Rodgers Reworks deal, takes $33 million cut, and creates $33 million of cap room for Jets.

Shaw66

What’s to stop a team, especially in NYC, from saying “take this pay cut and we’ll make it up to you with X, Y, Z endorsements”?

Obviously it would have to be implied, because the NFL would likely destroy a team if they found out that to be explicit, but this is pretty random, and strange, of Rodgers to just give up $35M. 

If genuine, good for him… his cap hit after this year is still a problem for the Jets, but it’s not a poison pill franchise cap reset post-Rodgers like it was setting up to be. 

• Like (+1) 1

49 minutes ago, ngbills said:

NYJ - Rodgers, Cook, Hall, Wilson, Lazard, Hardman, Davis, Conklin, Uzomah

MIA - Tua, Mostert, Wilson, Hill, Waddle, Berrios, Chosen One, Smythe, Saubert

BUF - Allen, Cook, Harris, Diggs, Davis, Harty, Sherfield, Knox, Kincaid

You could have just wrote Allen that said it all!

Is Aaron Rodgers going to get younger? That is what everyone is missing he is a 39 year old man on the football decline. The New York Jets have the potential to be in last place. I don’t think Aaron Rodgers is going to be great he is going to Bret Favre New York Jets not Green Bay Packers years all washed up. Green Bay Packers don’t get rid of someone if they think

there is anything in the tank there is nothing there in my opinion. Go Bills! Let’s Go Buffalo 

7 hours ago, NewEra said:

I expect them to make a move to an OT soon.  Dunno if that OT will be starter quality…. But I expect something.  If not- I don’t like their chances of winning the division, let alone a playoff game

Any more Buffalo moves?

• Eyeroll 1

On 7/26/2023 at 5:44 PM, Process said:

Even the best team in the league, which the jets are not and will not be, has what a 15% chance of winning the Superbowl? That's an absurd amount of money to voluntarily hand back over two seasons.

lol. So when players hold out they are greedy SOB’s. And when they restructure to help the team they are delusional/foolish?🤷🏻‍♂️

im just playing with you btw. Id hate to be in the public eye and have every move critiqued 

Edited by bobobonators

On 7/26/2023 at 6:28 PM, Shaw66 said:

Is saying this created $33 million in cap space, accurate? From what I’ve seen, they only have roughly $7.5 million in available cap this year.  Still enough to sign Dalvin Cook, but not quite what it first appeared to be.  

1 hour ago, TheFunPolice said:

I don't think Rodgers is in decline at all. Green Bay kept adding to the defense and relied on rookies for WR last year. Plus I think he just wanted out 

Lefleur, like McCarthy, are HC because of Rodgers. 

I've been saying this for a long time, but I think Rodgers in NJ is totally uncharted territory.  

People are looking at his recent past and projecting about his future, but the circumstances are so different now.   You can't compare the last few bad years in GB to now. 

No one knows what he will look like with the Jets until we see him play 5 or 6 games.  

He could be outstanding or terrible, or something in between.

I think it's the most interesting story in the entire league, heading into the season.

• Like (+1) 2

https://www.nbcsports.com/nfl/profootballtalk/rumor-mill/news/aaron-rodgers-signed-a-seven-year-deal-with-no-voidable-years

“Aaron Rodgers signed a 7 year deal with no voidable years”

Right away, Rodgers gets a $35 million roster bonus, subject to five-year proration. He also has a $1.838 million base salary for 2023. His cap number for the current year is $8.88 million.

For 2024, he has a $35 million option bonus and a base salary of $3.161 million. Both are fully guaranteed. And if the option bonus isn’t exercised, Rodgers’s salary for 2024 increases to $38.161 million. The cap number is $17.16 million.

Come 2025, there’s no void. Rodgers is on the books for another $35 million option bonus and a $2.5 million salary. Neither payment is guaranteed. It’s a cap number of $23.5 million, assuming he plays. If he does, he’ll be 41 when the season starts, and 42 by the time it ends. The 2026 through 2029 seasons contain base salaries of $20 million per year.

Becton is having a rough camp so far at LT. He gave up what would have been 3 sacks the other day and was pulled by Saleh. Hopefully these struggles last into week 1. Rodgers is 39 and not very mobile. The Jets OL as a group is a weak spot. Hopefully the Bills can smack Rodgers around on 9/11.

• Agree 1

Looks like Rodgers wants to play more than 2 years. Not everyone can "Tom Brady" Father Time. I really hope this blows up in the Jets faces this year. The meltdown with the NYC area media and fans would be epic.

Rich Cimini on Twitter: "Rodgers says the trip to Canton won’t have him thinking about his own HOF induction some day. He says that’s “eight or nine years” down the road. 🤔 #Jets" / X

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.