Florio: NFL considering XFL kickoff rules

PromoTheRobot

Imo, it brings excitement back to a play thats become mostly a bore. We can say 'they had it right' and be ignorant to player health and the reasons as to why it changed -OR- we can just accept that with time things change and try to find an exciting new solution. This is the best Ive personally seen yet. It doesn't make it a non-play and it doesn't eliminate it from the current game either. Its a solution that mimicks the original in both excitment and the ability to flip a game. The caveat is, man... it wld be annoying to give up multiple TDs a game bc the new version of a coverage crew is terrible.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 5

2 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Big if true but if Florio is the source I’m skeptical. The guy is hated as much inside the league as he is by his readers.

• Agree 1

10 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

Imo, it brings excitement back to a play thats become mostly a bore. We can say 'they had it right' and be ignorant to player health and the reasons as to why it changed -OR- we can just accept that with time things change and try to find an exciting new solution. This is the best Ive personally seen yet. It doesn't make it a non-play and it doesn't eliminate it from the current game either. Its a solution that mimicks the original in both excitment and the ability to flip a game. The caveat is, man... it wld be annoying to give up multiple TDs a game bc the new version of a coverage crew is terrible.

Best part is no touchbacks or fair catches.

8 hours ago, Rc2catch said:

I would be in favor of adapting a few things from the XFL. 

Like open access to video replay and officials conversations.

7 hours ago, Herc11 said:

I'm not familiar with the XFL. So the onside kick goes away?

In the XFL the onside kick is replaced by converting a 4th and 15 from your own 25.

3 hours ago, unbillievable said:

easy onside kick recovery!

See above.

Edited by PromoTheRobot
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 hours ago, gobills1212 said:

Get of my lawn! 

😂

3 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Another interesting rule difference in the XFL is extra points. No more kicking for one. You have to score a TD from 2 yards out for 1 point, 5 yards for 2, or from 10 yards for 3. 

Ridiculous. Too gimmicky.

But this kickoff one, with a 4th and 15 at the 25 to replace onside kicks... interesting. Anyway, if the XFL has been doing this for a full season, everyone can see if it makes sense or not.

7 minutes ago, Jerome007 said:

But this kickoff one, with a 4th and 15 at the 25 to replace onside kicks... interesting. Anyway, if the XFL has been doing this for a full season, everyone can see if it makes sense or not.

Hate, hate and hate some more on this idea.   "Defensive holding, defense.  5 yard penalty... Automatic first down".  Too easy, too frequent and too subjective.  It's a Pandora's box.  Did I mention that I hate this idea?

It's better than not having the kickoff at all. 

Still, with the way it is now the kickoff is almost pointless. Every kick goes into the endzone and gets touched down.

As far as the 1, 2, or 3 points after a TD, words cannot express how much I hate that idea. It cheapens the game, IMO. 

Edited by TheFunPolice

15 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

I don't hate it. It would bring some excitement back to the kickoff and do so in a safer manner. It's better than the stuff we get now.

Kickoff. Touchback. On the rare occasion ball is returned... penalty. The shorter run up would likely reduce penalty flags thrown as well.

Problem I have seeing it implemented is two fold. First, this comes from Florio and I personally don't take anything he says at face value. Wouldn't shock me if this isn't even being discussed. Second, it would require the NFL to acknowledge that the XFL had a smarter idea. I don't see them doing that. They will come up with something based off this idea with a few tweeks that make it worse. IMO.

38 minutes ago, thenorthremembers said:

Dear NFL,  

You had it right to begin with..  Stop messing with stuff.

Love,

Everyone

Kickoffs were the most dangerous play in the NFL, I think 30% of ACL injuries occurred on special teams plays despite ST snaps only being 18% of snaps and kick returns heavily part of that stat. I think doing the XFL rule is fine there is no reason to have such an overtly dangerous play when you can do it in a simpler safer manner that accomplishes the same thing. 

3 hours ago, Jerome007 said:

Ridiculous. Too gimmicky.

Half the rules in the NFL were borrowed from college or other leagues, like the 2pt conversion.

2 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

It's better than not having the kickoff at all. 

Still, with the way it is now the kickoff is almost pointless. Every kick goes into the endzone and gets touched down.

As far as the 1, 2, or 3 points after a TD, words cannot express how much I hate that idea. It cheapens the game, IMO. 

We have 1 or 2 points after now. Why does 3 ruin it all?

6 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Another interesting rule difference in the XFL is extra points. No more kicking for one. You have to score a TD from 2 yards out for 1 point, 5 yards for 2, or from 10 yards for 3. 

I think if that were adopted into the NFL most teams would just go for 2, not really much of a difference in earning 2 vs 5 yards. I do genuinely like the idea of an "action point" and a 3 point conversion. I just think you probably would have to adjust the yardage.

2 minutes ago, billsfan89 said:

I think if that were adopted into the NFL most teams would just go for 2, not really much of a difference in earning 2 vs 5 yards. I do genuinely like the idea of an "action point" and a 3 point conversion. I just think you probably would have to adjust the yardage.

a 3pt conversion is from the 10. Oddly it was rarely used this year in the XFL. Frankly I could see the Bills with Allen making hay with a 3pt play.

3 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

a 3pt conversion is from the 10. Oddly it was rarely used this year in the XFL. Frankly I could see the Bills with Allen making hay with a 3pt play.

If I were to design the rules for the NFL, I would set it up the following way 

1. A simple one-point conversion is from the two, similar to the current two-point conversion. 
  2. A two-point conversion is moved back 5 yards and the snap is take from the 7 yard line. 
  3. A three-point conversion is moved back an additional 10 yards and is taken from the 17-yard line.

Even though a 3 point conversion would be insanely difficult it still would allow games to be within 1-2 scores a lot longer. Currently, a 17-point lead is a "three possession" lead. By adding the ability to get 18 points in two possessions you push back the "three possessions" lead to 19 points. 

I wouldn't even hate the idea of adding a 4-point conversion from the 30-yard line but that may be too "gimmicky". 

18 hours ago, thenorthremembers said:

Dear NFL,  

You had it right to begin with..  Stop messing with stuff.

Love,

Everyone

On June 24, 1922, the organization, now headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, changed its title a final time to the National Football League. 

You're right! Way back in the roaring twenties it was perfect. 

1 hour ago, LarryMadman said:

Godell is hell bent on destroying the NFL as we know it, why! Go back to the original kick offs, geeze!

Don't lose any sleep over that.

12 minutes ago, leonbus23 said:

On June 24, 1922, the organization, now headquartered in Columbus, Ohio, changed its title a final time to the National Football League. 

You're right! Way back in the roaring twenties it was perfect. 

No forward pass. That's a gimmick.

8 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

So kicker is basically a wasted roster spot?

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.