OT Quessenberry released

Process

Seemed like a decent signing but he has been terrible every moment he has played.  

At this point I'd go with Anderson and Bates as your jack of all trades back up OL.  Both can play all the spots on the OL in a pinch.  Yes if there is a good OT that can be found in this round of cuts go after him.  But that seems unlikely at this point.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Process said:

Im not sure what's going on with the pinned threads and this probably one deserves it's own thread anyways.

We've lost/cut Shell, Quessenberry and Doyle this off-season. Basically all of our depth.

Something has to be in the works at OT, no?

Yeah, hopefully Beane is trading for Houston’s Larry Tunsil. Btw, I still believe in Santa Claus…

• Like (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

4 hours ago, Logic said:

It's important to remember as these cuts are announced that with practice squad rules being changed in recent years and the number of practice squad players being increased to 16, NFL teams essentially have 69 (...nice) man rosters these days, not 53.

It's all about who you think you can get through to the practice squad and who you can't.

I'd bet money that the Bills didn't feel they could get Van Demark through waivers (and he's been the better player this offseason, anyway), but they COULD get Quessenberry through. I'd bet on him winding up on the practice squad.

With that said, I do still expect an outside waiver add at OT for the 53 man roster. But it's important to remember all the practice squad, PUP, and IR shenanigans that teams pull during cutdown day, and I think that may apply to Quessenberry.

That's a great tutorial on things Logic.  However, that does not change the fact that we really do not want Quessenberry on the field.  He is not a good football player.  He is not even a mediocre NFL lineman.  He is pretty bad.  Tough guy, playing on the bad ankle last year.  But just not a very good player.  

Can anyone who knows a lot about offensive line play from a technical standpoint explain why there are so few good offensive tackles in today's NFL?  It seems there were a lot more decent to good ones back in the 70's, 80's, 90's and earlier 2000's.  I never loved John Fina.  Thought he was decent but not great.  But by today's standards the guy was a really good player.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Two consecutive threads:  "OT Quessenberry released", and "Boogie traded to the Giants"

Boogie was probably the only DE on the roster that Q could block most of the time, and Q was probably the only OT on the roster that Boogie could beat some of the time.

Just now, Paup 1995MVP said:

That's a great tutorial on things Logic.  However, that does not change the fact that we really do not want Quessenberry on the field.  He is not a good football player.  He is not even a mediocre NFL lineman.  He is pretty bad.  Tough guy, playing on the bad ankle last year.  But just not a very good player.  

Can anyone who knows a lot about offensive line play from a technical standpoint explain why there are so few good offensive tackles in today's NFL?  It seems there were a lot more decent to good ones back in the 70's, 80's, 90's and earlier 2000's.  I never loved John Fina.  Thought he was decent but not great.  But by today's standards the guy was a really good player.

Fina's problem was that he wasn't built like a traditional OT.  No big butt, no big belly to give him a strong heavy base.  He looked more like a good athlete.  Maybe everyone missed a chance by not trying him at tight end.  Anyway, he was somewhat better than what Paup indicated, but not great, certainly no.

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Simon said:

We're just trying to have at least one thread where all the cuts are listed and people can find them quickly without having to wade through 50 pages of discussion.

Unfortunately that thread is being constantly derailed by people with the reading comprehension of a 3rd grader. 🤷‍♂️

569932dc6356227a90ec50d261b3a92f566d69c3

• Haha (+1) 2

My opinion on why good OT’s are hard to find….   College today is all spread offense, ball is out quick, pass a lot more than run.  The college game is very different from the pro game.  Linemen get drafted on potential and RAS scores, they’re not developed like they used to be.

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, Logic said:

It's important to remember as these cuts are announced that with practice squad rules being changed in recent years and the number of practice squad players being increased to 16, NFL teams essentially have 69 (...nice) man rosters these days, not 53.

It's all about who you think you can get through to the practice squad and who you can't.

I'd bet money that the Bills didn't feel they could get Van Demark through waivers (and he's been the better player this offseason, anyway), but they COULD get Quessenberry through. I'd bet on him winding up on the practice squad.

With that said, I do still expect an outside waiver add at OT for the 53 man roster. But it's important to remember all the practice squad, PUP, and IR shenanigans that teams pull during cutdown day, and I think that may apply to Quessenberry.

I don't disagree except for this...  With 26 starts under his belt, when some team suffers an OT injury, Quessenberry will look like a tempting acquisition.  If we do PS him, I doubt he'll last the season as a Bill.  Though having watched him play, I can't say I'm broken up about this prospect.  

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, SCBills said:

I worry about RT, both starter and depth, but I have to admit that I really like the rest of this OL.

Bills have the following guys locked down for multiple years:

-McGovern (OG)

-Torrence (OG)

-Bates (OG/C)

-Anderson (OG/C/RT)

-Van Demark (LT)

-Dawkins (LT)

-Brown (RT)

All guys that are solid and/or with upside.

Very happy that it seems the FO is done with the band-aid veteran options being brought in to protect Josh Allen. 

Yep, Beane did a decent job considering he was on a budget and shopping at the Dollar Tree.

I'd be happier if Shell hadn't retired.

And even happier yet if we had a couple of All-Pro type maulers to bodyguard our QB and open holes for our backs.  

I remember one game last year, prime time game iirc, and Quess was at LT.   He was bad, but got hurt.  So they brought B. Hart in for a few plays and that was like air for the defender, nothing.  It was embarrassing and Quess had to come in and play the remainder of the game with an injury.  

It was pathetic.

• Agree 1

6 hours ago, BigAl2526 said:

Just to remind everybody, Jason Peters is 41.   There is a story on the web that he is interested in playing for the Jets.  At 41, my guess is that he doesn't need the money and he will only play for the team he chooses.  I' would be a bit surprised if that's the Bills.

If this were the same regime he played for before I'd agree but ownership and front office are different.  Unless he really hates Buffalo area and or fans for dome reason I think he'd sign here if he prefers Bills offer and their chances at a ring.

1 hour ago, CNYfan said:

I remember one game last year, prime time game iirc, and Quess was at LT.   He was bad, but got hurt.  So they brought B. Hart in for a few plays and that was like air for the defender, nothing.  It was embarrassing and Quess had to come in and play the remainder of the game with an injury.  

It was pathetic.

I think that was the Thursday night Pats game in Foxboro. 

8 hours ago, Simon said:

We're just trying to have at least one thread where all the cuts are listed and people can find them quickly without having to wade through 50 pages of discussion.

Unfortunately that thread is being constantly derailed by people with the reading comprehension of a 3rd grader. 🤷‍♂️

Oh pity those who might have not read the entire title .  

19 hours ago, Utah John said:

Two consecutive threads:  "OT Quessenberry released", and "Boogie traded to the Giants"

Boogie was probably the only DE on the roster that Q could block most of the time, and Q was probably the only OT on the roster that Boogie could beat some of the time.

Fina's problem was that he wasn't built like a traditional OT.  No big butt, no big belly to give him a strong heavy base.  He looked more like a good athlete.  Maybe everyone missed a chance by not trying him at tight end.  Anyway, he was somewhat better than what Paup indicated, but not great, certainly no.

What was his years with the Bills?  Was he on the last Super Bowl team and then through the 90's?  I don't remember that well.  Know he certainly wasn't as good as Will Wolford.  Who was an excellent O lineman/O Tackle.  But I think overall better then Dion Dawkins.

On 8/30/2023 at 10:55 AM, Paup 1995MVP said:

What was his years with the Bills?  Was he on the last Super Bowl team and then through the 90's?  I don't remember that well.  Know he certainly wasn't as good as Will Wolford.  Who was an excellent O lineman/O Tackle.  But I think overall better then Dion Dawkins.

He played in the last two SBs, against Dallas, in his first two years, and then played eight more years with the Bills before moving to the Arizona Cardinals.  He was drafted to shore up an aging O line, and he did a good job, not HOF or even WOF-worthy, but still good.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Utah John said:

He played in the last two SBs, against Dallas, in his first two years, and then played eight more years with the Bills before moving to the Arizona Cardinals.  He was drafted to shore up an aging O line, and he did a good job, not HOF or even WOF-worthy, but still good.

Love his weekly podcast too.  Was a real foodie in his Buffalo days and was often at the Left Bank

6 hours ago, Utah John said:

Thanks for John Fina history.  10 years with the Bills and then finished with the Cardinals.  Thats a dam solid career playing at least 10 years in the NFL.  He can be proud of that.  My favorite O lineman was Kent Hull.  A dam good Center.  And a real good guy.  Mitch Morse kind of reminds me of him with his leadership.  Not quite the level of player as Hull was.  But a good player nonetheless.  

• Like (+1) 1

On 8/29/2023 at 9:13 AM, SCBills said:

I worry about RT, both starter and depth, but I have to admit that I really like the rest of this OL.

Bills have the following guys locked down for multiple years:

-McGovern (OG)

-Torrence (OG)

-Bates (OG/C)

-Anderson (OG/C/RT)

-Van Demark (LT)

-Dawkins (LT)

-Brown (RT)

All guys that are solid and/or with upside.

Very happy that it seems the FO is done with the band-aid veteran options being brought in to protect Josh Allen. 

I'm sure I'm in the minority here but IMO there's some really good young talent in this position group. One more good offseason and this unit could become a team strength. Specifically I think some of the backups have starting potential.

On 8/29/2023 at 2:54 PM, CNYfan said:

It was pathetic.

Then what happened? 🙃

On 8/30/2023 at 9:27 AM, BuffaloBillyG said:

RUN, KIRK, RUN!!!

So since the inception of this topic:

• Quess was signed by Minnesota... guess we'll never know if the Bills would have offered him a spot on the practice squad.
  • Germain Ifedi was signed by the Bills. Pretty solid pickup... based solely on credentials lateral or better than Brandon Shell.
  • Nick Broeker was signed by Houston. Lots of people here (myself included) liked Broeker and I believe the Bills did too. There were just too many good young talents ahead of him like Torrence, Edwards, Van Demark, and Alec Anderson.

I'm liking this offensive line but still holding my breath that Dawkins and Brown don't let us down.

• Thank you (+1) 1

On 8/29/2023 at 5:54 PM, CNYfan said:

It was pathetic.

I remember that, I wanna say the TNF game @ New England?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.