as he can take two to three years to develop and TN has another QB to groom.

Willis is athletic but very raw.  He could develop over three years, and by year 4 of his rookie contract, and we could extend him on quality backup $.  He could eventually be our #2.

My point is get a young athletic QB who are guys can work with over time.

• Like (+1) 2

31 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I had not heard those stories.  Gross, if true.  May I ask if you have a source you could share?

In any event, I do not want Wentz as a backup QB.  If he couldn't be revived by Reich, he can't be revived.

7 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I think being on a Practice Squad is just the wake up call he needs. Can't exactly be acting like that when you're not even the #2 QB on the roster.

I have to imagine going into this season without a job has taught him some humility. As would essentially flaming out of the league.

His options are shut up and play or GTFO as a Practice Squad QB. Extremely short leash. And sounds like he needs it.

You may be correct about what Wentz needs, but why do you think giving someone who may need "an extremely short leash" is what the Bills need in a PS QB?

3 minutes ago, 0017 said:

Malik Cunningham Looked good for the Patriots, he’s mobile and went through training camp in a similar system we run here I believe. 

In my opinion, with how shaky Kyle Allen has looked and some of the rumors about how the team views him - I don't think we're going to bring in a developmental player who's never played a snap of regular season Football. But who knows?

• Like (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

You may be correct about what Wentz needs, but why do you think giving someone who may need "an extremely short leash" is what the Bills need in a PS QB?

I wasn't saying it is or isn't what we need. Just what will probably keep him in line. 

If I'm Beane and I'm interested, I say: "Between how things have looked on the field as a Starter the past couple seasons and the things i've heard, your career is at a crossroad. We're interested in giving you a chance to rebuild your career, but you'll be on the Practice Squad. Keep your nose clean and your mouth shut and maybe you'll earn a backup gig. But it's up to you. If you want a gig, you have to be a total team player. Can you do that?"

Just lay out the bottom line and at this point, I think he would comply. It's that or his career is essentially over. Compared to what's out there, his potential his probably the best. And I don't think it's too much of a risk to sign him to the Practice Squad.

But I would understand if we passed and went with someone we felt was a safer option for the locker room. Like Colt McCoy.

16 minutes ago, machine gun kelly said:

hey bud, my hope is it’s not a journeyman as we have that in Kyle.  A developmental guy like Malik Willis as he can take two to three years to develop and TN has another QB to groom.

Willis is athletic but very raw.  He could develop over three years, and by year 4 of his rookie contract, and we could extend him on quality backup $.  He could eventually be our #2.

My point is get a young athletic QB who are guys can work with over time.

Malik Cunningham? Malik Willis is a Titan.

As for a developmental guy vs. a veteran, I kind of disagree. Cunningham is a raw Rookie. We want someone who could provide some stability and step in if Josh needs some time and Kyle keeps performing how he looked this offseason. It can't be a question mark, in my opinion. But I could be wrong.

Edited by BillsFanForever19

12 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I had not heard those stories.  Gross, if true.  May I ask if you have a source you could share?

In any event, I do not want Wentz as a backup QB.  If he couldn't be revived by Reich, he can't be revived.

It was like an open secret among Philly reporters at the time. Mutiple alluded to it without explicitly saying it. Don't know if it made its way out in a semi-formal sense.

For those mentioning Carson Wentz or other "name brand" QBs: You probably shouldn't hold your breath.

I expect that they want someone to do what Matt Barkley would be doing on the practice squad: Running scout team offense and giving practice reps to the reserve WRs.

It's almost certainly going to be a young, cheap, fringe, no-name type guy that screams "practice squad QB" and nothing more. I don't think they're bringing in a legitimate (relatively speaking, since no one available right now is any good) quarterback to learn the playbook and then get called up and replace Kyle Allen. That's not what I think they're after.

Edited by Logic
  • Agree 2

35 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

I wasn't saying it is or isn't what we need. Just what will probably keep him in line. 

If I'm Beane and I'm interested, I say: "Between how things have looked on the field as a Starter the past couple seasons and the things i've heard, your career is at a crossroad. We're interested in giving you a chance to rebuild your career, but you'll be on the Practice Squad. Keep your nose clean and your mouth shut and maybe you'll earn a backup gig. But it's up to you. If you want a gig, you have to be a total team player. Can you do that?"

Just lay out the bottom line and at this point, I think he would comply. It's that or his career is essentially over. Compared to what's out there, his potential his probably the best. And I don't think it's too much of a risk to sign him to the Practice Squad.

But I would understand if we passed and went with someone we felt was a safer option for the locker room. Like Colt McCoy.

Malik Cunningham? Malik Willis is a Titan.

As for a developmental guy vs. a veteran, I kind of disagree. Cunningham is a raw Rookie. We want someone who could provide some stability and step in if Josh needs some time and Kyle keeps performing how he looked this offseason. It can't be a question mark, in my opinion. But I could be wrong.

I was talking about Willis on a late day trade, and both yours and my guy are developmental opportunities.  I agree with the Movin the. Chains guys discuss. They evaluated the whole NFL, and we have the franchise guy in Josh, whether you like it or not the backup to fill in has been decided by McBeane os Kyle.  The 3rd should be a developmental guy.  My choice is trade for Willis.  Yours is Cunningham.

The idea is franchise, fill in experienced guy, and a developmental guy.

• Like (+1) 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.