Name a random Bills player and one thing you remember about them

4 hours ago, plenzmd1 said:

Damn, I absolutely LOVED everything about that game and always list as a top 5 day Amat the stadium for me. 

Ricky “ Squeaky” Porter went to college with me at Slippery Rock !

So, to give you the backstory...I was a sophomore in college down here at UNC.  I was so excited because this game was during fall break and my dad and I had planned to go when I was home.  It was going to be my first chance to see Jim Kelly live...and then the friggin' strike happened.  We still went, and of course we enjoyed ourselves, but the football (and weather) was awful!  I guess the good part was we moved down into awesome seats.  The most commonly heard phrase all day was "holding on Will Grant."  Before the final OT FG attempt what was left of the crowd was chanting "Schlopy! Schlopy!"  I won't lie, I had fun.

Edited by eball
  • Haha (+1) 2

I was in a restaurant in Atlanta back in 2005/6, and Takeo Spikes walked in.  I had a few in me so I instantly jumped up and walked right up to him and shook his hand and said I was a huge fan. 

I swear to you his neck was as thick as my thigh.  I'm talkin that thing had some GIRTH to it

Forgive me if this had already been listed, I only perused a few of the 13 pages.

While playing for the Buffalo Bills in 2002, DE Chidi Ahanotu chose to live in Toronto, and commute to and from Buffalo - 310 miles - by stretch limousine, which cost him $10,000 per month.

• Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

7 hours ago, Lost said:

Didn't Don Beebe also wear one of these?   I always felt a little embarrassed inside as a kid seeing a Bills player running around like a bobble head especially since I don't remember players from any other teams wearing them.  

On the other hand, I feared for our receivers lives every time we played the Steelers in the 90's.   That defense they had was just nasty

I actually liked the helmet. Probably cause I also had issues with migraines when I got hit in the head when I was younger.

"The Dangerous Roscoe Parrish" had never seen snow before becoming a Bill. In his rookie year, after the first snowfall, he was afraid to go out. Another player had to pick him up at home and drive him to practice.

• Haha (+1) 1

I was an avid collector of Bills cards in the 1990s and absolutely loved finding obscure cards of lessor known players.  I bought an entire set of Nebraska (Sheldon Jackson) and North Carolina (Keith Newman) cards just to get a random Bills player.

Also remember being super pumped to find an Alex Van Pelt 1993 Wild Card rookie in a random box at a card show.

• Haha (+1) 1

4 hours ago, eball said:

So, to give you the backstory...I was a sophomore in college down here at UNC.  I was so excited because this game was during fall break and my dad and I had planned to go when I was home.  It was going to be my first chance to see Jim Kelly live...and then the friggin' strike happened.  We still went, and of course we enjoyed ourselves, but the football (and weather) was awful!  I guess the good part was we moved down into awesome seats.  The most commonly heard phrase all day was "holding on Will Grant."  Before the final OT FG attempt what was left of the crowd was chanting "Schlopy! Schlopy!"  I won't lie, I had fun.

Hung out at Weicheks back then. Tailgated there for the 1pm games , left about 3:30, in our seats 4pm. Think I sat in twenty seats that day! Had views from all over the stadium! Back at the bar prolly at 7:30 even though it was a 4pm game! Loved it! 

• Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, Bill from NYC said:

That reminds me of Dan Brandenberg. He was a pass rushing OLB drafted very late in round 7. In exhibition games he was pressuring and sacking QBs seemingly at will. The kid had great speed and seemed to be very strong. I couldn't believe how he was not drafted earlier, and based on his great preseason play he made the roster.

Well, my bubble burst as soon as the regular season started. He was manhandled by blockers. They put him on special teams where he would get pancaked and soon he was out of the NFL. :( 

O'h wow yes i remember thinking the same 😅

• Like (+1) 1

21 hours ago, Orlando Tim said:

Why you bringing up trauma like this, I was on a road trip in my hotel room with a friend s few doors down the hall and when he did not hear me yell he literally texted me to see if I was ok, he was concerned I had a stroke or something from that play. 

I was on vacation in Cuba and that game put such a damper on the vacation…we had the game in the bag…

Edited by Dave_Bills
Clarity

Monte Ledbetter - wide receiver in the mid-60's.   He came to my elementary school (I was in 4th or 5th grade) to tell us why we should never smoke cigarettes.  I just always thought he had a cool name.  😉 

This is kind of random but -- in the early 1980's I met Ron Jessie in the grocery store. Spoke for just a few minutes. Jessie had an extremely impressive afro - wish that I was lucky enough to have hair like that. Years later I was surprised to hear someone tell me that the old Rick Springfield son "Jessie's Girl" had a connection to Ron Jessie - how strange is that. I know that you can't believe everything from Wikipedia but: 

image.thumb.png.e7b33cfc6bbedf20fd961c56d3a71841.png

Carlton Bailey's brother was active duty military during Operation Desert Storm. When the Bills played in Super Bowl XXV and

Whitney Houston sang the national anthem I remember watching him and wondering how poignant a moment that must have been for him under those circumstances

Edited by muppy

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.