The 3 Kincaid catches- we have another elite weapon on o

JerseyBills

6 hours ago, jletha said:

Seems like youre cherry picking the 3-5 Bills fan that say he will be the next Kelce. The vast majority thinks he has a high ceiling and are optimistic and think he will do well

I think he has a high ceiling too. I think he will do well too if utilized property. 

The NFL is a different step up from Utah. Couple that with his limited college football experience. 

There is a huge learning curve here. I think most are minimizing or ignoring this. Another issue is the guy isn't much of a blocker. He will be a liability at times. 

No doubt he can be an offensive weapon. His hands are elite and route running looks very good. Allen should only make him better. 

I'm just not ready to proclaim him as the next Kelce or the one who gets the team over the top. 

Let's look at Cook as an example. Perhaps not totally applicable but nevertheless I think it has some merit. So many here talked about how great he was going to be. So excited about the draft pick. He was going to use his speed and catch the ball out of the backfield. Take it to the house if you will. We all know what happened last year. 

Let's wait and see what kind of impact a rookie TE with limited college football and limited blocking skills will have. Let's wait to see if his elite hands and route running will be utilized by Dorsey. 

There are lots of unanswered questions. Let's be optimistic but realistic too. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Agree 1
  • Dislike 1

9 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't know whether analysts have used or not.   I want to know how you measure smooth, and how relevant it is to being a good receiver.   So far, the examples people have named are all Hall of Famers (except Frank Lewis), and it doesn't seem reasonable, at all, at this point in Kincaid's career to say that he has the same thing Rice, Marvin Harrison, Kelce, and James Lofton had.  As I mentioned, I think Shakir is smooth.  If I'm right about that, then smooth doesn't correlate with greatness, so why should I care that Kincaid's smooth?  

I've been on this and the Bills' message board for close to 20 years, and I don't recall people saying about anyone else that the reason he's good is because he's smooth.   But plenty of people are saying it about Kincaid.  

If the guy has good hands, runs good routes, and understands the offense, does it matter if he's smooth or whatever the opposite of smooth is (herky-jerky)?  

I'm really sorry, Shaw, but this feels like I'm speaking to a toddler.  There are many qualities in an elite pass catcher:  hands, speed, intelligence, route-running.  Smoothness is a component of route-running and transition to after-the-catch.  Guys who don't look like they are expending any effort and then -- BOOM -- they are wide open and you don't know what happened.  You have seen this and know this, but for some reason you are stuck on the word "smooth."

• Agree 2

6 minutes ago, Royale with Cheese said:

Have they ever inducted a Hall of Famer after their rookie year?  I think Kincaid could be the first.  

Lee Evans was smooth.  I thought Robert Woods was a smooth as well. 

I don't agree about Evans.   "Smooth" suggests that the guy makes good cuts effortlessly; Evans wasn't good at making cuts. 

Woods is interesting.  He was smooth.  His route running and Kincaid's are similar in that sense.   I like it.   But again, I don't know that smooth made Woods effective.  

My point is that if you tell me a guy has good hands or bad hands, then I can tell whether he's likely to be a good receiver or not.   If you tell me that he runs routes well or runs them poorly, then I can tell whether he's likely to be good or not.   I don't know what to think you tell me he's smooth.  Yeah, Robert Woods was smooth, but is that what made him a good #2?   I don't think so. 

8 minutes ago, ngbills said:

He literally caught quick slants vs a LB playing off in man coverage. Any TE on the Bills roster would have looked similar or they should be cut. 

No TE on the Bills roster would have made those specific plays. Knox is a straight liner, he doesn't make hard cuts like that or uncover in small spaces. I have no clue why you think this?

No one is saying Kincaid is a guaranteed HOF but if you don't see a special skill set that's on you.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, eball said:

I'm really sorry, Shaw, but this feels like I'm speaking to a toddler.  There are many qualities in an elite pass catcher:  hands, speed, intelligence, route-running.  Smoothness is a component of route-running and transition to after-the-catch.  Guys who don't look like they are expending any effort and then -- BOOM -- they are wide open and you don't know what happened.  You have seen this and know this, but for some reason you are stuck on the word "smooth."

Maybe.   But what I'm reacting to is that many, many posters here who are excited about Kincaid say they're excited because he's smooth.  As I said, what matters are things you mentioned.  Hands, speed, intelligence, route running.   There are plenty of excellent receivers who have those things whom I wouldn't describe as smooth.  Like Deebo Samuel.  I wouldn't describe him as smooth, and it doesn't matter all.  George Kittle isn't smooth.  

I just don't see how being smooth is what's going to make Kincaid a success.  I think a receiver who is smooth is fun to watch; there's some kind of elegance to the efficiency of his movement.   But as I suggested, Shakir is smooth, but it isn't getting him into the starting lineup.  

6 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

No TE on the Bills roster would have made those specific plays. Knox is a straight liner, he doesn't make hard cuts like that or uncover in small spaces. I have no clue why you think this?

No one is saying Kincaid is a guaranteed HOF but if you don't see a special skill set that's on you.

You're right about this.   On those replays, he's more fluid than Davis would have been, and clearly a different animal from any tight end on the roster.  

3 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Who's smooth?   So far we have Jerry Rice and Marvin Harrison.   Maybe one or both of those guys the Bengals have?   I mean, smooth seems to describe the way the guy looks, but it seems to me that I don't care whether he looks smooth or not.   I care about is catches per target, his yards per catch, etc.  

I mean, if I think about, I might call Shakir smooth, but that doesn't mean I want a receiver room full of Shakirs.  

https://syndication.bleacherreport.com/amp/10073149-dalton-kincaid-nfl-draft-2023-scouting-report-for-buffalo-bills-te.amp.html

https://draftwire.usatoday.com/lists/2023-nfl-draft-dalton-kincaid-scouting-report/

https://www.syracuse.com/buffalo-bills/2023/04/5-thoughts-and-a-grade-on-buffalo-bills-drafting-utah-tight-end-dalton-kincaid.html?outputType=amp

https://athlonsports.com/nfl/2023-nfl-draft-profile-dalton-kincaid

https://sports.yahoo.com/why-utah-tight-end-first-045409121.html

yes….. many consider Kincaid to. be “smooth”.  I could link another 10 pages but you get the point. 

2 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I could have made those plays. So yes any TE on the Bills roster could have as well. It is nothing against the guy just that these are normal plays. Just watch any of the 3 guys highlights and you will see plenty of catches that show they are capable of beating a LB for a quick slant. 

Dawson Knox

Quentin Morris

Jace Sternberger 

• Vomit 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

34 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

The NFL is a different step up from Utah. Couple that with his limited college football experience. 

There is a huge learning curve here.

Not really. His experience is a bit limited but he played in a pro style offense at Utah that featured a lot of 12 and even 13 personnel. If there was a big learning curve don't you think we would have heard about it by now? By all accounts he showed up to training camp immediately slotted into a major starting position for our offense. You think McDermott would let that happen if Kincaid didn't know his role in the offense inside and out?

I think a lot of people need to get rid of their preconceptions about what rookie TEs normally do. For a lot of reasons Kincaid is set up to be an exception - the offense he played in at Utah, the offense and QB play he's stepping into, his natural abilities and instincts. It's fair to keep expectations for any rookie reasonably low but Kincaid has a lot of advantages that most rookies don't have.

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Not really. His experience is a bit limited but he played in a pro style offense at Utah that featured a lot of 12 and even 13 personnel. If there was a big learning curve don't you think we would have heard about it by now? By all accounts he showed up to training camp immediately slotted into a major starting position for our offense. You think McDermott would let that happen if Kincaid didn't know his role in the offense inside and out?

I think a lot of people need to get rid of their preconceptions about what rookie TEs normally do. For a lot of reasons Kincaid is set up to be an exception - the offense he played in at Utah, the offense and QB play he's stepping into, his natural abilities and instincts. It's fair to keep expectations for any rookie reasonably low but Kincaid has a lot of advantages that most rookies don't have.

I will say if Kincaid pops and takes the starting slot position from the jump, that will be so so so huge for this offense. I’m very excited about this kid.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't agree about Evans.   "Smooth" suggests that the guy makes good cuts effortlessly; Evans wasn't good at making cuts. 

Woods is interesting.  He was smooth.  His route running and Kincaid's are similar in that sense.   I like it.   But again, I don't know that smooth made Woods effective.  

My point is that if you tell me a guy has good hands or bad hands, then I can tell whether he's likely to be a good receiver or not.   If you tell me that he runs routes well or runs them poorly, then I can tell whether he's likely to be good or not.   I don't know what to think you tell me he's smooth.  Yeah, Robert Woods was smooth, but is that what made him a good #2?   I don't think so. 

Evans was smooth.  Smooth doesn't just mean good cuts effortlessly.  He was a 4.3 - 40 guy and he didn't look like one...he just ran by them effortlessly like he was gliding.  Lofton was the same way but it looks more smooth because he had long legs and looked like a deer.  I wouldn't say he was a great cut guy.

Smooth is a huge benefit.  Being smooth disguises a route better and you're easier to lose in coverage IMO.  But yes, you need to have the complete package.

I was just pointing out smooth players that weren't Hall of Famers.  

35 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

Maybe.   But what I'm reacting to is that many, many posters here who are excited about Kincaid say they're excited because he's smooth.  As I said, what matters are things you mentioned.  Hands, speed, intelligence, route running.   There are plenty of excellent receivers who have those things whom I wouldn't describe as smooth.  Like Deebo Samuel.  I wouldn't describe him as smooth, and it doesn't matter all.  George Kittle isn't smooth.  

I think the excitement is you don't usually see a "smooth" tight ends.  It's not his only positive trait.  He has great hands. 

21 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

Looks like three views of one catch, but it does look nice. 

first throw #17 drops him from low

Second throw #55 made the tackle

Third throw same people were on same tackle but #55 got him lower on second grab.

they all different. though the second one and third one looks like different views, they not

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

I think he has a high ceiling too. I think he will do well too if utilized property. 

There is a huge learning curve here. I think most are minimizing or ignoring this. Another issue is the guy isn't much of a blocker. He will be a liability at times. 

No doubt he can be an offensive weapon. His hands are elite and route running looks very good. Allen should only make him better. 

I'm just not ready to proclaim him as the next Kelce or the one who gets the team over the top. 

Let's look at Cook as an example. Perhaps not totally applicable but nevertheless I think it has some merit. So many here talked about how great he was going to be. So excited about the draft pick. He was going to use his speed and catch the ball out of the backfield. Take it to the house if you will. We all know what happened last year. 

Let's wait and see what kind of impact a rookie TE with limited college football and limited blocking skills will have. Let's wait to see if his elite hands and route running will be utilized probably by Dorsey. 

He isn't going to be asked to block. If they play Kincaid as a single tight end in 11 I will come back and apologise to you. They will do that very little. He isn't a blocker. The Bills ain't going to use him to block. He will be our leading slot receiver as a rookie.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, newcam2012 said:

Let's wait and see what kind of impact a rookie TE with limited college football and limited blocking skills will have. Let's wait to see if his elite hands and route running will be utilized probably by Dorsey. 

I share the same concern as well as durability...  Suffered a back injury (compression fracture) his final year at Utah that kept him out months.

• Like (+1) 1

19 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

I've been added to the excited group.  Originally while loving the pick, I was of the "draft is for the future crowd", and we'll have to wait for a while to see the real value.  I've upgraded my time table.

If the offense/Dorsey does what I am hoping he will deserve a ton of credit.  There is the growing possibility that Dorsey is going to unleash DK2 on the Jets.  I would love to see it. 

My optimism has reached levels where I have started looking for the   

5 minutes ago, pi2000 said:

I share the same concern as well as durability...  Suffered a back injury (compression fracture) his final year at Utah that kept him out months.

Very good point that I failed to mention. 

12 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He isn't going to be asked to block. If they play Kincaid as a single tight end in 11 I will come back and apologise to you. They will do that very little. He isn't a blocker. The Bills ain't going to use him to block. He will be our leading slot receiver as a rookie.i a

I agree. Don't you think they should change his position to WR rather than TE? 

20 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I’ll certainly stop bitching so much about the WRs if Kincaid emerges as a great 2nd target for Allen out the gate.

Or Davis plays the way he has shown the entire camp.

Edited by eball

Just now, eball said:

Or Davis plays the way he has shown the entire camp.

I would like to see Davis excell. That would really put the offense at another level. 

Personally, I think a lot of Davis success will depend on Kincaid and other receivers. If Davis is the true number 2 WR, I'm not super enthusiastic about Davis breaking out.

1 minute ago, FireChans said:

WR’s generally don’t wait til year 4 to emerge.

And he didn't.  He was hurt last year.

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

I think Davis is who he’s always been

Yes, I'd eagerly take January 2022 Gabe Davis.

27 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He isn't going to be asked to block. If they play Kincaid as a single tight end in 11 I will come back and apologise to you. They will do that very little. He isn't a blocker. The Bills ain't going to use him to block. He will be our leading slot receiver as a rookie.

He's a better and more willing blocker than you give him credit for 

Is he gronk? No 

But blocking ALL comes down to intensity and desire... He always brings intensity when run blocking which is something to build on and coachable

He isn't lax in it ... He has effort 

He will be able to run in line in a few years 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Disagree 1

5 minutes ago, FireChans said:

WR’s generally don’t wait til year 4 to emerge.

And the one area he showed promise was the tough (sideline) catches which went out the window last season. 

That being said, and against my better judgment, I think he’ll have a decent season.

6 minutes ago, FireChans said:

For sure NOT. Call him a TE and you can pay him less when he’s an FA.

Also, you have him work on his blocking.  It's not like he can't get better.   That's what they did the first preseason game.

And when teams start putting in a DB when Kincaid is  out there, then his assignment could be to handle a DB 60 pounds lighter than him.   That kind of blocking assignment/mismatch can really help the appearance of someones blocking skills.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ngbills said:

I could have made those plays. So yes any TE on the Bills roster could have as well. It is nothing against the guy just that these are normal plays. Just watch any of the 3 guys highlights and you will see plenty of catches that show they are capable of beating a LB for a quick slant. 

Dawson Knox

Quentin Morris

Jace Sternberger 

Like @HappyDays said, if you don’t see a special skill set, that’s on you.  

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Here's what those links say: 

The first says this:  Smooth, efficient route-runner on routes that allow him to pick up speed and stride into space.

The second says this:  Kincaid is smooth as a route runner, gliding in and out of route breaks before hitting his second gear in an instant after the ball hits his hands. 

The third says this:  Kincaid is explosive in his release and is a smooth/fluid route runner. 

The fourth says this:  Smooth, nuanced route runner 

So, notice in every one of these quotes, "smooth" is an adjective that either is superfluous because there is another adjective or describes how he looks.   Read each one leaving out the word smooth and you get the same information about 

The first: smooth is how he looks.  Leave it out, and it says he is an efficient route runner, which is what matters. 

The second:    Smooth describes how he looks, gliding and out of breaks.  Leave it out, and it say he hits his second gear an instant after the ball hits, which is what matters.  

The third, smooth and fluid describe how he looks.  Leave it out and what it says is that he's explosive in his release, which is what matters.

The fourth, smooth again is how he looks.  Leaved it out and it says he's a nuanced route runner, which is what matters.  

I'm telling you, smooth is just a word that describes how he looks.   There is no smoothness index, no smoothness stat.   Some of the best receivers are smooth, some of the worst receivers are smooth.  The fact that he's smooth doesn't make him good.     

1 hour ago, Shaw66 said:

I just don't see how being smooth is what's going to make Kincaid a success.  I think a receiver who is smooth is fun to watch; there's some kind of elegance to the efficiency of his movement.   But as I suggested, Shakir is smooth, but it isn't getting him into the starting lineup.  

You're right about this.   On those replays, he's more fluid than Davis would have been, and clearly a different animal from any tight end on the roster.  

This really is a strange hill to defend.  It seems as if you’re agitated because fans (and scouts) are excited about Kincaid because he has extremely fluid movement skills. That’s what smooth is.  We aren’t ONLY excited about how smooth he is, but it stands out as one of his best attributes

As you mentioned, route running matters.   Why wouldn’t you think that being and extremely fluid athlete wouldn’t have an impact on one’s route running?  

44 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

Very good point that I failed to mention. 

I agree. Don't you think they should change his position to WR rather than TE? 

Why would they voluntarily give him a (future). 10M pay raise…… for no reason for that.  It’s a title.  That’s all.

answer this:  how would they benefit in changing his position to WR?

41 minutes ago, newcam2012 said:

I agree mainly because he's a WR and not a TE. 

No.  He IS a tight end. 

1 minute ago, NewEra said:

Why wouldn’t you think that being and extremely fluid athlete wouldn’t have an impact on one’s route running?  

Fluid athletes can be lousy route runners.  They can round off their cuts, for example. 

Most good route runners are not described as smooth.   His route running happens to be smooth.   Great.  He's pretty to watch.   Smoothness is descriptive of how he looks, not a physical behavior that is essential to athleticism, like quickness, speed, vertical leap, agility, etc., etc.   All it says is he's a pleasure to watch, because we find smoothness in motion attractive.  We like gliding.  We like how figure skaters flow through their routines.  Smoothness is pretty.   It is a characteristic of some good football players, but isn't a characteristic to being a good football players. 

If smoothness were so important, the combine would test for it.  

22 hours ago, HardyBoy said:

I don't think so, the first one the tackler in the front takes out his legs at the thigh, the other two are different. Also looks like the first he is tackled on the logo, so around midfield, second starts around the 20.

Crazy how similar all three look, he's so smooth and consistent in his movements, it's pretty wild.

Edit: actually I think the second and third shot are the same catch, but the first one is different!

Yes  and on the second/third video like how he is aware he's getting tackled he is proactively sort of tumbling to the ground as the player behind him grabs him.  Instead of fighting and exposing himself to a big hit by the player coming at him from the front.  He kinda tucks into a roll so he able to absorb the hit easier.  

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Buffalo716 said:

He's a better and more willing blocker than you give him credit for 

Is he gronk? No 

But blocking ALL comes down to intensity and desire... He always brings intensity when run blocking which is something to build on and coachable

He isn't lax in it ... He has effort 

He will be able to run in line in a few years 

Yea. Maybe in 2 years. Maybe. Right now he isn't better than I give him credit for. His blocking sucks. He isn't a lost cause as a blocker, cos I agree he seems willing. But right now he sucks.

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1

21 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Yea. Maybe in 2 years. Maybe. Right now he isn't better than I give him credit for. His blocking sucks. He isn't a lost cause as a blocker, cos I agree he seems willing. But right now he sucks.

Sucks is way too strong of a word... I traveled to Utah to watch him play and he certainly wasn't as bad as you make it out

He is a willing blocker, with good aggressiveness... That alone makes it modest..  blocking is all effort 

He's not afraid of contact, and it's something that's easily improvable

He wasn't even the worst blocking tight end drafted... Not close 

So I can't say he sucks because that's way too harsh.. he's going to be blocking this year in some sets 

He has modest potential and he tries hard

He won't be moving people but he can keep a hat on them and he's good in space 

Every single scout that saw him live came away with a better impression of his blocking skills then before because he has effort 

Edited by Buffalo716
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, NewEra said:

Like @HappyDays said, if you don’t see a special skill set, that’s on you.  

Like I said, I have seen plenty of guys catch that pass. I have seen high school kids make that play that are not good enough to play college ball. I have seen college players that are never drafted. I have seen plenty of NFL players do it. Showing his preseason catches is cool and all but I dont walk away saying wow I have never seen that kind of skill. Go watch his game against USC or just his season highlights and you get a better picture of his talent. That is all I am saying. 

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.