Training Camp - 8/10 - 9:45am - Final day at Fisher (No Pads)

The Wiz

• Replies 171
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

18 minutes ago, BeastMode54 said:

If Bates is the better RG, that makes the whole line better. But I hate the fact that Torrence hasn't stepped in and won the job. I would have hoped that as such a high pick he'd come in and play well right away. if Torrence was the starting RG that makes the line that much better and deeper

Pass protection is a big pivot - going from a team running options and generally running the ball more than passing... to a team that passes considerably more than they run.  He also plays a position that had a returning starter.  

1 minute ago, ScottLaw said:

I think the line being ok will be a big improvement from what we’ve seen the past couple seasons… it’s been brutal at times… Allen has just masked a ***** ton of its problems. 

Understatement of the year.

There's a reason why Allen was the highest rated passer when he was pressured.  Because he was always pressured.

• Like (+1) 2

7 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I wasn't going to respond, but you're going on about this like the energizer bunny

Maybe check yourself a minute?  You read all sorts of stuff into the tweet without yourself considering the context (when in practice it was tweeted) then when your interpretation is shown incorrect, come up with "really lacks any substantial content"?

If it's so lacking, why don't you either go there yourself and do better at reporting, or else just skip over his tweets and posts which quote them?

I go with this guy:

Whoa there, guy..."check yourself"? 

Look, I respect you as a poster and have had a lot of good interaction with you here...but really dude that's some weak response right there. I point out that I like Ajay. He's done a great job...however there are times that his tweets lack context of any sort. Case in point is this one he just posted a few minutes ago.

Yea, that's a lot of context there. 

As per the original tweet I referred to about Isabella...there was nothing "proven" about anything...which is why other people have other theories about it as well. Wow, people having different ideas about what the context of a tweet means on a message board...how weird.

At this point I'm going to respectfully ask that if you wish to continue the conversation please move it to DMs so we don't clog up the daily thread with this type back and forth.

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Can't wait to see Kincaid's first action on Saturday. Too bad it will be with the lesser Allen throwing the ball but I'm sure his skill set will still pop off the screen.

Same- I’m thinking they somewhat keep him under wraps throughout the preseason games though.  I’d lean towards throwing him 1-2 passes a game in game 1 and 2- then sitting him game 3.  

6 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Agreed.  Scary considering Morses concussion history.  If bates goes down…. 😱 

3 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

If that happens, Bates slides to C and CyBo comes in. 

Probably not

1 hour ago, ScottLaw said:

Hope Davis proves a lot of fans wrong(including myself) but I find it strange that it’s just forgotten he has hurt his ankle every year since entering the league… it’s a trend so not sure why anyone should expect any different?

LOL.  I can say the same as to the bolded about your posts.  Never change Scott!

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Same- I’m thinking they somewhat keep him under wraps throughout the preseason games though.  I’d lean towards throwing him 1-2 passes a game in game 1 and 2- then sitting him game 3.  

Probably not

He's been the talk of Bills camp, this would be such a terribly kept secret. 

• Haha (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, NewEra said:

Probably not

Why would you think that? Bates has spent time with the 1st team at RG and 2nd team at C. Seems pretty logical that Bates would slide over if Morse were to get injured. That versatility is why he’s still here.

• Agree 1

Josh Allen walking along and allowing those fans such an up close personal contact even just touching skin to skin is just so endearing.  That's our QB

The guy rocks on absolutely ALL levels just sayin. #17

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

He's been the talk of Bills camp, this would be such a terribly kept secret. 

I didn’t say keep him a secret.  More along the lines of not showing any of our cards regarding how we use him.  

14 minutes ago, Bangarang said:

Why would you think that? Bates has spent time with the 1st team at RG and 2nd team at C. Seems pretty logical that Bates would slide over if Morse were to get injured. That versatility is why he’s still here.

Because you obviously didn’t comprehend my post properly

32 minutes ago, The Wiz said:

He even catches batted balls.

Those kinds of difficult concentration catches have been totally missing from our offense the past couple years. We finally have a guy that can make those. It's going to make a huge difference.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, Royale with Cheese said:

I'm smart!

https://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/andy-isabella-1.html#kick_ret

Per above he averaged under 20 yards per KO return in college playing against subpar competition with no TDs.  Punts were no different as only 8 returns for under 80 yards and no TDs.  As a pro, not any better and ZERO Tds.

My guess he is a PS veteran stash after cuts are made.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, HappyDays said:

Those kinds of difficult concentration catches have been totally missing from our offense the past couple years. We finally have a guy that can make those. It's going to make a huge difference.

But why was Tim Settle dropping back into coverage?  😂

Updates from Matt Parrino and Ryan Talbot:

Matt here as practice just wrapped.

Stefon Diggs seemed to cramp up at one point but he was all smiles after practice. He looked fine & probably didn't go back in because it was final team period. He also had a small exchange with Kaiir Elam after a pass breakup made by the second-year CB. 

Elam was going up against Trent Sherfield on the play and contested a throw and made the good play. Diggs appeared to chase down Elam across the field. Maybe he said something the All-Pro didn't like after the play but it ended without major incident.

Leonard Floyd had a slight limp after one rep but worked on it on sideline and seemed to be OK.

Terrel Bernard left practice to the medical tent before the start of team drills and never returned. This is a huge development and I'm chasing some information on what happened. Will pass along as soon as we have something.

This is horrible timing for Bernard, who was expected to have an opportunity for a bunch of snaps against the Indianapolis Colts on Saturday. We'll have to wait to get an official word but perhaps could be a chance for Baylon Spector to get even more chances.

Few other observations:

Micah Hyde turned back the clock with a play on a deep ball to the end zone from Josh Allen to Stefon Diggs that brought back memories of the interception he made against the Patriots in the playoffs. Allen had Diggs open for a touchdown and the pass was about as good as it gets. Hyde went sprinting to the catch point and knocked the ball away from Diggs to save the defense from allowing a score.

Gabe Davis finished off a tremendous training camp with another big day that included a half dozen catches. He was so reliable for Josh Allen throughout the day. Bills didn't have pads on but Davis was locked in.

Andy Isabella had one of the most explosive reps of 1-on-1s of all of training camp. He ran circles around Alex Austin, cutting and changing directions on multiple moves before losing Austin for a long TD.

McDermott was asked if his chance of making the team comes down to special teams but McDermott said he has a chance for offense, too. "The more you can do, the more valuable you become and obviously having that potential as a returner, I think bodes well for any player that has a special teams component, especially when you're trying to make a football team. So he's done a nice job to this point," he said.

Justin Shorter had a strong practice to finish out camp. He made a few catches working on the second team with Kyle Allen. After practice, Allen said that Shorter has been getting better every day as he's gotten more comfortable with the offense. Shorter almost had a TD but it looked like Dane Jackson had pass interference on the play.

Dalton Kincaid was the star of red zone work to close out practice in camp. He caught a pair of TDs, the first off a nice move during a 1-on-1 against Matt Milano in some space. The second was a ball that was batted up into the air at the line of scrimmage. Rookie was in right place at right time.

5 minutes ago, Goin Breakdown said:

Haha is he nursing babies out there?

no just slapping hands you cynic you 🙂

26 minutes ago, muppy said:

Josh Allen walking along and allowing those fans such an up close personal contact even just touching skin to skin is just so endearing.  That's our QB

The guy rocks on absolutely ALL levels just sayin. #17

@Airsevenpuking on he being such a nice guy? Gotcha. geesh

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 5

37 minutes ago, The Jokeman said:

McGovern has played Center before, we could slide him to C and put Edwards at LG. 

Yeah I suppose that would be the plan.  

Let’s hope Torrance can beat out Bates so we don’t have to possibly live through this scenario

Edited by NewEra
  • Like (+1) 1

From the Colts site. Starting QB announced vs Buffalo.

WESTFIELD, Ind. – Anthony Richardson will start the Colts' preseason opener on Saturday against the Buffalo Bills at Highmark Stadium, head coach Shane Steichen said Thursday.

Richardson will take the field with the Colts' first-team offense, and Steichen said that group will play about a quarter – though individual playing time will be determined on a case-by-case basis.

Just left camp.

Allen was under constant pressure - without pads. Which worries me, since without pads, it's more about technique. And the d-line's technique was blowing away the o-lines.  I sure hope it was a one day anomaly because if not, we are in for a long season. 

I was also able to see first hand why so many people are concerned about the backup QB position. If Allen ever goes down, we are ****ed. And i'm not talking about a full season - even if we need them for only a game or two - bad news.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, The Wiz said:

Understatement of the year.

There's a reason why Allen was the highest rated passer when he was pressured.  Because he was always pressured.

At least one site disagrees with your thoughts on pressure.  Pro football reference has him as 5th lowest for Pressure % and 6th for pocket time.  The line def got worse as the season went along and wasnt what i had expected but I think it was better than 2021.  I know you dont say it here (but you sorta imply it), but folks talking like we are the worst line in the league while being the number 2 scoring offense.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/passing_advanced.htm

2 minutes ago, YattaOkasan said:

At least one site disagrees with your thoughts on pressure.  Pro football reference has him as 5th lowest for Pressure % and 6th for pocket time.  The line def got worse as the season went along and wasnt what i had expected but I think it was better than 2021.  I know you dont say it here (but you sorta imply it), but folks talking like we are the worst line in the league while being the number 2 scoring offense.

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/years/2022/passing_advanced.htm

That’s because of Allen if you want to see a horror show replay the Bengals game. They practically lived in the Bills backfield. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 2

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.