What are your top TWO takeaways from the Bills-Steelers game?

Chaos

1 hour ago, HOUSE said:

# 1 The Bills lost a meaningless game

#2 I don't give a sheet

Of course losing the game is meaningless. However, this micro viewpoint is short sighted. 

To blowoff concerns, strengths, weaknesses, coaching, the roster,  etc...is kind of disingenuous. 

Also, under the McD era the Bills have played the pre season games pretty well. Not sure what his record is but it looks as if he likes to establish winning ways in the pre season. 

No need to overreact here but there are some areas of concern that seemingly were amplified after yesterday's game. More specifically, Oline, MLB, and coaching. 

Torrence and Kincaid are looking really good. 

Edited by newcam2012
  • Like (+1) 1

Just now, Mr. WEO said:

I agree it's best not to consider his record in playoff closeout games in the denominator...

Yesterday, regardless of being a preseason game he was out coached. This is a theme regardless the stage. He wins because he has a lot of talent and Josh Allen on the roster. I don't know but one game where he out coached the opposition, and that was against the Ravens. And I'm fairly certain that was just such an obvious choice to make it didn't matter. He has players rise to the occasion, but he never does. He has scapegoated other staff, he decries how there must be accountability, he's a fraud. When players tried to hold him accountable for his mistakes, hughes for example, their ostracized and let walk

Just now, hondo in seattle said:

McD has taken a lot of criticism from the fans over the past couple years, some of it well-deserved.

But Beane has yet to give him a Super Bowl quality roster.  Just take one position group as an example: OL.  

Our roster was no different than the chiefs, I don't think anyone can convince me that their roster was better. We were a better team in 2020 against them with 13 seconds. We have one of the top five rosters in the league. We have had a top five rosters from the league for the last 3 years.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, boyst said:

Yesterday, regardless of being a preseason game he was out coached. This is a theme regardless the stage. He wins because he has a lot of talent and Josh Allen on the roster. I don't know but one game where he out coached the opposition, and that was against the Ravens. And I'm fairly certain that was just such an obvious choice to make it didn't matter. He has players rise to the occasion, but he never does. He has scapegoated other staff, he decries how there must be accountability, he's a fraud. When players tried to hold him accountable for his mistakes, hughes for example, their ostracized and let walk

Our roster was no different than the chiefs, I don't think anyone can convince me that their roster was better. We were a better team in 2020 against them with 13 seconds. We have one of the top five rosters in the league. We have had a top five rosters from the league for the last 3 years.

How did Hughes “hold him accountable for his mistakes?” 

9 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Since you mentioned sample size, let's talk about it.  

Last year, we McD won 13 of 16 regular season games.  Yesterday, we played poorly in a preseason game.  

I think the lack of faith in the past comes from not getting past the divisional round of the playoffs (with the 13 second debacle seared into people's brains" and for the current situation this is the first time McD is taking on duel roles, so that past does not matter for that observation. 

Just now, Roundybout said:

How did Hughes “hold him accountable for his mistakes?” 

There was stuff that happened, specifically after the game. It'll be drug in the daylight eventually. But the general event was the near mutiny in the locker room where fights were on the verge of breaking out between players for the 13 seconds, and things after. 

2 minutes ago, boyst said:

c’mon man…..

the roster that was put together beat KC in KC.  Then injuries happened.  The team that lost vs Cinci was not talented enough to win the SB.  It just wasn’t.  

The coaching didn’t hold up their end either.  I’m not giving them a pass, but saying our roster was no different that the chiefs is blasphemous.  They’re OL >>>>> our OL.  They were healthy. We were not.  

Lots. has to happen to win a Super Bowl.  Getting lucky included.  The getting lucky part avoided us last year to say the least.  

• Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1) The Bills 1's need to stop reading the Buffalo press about how great they are and read some national press, some of which has them at 2nd or even 3rd in a stacked AFCE.

2) McD seems like the kind of coach that can use that kind of crap-fest to the teams advantage.  First get together start off with "You guys Fing sucked out there! If anyone thinks their spot on this roster is guaranteed, they better get their head out of their a$$ pretty damn quick!" ... and then get rude.

Bonus:  Impressed with non-Josh Allen so far.

• Agree 1

6 minutes ago, boyst said:

Let's say we have one of the top five rosters in the league.  Theoretically, the best two rosters go to the SB so that leaves us cold.

On offense, we only have two elite players:  Allen and Diggs.  The rest of our offense has been composed of jags.  We haven't had any elite linemen and overall, our OL is below average.  To maximize Josh's talents, and keep him healthy, we need a much better OL.  

Our secondary could have been good last year if it hadn't been obliterated by injury.  Our DL couldn't get pressure once Von got hurt.

I'm not sure where you see all this roster greatness.   It's a good roster for sure - just not SB quality.   

Given the injuries, we weren't even 13-3 quality last year yet McD got us 13 wins.  

I know your mind's made up and I respect your knowledge of the Bills.  But on McD, you and I (and others) will just have to disagree.   

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

1. The return of Sugar Rush Josh was jarring.

2. The pre-snap penalties is a huge concern, preseason or not.

I noticed Josh looked super antsy also. I have some confidence that will ease but it was jarring to see that again for sure

• Thank you (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Let's say we have one of the top five rosters in the league.  Theoretically, the best two rosters go to the SB so that leaves us cold.

On offense, we only have two elite players:  Allen and Diggs.  The rest of our offense has been composed of jags.  We haven't had any elite linemen and overall, our OL is below average.  To maximize Josh's talents, and keep him healthy, we need a much better OL.  

Our secondary could have been good last year if it hadn't been obliterated by injury.  Our DL couldn't get pressure once Von got hurt.

I'm not sure where you see all this roster greatness.   It's a good roster for sure - just not SB quality.   

Given the injuries, we weren't even 13-3 quality last year yet McD got us 13 wins.  

I know your mind's made up and I respect your knowledge of the Bills.  But on McD, you and I (and others) will just have to disagree.   

For fun. Maybe we make a thread...  name the top/elite players on each roster.  Hmm.  I'm going for an MRI. So I have time to think it over

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

1    Dorsey needs to dial up a non stop short game featuring Kincaid, Cooke and ? With the obligatory long ball to Diggs/Hardy/Davis from time to time.

Quick hitters like the Rams game last year. Get Josh to deal to the playmakers and keep him safe for the first quarter of the season till the O line figures itself out and the team creates an identity.

2. Have the corners play man, on the line, when it’s 3rd down and jam the receivers , not allowing free release and pitch and catch.  

They can’t do #2! Ppl keep saying this. They are a cerebral , slow unathletic back end. They can’t get up on line and jam (maybe taron can do it) bc they will get roasted 

• Agree 2

48 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

Would try to package Basham/Shorter for any kind of younger swing tackle with upside. Not much that can be done at this point. 

It would be ideal and it’s a good thought, but put yourself in another GMs shoes .

Would you trade a young tackle with upside for basham and shorter?

No way I would 

• Agree 1

1 minute ago, balln said:

They can’t do #2! Ppl keep saying this. They are a cerebral , slow unathletic back end. They can’t get up on line and jam (maybe taron can do it) bc they will get roasted 

Elam can.  Taron can’t…..he plays the slot.  

11 minutes ago, CodeMonkey said:

1) The Bills 1's need to stop reading the Buffalo press about how great they are and read some national press, some of which has them at 2nd or even 3rd in a stacked AFCE.

2) McD seems like the kind of coach that can use that kind of crap-fest to the teams advantage.  First get together start off with "You guys Fing sucked out there! If anyone thinks their spot on this roster is guaranteed, they better get their head out of their a$$ pretty damn quick!" ... and then get rude.

Bonus:  Impressed with non-Josh Allen so far.

Do the players get to tell the coaches they sucked too?

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, BillsFooteball said:

1. RT is a huge  issue

2. MLB is a huge issue 

The rest I’m not so worried about. It concerns me that going into the season a SB caliber team before any injuries has 2 significant holes. Understanding cap restraints there has to be something once all cuts are made. 

Playoff caliber team? Yes. Superbowl caliber? Don't personally think so nor did I last year. Not being a Debby Downer but merely saying what to me is reality. We've had holes in our defense and offense. A few elite players with some very good players and too many weak ones. Hopefully they improve the weak ones or we're a wildcard team.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Freddie's Dead said:

1. The return of Sugar Rush Josh was jarring.

2. The pre-snap penalties is a huge concern, preseason or not.

8 minutes ago, JROC INTEL said:

I noticed Josh looked super antsy also. I have some confidence that will ease but it was jarring to see that again for sure

Then tell Jerry's sister she can't come to the games! 😠

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo Boy said:

1    Dorsey needs to dial up a non stop short game featuring Kincaid, Cooke and ? With the obligatory long ball to Diggs/Hardy/Davis from time to time.

Quick hitters like the Rams game last year. Get Josh to deal to the playmakers and keep him safe for the first quarter of the season till the O line figures itself out and the team creates an identity.

I suspect that this is exactly what will be employed against the Jets in week 1.  In fact the last thing the Bills were going to show is how they'll run this type of offensive game plan in the preseason. 

30 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

McD has taken a lot of criticism from the fans over the past couple years, some of it well-deserved.

But it's crazy to criticize the guy for a PRESEASON blow out loss.  Preseason games are funny. If one team shows up ready & motivated to play they'll roll an opponent that is going through the motions.

1 hour ago, BuffaloBillyG said:

BONUS TAKEAWAY: Aaron Kromer is vastly overrated at this stage of his career. There were reports that he and Dorsey had "communication issues" last year that were fixed. There still seems to be issues. Would not shock me if he is gone sometimes between now and the end of the season.

This. There has never been anyone on a Bills coaching staff this immune from criticism. Even when the OL was the main cause of the early exit last year, somehow Delayed Onset Emotional Exhaustion (DOEE) got 100% of the excuse pie. Who could blame them? It was easy and didn't force you to ask uncomfortable questions.

• Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, rusty shackleford said:

1. McD looks ridiculous in those glasses.

2. Josh needs a haircut.

But in serious, the pre snap penalties are unacceptable and reflect a coaching problem. It looks like we may have hit in this draft with Kincaid and O’cyrus.

At this level, penalties are on the players and the players alone.  You don't need coach telling you not to commit penalties after even junior high level football.

• Disagree 1

I will give you one that is not being talked about... The preseason before we came out with the 4-3 early.. then tampa 1 a play or 2 mixed in with nickel defense. 

This game was Vinela nickel all game long... I sincerely hope that is not the game plan on defense moving forward... We do not have the MLB for that kind of defense.

2 minutes ago, NewEra said:

It really was.  I couldn’t stop cringing for 20 minutes after watching that play.  

Sugar rush is his DNA

In the regular season Allen likely runs for a 1st down on that play. It was clear he was instructed NOT to run and as he crossed the LOS he realized "Oh ####" and ran back behind the LOS.  It was actually funny to watch.  It also told you all you needed to know about the Bulls mindset for last nights game:

*  Don't get hurt

*  Don't give away anything about what we'll be doing week one.

*  work out the kinks and get ready for the season opener.

Unfortunately, the Bills came up against a motivated Pittsburgh which fielded one of the top 3 D lines last night and they got after Allen who was trying to operate a vanilla offense for a couple of series. 

What I saw was that Allen looked sharp when he wasn't running for his life.  He threw a fast and accurate ball for several of his completions.  The 35 yard pass to Davis that was called back for holding was jaw dropping.  In fact, on that 2nd Bills drive they were penalized 3 straight plays for 25 yards which also cancelled out 45 yards worth of pass completions.  If the Bills score that drive is anyone really bitching much this morning?

I suspect that in the end getting their a$$'s handed to them in the first half was a good thing.  Over the course of a season most teams need a wake up call.  So for the Bills to get their wake up call in the PRESEASON is ideal.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 2

OK, I just finished watching. Oooooofffff

GOOD: Some of our most recent draft picks looked really good. Cybo and Kinkaid in particular. I am very hopeful that Cybo stays healthy in the trenches. Kinkaid is going to be elite.

BAD: Offensive line play during the final 1/2 of last season was porous to say the least. If the line play this season stays the same or, god forbid, mirrors what happened yesterday, Josh is going to get hurt. AGAIN. It all starts up front, they need to keep him from running for his life every time he drops back. I am astounded that it is not management’s priority to protect their 1/4 billion dollar QB and that they are happy picking linemen from other teams lost and found boxes to do the job.

• Haha (+1) 1

54 minutes ago, hondo in seattle said:

Since you mentioned sample size, let's talk about it.  

Last year, we McD won 13 of 16 regular season games.  Yesterday, we played poorly in a preseason game.  

No our starters got there asses handed to them by a team with a superior coach that had them ready to play.  That is something that has eluded this Bills team for 7 seasons including the playoffs, a top tier coach having his team ready to play.  McD is a average coach and never will be elite.  Get over your worship of this guy he is 100% never going to get our team to a SB.  Period.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

My top two takeaways:

1)  Kincaid and Torrence looked really good.  Like naturals. 

2)  While the Tackles played poorly against a very good Steeler pass rush I didn't see the kind of immediate pressure up the middle that is so devastating to an offense.  On the pass plays the guard play looked solid.

• Thank you (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Toyo321 said:

No our starters got there asses handed to them by a team with a superior coach that had them ready to play.  That is something that has eluded this Bills team for 7 seasons including the playoffs, a top tier coach having his team ready to play.  McD is a average coach and never will be elite.  Get over your worship of this guy he is 100% never going to get our team to a SB.  Period.

You've got an agenda, so this is really a futile attempt: nonetheless, look two posts above for a plausible rationale. The two teams did not approach the game in the same way. That is reflected in how the game played out. I agree that McD has not shown himself to be an elite coach. I do think he is somewhat better than average, though he has the annual clunker and when he does, it looks bad. I don't think this game is indicative as it was not game planned. They were not trying to compete and win, that was not their aim and it is rational that they had other priorities.

Lots of overreaction. Concern about OT is the most significant genuine anxiety. MLB is not great, but I think they can scheme that deficiency to some degree.

Edited by Dr. Who
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1
  • Dislike 1

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.