The 3 Kincaid catches- we have another elite weapon on o

JerseyBills

1 hour ago, JaCrispy said:

I appreciate the excitement for a nickname…But to me, a good nickname has to be clever, and typically with a double meaning…

For example “The Juice” for OJ…or “The Electric Company” for the OL because they provided the electricity for OJ (The Juice)…or “The Thermanator” combining Thomas’ name with the Termanator…

All those classic nicknames were great because of their clever double meaning…

This is why I advocate for “Swole Beasley”, because Kincaid basically plays a similar position as Cole, has the similar way of getting open, but is just bigger…👍

“A nickname has to be a double meaning”. 

LOL

you got super crispy tonight huh my man?

i like Swole Beasley too.  I’ll be on board if it sticks like the ball to his hands.  If it doesn’t, I’ll stick with my first impression. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ColoradoBills said:

Kincaid was talked up by a lot of draft gurus.  He has performed really well in camp.  He looks pretty good in preseason too.

I'm holding my excitement in check, but it sure is starting to look pretty, pretty, pretty good.

image.jpeg.62f2dd15fb71b150b4bfc82903a50170.jpeg

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, ngbills said:

Just trying to keep it real. I think Kincaid will be a solid TE. He is never going to be the complete block and catch TE but will be more of Engram TE. But many are talking like he was Lebron James. Reality is he started focusing on football late. He went to University of San Diego (not SD State) because he was not recruited and only played in one game as a Freshman. Sophomore year he played in 4 games. This was at a really small school. He then transferred to Utah which was a big upgrade. As a Junior he played in 5 games and had one catch. Then in his Senior year played 14 games with 36 catches. That was his first legit good year. Based on this he stuck around for a 5th year senior season and exploded which is what got him drafted. The hype is mostly based on this one big season, not years of him being the next Kelce. All this said he has potential to be a good TE. I like the pick. I have wanted a legit TE receiving threat for years. But lets slow down the talk of him being a sure thing, his 3 easy preseason catches show is all world unique game altering skills, etc. 

regarding the bolded -  The hype is based on his superior athletic prowess/route running, ridiculous hands and an ability to find the soft spots in zones.  If you watch his route running and hands and don’t come away thinking he’s a special breed, I question your ability to gauge talent.  

of course predicting someone to be the next best TE ever will be frowned upon my the majority……but he landed in the perfect situation with the perfect QB and is flanked by an all pro WR.  He’s set up to succeed similar to how Pat Mahomes was set up to succeed. 

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, maddenboy said:

Swayze

(but for the record, a nickname has to be organic.   Like "Peanut" or "Pork Chop" or "Boogie" or "The Fridge."  That's why you can never give yourself one.  Like nobody ever thought to call you that until that one moment.  And then it was just perfect.  Now i cant not call you that.  And i'll probably forget your real name, soon.)

If you’re gonna go that route it’s gotta be better and play off the roadhouse riff. If he can calm Allen, grab those 1st down conversations in pressure situations then you gotta drop Swayze and go with “The Cooler”.

Edited by Buffalo Junction

1 hour ago, HappyDays said:

Kelce is smooth. That is who Kincaid's movement and understanding of leverage reminds me of. A big part of Kelce's greatness is that he and Mahomes are always on the same page. We know how good the offense looked when Allen and Beasley were always on the same page. Now add 8 inches and 65 pounds to that player.

I think the kid is a natural football player. The main knock on him I've seen is that most TEs take a year or two to acclimate to the pros. I just think he is an exception. For someone that started playing football later in life he has elite instincts as far as making himself available to his QB. His ability to find the gap in zone coverage, catch the ball, then immediately turn his hips and start running in the most efficient direction while still securing the catch is something I've only ever seen from Kelce.

Thanks.  That's a good commentary on the idea.   I understand what you say about how Kelce seems to find the holes in the zones smoothly, naturally, as though he's just running and then he's open.  And I see that in Kincaid.  These videos, he's doing just that - runing down the field and he's open.  Effortless.   And, probably because he's younger and hasn't bulked up yet, I think he runs better than Kelce.  He has some quickness about him - not Beasley quickness, but quicker cuts than Kelce makes.  Still fluid. 

I've done a good job all summer not getting sucked into the idea that Kincaid is some kind of savior, and I'm not starting now.  I'd like nothing better than to have 10 or 15 teams kicking themselves in December because they passed on Kincaid, because if he's that good, the Bills offense will be great.  But for now, I'm content to wait and see.  I won't mind if a bunch of posters are saying "I told you so" in a couple of months.  

• Like (+1) 2

33 minutes ago, Buffalo Junction said:

If you’re gonna go that route it’s gotta be better and play off the roadhouse riff. If he can calm Allen, grab those 1st down conversations in pressure situations then you gotta drop Swayze and go with “The Cooler”.

if you need Google, then it doesnt work.  A nickname should not really be a trivia question.  It should not challenge you to figure it out.

99.9 % of people should instantly think "oh.  . . . of course."

or to put it another way, on draft night when you heard the name of our draft pick, i guarantee an image of Swazye popped into your mind.  T'hats the moment when it was done.  No extra steps needed like mentioning Roadhouse, to make sure people 'get it.'  A good nickname should not make you think "oh, that's clever."  It should make you think "oh.  naturally."

we all got it.  as soon as that face appeared in our minds.

--------

(but i fear i'm just, at this point, arguing to be 'right.'   There is no 'right' in this situation.  a nickname will either stick to him or it wont)

Edited by maddenboy

This is right in line.

INSTANTLY i knew what you meant.  Didnt need to google it.  Dont need some gratuitous reference to birds or a colorful schoolbus.  It does 100% of the work all on its own.

(but not sure thats the best image to conjure.  Unless he was actually hittin that.   Which, not for lack of tryin, i dont think he was.)

Edited by maddenboy

1 hour ago, maddenboy said:

if you need Google, then it doesnt work.  A nickname should not really be a trivia question.  It should not challenge you to figure it out.

99.9 % of people should instantly think "oh.  . . . of course."

or to put it another way, on draft night when you heard the name of our draft pick, i guarantee an image of Swazye popped into your mind.  T'hats the moment when it was done.  No extra steps needed like mentioning Roadhouse, to make sure people 'get it.'  A good nickname should not make you think "oh, that's clever."  It should make you think "oh.  naturally."

we all got it.  as soon as that face appeared in our minds.

--------

(but i fear i'm just, at this point, arguing to be 'right.'   There is no 'right' in this situation.  a nickname will either stick to him or it wont)

If you need google to connect “dalton” with “cooler” then you probably need google to connect “dalton” with roadhouse. 🤷‍♂️ 

6 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I think this thread of a great example of how biased fans are for their own team and players. That includes myself. 

Kincaid makes a few pre season catches and he gets praise, accolades, and optimism is through the roof. Kincaid is unproven in the NFL. Tight ends generally are slow developing in the NFL. Remember all the hype about Pitts? Engram? 

The Bills get throttled by Pitt and several players looked like dog poop, mediocre, subpar, etc...Fans responses are it's only pre season, there's time for improvement, he can get in shape, he can get coached up, he just had a bad game. Come on now! 

What a paradox. Cherry picking is what we do. 

He dropped for a reason. Let that sink in too. 

He's no sure thing especially with Dorsey calling plays. 

He's unproven and I'm going to hope for the best. He certainly can be a weapon. I just have to temper my expectations on a rookie TE who played at Utah. 

This post reeks of "we didn't draft the guy IIIIIIIIII wanted, therefore he sucks".  So which WR did you want us to draft up for?

1 hour ago, Cache said:

Correct.  Last played 2021 and not again until 2024. Utah just got added to the B12 where BYU is.

Really? I did not realize that. They joined the Pac 12 a few years ago. That's interesting they will be in the same conference again. That's pretty cool, actually.

I lived in Utah for a few years, but I have never followed college sports much. Just the NFL for me.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, HappyDays said:

I'm no scout, I leave that up to the experts like @GunnerBill. All I know is that when I watched some of his college tape it was plainly obvious to me that he was going to be successful in the NFL. The fluidity of his routes, the fluidity of his run after catch, the catching ability, the instincts to find gaps in zone defense. For the life of me I couldn't find a single reason to think he would fail in the NFL, as long as he stays healthy. Never thought he would drop to us. Couldn't be happier we got him.

Yep. Fluid route runner and excellent soft hands. He was one of the easiest scouting jobs ever. 1 game of film and you knew those two strength bounced off the page. Lacks the blocking skill to be an all around tight end and lacks the speed to be a outside threat as a receiver so that hybrid slot/F-tight end spot is perfect for him.

• Like (+1) 1

8 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

I think this thread of a great example of how biased fans are for their own team and players. That includes myself. 

Kincaid makes a few pre season catches and he gets praise, accolades, and optimism is through the roof. Kincaid is unproven in the NFL. Tight ends generally are slow developing in the NFL. Remember all the hype about Pitts? Engram? 

The Bills get throttled by Pitt and several players looked like dog poop, mediocre, subpar, etc...Fans responses are it's only pre season, there's time for improvement, he can get in shape, he can get coached up, he just had a bad game. Come on now! 

He's unproven and I'm going to hope for the best. He certainly can be a weapon. I just have to temper my expectations on a rookie TE who played at Utah. 

Pitts had a thousand yard season as a rookie. Injuries and Mariota/Ridder held him back year 2. But if Kincaid has a rookie season like Pitts we shouldn't have much ground for complaint.

And Kincaid didn't "drop". He went right about where he should have gone and where he was projected to go. His ceiling in the class was #21 to the Chargers. They were always taking either Johnston or Kincaid and his floor was #28 to Cincinnati. To say he dropped is ridiculous. He went right where both his talent fitted and where the expectations were. If your argument is "well why was his talent slotted in the back half of the first roud?" The answer is because of positional value and his weakness as a blocker (especially in a league where almost half the teams are running the Shanahan stretch zone where a tight end who doesn't block is useless to you). 

• Thank you (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

By the way, since when did "smooth" become a major positive attribute for a receiver?  I don't recall anyone calling any great receiver "smooth."   Maybe Jerry Rice was smooth, but since then, who's smooth?  Diggs?  Debo Samuel?  Kelce?  

Seriously? It’s said all the time. 

3 hours ago, 1ManRaid said:

This post reeks of "we didn't draft the guy IIIIIIIIII wanted, therefore he sucks".  So which WR did you want us to draft up for?

I really like the Kincaid pick. I also liked Zay Flowers and Jack Campbell. Both were long gone though. At the time and now, I think it was a fine pick. 

My only contention is how Bills fans are saying he's the next Kelce. The ceiling is very high and I'm optimistic that he will do well. But come on now let's see how it plays out. That's all I'm saying. 

• Dislike 1

52 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I really like the Kincaid pick. I also liked Zay Flowers and Jack Campbell. Both were long gone though. At the time and now, I think it was a fine pick. 

My only contention is how Bills fans are saying he's the next Kelce. The ceiling is very high and I'm optimistic that he will do well. But come on now let's see how it plays out. That's all I'm saying. 

It’s not just Bills fans saying that

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Seems like youre cherry picking the 3-5 Bills fan that say he will be the next Kelce. The vast majority thinks he has a high ceiling and are optimistic and think he will do well

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 2

6 hours ago, eball said:

Seriously? It’s said all the time. 

Who's smooth?   So far we have Jerry Rice and Marvin Harrison.   Maybe one or both of those guys the Bengals have?   I mean, smooth seems to describe the way the guy looks, but it seems to me that I don't care whether he looks smooth or not.   I care about is catches per target, his yards per catch, etc.  

I mean, if I think about, I might call Shakir smooth, but that doesn't mean I want a receiver room full of Shakirs.  

16 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

Dude, you give the worst examples.

First, yesterday you said we can't play against the physical teams like Pittsburgh and TN.  It's crazy to me that you made that statement being that we beat them by 69 points total last year.  How did we struggle against them??  

You know who else really dropped?  Travis Kelce in the 3rd round.

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Thank you (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Who's smooth?   So far we have Jerry Rice and Marvin Harrison.   Maybe one or both of those guys the Bengals have?   I mean, smooth seems to describe the way the guy looks, but it seems to me that I don't care whether he looks smooth or not.   I care about is catches per target, his yards per catch, etc.  

I mean, if I think about, I might call Shakir smooth, but that doesn't mean I want a receiver room full of Shakirs.  

Is this a bizarro conversation?  You've never heard announcers and analysts talk about smooth route running by a receiver?

• Thank you (+1) 1

17 hours ago, JerseyBills said:

The 3 Kincaid catches- we have another elite weapon on o

Not a single in-season rep. This is way way way way too early to be making statements like this.

Certainly seems possible. But plenty of guys with potential don't achieve it.

Edited by Thurman#1

16 hours ago, newcam2012 said:

What a paradox. Cherry picking is what we do

Yesterday you cherry picked two games from 2 and 3 years ago as examples the Bills can't play with physical teams.

"Well, I can't use 2022 because we beat them by a lot.  Let me find other games in which help my example.  Here we go, 2021 and 2020!"

10 minutes ago, Ralonzo said:

From the Bills past, James Lofton and Frank Lewis.

I thought Lee Evans was smooth in his time here.  He just didn't have a good QB to be highlighted more.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Thurman#1 said:

Not a single in-season rep. This is way way way way too early to be making statements like this.

Certainly seems possible. But plenty of guys with potential don't achieve it.

It’s the offseason—— this is what we do on message boards in the offseason.  We watch, comment, predict and complain.  

No?  Yes.  

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

It’s the offseason—— this is what we do on message boards in the offseason.  We watch, comment, predict and complain.  

No?  Yes.  

Sure, watch comment, predict and complain.

And sometimes go wildly overboard. Which is not unreasonable to point out. 

2 hours ago, Ralonzo said:

From the Bills past, James Lofton and Frank Lewis.

Never saw a lot of Lewis, but Lofton definitely.   So far, all of the comparisons are to Hall of Famers, which means we're dreaming or the Bills have someone really special. 

2 hours ago, eball said:

Is this a bizarro conversation?  You've never heard announcers and analysts talk about smooth route running by a receiver?

I don't know whether analysts have used or not.   I want to know how you measure smooth, and how relevant it is to being a good receiver.   So far, the examples people have named are all Hall of Famers (except Frank Lewis), and it doesn't seem reasonable, at all, at this point in Kincaid's career to say that he has the same thing Rice, Marvin Harrison, Kelce, and James Lofton had.  As I mentioned, I think Shakir is smooth.  If I'm right about that, then smooth doesn't correlate with greatness, so why should I care that Kincaid's smooth?  

I've been on this and the Bills' message board for close to 20 years, and I don't recall people saying about anyone else that the reason he's good is because he's smooth.   But plenty of people are saying it about Kincaid.  

If the guy has good hands, runs good routes, and understands the offense, does it matter if he's smooth or whatever the opposite of smooth is (herky-jerky)?  

58 minutes ago, ngbills said:

Cuts Like Diggs, Hands Like Fitzgerald, Speed Like Tyreek Hill, Strong Like Ox. Induct into HOF now. We have seen enough. 

Have they ever inducted a Hall of Famer after their rookie year?  I think Kincaid could be the first.  

12 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Never saw a lot of Lewis, but Lofton definitely.   So far, all of the comparisons are to Hall of Famers, which means we're dreaming or the Bills have someone really special. 

Lee Evans was smooth.  I thought Robert Woods was a smooth as well. 

• Like (+1) 2

53 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

You have a problem with people being optimistic about our 1st round pick? That's really weird.

I like they pick. I think he can be a solid player. I am just not one to say wow, look he caught the ball and looked like no human ever on the planet. The dude has played like an NFL player should. He caught a few easy passes and ran until he was tackled. We are not even talking about him jumping over two guys, doing multiple flips and scoring. He literally caught quick slants vs a LB playing off in man coverage. Any TE on the Bills roster would have looked similar or they should be cut. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.