I have the Bills 53 man roster right here

Matt_In_NH

Here is how I see the 53....actually 54 with Miller on PUP.   I think the Bills will trade one or two guys.    Based on reports I considered Shavers over Shorter but Beane likes his draft picks under 4 year contracts.

Updates prior to Preseason game 1

Morris in, Sterberger out.

Gilliam in Boettger out

Basham in,  no one out.  Explanation.  Every year the Bills set a 53 and waive someone (like Reid Ferguson) that they then sign back the next day after they put someone on IR.  I am predicting they do that with someone below.   So with miller, that makes 55 total guys which is what they did last year to start the season.

Updates prior Preseason Game 2

Brandon Shell out, Ryan Van DeMark in - Shell retired

Bubble guys:  Kyle Allen, Justin Shorter, David Quessenbury, Baylon Spector, Cam Lewis

Updates prior Preseason Game 3

Pushing for a spot:  Cam Cline, Kingsley Jonathan, Andy Isabella

Bubble guys:   Baylon Spector, Cam Lewis, Shaq Lawson, Damien Harris, Khalil Shakir

Trade candidates:  Epenesa, Basham, other DE's if a team is willing to pay something.  Shakir.  I think Beane will be exploring anything if someone is will to provide a pick or possbly a backup tackle.

Updates prior Final Cuts

Klein in, Spector out..he could be season IR or a roster gymnastics guy to get him to in season IR.  Want to find a way to keep Isabella....maybe over Lawson....I think they will weigth chances of guys getting poached, needs etc.   I can see them keeping 7 WR's but putting Shakir on IR

QB    2    Allen, Allen
RB    4    Cook, Harris, Murray, Gilliam
TE    3    Knox, Kincaid, Sternberger  Morris
WR    6    Diggs, Davis, Harty, Shakir, Sherfield, Shorter
OT    4    Dawkins, Brown, Quessenbury, Shell Van DeMark
OG    3    Torrence, McGovern, Edwards, Boettger
C    2    Morse, Bates

DT    5    Jones, Ford, Oliver, Phillips, Settle
DE    5.     Epenesa, Floyd, Lawson, Rousseau, Basham
LB    6    Bernard, Milano, D Williams, Spector, Dodson, Matekavich, Klein
CB    7    Elam, Jackson, T Johnson, Neal, White, Benford, Lewis
S    4    Poyer, Hyde, Rapp, Hamlin

K    1    Bass
H    1    Ferguson
P    1    Martin

PUP        Miller

Lets refine this.   If you are game, you can make one change to the above list.  Copy, paste edit your guy, cross out the guy I kept and put in your guy bolded.    Then someone can make a further edit.  Each person can make one edit and anyone added (bolded) cannot be removed.

Here are the key guys I have as not making it and prime candidates for the PS.  

QB    1    Barkley (Emergency QB)
RB    1    Evans
TE    1    Sternberger
WR    2    Isabella, Shavers
OT    2    Anderson, Doyle
OG    3    Mancz, Broeker, Boettger
C    0    

DT    1    Ankou
DE    2    Jonathan, Ray,
LB    1    Klein
CB    2    Austin, Ingram
S    1    Marlowe

image.png

image.png

image.png

Edited by Matt_In_NH
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think this list is pretty close to accurate. I think I’d put Morris on there instead of Sternberger. Just think they really like him and his familiarity with the team. 

Also think Gillaim makes it. He’s a 4th RB, FB, and TE all in one. Not saying I think they need him but I think they like him. If they keep Sternberger they will keep Gilliam. If they keep Morris then maybe not. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

Here is how I see the 53....actually 54 with Miller on PUP.   I think the Bills will trade one or two guys...I have Sternberger over Morris as a surprise.  I have Basham and Gilliam not making it.  Based on reports I considered Shavers over Shorter but Beane likes his draft picks under 4 year contracts.

QB    2    Allen, Allen
RB    3    Cook, Harris, Murray
TE    3    Knox, Kincaid, Sternberger
WR    6    Diggs, Davis, Harty, Shakir, Sherfield, Shorter
OT    4    Dawkins, Brown, Quessenbury, Shell
OG    4    Torrence, McGovern, Edwards, Boettger
C    2    Morse, Bates

DT    5    Jones, Ford, Oliver, Phillips, Settle
DE    4    Epenesa, Floyd, Lawson, Rousseau
LB    6    Bernard, Milano, D Williams, Spector, Dodson, Matekavich
CB    7    Elam, Jackson, T Johnson, Neal, White, Benford, Lewis
S    4    Poyer, Hyde, Rapp, Hamlin

K    1    Bass
H    1    Ferguson
P    1    Martin

PUP        Miller

Here are the key guys I have as not making it and prime candidates for the PS.   Some of the key cuts are underlined.   This years draft picks are italicized.  I suspect Gilliam will actually make it.

QB    1    Barkley (Emergency QB)
RB    2    Evans, Gilliam
TE    1    Morris
WR    2    Isabella, Shavers
OT    2    Anderson, Doyle,
OG    2    Mancz, Broeker
C    0    

DT    1    Ankou
DE    3    Jonathan, Ray, Basham
LB    1    Klein
CB    2    Austin, Ingram
S    1    Marlowe

Not bad.

I don't think Kyle Allen has done anything to claim a roster spot over Barkley.  If anything, to the contrary.

Hard to say, but the reports I've heard are that Morris is killing it over Sternberger.  Morris getting shots with the 1's.  I don't think Morris gets cut for Sternberger.

Also they love Gilliam for his ST work as well as his positional flexibility from FB to TE to receiving TE.  So unless Stermberger is putting some really surprising play at the end of preseason, it's Gilliam and Morris.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, mrags said:

I think this list is pretty close to accurate. I think I’d put Morris on there instead of Sternberger. Just think they really like him and his familiarity with the team. 

Also think Gillaim makes it. He’s a 4th RB, FB, and TE all in one. Not saying I think they need him but I think they like him. If they keep Sternberger they will keep Gilliam. If they keep Morris then maybe not. 

Well, also at least as far as reports that are coming out, Morris and Gilliam are getting some time with the 1s and playing well.

Also, I know some fans don't want to think about keeping players for ST, but both Morris and Gilliam have been core STers the last couple years.  Like >75% of the snaps.  In a year where the Bills finally moved on from core STers Taiwan Jones, Jake Kumerow, and Jaquan Johnson, I don't see them ditching Gilliam and Morris as well.

• Agree 2

22 minutes ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

3 safeties plus cam lewis? idk

Not 3 safeties. I might keep Marlowe. Or peruse the cut heap at the end of August.

16 minutes ago, SoCal Deek said:

There are many on here that know better than me. How does this list look compared to previous years, position by position. For example…10 offensive linemen? Has that been the norm? 

Not the norm. And good point. Boettger could get axed from this projection.

Edited by Airseven

25 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I think Isabella makes the 53

Agree. I think Isabella, Gilliam, and Klein all make the team unless veteran salaries get them cut in favor of cheap rookies/2nd year players.  

A lot can happen between now and Sept 11, and it's entirely possible an injury or two to any of the other 53 named could make way for these three. 

I think the slot receiver position is over-loaded, so could Shakir be odd man out? Traded for low draft pick? Calling Brian Dabol. Does Matakavich make it based on teams? Will Dodson show he's worthy with impressive play in preseason games or will Spector live up to some of his early hype? 

Of the 53, it's pretty easy to pick 45 or so.  We'll have our answers for the others in about 3 weeks. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

49 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Not bad. But cut Sternberger, Hamlin, and Phillips and reconsider your PS options, including Gilliam.

The guys on the bottom are PS candidates, I was not trying to predict the PS as much...I was noting guys I think the team likes or "tough cuts" as guys who could be PS.   

48 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

Not bad.

I don't think Kyle Allen has done anything to claim a roster spot over Barkley.  If anything, to the contrary.

Hard to say, but the reports I've heard are that Morris is killing it over Sternberger.  Morris getting shots with the 1's.  I don't think Morris gets cut for Sternberger.

Also they love Gilliam for his ST work as well as his positional flexibility from FB to TE to receiving TE.  So unless Stermberger is putting some really surprising play at the end of preseason, it's Gilliam and Morris.

I am sure you are right....Morris is the likely pick.....I was just trying to mix it up some.

• Like (+1) 1

Once again, the biggest weakness is the offensive line, particularly the pass protection on the right side. None of the reports out of training camp that I've seen reassure me on this point. No viable replacements in free agency left, Beane in "Hoping for the best" mode. Again.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

58 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I am pretty convinced Gilliam makes it.

I think I agree with you. My reason for cutting him is I am not sure he would get grabbed by anyone and they could call him up if they need him for a particular game.  I think special teams and the things he does on offense when needed probably gains him a spot on the 53.  Going through the exercise is hard, someone you dont want/think should be cut needs to be.

23 minutes ago, wppete said:

Pretty everyone you have on the PS roster will get snatched up really quick.

THis is the thought every year....the reality is every team has their own tough decisions.  I am sure a couple of them would get snatched up. and I am sure Beane will try to deal some.  But anyone who signs a guy is putting them on their 53 which means they are cutting an extra body.

36 minutes ago, Special K said:

I might be wrong, but I can't see them keeping 6 LB's and only 4 DE's.

5 DE's with Von Miller and I dont think 6 LB's is out of line much with previous years.  Matekavich is a special teams guy who they put "LB" next to.   The other backups will be key teams players also.

38 minutes ago, Airseven said:

Not 3 safeties. I might keep Marlowe. Or peruse the cut heap at the end of August.

Not the norm. And good point. Boettger could get axed from this projection.

They dress 8 OL every game and typically one or two are scratched.  10 OL is absolutely in line with how the roster looks.

18 minutes ago, Slippery Rubber Mats said:

Agreed. He's as good as gone if he goes to the PS

Trade him........what has he done.  A second round pick who gets scratched a lot.....

Edited by Matt_In_NH

58 minutes ago, JakeFrommStateFarm said:

I think Isabella makes the 53

I cant see this unless he wins the return jobs and is a Hines replacement. He wont be kept over Shorter. There are clear concerns about Isabella's ceiling at WR and Shorter is still an unknown with great potential.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, SoCal Deek said:

There are many on here that know better than me. How does this list look compared to previous years, position by position. For example…10 offensive linemen? Has that been the norm? 

That's actually a tougher question to answer than one might think, because usually the initial 53 man roster reflects a couple of guys who are cut and resigned on a handshake so that we can carry a couple guys onto the roster then put them on IR (eligible to return).

Then by the end of the season it flexes because of injuries

It also flexes with drafting, and what position the ST guy plays.  For example, when we drafted Fromm, we kept an extra QB.  With Taiwan Jones playing RB, we kept an extra RB.  When we drafted 2 DE in one year, we kept an extra DE (2021).  When we drafted 2 LB, keep an extra LB (2022)

Anyway, 10 OL are usually not that thing.  We usually keep 9 - 5 starters, 2 reserve IOL (of whom one can play C), and 2 reserve T (of whom 1 can play as a 6th OL)

But for the last 3 years it's looked something like this:

image.thumb.png.33f0c7b0648a7ea3e2f6e3508a1a3cf1.png

Clever people who do addition might notice that it doesn't break down as 25 players on O and 25 players on D.

Edit: this is an amalgam of the Wiki articles "Buffalo Bills 202x season" (which is inaccurate because of IR during the season) and articles detailing the 53 man roster at cutdown (which are inaccurate because of guys who are IRd, and cut guys then re-signed).  So it's kind of a best guess.

Edited by Beck Water

9 minutes ago, StHustle said:

I cant see this unless he wins the return jobs and is a Hines replacement. He wont be kept over Shorter. There are clear concerns about Isabella's ceiling at WR and Shorter is still an unknown with great potential.

It’s wild how fans/posters get so quickly attached to guys like Sternberger and Isabella. It may be the shiny object thing.

• Eyeroll 3
  • Shocked 1

15 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

They dress 8 OL every game and typically one or two are scratched.  10 OL is absolutely in line with how the roster looks.

NFL OLman are pretty damned tough and fight to stay on the field until they can't walk/ can't lift an arm and go on IR.

If you go on IR, the team backfills by elevating an OLman from the PS. 

Otherwise there were factually 7 games (out of 18) last season in which a single OLman was unavailable, and elevated a guy off the PS to have 9 available to pick from on game day.

32 minutes ago, Matt_In_NH said:

The guys on the bottom are PS candidates, I was not trying to predict the PS as much...I was noting guys I think the team likes or "tough cuts" as guys who could be PS.   

I am sure you are right....Morris is the likely pick.....I was just trying to mix it up some.

I looked it up after I posted, but Morris was also a ST stalwart last season.  So unless Sternberger lights it up on ST during the PS, I think that gives Morris a further edge.

1 minute ago, Beck Water said:

NFL OLman are pretty damned tough and fight to stay on the field until they can't walk/ can't lift an arm and go on IR.

If you go on IR, the team backfills by elevating an OLman from the PS. 

Otherwise there were factually 7 games (out of 18) last season in which a single OLman was unavailable, and elevated a guy off the PS to have 9 available to pick from on game day.

If you are arguing for 9 vs 10, fine....I will not argue much....cut Boettger or whoever.   In terms of injuries, that can vary by year and team.  Just looking at the BIll's season last year is not enough data.

3 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

I looked it up after I posted, but Morris was also a ST stalwart last season.  So unless Sternberger lights it up on ST during the PS, I think that gives Morris a further edge.

I admit this is the one position I went off the reservation mostly to just mix it up.......if I was putting money down, Morris would be the guy.

38 minutes ago, finn said:

Once again, the biggest weakness is the offensive line, particularly the pass protection on the right side. None of the reports out of training camp that I've seen reassure me on this point. No viable replacements in free agency left, Beane in "Hoping for the best" mode. Again.  

Signed a new LG, drafted a RG in the 2nd round who was widely projected to go in the 1st, signed some veteran depth guys as insurance. I don’t see that as Beane trotting out the same unit from last year and simply hoping for the best. 

Edited by Bangarang

54 minutes ago, Beck Water said:

That's actually a tougher question to answer than one might think, because usually the initial 53 man roster reflects a couple of guys who are cut and resigned on a handshake so that we can carry a couple guys onto the roster then put them on IR (eligible to return).

Then by the end of the season it flexes because of injuries

It also flexes with drafting, and what position the ST guy plays.  For example, when we drafted Fromm, we kept an extra QB.  With Taiwan Jones playing RB, we kept an extra RB.  When we drafted 2 DE in one year, we kept an extra DE (2021).  When we drafted 2 LB, keep an extra LB (2022)

Anyway, 10 OL are usually not that thing.  We usually keep 9 - 5 starters, 2 reserve IOL (of whom one can play C), and 2 reserve T (of whom 1 can play as a 6th OL)

But for the last 3 years it's looked something like this:

image.thumb.png.33f0c7b0648a7ea3e2f6e3508a1a3cf1.png

Clever people who do addition might notice that it doesn't break down as 25 players on O and 25 players on D.

Edit: this is an amalgam of the Wiki articles "Buffalo Bills 202x season" (which is inaccurate because of IR during the season) and articles detailing the 53 man roster at cutdown (which are inaccurate because of guys who are IRd, and cut guys then re-signed).  So it's kind of a best guess.

Thanks! This is super helpful. You say it’s tricky but when I look at your three year chart it’s actually very consistent. 

2 hours ago, Beck Water said:

Well, also at least as far as reports that are coming out, Morris and Gilliam are getting some time with the 1s and playing well.

Also, I know some fans don't want to think about keeping players for ST, but both Morris and Gilliam have been core STers the last couple years.  Like >75% of the snaps.  In a year where the Bills finally moved on from core STers Taiwan Jones, Jake Kumerow, and Jaquan Johnson, I don't see them ditching Gilliam and Morris as well.

Yeah consider me one I’d those people. Extra roster spots taken up by ST players is the biggest waste of salary, resources, and roster spots that I could imagine. And that was before all the new rules that are in place to all but eliminate kickoffs going forward. The only time I think an additional roster spot should be taken for STs is for a generational returner. I’m not talking about a Roscoe Parrish or Terrence McGee, I’m talking about Dante Hall or Devin Hester. Anything other than that is a waste of funds and roster spots set aside for players that could actually provide something on offense or defense. 

solid list- 
Beane has his work cut out for him again. 

I think Gilliam makes the team 💯 

I think morris makes the team. I like sternberger too, but I really think morris can be a weapon if used properly 

I hope Shane Ray makes the team but I think he’ll be PS if he makes it though

I don’t think we keep Edwards and Boettger.  If he doesn’t start, Bates will be the primary backup G and C.  I don’t think we will keep 3 backup IOL.  Ike to PS imo.

Sounds like my arch nemesis Cam Lewis is having a great camp.  I think one of the DBs list on your 53 will get cut.  Probably Damar or Cam imo. 

I think Klein will make the team if the MLBs battling for the starting spot struggle in preseason.  I wish Matakavich was cut.

I have no faith in Kyle Allen helping us win a game if Josh is hurt. I really wish he had a better backup. 

isabella could be interesting but I doubt it 

7 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

If Shavers is as good of a gunner as I have heard, they will find a way to get him on this roster.  Some reports I read said he was an elite special teams player.

Maybe he makes it over Matekavich?

That's something i have heard as well, he and Gouraige are my surprise roster makes🤔

Just now, Dan in Owego said:

That's something i have heard as well, he and Gouraige are my surprise roster makes🤔

Also Shavers was an über elite high school athlete, not sure what happened at Alabama?

13 minutes ago, buffaloboyinATL said:

If Shavers is as good of a gunner as I have heard, they will find a way to get him on this roster.  Some reports I read said he was an elite special teams player.

Maybe he makes it over Matekavich?

Special teams is his only way to the roster so this is good for him.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.